Alright FE'rs, get in this topic.

• 70 Replies
« on: June 25, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »
Alright, I'm gonna say one thing:

The sinking ship theory.

For those of you who do not know what this is, it is quite easily explained. When a ship sails off into the horizon, due to the Earth's ROUNDNESS, it literally appears to "sink" under the ocean. The reason for this is even simpler: the ship is travelling around the curvature of the Earth. You see, since the Earth is ROUND, when a ship sails off into the horizon, it travels around the curvature of the Earth, causing it to disappear as it travels around to the other side of the curve. Now, I know you FE'rs are gonna give me some bullshit response like "but, it's getting farter and farther away, which is why it disappears, because the human eye can only see so far". WRONG! If it disappeared due to distance, all 4 sides of the ship would proceed to vanish from the view of the human eye at an equal rate because the ship is traveling at the same speed at the same distance, thus causing all 4 sides to react the same way. However, the 4 sides DO NOT all disappear from view at the same time! Instead, sides do not disappear, parts of it do: the bottom half of the ship will first disappear since it is the first to make it over the curve, followed by the middle section since it is the next, followed by the top, and followed by a mast (if it has one, since it is the highest point). Anybody who knows physics will tell you this (ZOMG, but the government controls physics as well, don't they?). Anybody's who's been to the beach and watched a ship set off into the horizon knows this as well. If you don't, then go to the beach and watch for yourself, and you will see EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And you're gonna believe something your own eyes see for themselves, won't you? Exactly (unless, of course, the government even controls your very eyesight).
b][size=24]THE EARTH IS A SPHERE.[/b][/size]

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 09:06:07 PM »
Here, I'll even give you an example that you guys can try at your house in case you can't go to the beach:

Take any round, spherical object (a basketball, preferably). Hold it in your hand and look at it STRAIGHT FROM THE SIDE. Take a little toycar, and slide it along the surface of it. Now, slide it to the other side of the curve of the basketball, and PAY ATTENTION to how it disappears. In a way in which I explained it would because of curvature, does it not?

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
Quote from: "LeRabbit"
Here, I'll even give you an example that you guys can try at your house in case you can't go to the beach:

Take any round, spherical object (a basketball, preferably). Hold it in your hand and look at it STRAIGHT FROM THE SIDE. Take a little toycar, and slide it along the surface of it. Now, slide it to the other side of the curve of the basketball, and PAY ATTENTION to how it disappears. In a way in which I explained it would because of curvature, does it not?

This is answered in the FAQ.

They believe this is caused by an optical illusion.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 09:13:44 PM »
LMAO you can't be serious!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
An optical illusion of what? Is there some magic veil over the ocean that causes the ship to do that? Or does the government have a secret base underneath the entire length of the ocean, in which they open a secret door so that the ship actually does "sink"? This is fucking pathetic, for every little thing you idiots can't explain (which is just about everything) and for every piece of evidence supported by pictures, and even evidence you can see for your own eyes, you come up with some recycled, overused "optical illusion" argument because you realize that you CANNOT explain why those things happen in a way that would make it sound like the Earth is flat. Why don't you get your heads out of your fucking asses (since your holes must be gaping) and realize the obvious. Stop being ignorant and completely oblivious to what you can see for yourself.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"

This is answered in the FAQ.

They believe this is caused by an optical illusion.

So what, every little 5 year old kid with a basketball and a toycar also has some magical veil that causes this illusion? You're holding the fucking ball in your hands, there are no government officials around causing an illusion. Stop being ognorant and realize the fucking obvious.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
Guys... accept it the Earth is a sphere.
b][size=24]The Earth Is A Sphere![/size][/b]

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
This has all been covered, time and time again.  There is a search function - use it.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 10:01:43 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
This has all been covered, time and time again.  There is a search function - use it.

In other words, you are beaten?

Seriously, I want you to disprove my claim, right here, right now.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:03:20 PM »

Why? So I can get the same "government conspiracy" and "optical illusion" bullshit.

There is a brain - use it.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »

That's the way to get someone to answer you - demand it.  USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:13:22 PM »
Because I know what the names of the topics were that had this theory also?

LOL.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 02:54:26 AM »
An optical illusion that cannot be explained, that is.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

?

RenaissanceMan

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:07:35 AM »

That's the way to get someone to answer you - demand it.  USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

I tried that, 4 pages of results. If you're so damn smart, "TheEngineer' then suggest ways to narrow down that search.

Duke

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 06:50:52 AM »

Do you expect us to know the name of the thread to search for? If you aren't answering us about this we have the right to assume that you cannot explain this phenomenon.
f you can't make it, fake it.

?

jeroen

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 07:04:48 AM »
An optical illusion of what? Is there some magic veil over the ocean that causes the ship to do that? Or does the government have a secret base underneath the entire length of the ocean, in which they open a secret door so that the ship actually does "sink"? This is fucking pathetic, for every little thing you idiots can't explain (which is just about everything) and for every piece of evidence supported by pictures, and even evidence you can see for your own eyes, you come up with some recycled, overused "optical illusion" argument because you realize that you CANNOT explain why those things happen in a way that would make it sound like the Earth is flat. Why don't you get your heads out of your fucking asses (since your holes must be gaping) and realize the obvious. Stop being ignorant and completely oblivious to what you can see for yourself.

Aint it the same with religions? evrything mankind cannot explain: "Only God knows"
(With all my respect to religious people)

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 07:23:07 AM »
Quote from: "Duke"
Do you expect us to know the name of the thread to search for? If you aren't answering us about this we have the right to assume that you cannot explain this phenomenon.

I thought the point of naming something a phenomenon is that you cannot explain it.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
Quote from: "jeroen"

Aint it the same with religions? evrything mankind cannot explain: "Only God knows"
(With all my respect to religious people)

Which is the same exact reason why religion is as big a load of crockshit as your "flat Earth theory". Science has disproved everything religion states, and yet those idiots as well keep up with their arguments. So, getting off the point of religion (since you obviously had to bring it up since you can't explain why and you realized you were beat), what makes you idiots think that?

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 02:54:11 PM »
I'm sorry, I've reached my monthly quota of answering this exact question 25,000 times. Try again in July and I'll explain it to you.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
I'm sorry, I've reached my monthly quota of answering this exact question 25,000 times. Try again in July and I'll explain it to you.

All I'm getting from this post is "I'm beat. The almighty TGK has proved our Earth is round and spherical, yet I'm too much of an idiot to accept it. So, all I will say to him is that I don't feel like answering so as not to look like a complete, ignorant tool."

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »
This coming fromt he guy who can't figure out the search feature, yeesh.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 03:34:29 PM »
How can something be an optical illusion if you can do it on any rounded surface?

Why would you fake the earth being round in the first place?

And wouldn't someone at least try to go to the ice wall, despite 'the ice wall police' and thier government peguins? And even if they do pass that, the wall of plastic wrap will stop them, right?
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 05:17:34 PM »
Quote from: "General Dallows"

Why would you fake the earth being round in the first place?

The following is my personal belief and not shared by all FEer's on the site. "Global" warming is a real phenomenom, caused by carbon dioxide emissions from heavy industry and other such sources. If the Earth heats up too much, it's true that the "poles" will melt.

Problem is, what the public don't realise is that one of the "poles" is holding the ocean and sky in place and stopping them bleeding away into space.

The interests of big business are represented in the conspiracy, and without the ability to heavily pollute the atmosphere, a lot of huge corporations would lose revenue. If the public realised that CO2 emissions will literally destroy the Earth, they would put a stop to the conspiracy's shenanigans once and for all. That's why they're covering up the shape of the Earth and the nature of "Antarctica".

Quote from: "General Dallows"

And wouldn't someone at least try to go to the ice wall, despite 'the ice wall police' and thier government peguins? And even if they do pass that, the wall of plastic wrap will stop them, right?

How do we know people haven't? It's not as if the goons who guard the wall are just going to send people back so they can tell the truth, is it?
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 06:04:07 PM »
In that case, alot of people would be missing...

And why are penguins in zoos? shouldn't they be helping the wall guards?
img]http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/381/samuraichamplooie0.jpg[/img]
In Soviet Russia, Penguin makes You!

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 01:50:04 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
The interests of big business are represented in the conspiracy, and without the ability to heavily pollute the atmosphere, a lot of huge corporations would lose revenue. If the public realised that CO2 emissions will literally destroy the Earth, they would put a stop to the conspiracy's shenanigans once and for all. That's why they're covering up the shape of the Earth and the nature of "Antarctica".

Uhm... they'd lose a lot more revenue if they ended all life on Earth.

?

Pythagoras

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 05:01:34 AM »

I don't believe you actually performed your own experiment. If you would have, you would have noticed that the car does not "sink" as it crosses the ball, but rather it tilts forward as it goes over the horizon, as if about to tumble over the edge of a cliff. If you were to watch a ship travel over a round surface, it would not sink, but would rather begin to tilt forward as it crossed the horizon, until eventually the tail end of the ship was at the highest altitude, and therefore the last thing you would see as it disappeared from view. If you are confused I can create a diagram for you.

?

IBeleveScience

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 07:30:20 AM »
heres a possible explainantion i made up

the wind blows over the ocean, taking tiny bits of watter with it. the little bits, in little quanteties are not noticed, but as a ship gets further away, they start blocking the view to the ship, more and more, untillyou cant see the ship anymore. because the particles have some weight, there are more, the closer you get to the surface of the water. therefor the bottem part of the ship appears to dissapear first.

man, im good at this.

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
Ok guys, it's july. As promised:

It's a mirage.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2006, 09:36:48 AM »
Unimportant, i know i have pointed this out before... It would be hard to make a mirage that is universally seen, can be video taped and viewed, scientifically proven, etc.

So that is not a viable answer, at least the science "belever" came up with an idea, not a great one in my opinion, but one nonetheless...

Even though it doenst explain the tail-end seeming higher, as according to that theory, the tail-end would dissapear first, owning to the fact that it is nearer to the tiny bits of water
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 12:19:57 PM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"

Uhm... they'd lose a lot more revenue if they ended all life on Earth.

Only in the long run. None of them give a damn what happens 50 years from now.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901