Explain THIS flat earthers!

• 202 Replies
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2006, 05:23:26 PM »
I know the point you tried to make, that the circumference of lines of latitude would increase as you move further south.

I'm saying that really happens, in real life. That is, if you followed a single line of latitude in north america until you got back to where you started, you would travel distance A. If you did the same thing in Australia, you would travel distance B, and B would be significantly greater than A.

I'm saying this happens in real life; can you prove otherwise?

In other words, unless you have some method of proving the circumference is the same at + or - 30 degrees of the equator, I suggest you think of some other proof.

And before you ask, no, of course I can't prove my claim either. Both our claims are equally unproven, so they don't make very good evidence for either of us.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
I know the point you tried to make, that the circumference of lines of latitude would increase as you move further south.

I'm saying that really happens, in real life. That is, if you followed a single line of latitude in north america until you got back to where you started, you would travel distance A. If you did the same thing in Australia, you would travel distance B, and B would be significantly greater than A.

In other words, unless you have some method of proving the circumference is the same at + or - 30 degrees of the equator, I suggest you think of some other proof.

And before you ask, no, of course I can't prove my claim either. Both our claims are equally unproven, so they don't make very good evidence for either of us.

that would indeed be a good way to prove the earth is spherical or flat.... if you could somehow ensure you were keeping the same latitude for your trip, you could show that the circumference at +/- 30 degrees is equal or different (with particular confidence intervals)...

in the FE model, distances would be greatly distorted towards the south pole past the equator... the line around the tropic of capricorn would be way longer than cancer...

of course, i can't think of a feasable way to ensure your latitiude is constant... it would be easy if you could do it in a day, just follow the sun ;)

another easy proof is by expedition to antartica in search of the magnetic south pole... when you walk past it, you'll notice your compass swing around

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
Have you ever been to the Black Hills in the US?

Try navigating with a compass over there!
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

?

roundedpotbelliedearth

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2006, 02:39:02 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"
Edit: I rephrase my post.
Here's a contribution to your question list, Xargon.

1. If other planets are flat, how do they rotate?

2. If other planets are flat, why are they always facing Earth?

3. If other planets are NOT flat, but round, how come Earth is flat?

(third time I post these q's. still waiting for an intelligent reply.)

i have the answer to all of these questions
1.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
2.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
3.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
 :D ROUND EARTH FOREVER!

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »
Do you feel better now?
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »
Quote from: "Dionysios"
So many people have pointed out to me that so many heavenly bodies seem to have a round appearance, and they reason from this the earth is round.  The lack of insight common to them all is that they failed to understand that I view the earth as complementary to heaven - not as a body within it, but underneath it.   In that case, stars are bodies within the heavens just as people are bodies on the earth and there are also bodies under the earth where the underworld is located.  

I do not view everything as existing within heaven.  I view heaven as only the uppermost of three levels of the cosmos.  The earth does not exist within heaven.  It is rather the middle of the three levels which is why it has been referred to as middle earth.

-Dionysios

pick apart one point and ignore all of the rest. GOOD JOB.

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »

you forgot that there are 20 other points you have ignored for the sake that you can't answer them.

Desu

• yaranaika.
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2006, 06:42:33 PM »
Quote from: "roundedpotbelliedearth"
Quote from: "Xargo"
Edit: I rephrase my post.
Here's a contribution to your question list, Xargon.

1. If other planets are flat, how do they rotate?

2. If other planets are flat, why are they always facing Earth?

3. If other planets are NOT flat, but round, how come Earth is flat?

(third time I post these q's. still waiting for an intelligent reply.)

i have the answer to all of these questions
1.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
2.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
3.because the flat earthers are full of bullshit
 :D ROUND EARTH FOREVER!

Flat Earthers are acutally full of:
oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, magnesium, iron, fluorine, zinc, silicon, rubidium, strontium, bromine, lead, copper, aluminum, cadmium, cerium, barium, iodine, tin, titanium, boron, nickel, selenium, chromium, manganese, arsenic, lithium, cesium, mercury, germanium, molybdenum, cobalt, antimony, silver, niobium, zirconium, lanthanum, gallium, tellurium, yttrium, bismuth, thallium, indium, gold, scandium, tantalum, vanadium, thorium, uranium, samarium, beryllium, tungsten.
Quote from: sam712
It must suck living in Richmond.
Since June 2006.

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2006, 06:43:32 PM »
To paraphrase Einstein, If you have 2 theories that explain something, go with the simpler one. When you can describe how all these things happen on earth in the FE model without contradicting yourself in a simple manner, then it becomes more valid then the RE one.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2006, 06:16:03 AM »
Quote from: "troubadour"
To paraphrase Einstein, If you have 2 theories that explain something, go with the simpler one. When you can describe how all these things happen on earth in the FE model without contradicting yourself in a simple manner, then it becomes more valid then the RE one.

That was Occam, not Einstein.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2006, 10:41:13 AM »

you forgot that there are 20 other points you have ignored for the sake that you can't answer them.

Really?  Go look at page 3.  ALL the original points are answered.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2006, 11:58:33 AM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"

That was Occam, not Einstein.

correct. I guess I shouldn't type at like 5am without sleep. That is occam's razor. But my point is still made. FEers go way out of their way to explain things and break all sorts of physics for things that REers easliy explain.

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2006, 12:01:09 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"

I looked. I don't see many answers, just weaving and dodging the questions asked and points stated. Virtually all of them resorted to some kind of conspiracy that FEer don't even have any proof of existing.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2006, 12:12:24 PM »

I looked. I don't see many answers, just weaving and dodging the questions asked and points stated. Virtually all of them resorted to some kind of conspiracy that FEer don't even have any proof of existing.

Do you have any proof of these conspiracies not existing?

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »
Quote from: "cadmium_blimp"

Yes, because there is not one shread of evidence that they exist. If there was, I could then say that it is possible they could exist.

?

cadmium_blimp

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2006, 12:28:30 PM »

Yes, because there is not one shread of evidence that they exist. If there was, I could then say that it is possible they could exist.

A well covered up conspiracy will have no evidence of such a thing.

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »

What like watergate? or the pentagon papers? some of the most hushed up conspiracies ever didn't even last close to a decade.

?

cadmium_blimp

« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2006, 12:31:09 PM »

What like watergate? or the pentagon papers? some of the most hushed up conspiracies ever didn't even last close to a decade.

I guess they weren't that well covered up, were they?

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2006, 12:36:17 PM »

I guess they weren't that well covered up, were they?

I'm sure that in the ages of instant communication where the entire world knows about any event almost instantly, Where even our government has weekly security leaks of the highest order from the CIA and NSA, that there exists a conspiracy that has existed for over 2000 years among the highest of the high, that the world is infact flat and they want to to think it is round. Yeh, Right. I'm done in this thread, no point in arguing with people that don't understand how to do anymore then plug away with irrelivant questions and give equally irrelivant answers.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »

Yes there is evidence that they exist. The earth is flat yet the government keeps saying it's round, how much more evidence do you need?
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

Yes there is evidence that they exist. The earth is flat yet the government keeps saying it's round, how much more evidence do you need?

Every scientist will also tell you it's round. Every pilot and sailor will also well you this. Engineers and mapmakers will also tell you the same. I guess we are ALL in on the conspiracy! EVERYONE IS WRONG BUT YOU.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2006, 01:43:54 PM »

You said they were ignored, however, answers were provided for every question.  If you don't like the answers, that's not our fault.  There are many things in the RE that are not proven, yet when there are some open theories for the FE, it's not allowed.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »

You said they were ignored, however, answers were provided for every question.  If you don't like the answers, that's not our fault.  There are many things in the RE that are not proven, yet when there are some open theories for the FE, it's not allowed.

You are part of the conspiracy, therefore anything you say is void.

?

cadmium_blimp

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:37 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

Every scientist will also tell you it's round. Every pilot and sailor will also well you this. Engineers and mapmakers will also tell you the same. I guess we are ALL in on the conspiracy! EVERYONE IS WRONG BUT YOU.

I thought you were leaving this thread.

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
OK YEAH LETS ROCK!
Quote from: "Xargon"

*Satellites

Don't exist.

Um, yes they do. In fact, with an amateur telescope or a very good pair of binoculars, one can not only see them, but make out specific features on them, such as antennas.

*Satellite TV
*GPS systems, which use satellites.
*Satellite radio.

Signals broadcast by tall radio towers.

No radio towers exist that have the ability to provide the coverage that satellites do, and this does not explain why satellite dishes must be aimed at a specific point in the sky (the satellite), or why the receiver for your everyday parabolic TV satellite dish only works properly at the focal point.  If it was just picking up waves from towers, it would work fine with out the actual “dish” part.

*The fact that anybody can see satellites, when away from the city lights on a clear night.  (Satellites look and move VERY different from airplanes or “shooting stars”)  

Those are actually secret government airplanes. Or birds or something.

See my first rebuttal

*Zero G footage (in space), made by NASA, lasting longer than 25 seconds (the maximum time zero G can be sustained by NASA’s “Vomit Comet”).

I guess George Lucas invented the proton torpedo too, right?
(In other words, fake).

This is your best argument so far, but, alas, it hinges on that ever popular, global, multinational, ancient conspiracy.  The only rebuttal I could offer would be to further discuss how ridiculous said conspiracy would be, but that’s all been said before.  

*They round appearance of all the planets, which can bee seen by any amateur with a decent telescope. And by “round,” I do not merely mean that they look like circular discs. I mean that features, such as the craters of the moon, are distorted looking near the “edge” as the curve away from view.

Maybe the other planets are spheres. I don't see how this is relevent to the shape of the Earth, so I'm not going to spend much time thinking up any more of an explanation.

And yeah, I'm saying the Earth might be different from Mars, so don't ask.

If you don’t want to spend time thinking up an explanation, then don’t waste my time by attempting to provide one. Oh, wait. You didn’t.  There’s no explanation there at all. Just an idea that you haven’t backed up with evidence.  I’ll just say that I doubt the earth would differ so vastly from every other celestial object in the known universe for no apparent reason.  Also, you misspelled “relevant.”  You loose an additional 20 credibility points.

*A very large pendulum will appear to change direction, as the earth rotates under it. (This can be seen in science museums all over the world.)

The earth is spinning a little bit. It's also rocking back and forth slightly, as this produces tides. Either of these could explain small changes in a pendulum's path.

I didn’t insert all those links on the first page because I think blue text looks pretty, you know. A Foucault pendulum takes about 24 hours to make a rotation, as the earth rotates under it; the same rotation that causes night and day.  High tide, however, comes twice a day: about once every twelve hours.  Now, if tides were caused by water rushing “downhill” as the disc shaped earth tilts. This makes no sense because then high tide would only move in a circle around the outer ice wall (like water in a pie pan). This idea in no way fits the known patter of tides, which you would already know, had you clicked the link on “tides.”  You would have also seen the lovely way that the earth’s rotation and the moon’s orbit coincide with the relative locations of low and high tides ever so nicely.  I also find you claim that connection between tides and the moon is only coincidental unsatisfactory, and improbable.

You have also failed to explain why the behavior of Foucault pendulum’s is a function of its proximity to the equator, rather than the ice wall or the North Pole. According to the UN flag model, the equator is just the half way point between the center and edge of the earth.  So, why is it that plane of swing of a Foucault pendulum is zero at the equator, rather than the North Pole?  See the link on page one for more info, including a handy graph that explains what the hell I’m talking about.

*Satellite imagery, showing a curved earth.

Fake, duh.

Faked how? I can see my house, Disneyland, and every square mile in-between with satellite imagery. There are no locations that don’t exist, and no locations that are missing. Nothing has been added, nothing has been taken away, and all distances can be proven accurate with your car’s odometer. Satellite imagery holds up very well in comparison to the word as we see it from day to day.

*The fact that maps of the round earth hold true for those piloting / navigating / driving: airplanes, ships, and land vehicles.  If the earth is in any way different, from the way it is currently mapped, (such as the idea that it looks like the UN flag), then distances would differ greatly than they do on the map of the round earth, which they don’t.  The maps that are built off of a round earth accurately depict the distance, and directions of any two points on earth.

Nah. Land-based distances could be pretty much the same, and it seems to me like ocean-faring distances would be harder to measure without the help of star-based navigation or GPS.

Um, no.  Land-based distances would not be “pretty much the same.” Especially south of the equator.  The distortion of distance created by the UN flag model is huge. Compare FE and RE Australia and South America.

I don’t understand what point you are making by talking about determining one’s location at sea with GPS or thestars. Please elaborate.

Yeah they'll be off, but who's going to notice?

Who’s going to notice? Why don’t you read the first sentence of this one again?  I think you had selective amnesia or something while responding to this one.
* The fact that maps of the round earth hold true for those piloting / navigating / driving: airplanes, ships, and land vehicles.

*On the subject of distances on maps, I would encourage you try one of these programs:

NASA’s World Wind and Google’s Google Earth.  Both are programs that have the entire spherical earth, mapped, and photographed in 3D.  Google Earth even has a measuring tool.  How could this work properly if the map was being distorted as part of a conspiracy?

Um, they're fake. The distances those programs give you aren't correct.

Yes they are.  Google Maps allows you to enter two locations.  It will give you driving direction from A to B, along with the total distance you will travel.  These distances can be confirmed by you car’s odometer if you drive the prescribed route.

*The sheer number of people who work for NASA, the military, airlines, weather services, satellite design and manufacturing, companies that design navigational systems and the companies that support those organizations.

This isn't even a question. Yeah, we get it. Big conspiracy.

Fair enough. I must admit this has been discussed at great length already.

*The fact that modern warships can fire artillery shells so far, they must account for the curvature of the earth when calculating its trajectory. That is, the shell goes over the horizon. This is also true of missiles

Wait, you mean those warships that are part of a country's military defense organizations? Like, controlled by the government and stuff?.  

Again, I’ll spare you all the trite arguments of why the conspiracy is bullshit.

*Radio’s having a farther range at night, as the radio waves bounce off of the earth’s curved ionosphere: AM radio stations must cut their transmitting power in the evening, to prevent one station from bleeding over to the next. Ham radio operators can take advantage of this effect, and transmit and receive signals to and from other continents.

Why does this happen on your round earth model? Does it have something to do with the sun? It seems like it would. I'd assert the same thing happens on a flat earth; the sun interferes somehow.

As to why this happens on our round earth, I would encourage you to click the text that is in that lovely shade of hypertext blue.   Again, I don’t understand your discussion of the sun’s alleged interference.  Please explain.

*The sun is always setting and rising at the same time somewhere on earth.  

I agree.

Well sure you do, but if you clicked that link, you would see that which parts of the earth are illuminated at any given time makes no sense on a flat earth model. Especially if you are talking about the whole the-sun-is-a- spotlight thing mentioned on the forum’s FAQ.

*Ocean tides and their relation ship to the moon’s orbit around earth. (This is also evidence of gravity.)

It's also evidence of coincidence. As I mentioned, tides are caused by a gentle see-sawing motion by the earth. Nothing to do with the moon.

I already addressed this above.  

*Why the lit half** of the moon is always the one facing the sun.  Look at the moon during sunset and see for yourself.  During a full moon, the sun will be on the opposite side of the sky from the moon. How is any of this possible if the earth is flat?

My guess is the sun shines on the moon some times more than others.

Don’t answer my arguments when you don’t really have an answer. I can’t refute your guesses. I guess my intestines are full of purple leprechauns who are fond of Iceland, but wish tipping was permitted there, because the laws against it lead to awkward moments with bellhops and waiters. They eat rainbows, crap sunshine and, pee a full bodied wine that goes great with steak. Feel free to prove me wrong.

**There is no true dark side of the moon. Half the moon is always lit, and which half changes as it orbits around the earth, which it does at the same speed it rotates, so the same side of the moon is always facing us.  The moon budges on this side, due to earth’s gravity.

No, the moon bulges on the Earthward side because of it's constant linear upward acceleration. Teardrop effect.

If constant linear acceleration were possible, this would be a good argument.  Again, I won’t waste your time by beating a dead horse….. with a club that moves faster than light.

*The earth’s round shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, and the moon’s round shadow on earth during a solar eclipse.  

They're both circular, obviously.

If what your suggesting where true, that would mean that the sun would have to be UNDER the earth during a lunar eclipse. The sun is always shining somewhere inhabited by humans. If you where right about the earth casting a round shadow due to it’s disc-like shape, only the underside would be lit during a lunar eclipse.

*Only some parts of the earth can see a solar eclipse, when they do occur. (From space, it looks like a round shadow (the moon’s) being cast onto the earth surface.)

I assume this is when the moon passes in front of the sun.

Yes it is. Your point here is……

*The fact that our model of the solar system (including how the earth orbits the sun), so accurately predicts where the moon, planets, and stars will appear in the sky on any given day,(It also predicts lunar and solar eclipses.) while no such model exists for a flat earth universe.  

Sure a model exists for the flat earth universe. We predict planetary movement all the time, don't we? They must follow a predictable path.

Your logic here is faulty. You are operating under the premise that the earth is flat, therefore evidence MUST confirm it, rather than using logic to prove that the earth is flat.

*The seasons, and why they are opposite on the different sides of the equator. (January is Australia’s Summer, but North America's Winter.)  

Because the radius of the suns orbit over the equator changes throughout the year; during the summer months in North America its orbit is closer to the north pole, while in the summer months of Australia it is expanded closer to the ice wall.

Loose the first fourteen words and replace the words “ice wall” with “South pole” and you have the RE model of how seasons work. All you have done is put it in FE terms, and made it geocentric.

*Why the numbers of hours of daylight are longer or shorter (depending on the time of year) the closer one is to  the earth’s poles.

Same.

How can it be the same? The phenomenon I’ve described is dependent on a round earth rotating on an axis as it orbits the sun.

*The Northern and Southern hemispheres have different views of the night sky.  Ask any astronomer, and they’ll tell you that the southern hemisphere’s view is better.

Different stars overhead, obviously.

How? If the earth where flat, “up” would be the same direction for everyone, so everyone would be looking at the same stars.  If the  stars where close enough to the earth to be viewed as you are describing, a parallax effect would be noticeable.

*The relative locations of the North Pole, South Pole, and the equator. (All three can’t even exist simultaneously in a flat earth model.)

This is wrong. North pole is the center. Equator is a ring equadistant from the center and the rim. South pole is the rim.

*Compasses: if the magnetic North and South poles were two points on a flat surface, it would be possible to pass one of them, and be facing both poles at the same time. This means one pole would be closer to you than the other and that you, the north pole, and the south pole, could form a straight line.  Just can’t happen, as shown by compass needles, because magnetic North and South are never in the same direction.

You don't understand the flat earth model. The south pole is not a "point". .

Thank you.  I was unaware of the UN flag model at the time of the original post. I do however have a different question. If I were standing at, say, the equator, facing North, I could face the Ice wall by turning to my left, my right, or turning around completely. It would just be a matter of how far away it was. It seems that on your flat earth, you are always facing south.  There is such a thing as a South pointing compasses, you know.  Only one direction will take you to the South pole.

Oh, you also misspelled “equidistant.”  You lose an additional 20 creditability points.

*Any of the round earth arguments here.  Many of which you can try for yourself.

Why don't you try them?

To prove my self right? That would be more of a waste of time than it was for you to insert my quote,  type those twenty-three characters, and put three of them in bold.

And your whole conspiracy stuff is old and stale.

Agreed.  Sorry for re-posting crap from when I was new to the forums.

This scattershot stuff makes a focused discussion completely impossible.

Impossible for you to explain one fact without contracting another? That’s the idea!

Thanks for being the only person to respond to a majority of my arguments, Unimportant.

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2006, 07:22:30 AM »
BUMP

I did some heavy editing to the above post.  

:!: Stay on topic people. :!:

I should also mention that I don’t think Unimportant is really a flat-earther, due to his explanation of satellites.  On that note, I would like to remind every one to take this thread, and this forum with a grain of salt, and remember that questioning “well-known facts” is never a bad idea.

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2006, 03:27:50 PM »
No one has responded to my responses. Have I won? :wink:

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2006, 03:34:25 PM »
Quote from: "Xargon"
No one has responded to my responses. Have I won? :wink:

Question is, how could you lose ?
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »
I really would like to see some responses to my rebuttals to Unimportant’s post (Page 6).  Especially what I said about lunar eclipses, because this forum “official” stance is that the moon and sun move in circles above the earth.  As I explained this contradicts what we know about how lunar eclipses work.  So flatearthers, how is it possible for the earth to be between the sun and the moon, while the moon is simultaneously visible to people elsewhere on earth?  For the moon to cat a perfectly circular shadow on the moon, as it does, the sun would have to be “under” the flat earth, so it would be visible to no one.  I eagerly await your answers.  

I will also be adding this argument to the first page.

?

VTI

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »
the answer to every one of your questions is: it's all a lie lolz