The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker --Flat earth video game?

• 910 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker --Flat earth video game?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
I checked out the horizon in Oblivion earlier, you can clearly see the flatness when you are in the Plains of Oblivion.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Oblivion is actually a good example, as the game-world is large enough to warrant a curvature effect- it's about 16 square miles.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 05:22:46 AM »
Oblivion is actually a good example, as the game-world is large enough to warrant a curvature effect- it's about 16 square miles.

Can you fly above 60,000 ft in Oblivion?

Probably. There are loads of mods for that game. I'll just assume this is a genuine, off-topic, curiosity question, and that you weren't asserting that curvature in a videogame can only be measured by sight and not by the underlying programing.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 05:36:33 AM »
You don't have to be 'high' to observe the curvature. It's in the programming.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 06:00:13 AM »
You don't have to be 'high' to observe the curvature. It's in the programming.

How do you know this? Is the curvature observable at 30,000 ft? Or maybe they've programmed it so that the curvature isn't observable until 120,000 ft!

A RE would ask the radius of the planet.

Do you understand  how programming works? If it was curved, the numbers behind the programming would indicate as much.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 06:10:07 AM »
Maybe you have access to the source code you can post here?

On my Mac, so sorry, no. It's anecdotal evidence, but my friend loves Oblivion and likes to mess around with it. I happened to ask him once if the gameworld involved curvature, and he said that no, there was no general curvature in the game world.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 06:20:23 AM »
Maybe you have access to the source code you can post here?

On my Mac, so sorry, no. It's anecdotal evidence, but my friend loves Oblivion and likes to mess around with it. I happened to ask him once if the gameworld involved curvature, and he said that no, there was no general curvature in the game world.

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence is an oxymoron.

Unfortunately anecdotal evidence is better than no evidence.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 06:26:50 AM »
It doesn't really matter if the program is coded as a flat earth. It quite likely is.

This was never disputed, so I'm not sure why you decided to pick an argument about this in the first place. This is a thread on the FE in popular culture; it isn't meant to say anything definitive about FET.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 06:38:44 AM »
Except for this...

Surely this is solid evidence that a Flat Earth counter-resistance conspiracy exists within the video game industry.

The Conspiracy is not part of FET.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2009, 06:44:23 AM »
Except for this...

Surely this is solid evidence that a Flat Earth counter-resistance conspiracy exists within the video game industry.

The Conspiracy is not part of FET.

Then remove it from the FAQ. There are twelve references to "conspiracy" in there you know.

That The Conspiracy exists does not make it part of FET. However, I don't want to drag this discussion off-topic, so if you would like to discuss it further, you should create a new thread.

EDIT: Typo.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:53:12 PM by Lord Wilmore »

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
who in their right mind would develop a game with a slightly rounded floor when they can avoid it?

The video game itself would use too many resources so that it can have enough detail to even have it in the first place!  (well a curve similar to the earth anwyay)

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
who in their right mind would develop a game with a slightly rounded floor when they can avoid it?

The video game itself would use too many resources so that it can have enough detail to even have it in the first place!  (well a curve similar to the earth anwyay)
I don't recall Super Mario Galaxy having any problems.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2009, 12:56:07 PM »

The video game itself would use too many resources so that it can have enough detail to even have it in the first place!  (well a curve similar to the earth anwyay)
I don't recall Super Mario Galaxy having any problems.

it had a curvature simlar to the earth?  What a huge game!

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2009, 06:27:34 PM »
lol, thats not so big

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »

?

Abysmal

• now with more tentacles
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 09:26:55 PM »
how about mass effect? that game is pretty RE. Halo 3 presents the possibility of an "inside-out" world, while still being RE.
Former Satanic Conspirator-now i've seen the bendy light.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2009, 04:20:20 AM »
I'm not sure Mass Effect actually replicates curvature once you land on planet surfaces though. From space, sure, but once you get in the Mako, I'm willing to bet all those environments lack any general curvature.

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »
lol, thats not so big
??? ok...

lol, look at the water there.  I bet there ahve been buildings built that are bigger than that.  im exaggerating, but if you think about how small that sphere your on is, its REALLY small compared to the earth.  In comparison to the earth, it'd probably be a spec.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 03:30:20 PM »
That was just a curvature example. The home world where the original castle is located remains much, much larger. You can see the curvature during the opening cut scenes of attacks when you get to the group of exalting toads

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 11:36:42 AM »
SIM CITY HAS NO CURVATURE!

?

Vongeo

• Official Member
  • I don't get it either.
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
http://www.addictinggames.com/demolition-dude-game.html
 Someone in this game says he'll crush the world flat.
Vongeo is a wanker, he wears a wanker hat; he always smells like urine and he thinks the Earth is flat.

No longer is this sentence is cut in half. Jekra!

?

004forever

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 11:43:37 AM »
in most cases, programming the various perspective, and land issues is unnecessary for a video game, so most companies choose not to waste the time and money to do so.  It's sort of like starting the four finger conspiracy based on the fact that Homer Simpson only has four fingers. 

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 02:30:29 PM »
in most cases, programming the various perspective, and land issues is unnecessary for a video game, so most companies choose not to waste the time and money to do so.  It's sort of like starting the four finger conspiracy based on the fact that Homer Simpson only has four fingers. 
No it's because on a round earth at sea level, thee is no curvature at all. Geometry once again, learn it, people.

Catchpa

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
This is a year-old joke thread, people.
The conspiracy do train attack-birds

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 08:05:55 PM »
No it's because on a round earth at sea level, thee is no curvature at all. Geometry once again, learn it, people.
In many games, one is able to travel way above sea level. One example is the Tower of the Gods.

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 08:19:23 PM »
In many games, one is able to travel way above sea level. One example is the Tower of the Gods.
How high?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »
How high?
The Tower is the tallest structure in the game and can be seen from almost every area of the map
 grid. It appears to have several dozen floors, but Link only goes through a few and is then teleported to the top.
No exact height but it is obviously extremely tall and within range of low clouds under normal conditions. [several, hundred feet tall above sea level]

?

2fst4u

• High and Tighty
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »
How high?
The Tower is the tallest structure in the game and can be seen from almost every area of the map
 grid. It appears to have several dozen floors, but Link only goes through a few and is then teleported to the top.
No exact height but it is obviously extremely tall and within range of low clouds under normal conditions. [several, hundred feet tall above sea level]
You're an idiot. In RE that's still too low to see curvature. If it's been said over and over that 30,000ft is too low, what makes you think several hundred is high enough?

Point still stands.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »
How high?
You're an idiot. In RE that's still too low to see curvature. If it's been sdaid over and over that 30,000ft is too low, what makes you think several hundred is high enough?

Point still stands.
Not really as the top is only confined to space of the 3 gods of the new world. Thus there is no limit on the possible height. It could easily be multiple thousands of feet high Furthermore, Roost legends confirm the same minimal heights on dragon roost.