?

Anorthosite

• Riding the crest of the awesomeness of the Hoff
How old is the earth?
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:22:08 AM »
My first post & my first questions:

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?
How old are the other objects in the solar system?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: How old is the earth?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:38 AM »
Pretty old.

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:24:18 AM »
Pretty old.

Are you able to put actual ages to them, even if they are approximate?

?

zork

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:39:12 AM »
Pretty old.
That doesn't make sense. Beautifully old or nicely old? What does that means?
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »
Pretty old.
Tom that was the funniest and shortest post I have ever seen from you. I think I wet myself a little. Thanks for that.

to the OP: The age of these things is under ongoing debate weather or not your a FE or RE believer or what your spiritual beliefs are. No one has been able to figure this one out for sure, and on this forrum you are never going to get a good answer to those questions.
Your god was nailed to a cross. Mine carries a hammer...... any questions?

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:34 AM »
Pretty old.
I don't often disagree with Tom, but I think it is older than that.
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

?

L0rdG0dAlmighty

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?

Earth - About 12,000 years.
Universe - Always been here, always will.
Other Objects - They vary.  Some are a couple of hours old, some are quadrillions of years old.  Time is bullshit anyway, monkey.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?

Earth - About 12,000 years.
Universe - Always been here, always will.
Other Objects - They vary.  Some are a couple of hours old, some are quadrillions of years old.  Time is bullshit anyway, monkey.

12,000 years? What's that based on? Not having a go, I'm just curious.
Clothes are proof evolution never happened.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
Well, in RE, as discovered by various sorts of radioactive dating, the earth is 4.6 billion years old, and the universe is 13.9 billion.  That said, no doubt there are significant errors in thise calculations, but they are the best we've got and are generally accepted in the scientific community.

I second Delthan's request.  It would be interesting to see how you came up with these figures, especially as I am doing a degree in geology.
BSc (Hons) Geology
Fellow of the Geological Society of London

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
How old is the earth?
Based on the evidence, I believe the consensus is that it's 4.5 billion years old.

How old is the universe?
Nobody seems adequately able to answer this question.  The figure constantly changes as new evidence is discovered; to presume that we know the age of the universe is foolish.

See #2.  Actually, in FET, the Earth is not considered a part of the solar system.

Why do you ask?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:40:44 PM by Roundy the Truthinessist »
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
I wonder if those who believe the earth is an infinite plane would say there was a creation. How would you get from nonexistent to infinite? Is it some weird quantum leap?
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:14:45 AM »
Why do you ask?

As a geologist, I'm curious as to how geological evidence is interpreted in flat earth theory.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 02:41:25 AM »
Judging by his name, i'd say the 12000 years is an estimate from the bible?

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:57:37 AM »
Based on the evidence, I believe the consensus is that it's 4.5 billion years old.

Is that generally accepted by flat earth advocates?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 04:12:45 AM »
I personally reckon it's between 4 and 5 billion years old.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 04:21:25 AM »
So what's the flat earth advocate's position on meteorites and radio isotope dating, given that they offer the best evidence for the age of the earth?

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 05:00:37 AM »
So what's the flat earth advocate's position on meteorites and radio isotope dating, given that they offer the best evidence for the age of the earth?

Woohoo!  We have another geologist! 

Just so I'm not completely off topic...
It seems like most FE'ers agree with the RE age, which is nice to know.  I'm still interested in that 12,000 years though!
BSc (Hons) Geology

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

We don't deny the existence of meteorites, and radioisotope dating seems like a reliable method for dating rocks.

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

Woohoo!  We have another geologist! 

Just so I'm not completely off topic...
It seems like most FE'ers agree with the RE age, which is nice to know.  I'm still interested in that 12,000 years though!

Likewise, because most biblical literalists seem to agree on 6000 years as the Earth's age, so I'm curious as to where the figure 12,000 comes from
Clothes are proof evolution never happened.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »
The 12,000 year figure comes from the fact that LordGodAlmighty is a troll and not a very bright one.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?

I would say about 6000 years or so to all 3 questions. I base this primarily on the Bible.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?

I would say about 6000 years or so to all 3 questions. I base this primarily on the Bible.

Why do you choose to reject the science that says the earth is 4.6 billion years old and the universe is 13.9 billion?

Not having a go or anything, I am merely curious as to why.  On one side you have what is effectively a story book, and the other you have decades of scientific, peer reviewed and accurate experiments, data and observation.
BSc (Hons) Geology

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »
We don't deny the existence of meteorites, and radioisotope dating seems like a reliable method for dating rocks.

Ok, next question - Do you accept that sea floor spreading and subduction occur?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »
Ok, next question - Do you accept that sea floor spreading and subduction occur?

I don't. The notion that the continents have drifted thousands of miles apart is preposterous. Something like that would break the Earth apart.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »

I don't. The notion that the continents have drifted thousands of miles apart is preposterous. Something like that would break the Earth apart.

The crust is breaking apart in sea floor spreading.

So how do you explain the age of the crust getting older as you move further from the mid ocean ridges? Also, what causes volcanoes above subduction zones?

Euclid

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »

No, it wouldn't.  ???  I don't know why you have that idea.
Quote from: Roundy the Truthinessist
Yes, thanks to the tireless efforts of Euclid and a few other mathematically-inclined members, electromagnetic acceleration is fast moving into the forefront of FE research.
8)

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »

May I (we?) point you in the direction of proper, proven Geology?  I'll edit later with some references you can look at, but it's one in the morning and I can't be arsed now.
BSc (Hons) Geology

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 07:21:31 PM »

How old is the earth?
How old is the universe?

Why do you choose to reject the science that says the earth is 4.6 billion years old and the universe is 13.9 billion?

Not having a go or anything, I am merely curious as to why.  On one side you have what is effectively a story book, and the other you have decades of scientific, peer reviewed and accurate experiments, data and observation.

Thank you for asking. I'll try to answer this in the best way possible. I guess the main reason why I reject the idea that the earth and universe is billions of years old is that these vast ages are based in circular reasoning and unfounded assumptions. For instance, the vast geologic-age system had been completely worked out in the 19th century before radiometric dating was discovered. Scientists had assumed that evolution was true to begin with and basically imposed vast ages of time to the fossils(without any scientific dating) in the geologic column.

Then when the radiometric system was discovered in the 20th Century, they used that method to "confirm" their assumed vast ages. But there are a number of problems with this method of dating. There is the assumption that the radioactive decay rates have always been the same. That is not reasonable for no one has been around long ago to witness and measure the decay rates throughout the entire history of the universe. For all we know, the decay rate could have been much faster in the past.

Then there is the assumption that at the beginning of the Universe, there were only "parent" elements and no "daughter" elements. Then they say because of the fact that we now see the "daughter" elements in the minerals and the fact that these are the result of the long half lifes of the parent element, then therefore the earth is tremendously old. But for all we know, there may have been both "parent" and "daughter" elements present at the beginning of the Universe,thus nullifying the vast ages. This at least puts the whole system in question.

I could go into the positive evidences which seem to point strongly for a young universe,but I'll list just one due to time constraints. Take for instance the Chemical composition of the sea. If one divides the amount of a given chemical in the ocean by the average annual inflow of that chemical into the ocean, then a relatively young age of the earth is given as a result. The results vary from as little as 100 years for aluminum to 45 million years for magnesium.

On top of that,the rates of influx of most chemicals were probably greater in the past, because the rivers carried more water and the continents were higher and more easily eroded. This would reduce all age estimates for these certain chemicals. There are many more evidences(about 100) which strongly point to a young earth.It doesnt necessarily prove it, but as I am a Christian(no intention in getting into a debate about religion here) I go with what the Bible says about the age of the universe as my final authority(the same Bible which teaches a flat stationary earth).Anyway,hope this helps,didn't mean to write a flippin' book in response, but oh well.

?

Anorthosite

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
For those who accept radiometric dating and sea floor spreading, what mechanism makes sea floor spreading happen faster the further south you go?