Distance from Adelaide to Sydney

• 98 Replies
?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 09:48:16 PM »
Hey live Quix alone - he's just trying to play along with your theories to keep the AUSpiracy under wraps. We have daily briefings on what the rest of the world is doing - and we're under strict instruction to play along with whatever you guys think...
I'm sure Quix is much more intelligent than he seems, but he does need to try to come across as a lame RE supporter (not that they all are) to keep his cover up! 8-)

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
Firstly, you didnt answer my question people. Where is Adelaide, you are still oblivious to where it actually is, so that is why i told you to consult a map Renaissance.

And once again you proved yourself a laughing stock.

No. it is not exactly 740 miles from Sydney, once again ill help you...its KILOMETRES, can you say that K I L O M E T R E S!! Thats right, the r comes before the e you jackonannies

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 10:03:40 PM »
Quote from: "quixotic"
Firstly, you didnt answer my question people. Where is Adelaide, you are still oblivious to where it actually is, so that is why i told you to consult a map Renaissance.

And once again you proved yourself a laughing stock.

No. it is not exactly 740 miles from Sydney, once again ill help you...its KILOMETRES, can you say that K I L O M E T R E S!! Thats right, the r comes before the e you jackonannies

You're quite the cunning linguist, aren't you?

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 10:07:49 PM »
Quix, you have proven yourself inept again, as kilometres and kilometers are the same thing, but the spelling depends on the country you are in, America uses the spelling kilometers, where as Britain uses kilometres... and since Australia is basically was an English prison at one point, you use metre spelling
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

?

quixotic

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »
Crimson, keep talking, im sorry but once again you have proven yourself a typical American.

Is it or is it not the 'English Language".

Thats right Crimson, it was created by the british and is retained by them. And if you remember, you too were once a colony, but typically American, you decided that you were better then the basis of all words.

Your "American" doesn;t even have any basis with Latin, so do not sit there and tell me that American is the right way os speaking, because its a joke.

Grow up and get in line with the rest of the world.

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 10:25:17 PM »
Actually you ignorant bastard, i speak English, Spanish, and Italian fluently... and lets use spanish for an example, Mexico Spanish is different from Spain Spanish.

Its called a dialect, still part of the same language, but with a few different words and unique grammer things, such as mexico not using the form that is in reference to the informal plural.

And as far as english, i think the language blows, but is important

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »
Um..... kilometres is a unit of measurement used to measure distance....
a kilometer (although I'm unfamiliar with the term) would seem to mean a meter used to measure kilo's (probably kilograms).
I hope this has confused everyone even more :lol:

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2006, 10:34:58 PM »
Rick... its the same thing as Color vs. Colour (i hope i spelled that correctly), it is different by dialect

And on the earlier post, i hope i didnt seem like i was being to proud of the language thing, i was just stateing a fact

Advocatus Diaboli

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »
A kilometre (American spelling: kilometer), symbol: km is a unit of length in the metric system equal to 1 000 metres (from the Greek words χίλια (khilia) = thousand and μέτρο (metro) = count/measure). It is approximately equal to 0.621 miles, 1 094 yards or 3 281 feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilometre
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »
I stand corrected - my bad!
I must admit I'm aware of most of the subtle differences in spelling between the US and AUS (which are both slightly different to the UK) but i must have forgotten that one. I actually didnt think you guys would care too much being that you primarily use Miles anyway. :wink:

?

quixotic

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2006, 10:57:26 PM »
Ignorant, please Mr Modesty, im sorry I cant speak Spanish (the easiet of all Languages) or Italian (based on Latin) I only speak Mandarin, French and of course ENGLISH.

So waht your saying is taht America can do what it wants.

The words are Colour, Flavour and Favourite. These words were created spelt like this, becuase America spells it different makes it correct??

So....Bill Gates created Mircosoft Word, but...if I call Macrosoft World, it still the same thing??

America is lawyers dream, they are within themselves a living entity of plagurism.

I will not be schooled by a Yank

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
Bam!

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2006, 11:14:14 PM »
Wow... and people say Americans are ignorant, first of all, i apologized for the cockiness

and i never said anything about what America can and cannot do, so please your inferiority complex sickens me

Bill Gates created Microsoft word, not a language, a program, and is therefore a registered trademark

Languages change as they evolve, Australia has different words that the U.K. but does that make them wrong... NO

Making fun of other languages is not really impressive, as Manderin isnt the official language of anywhere, only a very commonly spoken dialect , i guess i can also claim Siclian under my belt, which is very difficult to learn as it has italian spanish arab greek and everything else influence into the language.

And im pretty sure changing the spelling to be more phonetic is not a problem if millions of people are going to do it, as what happened in America and Australia

So do me a favor, bend down, grab your shoulders, and pull your head out of your ass

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2006, 11:17:34 PM »
now there is no point in just arguing back and forth, so ill be the better man and let bygones be bygones, i'll offer you a truce

and getting back on subject

The two cities in question, have any of the Australian people here driven the legnth, because although the math wouldnt be perfect, im sure that large of a deviation would be easy to find which way it is on

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2006, 11:25:19 PM »
Jeez guys, I thought this would be obvious to anyone across the world -
believe it or not Adelaide and Sydney (two cities at least 750 miles and at most 2000 miles :P) do not have a road that goes directly between them!!! I know! Hard to believe! to get from Sydney to adelaide you have to go south to melbourne then west to adelaide, or you can take the shortcut through the Hay Plain, but that goes West before it goes south.... so.... unless someone want to fork out for a plane flight (not bloody likely :P) this point will have to remain unproven. It was a good direction to head, but it fell over when you expected a direct road across 3 states.

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2006, 11:28:40 PM »
Ah im sorry, I just assumed because they were both large well-known cities, but im sure this same conclusion could be drawn with two other cities, or just long road, either way, I'm not willing to work the math out as I"m going to sleep soon, but yea... anyone whos up for it, it would be awesome to pick up the slack

Advocatus Diaboli

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
Unfortunately, due to the varying landscape of the earth, the occurence of lakes, river, gorges etc it is unlikely to find two places with a straight road between them..... LUCKILY down here in AUS we have a road that crosses from a town RIGHT NEAR ADELAIDE to another town much
farther west by a DEAD STRAIGHT ROAD! It is the only one in Australia (that isnt 5 metres long) and it goes for a couple of hundred K's. That would be perfect for this experiment, unfortunately, having already driven it once in a motorhome with a top speed of 60kph I'm reluctant to go back.... I'm sure someone's down with Driving the Nullabour Plain in the name of science :D

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »
wow that does sound perfect, if i lived even close i would do it in the name of science,

oh and quix, sorry i thought mandarin was a different dialect, i forgot the beijing was the spoken... oops

anyway, anyone in Australia near Adelaide up for some driving?

Advocatus Diaboli

?

quixotic

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 12:26:14 AM »
As the crow flies, the distance between Adelaide and Sydney is 1264.36 KILOMETRES.

Subject closed

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
well, now someone has to go to the trouble of converting back into miles....
bags not!  :lol:

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2006, 05:58:18 AM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"
Jeez guys, I thought this would be obvious to anyone across the world -
believe it or not Adelaide and Sydney (two cities at least 750 miles and at most 2000 miles :P) do not have a road that goes directly between them!!! I know! Hard to believe! to get from Sydney to adelaide you have to go south to melbourne then west to adelaide, or you can take the shortcut through the Hay Plain, but that goes West before it goes south.... so.... unless someone want to fork out for a plane flight (not bloody likely :P) this point will have to remain unproven. It was a good direction to head, but it fell over when you expected a direct road across 3 states.

It doesn't matter how convoluted the actual road is, it's still a distance relative to the distance between the two cities. For example, if you had to drive 800 miles to get to a city 740 miles away, how far would you have to drive to get to a city 1878 miles away along a proportionally similar path? The error in the flat earth model isn't trivial that far south, it's an apparent factor of 2.5.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 02:47:42 PM »
I'm not sure you got my point, the cities are so far away from each other, that the distance "as the crow flies" (is that just an aussie saying) is far different from the distance by road, so for the purposes of this experiment, driving wouldn't work.  :cry:

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »
You could measure the distance between a set of chosen points between Sydney and Adelaide.  I'm pretty sure that if the FE model distorts distances then it would show up there also.  "As the crow flies" is saying here in America, too.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »
Yeh, the answer to this question is that FEers have no answer. if the cities are 750mi away from eahc other on the RE, the minimum distance from each via road would be 750mi. of course most roads that link places of that distance are not in straight lines, so it is probably closer  to 800mi via driving. for it to be longer then that, would make the road travel time at least as long as the distance between the 2 cities. ex. it the cities were 1200mi away, you could not get from one to the other via and drive any less then 1000mi.

FE theory just cannot pull the wool over your eyes on this one. The cities certainly would be much farther apart on the FE model. But they aren't. We even have some Aussies confirming the distance so they cannot fall back on the usual "well you have never driven it, HOW DO YOU KNOW?"

I think this is case closed. The only way this works is with a RE model.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2006, 03:46:13 PM »
Don't worry, they'll find an excuse I'm sure :lol:

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »
Perhaps I was too vague in my previous replies.  THE FE DOES NOT CHANGE THE RELATIVE SIZE OF THE CONTINENTS.  You are trying to apply a grid system based on a sperical earth to a flat earth.  The two are not compatible under one system.  For example, to go from a rectangular coordinate system to a polar system, there has to be a conversion factor.  You can't simply use rectangular coordinates in the polar system and expect the same results.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2006, 03:51:05 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Perhaps I was too vague in my previous replies.  THE FE DOES NOT CHANGE THE RELATIVE SIZE OF THE CONTINENTS.  You are trying to apply a grid system based on a sperical earth to a flat earth.  The two are not compatible under one system.  For example, to go from a rectangular coordinate system to a polar system, there has to be a conversion factor.  You can't simply use rectangular coordinates in the polar system and expect the same results.

Actually, the areas of regions on the Earth and distances between points on the Earth should not depend on the coordinate system used to describe points on the Earth, for a given geometry.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Actually, the areas of regions on the Earth and distances between points on the Earth should not depend on the coordinate system used to describe points on the Earth, for a given geometry.

The actual distance is the actual distance.  However, when one is using a series of points on a coordinate system to determine distances, the points are not interchangeable with other systems without a conversion.  
For example, (1,1) in rectangular coordinates is at a distance of sqrt(2) from the origin and 45 degrees above the x axis.  However, (1,1) in polar coordinates is 1 unit from the origin at an angle of 1 degree.  These two points are no where near each other.  Therefore, saying that (1,1) is the same in rectangular and polar coordinates is not correct.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2006, 06:32:02 PM »

As I have demonstrated, the FE model changed the relative size of Australia. The systems of longitude and latitude are the same for both models. The FE model is off by a factor of 2.5 in that section of Australia.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2006, 06:36:59 PM »
However, when one is using a series of points on a coordinate system to determine distances, the points are not interchangeable with other systems without a conversion.

Indeed.  However, it seems to me that nobody was giving coordinates (coordinate-system-dependent) to points, but merely referring to the points themselves (coordinate-system-independent).  "The distance from P to Q" doesn't change when you change coordinate systems and, as far as I can tell, that's what the crux of the argument is here.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?