6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Picking Classes for next year

• 30 Replies

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
Picking Classes for next year
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
So basically I have 2 different classes that I want to take, but I only have room for one. The first is Computer Service Tech, which at the end can provide me with A+ Certification(provided that I pass the exam). The other is an internship, which I'm not sure right now where it will be, but it could be at either at a Software engineering place, or maybe at the Water Works. So which is better, certification or experience? 
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

parsec

Re: Picking Classes for next year
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Home economics.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
Experience is nearly always better
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:22 PM »
Home economics.

Your unfunny trolling attempts fail you.

This is what I was thinking.

|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:49 PM »

Agreed.  I've known enough A+ techs that didn't have a clue as to what they were doing.

(I voted A+ just to mess with the poll, however)
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Internship,  You would most likely be able to learn much more in an internship.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »
Alright, so I am going with the internship.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 05:10:13 PM »
FES: Making important educational decisions for you since 2005.

parsec

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
No, wait, go with the Certification course. At least you'll have something to put in your CV.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 05:16:16 PM »
No, wait, go with the Certification course. At least you'll have something to put in your CV.

But a fancy resume with a lot of experience will look better imo.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
I'd take the Internship. It seems like you will have a higher chance of getting a job.

Most applications I see have a 2 year experience preferred/req on them, so if you have experience in the field rather than just knowing what you are supposed to do, you should be getting the job before the guy who just knows what hes supposed to do. Less training for them.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
Game designer.

TIGHTEN UP THE GRAPHICS A LITTLE BIT

?

Sentient Fridge

• Official Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
Game designer.

Tell that to the people who designed Neo-steam.

The game itself is fun, but BUGGY AS HELL. The graphics could use ALOT of work.

you cant see moutains because you have no eyes
DON'T EVER LEAVE, VONGEO, MOTHERFUH-YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
But a fancy resume with a lot of experience will look better imo.

Places I've interviewed for, and other bosses and managers I've met have actually said the opposite; although it depends on the type of experience. If someone touts experience, they will almost always call to see exactly what was done during their time unless they can trust the company they were working for.

The same goes for two of my friends. The ones who did Comp Sci had co-op for their final years, but they were doing measly crap that it didn't give them enough experience to be hired, and the employers preferred certification over the minor experience they obtained.

Most certifications nowadays are so well-rounded that hiring someone with a few certs can be far more beneficial than someone who did certain things for a company. Really, it's hit or miss depending on what the internship actually entails.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »
Just so everyone knows, I'm a high school student, not a college one. Just putting that out there in case someone didn't know. Also, I checked out the A+, and it seemed a little basic, like if you know how to install stuff, what an OS is etc. I don't know if that is worth it.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

parsec

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
I don't know if this thread was worthed.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »
Ah, high school; well that changes things a bit.

If you have plans to enter college and shoot for a computer career, I'd definitely say do the computer course and try for your A+. As you deduced, A+ is basic, but almost all entry-level tech support positions will require it. Upon entering college, grabbing a job through Best Buy or similar service will do well for experience as you pad your resume with a degree.

If you're not sure if you're going to college, or plan on doing something other than computers, then the A+ isn't as appealing. The other experience can be more beneficial depending on what it is.

And in the end, any certification you complete can always still sit on a resume no matter what career you end up going into. It still adds a good alternative angle for employers to see.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
Ahh, I was planning on majoring in Mechanical engineering and then either double majoring or minoring in computer science. Can you take A+ classes in college?
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »
Game designer.

I lol'd.  That commercial was so bad.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »
Ahh, I was planning on majoring in Mechanical engineering and then either double majoring or minoring in computer science. Can you take A+ classes in college?
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

EDIT: The starting salary for engineers with just a Bachelor Degree is amazing. The first and second years can be real tough if you procrastinate, but it's all worth it in the end. Just remember that if you really are planning on majoring in engineering, make sure the degree you're getting is ABET-accredited assuming you're in the states. I know a few people that graduated with non-accredited engineering degrees from some crummy schools and ended up with no engineering jobs. They also couldn't even take the FE and the PPE exams (you need to take them to become a professional engineer; getting a degree doesn't make you an engineer).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:18:54 AM by Jack »

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 12:41:50 AM »

I assume you live in the US, so I can't begin to say what one college might contain versus another.

In Canada at least, the closest you can get to an "A+ class" through a college is by taking one of their computer courses, something along the lines of Computer Systems Technician. Most places will give you a voucher for the A+ exam upon completion of the course.

Outside of official post-secondary courses, some colleges I know of also offer a booklet of courses that anyone can pay to sign up for. They contain hundreds of programs you take over a few weeks or months for tons of random things, including A+ courses. Perhaps something along those lines is also done in your area.
objectively good

physics101

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »
I'm taking a class called Contemporary Cinema next year. It will be lulzworthy.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 08:25:59 AM »
I'm taking a class called Contemporary Cinema next year. It will be lulzworthy.

Lol. Also, I read that I can study online, and then I just have to find the place to take the exam.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »

A+ really isn't relevant to Computer Science.  It's more of a PC hardware/OS (and some basic networking) service certification.  Unless you want to be a service/support type tech, don't bother. I've heard it said that Computer Science has about as much to do with computers as astronomy has to do with telescopes.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
What ever class you pick, shoot your professor with a bee bee gun.
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
So basically I have 2 different classes that I want to take, but I only have room for one. The first is Computer Service Tech, which at the end can provide me with A+ Certification(provided that I pass the exam). The other is an internship, which I'm not sure right now where it will be, but it could be at either at a Software engineering place, or maybe at the Water Works. So which is better, certification or experience? 
Were are you going to school?
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »

Oh good; someone did catch that.  So, what are they: game designers, programmers, graphics artists, testers?  OR ALL OF THEM, BECAUSE WESTWOOD IS JUST THAT GOOD!?!?

Tusk

• Official Member
  • Guidance is internal
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »

Go for the experience every time. When you put your work history on a C.V. your prospective employer will then ask you about your qualifications for filling that role. Then you can talk about academic qualifications and why they apply to the post you are applying for. Saves space on your C.V.

I have letters after my name that I never use cos it's just like showing off and never, ever, declare your I.Q. on a job application cos that's suicide if the interviewer didn't score as high as you.

Use the work experience and references from those employers to open the doors, then impress them with your capabilities. 

Hang on, I'll just check my personal care factor for this week : nope still don't give a fuck

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »

Oh good; someone did catch that.  So, what are they: game designers, programmers, graphics artists, testers?  OR ALL OF THEM, BECAUSE WESTWOOD IS JUST THAT GOOD!?!?

All of the above, plus they program with gamepads.  They really are that good.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
So I went with the internship. I got a year long stint at a local software firm, Blackbaud(supposedly it's world renowned, I've never seen them at the beginning of any game). I went with this because they pay, and I like money. Plus I can always study online for the A+ if I was interested and take the exam else where.

Were are you going to school?

I go to a high school. I haven't determined which college yet.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____