The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker --Flat earth video game?

• 910 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker --Flat earth video game?
« on: July 16, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »
Well for those of you that haven't played, the game consists of a large ocean with many islands scattered throughout it. The map is of an area of flat ocean on a 7x7 categorized grid of the islands. The game has very simple graphics but the game's simplicity is part of what sets it apart. The horizon is flat no matter what direction in the game you view it from. This lack of horizon curvature set me thinking about if it was possible that there are FE undertones to the game.

As you travel throughout the square grid of sea, most of the islands aren't visible unless you get within 1 or two grid spaces, and even then, you can't see the bottom of them. However, when you zoom into the islands via first person view or the borrowed telescope from Link's sister, you can see more islands and visibly observe the bottoms of the closer foreign islands and see them to be level. (Very good places to do this include the pier on Outset island, Dragon Roost island, and Windfall)
look at the end of this video and see how more islands are visible when zoomed in first person. And also view it to remember the look of distant islands as a reference.

So anyways, long story short I think The Windwaker might have FE undertones to it as well it's counterpart The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass for the DS platform.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker --Flat earth video game?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »
Whilst this is a very interesting topic (WW is a great game), it's not really about Flat Earth Theory, so I'm going to move this to General Discussion. For what it's worth, most games take place in 'flat' worlds- few replicate any kind of curvature.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »
srry my bad. I thought the most interesting part is that when sailing, you can see only the tops of the islands at first due to perspective and wave limitations much like the experiments using ships coming in from the sea and only being able to see the tops of those.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:24:45 PM »
The horizon is flat no matter what direction in the game you view it from. This lack of horizon curvature set me thinking about if it was possible that there are FE undertones to the game.

You know you can't see the horizontal curvature from close to the surface right?
Because there isn't any.

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
Also, the top of Dragon Roost in thousands of feet above the sea and after freeing the great Valoo of the top gaurds on the mountain, you can still not observe any curvature. Also, when using a pear from Beedle's shop, you can fly as a seagle for awhile which grants first person views from hundreds of feet up with still no observable curvature.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:57:52 PM »
For what it's worth, most games take place in 'flat' worlds- few replicate any kind of curvature.

Surely this is solid evidence that a Flat Earth counter-resistance conspiracy exists within the video game industry.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
The people making zelda are forward thinkers, even when they are stuck making a sprite game to appease nintendo they inject a portion of truth into it.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:51:34 PM »
Worst thread ever.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Thank you for your input, next time you want to waste our time with spam feel free to hit yourself in the face with a hammer, it'll be much more enjoyable.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »
The people making zelda are forward thinkers, even when they are stuck making a sprite game to appease nintendo they inject a portion of truth into it.

Right but this appears to be an industry-wide phenomenon.  I think Ichy has just touched the tip of the iceberg with his observation.  This requires much zetetic rumination.

And I suggest Mr McIntyre or Mr Davis or one of the serious FE believers contact the CEOs and head programmers of Nintendo, Electronic Arts, Square Enix et al as soon as possible as they appear to be brothers-in-arms.  If they can persuade them to go public with their beliefs it could lead to a great surge for the movement.  Video games wield an enormous influence on the youth of the world; that's probably why they chose them as the medium to subliminally air their opinions.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:14:41 PM »
Dogplatter is obviously obsessed with both the credibility of this board and fe theory judging by his recent comments towards me, I really think he should contact the developers of this game, especially after accepting an interview from the BBC and in turn putting himself at the media head of our group.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 11:33:40 PM »
I found an illuminating anagram for Square Enix: Qua Nixes RE.  The second and third words are so obvious that it leads to obvious reflection on the meaning of the whole thing: qua is the Latin word for "as".  It's pretty clear that it's intended to convey, in shorthand, that the world as it is nixes RE.  Note also how the word "square" in the company's name connotes flatness.

This is pretty serious.  I will continue researching the great video game industry FE counter-conspiracy and post my findings as they come.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »

Right but this appears to be an industry-wide phenomenon.  I think Ichy has just touched the tip of the iceberg with his observation.  This requires much zetetic rumination.

And I suggest Mr McIntyre or Mr Davis or one of the serious FE believers contact the CEOs and head programmers of Nintendo, Electronic Arts, Square Enix et al as soon as possible as they appear to be brothers-in-arms.  If they can persuade them to go public with their beliefs it could lead to a great surge for the movement.  Video games wield an enormous influence on the youth of the world; that's probably why they chose them as the medium to subliminally air their opinions.

You sure it wasn't easier to code the game like that?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »

Yes, it's much easier to program it blur, fade, and other effects than simply map the game on a curve.  ::)

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »

Yes, it's much easier to program it blur, fade, and other effects than simply map the game on a curve.  ::)

Most likely if it looks good.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:57 PM »

Most likely if it looks good.

Maybe it looks more realistic because that's how things happen.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 11:42:53 PM »

With our technology today it should be no problem to convey the world as spherical.  Video games strive to be more and more realistic, yet they continue to ignore the supposedly basic notion that the world is spherical.  I credit them with having balls of steel to stand by their convictions in the face of the Global Conspiracy, and only hope our exposing them here doesn't lead to them being shut down by the government, or forced to show the world as it is.  My guess is they will leave them alone, but don't be surprised if more spherical worlds pop up in video games in the future.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 11:48:50 PM »
Maybe it looks more realistic because that's how things happen.

Yeah because a bunch of programmers know more about the earth then scientists and researchers. ::)

I'm sure when coded it would be much more efficient and realistic to simply blur the horizon, then have the whole map built on curve, infact, I don't think I've ever played a game in which the entire map is curved.

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 11:53:01 PM »

With our technology today it should be no problem to convey the world as spherical.  Video games strive to be more and more realistic, yet they continue to ignore the supposedly basic notion that the world is spherical.  I credit them with having balls of steel to stand by their convictions in the face of the Global Conspiracy, and only hope our exposing them here doesn't lead to them being shut down by the government, or forced to show the world as it is.  My guess is they will leave them alone, but don't be surprised if more spherical worlds pop up in video games in the future.

Because no one cares if it's spherical when they play a game, no casual gamer would notice at all. They haven't mastered physics in games yet anyway.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »

Because no one cares if it's spherical when they play a game, no casual gamer would notice at all. They haven't mastered physics in games yet anyway.

Did you even see my post about Square Enix?  The evidence is piling up and I expect to find a great deal more.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »

Did you even see my post about Square Enix?  The evidence is piling up and I expect to find a great deal more.

Square Enix is a company formed from Squaresoft and Enix. For many, many years they were un-related companies, well apart from both being big players in the RPG scene. Please get a reality check.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:13:57 AM by ogeitla »

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »
I don't think that this observation really proves anything either way, but I do think that the elegence of FE worlds within videogames says a great deal about which model is truly the 'most elegant'. Clearly, when it comes to virtual reality, a FE makes more sense than a RE.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »
Dogplatter is obviously obsessed with both the credibility of this board and fe theory judging by his recent comments towards me, I really think he should contact the developers of this game, especially after accepting an interview from the BBC and in turn putting himself at the media head of our group.

Incidently Raist, I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Brendan O'Neill, the journalist who wrote that piece, posted a topic on this forum asking if anyone would be willing to do an interview. Username and Dogplatter (as they were then named) responded, whilst everyone else spent their time arguing if he was a troll or not. Anyone could have responded, but nobody else chose to do so. You posted in the topic, so you should remember.

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »
very interesting.

Although i too would like to know if they somehow intentionally made it this way, or if it just happened this way without specifically programming it.  They very well may have done that to avoid the "fade in" effect you see in games with lots of fog to use less resources.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:51:37 PM by brathearon »

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »

Incidently Raist, I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Brendan O'Neill, the journalist who wrote that piece, posted a topic on this forum asking if anyone would be willing to do an interview. Username and Dogplatter (as they were then named) responded, whilst everyone else spent their time arguing if he was a troll or not. Anyone could have responded, but nobody else chose to do so. You posted in the topic, so you should remember.

shoot, my sarcasm tags aren't supported by this forum software. We should update to PHPBS

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »
shoot, my sarcasm tags aren't supported by this forum software. We should update to PHPBS

Sorry, but I keep reading posts where people talk about the interview as though Dogplatter and Username went through improper channels and basically appointed themselves as spokespeople for the society. It just irks me, as the whole thing was done out in the open in this very board.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Sorry, but I keep reading posts where people talk about the interview as though Dogplatter and Username went through improper channels and basically appointed themselves as spokespeople for the society. It just irks me, as the whole thing was done out in the open in this very board.

I haven't seen a single post saying a negative thing about the interview. Please take off the tinted glasses and realize they are about the change in behavior afterward.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »

I haven't seen a single post saying a negative thing about the interview. Please take off the tinted glasses and realize they are about the change in behavior afterward.

Only mods will be able to read this, but it's an excellent example nonetheless:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=29399.msg708880#msg708880

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »
I'd discuss that with you but it's meant to be in the mod forums, it's his right to feel pissed off especially with the way dogplatter treats his time spent/his being a fe'er as making him above everyone else.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »
I'd discuss that with you but it's meant to be in the mod forums, it's his right to feel pissed off especially with the way dogplatter treats his time spent/his being a fe'er as making him above everyone else.

Whatever about anyone's attitude, this whole 'Dogplatter/Username Conspiracy' nonsense is all I was reacting to- your post just didn't seem that far away from his. In any case, we're dragging this interesting thread off-topic. If you say you were being sarcastic/joking, I'll accept that, but I'm sure you can see where I was coming from.

On-topic, after further consideration I think the horizon in Wind Waker is especially interesting- the telescopic restoration is quite uncanny in its resemblence to what is set out in ENaG. I'm not sure sure about Phantom Hourglass though, as in that case the limitations of the DS probably have a lot to do with it.