Give some evidence that the earth is flat please.

• 147 Replies
Re: Give some evidence that the earth is flat please.
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »
But this is what the nature of the debate is all about, both sides providing evidence! Why should I have to go to the library when it is not me who is contending for a round earth? BTW Squat,I would love to help you on that experiment to see if there are people on the island making it sink. If such a thing were to be true,it would make the universw all that more exciting.  ;D

« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2009, 02:41:12 AM »

I probably wouldn't believe you right away,as I am a cautious man by nature,but I would take your observation very seriously.I would of course have to look for several other corroborating testimonies,plus do an observation myself.Then,I would believe. As I said before, theres no axe to grind here.
Now if I go and get a telescope and make the observation you want me to make, will you believe me? I don't think so as it appears that you don't believe my initial observations.

I'm all for doing the simple experiment. Bring a powerful telescope to my village and we can do the experiment together. Bring it on, I'm keen now to see what will be seen through the powerful telescope, aren't you?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:45:05 AM by AntiNovusOrdo »

?

Squat

« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2009, 02:42:33 AM »
But this is what the nature of the debate is all about, both sides providing evidence!

Not on this site it isn't - read more threads and see if you can detect any imbalance.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2009, 02:44:01 AM »
But this is what the nature of the debate is all about, both sides providing evidence!

Not on this site it isn't - read more threads and see if you can detect any imbalance.

Its also difficult when AntiNovusOrdo refuses to even go to the library to look up experimental results, isn't it?  ::)

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2009, 02:44:59 AM »

already do... thats why I told him to go to a library...

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »

Its also difficult when AntiNovusOrdo refuses to even go to the library to look up experimental results, isn't it?  ::)

Come on,what's holding you guys back? It's your job to provide the evidence to contradict what I posted! You are RE,ers right? Then please do us all a favor and post some evidence. Why should I have to do it,I am not defending the RE theory,you are!

Pete

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:20 AM »

Come on,what's holding you guys back? It's your job to provide the evidence to contradict what I posted! You are RE,ers right? Then please do us all a favor and post some evidence. Why should I have to do it,I am not defending the RE theory,you are!

No, actually this thread was begun by a RE challenging FE's to prove their theory meaning the burden of proof is on you.  ::)

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2009, 03:12:10 AM »
well, if I do an experiment and the result come as the earth being round...would you believe me? thats why I told you to do experiment yourself with the science book on library, how difficult is that?

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:57 AM »
well, if I do an experiment and the result come as the earth being round...would you believe me? thats why I told you to do experiment yourself with the science book on library, how difficult is that?

As I said in a previous post to Squat, I wouldn't necessarily believe you,but I would take what you say very seriously so as to make my mind more open to corroborating testimonies. But since this a debate,the burden is on you guys to provide evidence that would contradict the simple experiment that Rowbotham did.

You don't have to necessarily do any experiments,just provide a documented case which contradicts this experiment. But as you are unwilling to do this,then the debate stops dead in its tracks. If the evidence is so overwhelming for a round earth,then one proof should suffice, a piece of evidence such as someone observing a ship on the shoreline with the naked eye until its hull "sinks" below the horizon,then looking at it with a telescope.If the ships hull is still invisible,then you have a case.So can you please show me a documented peer reviewed experiment that supports this? If none can be adducced, then the debate is over. 

?

zork

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2009, 03:44:29 AM »
You don't have to necessarily do any experiments,just provide a documented case which contradicts this experiment.
You seriously think that you presented to us documented experiments? Rowbotham work isn't documented, he just describes his doings in free manner. No proper measurements, no specifications for equipment and lot and lot assumptions.

So can you please show me a documented peer reviewed experiment that supports this? If none can be adducced, then the debate is over. 
In the style of Rowbotham, observation experiments - http://www.vidyaonline.net/arvindgupta/earthpix.pdf - Isaac Asimov, How did we find out that the earth is round.
 Couple of recent and quite well documented and done experiments/observations:
  Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth - http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf
  Turbulent ship wakes: further evidence that the Earth is round - http://www.thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
That is mere assertion on your part. Rowbotham went out of his way to take exact measurements and took every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations. I saw nothing that smacked of sloppiness and dishonesty in his famous(or infamous) Bedford experiment. Add to this the fact that he had many of these experiments peer reviewed by people who were believers in the RE theory and consequently changed their minds in favor of the FE theory.

Thanks for providing links for evidence btw,will look into those. However it would be preferable if you could provide one explicit bit of evidence that contradicts the Bedford experiments, or the experiment of the "sinking" hull. Believe it or not,I am willing to change my mind if only the evidence can be provided.

?

zork

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2009, 04:35:06 AM »
That is mere assertion on your part. Rowbotham went out of his way to take exact measurements and took every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations. I saw nothing that smacked of sloppiness and dishonesty in his famous(or infamous) Bedford experiment.
Not taking account the refraction, describing all things as "good" or with similar vague words, assuming that canal was absolutely horizontal even when it wasn't(http://theroundearthsociety.net/index.php?topic=76.msg1659#msg1659), assuming that the curvature must be 8 inches for one mile(I don't know how he calculated that, but surveyors use for their corrections some 7mm for 1km - http://www.pol.ac.uk/psmsl/training/levelling.doc for example).

Add to this the fact that he had many of these experiments peer reviewed by people who were believers in the RE theory and consequently changed their minds in favor of the FE theory.
Yes, peer reviewed where peer is as fellow believer. But not once scientifically peer reviewed by any person with scientific degrees and education.

Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

Pete

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2009, 04:49:47 AM »
Moreover, peer reviewed means having your experimental results published in an established research journal...

?

ConvinceMe

• The earth is round. Period.
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »

Don't turn this back on me. I was the one asking for evidence, so instead of dodging and saying the burden of proof is on me. Read what i wrote and think. Is the burden of proof not really on you? no?
I dont believe in a round earrh.
I know the earth is round

I believe i science and math.

?

Squat

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:52 AM »
That is mere assertion on your part. Rowbotham went out of his way to take exact measurements and took every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations.

What power telescope did he use in his Bedford Level 'experiment'?

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
  • http://www.freewebs.com/raacoz/thesunhasnoheat.htm
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »
round earthers need flat feet to realize that the earth is flat. that way once they convert we'll know they were once round earthers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 06:09:36 AM by Raa »
Everything, is in EMBRYO, not in mathematics. 
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.

?

Abysmal

• now with more tentacles
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
I do think that ENaG is evidence for a flat earth. However, I do not find it to be the Beacon of Truth. I have several problems with his work, but so does every REer. Does anyone have any evidence from their own experiments that proves the earth to be flat? Now that would be interesting stuff.
Former Satanic Conspirator-now i've seen the bendy light.

?

ConvinceMe

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
Bump. Still looking forward to some serious proof and evidence :D

?

Squat

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2009, 09:58:31 PM »
Bump

For AntiNovusOrdu to answer this question that he prompted

That is mere assertion on your part. Rowbotham went out of his way to take exact measurements and took every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations.

What power telescope did he use in his Bedford Level 'experiment'?  Bearing in mind his 'exact measurements' and 'every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations'.

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2009, 03:35:02 AM »
round earthers need flat feet to realize that the earth is flat. that way once they convert we'll know they were once round earthers.

flat earthers need flat brain to realize that the earth is round. that way once they convert we'll know they were once flat earthers.

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

flat earthers need flat brain to realize that the earth is round. that way once they convert we'll know they were once flat earthers.
THAT'S RIGHT! Ha ha ha smile :) ;D ::) :D ;)
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
I do think that ENaG is evidence for a flat earth. However, I do not find it to be the Beacon of Truth. I have several problems with his work, but so does every REer. Does anyone have any evidence from their own experiments that proves the earth to be flat? Now that would be interesting stuff.
if you stand still for 4 minutes, you will see the sun move. do this or shut up.

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
Bump. Still looking forward to some serious proof and evidence :D
the bump is on the flat earth

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2009, 07:30:22 AM »
Bump

For AntiNovusOrdu to answer this question that he prompted

What power telescope did he use in his Bedford Level 'experiment'?  Bearing in mind his 'exact measurements' and 'every precaution to ensure the accuracy of his observations'.
he used a power telescope because he was blind
--------------
------
sorry MOD, forgot about multiple posts  ::) but, there-for,  sometimes these round earthers need individual attention  ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:35:19 AM by Raa »

?

ConvinceMe

« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2009, 06:36:38 AM »
I actually want to know how Rowbotham ensured his accuracy too..AntiNorvusOrdo please give a answer :D

?

Abysmal

• now with more tentacles
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
if you stand still for 4 minutes, you will see the sun move. do this or shut up.
Wow, slow down there! Your moutain of evidence is crushing my very frail body. I should have known going outside would tell me if the earth was flat or not! Thank you for your insightful post.
Former Satanic Conspirator-now i've seen the bendy light.

« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
*reads back and wonders if RAA is in the same thread as the rest of us*

I would quite like to know the answers to these questions as well.  If the experiments were well-documented and repeatable, surely we have every little detail documented, no?
Quote from: SSSavio
Oh my god, I'm here with a bunch of people that is saying that Einstein is a stupid. And these people believe that the earth is flat! Sad

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:01 AM »

THAT'S RIGHT! Ha ha ha smile :) ;D ::) :D ;)

I am glad you happy  ;D ;)