Explain THIS flat earthers!

• 202 Replies
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »
Quote from: "EarthFlowerGirl"
Earth is flat. Everyone who believes otherwise will be consumed by the devil.
Where is the proof that all this.. Socalled science actually tells the truth?
Let us embrace the true knowledge and destroy this false science.

You mean we should rather believe in something to which we have no scientific evidence at all?

edit:
The bible says earth is flat. Non-believers go to hell unfortunatly.

Really, why would God punish any human being for such a petty thing? God is not evil. Nor is he stupid.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2006, 01:11:20 PM »
Xargo, if you think discussions with me are futile, you should quickly re-read EarthFlowerGirl's posts again and find the not-so-subtle sarcasm.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 01:14:23 PM »
Wow this is not going how I hoped at all.  No more random arguments.  Please only post if you are adding to the list, or "disproving" a majority of the things I listed on the first page.  There are other places on the forum for unrelated arguments about the devil and what not.  Posting your belief’s one way or the other without evidence will only make you look like the morons you think the other side is.

As for the straight line thing, this is what I was trying to say:

Take a piece of paper, our flat earth, and mark two points: the South and North Pole, on opposite ends of the paper.  Because these point now exist in 2D, rather than on a 3D globe, it is possible for an observer on our paper earth to be facing both points at the same time, which is not possible on a round earth, and is reflected by compasses.
Also, as TheEngineer pointed out, note that on a round earth model, an imaginary longitude line can be drawn through any point; connecting the poles and an observer.  On our paper flat earth, if the observer moves East or West, this line is broken.  Not possible.  For an observer on earth, the poles are always in opposite directions.  If our observer went far enough East, for example, he could be facing the North pole, and only need to make a 90° turn to face the South pole, rather than a 180° turn.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »
Quote from: "Xargon"
Wow this is not going how I hoped at all.  No more random arguments.  Please only post if you are adding to the list, or "disproving" a majority of the things I listed on the first page.  There are other places on the forum for unrelated arguments about the devil and what not.  Posting your belief’s one way or the other without evidence will only make you look like the morons you think the other side is.

As for the straight line thing, this is what I was trying to say:

Take a piece of paper, our flat earth, and mark two points: the South and North Pole, on opposite ends of the paper.  Because these point now exist in 2D, rather than on a 3D globe, it is possible for an observer on our paper earth to be facing both points at the same time, which is not possible on a round earth, and is reflected by compasses.
Also, as TheEngineer pointed out, note that on a round earth model, an imaginary longitude line can be drawn through any point; connecting the poles and an observer.  On our paper flat earth, if the observer moves East or West, this line is broken.  Not possible.  For an observer on earth, the poles are always in opposite directions.  If our observer went far enough East, for example, he could be facing the North pole, and only need to make a 90° turn to face the South pole, rather than a 180° turn.

FE does not claim that the Earth is two-dimensional.  It is generally flat in that the terrain has no basic curvature over the entire Earth.  I guess you could think of it like a deep dish pizza.

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"
FE does not claim that the Earth is two-dimensional.  It is generally flat in that the terrain has no basic curvature over the entire Earth.  I guess you could think of it like a deep dish pizza.

Standing on a high enough level, the theory still should work on a FE.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2006, 01:21:17 PM »
The problem is, the North pole is the dead center of the Earth while the South Pole is the farthest point from the North pole using a straight line.  It doesn't matter where you direct the line as long as it goes directly to the "end of the Earth".

That point, no matter where it is, will be the South pole.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
Fuck. Now you got me thirsting for pizza. :(

?

Victor von Doom

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 01:46:25 PM »
... So you say the Earth is a flat-ish cylinder, but that contradicts the word flat as it means 2-Dimensional.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »
Quote from: "Victor von Doom"
... So you say the Earth is a flat-ish cylinder, but that contradicts the word flat as it means 2-Dimensional.

Yes.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »
Who said the earth was 2D?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2006, 02:01:28 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
I've already explained how it would work using a globe or the FE map.  And yes, every point on a RE lies in a straight line (on a curved surface) with the north and south poles, as does every point on the FE map.

As I said earlier, it is possible to draw this line on either model.  For the FE, the outer rim of the earth is the south pole.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »
Gee, what a surprise, the FErs are completely ignoring the new questions posed in the initial post and only focusing on the questions they have stock answers to.

?

Flat Earth Supporter

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »
I could say the same about you REers.  Poor brainwashed fools.  :(

Re: Explain THIS flat earthers!
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »
OK YEAH LETS ROCK!
Quote from: "Xargon"

*Satellites

Don't exist.

*Satellite TV

*GPS systems, which use satellites.
*Satellite radio.

Signals broadcast by tall radio towers.

*The fact that anybody can see satellites, when away from the city lights on a clear night.  (Satellites look and move VERY different from airplanes or “shooting stars”)  

Those are actually secret government airplanes. Or birds or something.

*Zero G footage (in space), made by NASA, lasting longer than 25 seconds (the maximum time zero G can be sustained by NASA’s “Vomit Comet”).

I guess George Lucas invented the proton torpedo too, right?
(In other words, fake).

*They round appearance of all the planets, which can bee seen by any amature with a decent telescope. And by “round,” I do not merely mean that they look like circular discs. I mean that features, such as the craters of the moon, are distorted looking near the “edge” as the curve away form view.

Maybe the other planets are spheres. I don't see how this is relevent to the shape of the Earth, so I'm not going to spend much time thinking up any more of an explanation.

And yeah, I'm saying the Earth might be different from Mars, so don't ask.

*A very large pendulum will appear to change direction, as the earth rotates under it. (This can be seen in science museums all over the world.)

The earth is spinning a little bit. It's also rocking back and forth slightly, as this produces tides. Either of these could explain small changes in a pendulum's path.

*Satellite imagery, showing a curved earth.

Fake, duh.

*The fact that maps of the round earth hold true for those piloting / navigating / driving: airplanes, ships, and land vehicles.  If the earth is in any way different, from the way it is currently mapped, (such as the idea that it looks like the UN flag), then distances would differ greatly than they do on the map of the round earth, which they don’t.  The maps that are built off of a round earth accurately depict the distance, and directions of any two points on earth.

Nah. Land-based distances could be pretty much the same, and it seems to me like ocean-faring distances would be harder to measure without the help of star-based navigation or GPS. Yeah they'll be off, but who's going to notice?

*On the subject of distances on maps, I would encourage you try one of these programs:

NASA’s World Wind and Google’s Google Earth.  Both are programs that have the entire spherical earth, mapped, and photographed in 3D.  Google Earth even has a measuring tool.  How could this work properly if the map was being distorted as part of a conspiracy?

Um, they're fake. The distances those programs give you aren't correct.

*The sheer number of people who work for NASA, the military, airlines, weather services, satellite design and manufacturing, companies that design navigational systems and the companies that support those organizations.

This isn't even a question. Yeah, we get it. Big conspiracy.

*The fact that modern warships can fire artillery shells so far, they must account for the curvature of the earth when calculating its trajector. That is, the shell goes over the horizon. This is also true of missiles

Wait, you mean those warships that are part of a country's military defense organizations? Like, controlled by the government and stuff?.  

*Radio’s having a farther range at night, as the radio waves bounce off of the earth’s curved ionosphere: AM radio stations must cut their transmitting power in the evening, to prevent one station from bleeding over to the next. Ham radio operators can take advantage of this effect, and transmit and receive signals to and from other continents.

Why does this happen on your round earth model? Does it have something to do with the sun? It seems like it would. I'd assert the same thing happens on a flat earth; the sun interferes somehow.

*The sun is always setting and rising at the same time somewhere on earth.  

I agree.

*Ocean tides and their relation ship to the moon’s orbit around earth. (This is also evidence of gravity.)

It's also evidence of coincidence. As I mentioned, tides are caused by a gentle see-sawing motion by the earth. Nothing to do with the moon.

*Why the lit half** of the moon is always the one facing the sun.  Look at the moon during sunset and see for yourself.  During a full moon, the sun will be on the opposite side of the sky from the moon. How is any of this possible if the earth is flat?

My guess is the sun shines on the moon some times more than others.

**There is no true dark side of the moon. Half the moon is always lit, and which half changes as it orbits around the earth, which it does at the same speed it rotates, so the same side of the moon is always facing us.  The moon budges on this side, due to earth’s gravity.

No, the moon bulges on the Earthward side because of it's constant linear upward acceleration. Teardrop effect.

*The earth’s round shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, and the moon’s round shadow on earth during a solar eclipse.  

They're both circular, obviously.

*Only some parts of the earth can see a solar eclipse, when they do occur. (From space, it looks like a round shadow (the moon’s) being cast onto the earth surface.)
I assume this is when the moon passes in front of the sun.

*The fact that our model of the solar system (including how the earth orbits the sun), so accurately predicts where the moon, planets, and stars will appear in the sky on any given day,(It also predicts lunar and solar eclipses.) while no such model exists for a flat earth universe.  

Sure a model exists for the flat earth universe. We predict planetary movement all the time, don't we? They must follow a predictable path.

*The seasons, and why they are opposite on the different sides of the equator. (January is Australia’s Summer, but North America's Winter.)  

Because the radius of the suns orbit over the equator changes throughout the year; during the summer months in North America its orbit is closer to the north pole, while in the summer months of Australia it is expanded closer to the ice wall.

*Why the numbers of hours of daylight are longer or shorter (depending on the time of year) the closer one is to  the earth’s poles.

Same.

*The Northern and Southern hemispheres have different views of the night sky.  Ask any astronomer, and they’ll tell you that the southern hemisphere’s view is better.

Different stars overhead, obviously.

*The relative locations of the North Pole, South Pole, and the equator. (All three can’t even exist simultaneously in a flat earth model.)

This is wrong. North pole is the center. Equator is a ring equadistant from the center and the rim. South pole is the rim.

*Compasses: if the magnetic North and South poles were two points on a flat surface, it would be possible to pass one of them, and be facing both poles at the same time. This means one pole would be closer to you than the other and that you, the north pole, and the south pole, could form a straight line.  Just can’t happen, as shown by compass needles, because magnetic North and South are never in the same direction.

You don't understand the flat earth model. The south pole is not a "point".

*Any of the round earth arguments here.  Many of which you can try for yourself.

Why don't you try them?

And your whole conspiracy stuff is old and stale.

By the way, if I was a mod I would delete posts like this. One topic per post, or maybe a couple if they are in some way related. This scattershot stuff makes a focused discussion completely impossible.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2006, 02:43:08 PM »
Earth is flat. You're going to hell if you don't believe it.
et us all embrace the will of God.

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2006, 02:50:39 PM »
Earth is flat. You're going to hell if you don't believe it.

According to The Bible, Earth is round.

Duke

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »
Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. Each functions as a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light," the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by optical illusions.

If the Moon shines by itself too why sometimes we see parts of it being darker? The darker and lighter parts clearly have curved outlines which proves its spheric shape.
f you can't make it, fake it.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2006, 02:57:14 PM »
I cant believe it.... So... Earth is actually ROUND?? :-O

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2006, 02:58:43 PM »
Nope.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »
Its not? Now Im confused :(

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »
The earth is not a sphere, but is instead flat!

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2006, 03:05:52 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
*The fact that anybody can see satellites, when away from the city lights on a clear night.  (Satellites look and move VERY different from airplanes or “shooting stars”)  

Giant glowing, blinking birds? What about the fact that details of these satellites can be seen with telescopes?

I guess George Lucas invented the proton torpedo too, right?
(In other words, fake).

How does one fake Zero G? The hair, the face, the hovering? Keep in mind these are live feeds, unless Jay Leno is part of the conspiracy, too?

Nah. Land-based distances could be pretty much the same, and it seems to me like ocean-faring distances would be harder to measure without the help of star-based navigation or GPS. Yeah they'll be off, but who's going to notice?

Are you sure land-based distances would be the same? How can the distance around the world be the same above and below the equator on FE?

It's also evidence of coincidence. As I mentioned, tides are caused by a gentle see-sawing motion by the earth. Nothing to do with the moon.

So it's just a coincidence that the tides appear to be affected by the moon's phases, so much so that we predict tidal activities based on lunar activities?

*The earth’s round shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, and the moon’s round shadow on earth during a solar eclipse.  

They're both circular, obviously.
But if the Sun is above Earth, how can it cast a shadow on the Moon?

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »
The earth is not a sphere, but is instead flat!

I KNEW it!

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2006, 03:12:28 PM »
Quote from: "EnCrypto"
Are you sure land-based distances would be the same? How can the distance around the world be the same above and below the equator on FE?

If I understand FE enough, I don't believe FE claims that the surface area is any larger or smaller than that of a round Earth.

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2006, 03:16:30 PM »

Giant glowing, blinking birds? What about the fact that details of these satellites can be seen with telescopes?

OMG! You totally ignored half of my answer! EARTH IS FLAT I WIN! [/RE]

How does one fake Zero G? The hair, the face, the hovering? Keep in mind these are live feeds, unless Jay Leno is part of the conspiracy, too?

Did you see the movie Apollo 13? And what do you mean by "live feeds"? NASA creates this doctored footage ahead of time, then shows it when they want.

Why would they be different?

So it's just a coincidence that the tides appear to be affected by the moon's phases, so much so that we predict tidal activities based on lunar activities?

They both follow predictible paths, and their paths seem to coincide. Seems coincidental to me.

But if the Sun is above Earth, how can it cast a shadow on the Moon?

You don't cast shadows, you simply fail to cast light. The sun is a spotlight, it does this all the time. Heck, it did it again just last night.

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:51 PM »
Quote from: "Mephistopheles"

If I understand FE enough, I don't believe FE claims that the surface area is any larger or smaller than that of a round Earth.

Okay, if you wrap a string around an RE globe 30 degrees above the equator and cut it so it's just long enough to touch end to end, that will be just enough to wrap around the globe 30 degrees below the equator (give or take a few millimeters). If you wrap a string around (using pins as guide points) an FE 3D model 30 degrees above the equator, that won't be enough to do the same 30 degrees below the equator.

You totally ignored half of my answer! EARTH IS FLAT I WIN! [/RE]

And you ignored half of my answer! EARTH IS ROUND I WIN!!

If you get a telescope, and look through it, you can see the satellites and see that they aren't aircrafts.

Did you see the movie Apollo 13? And what do you mean by "live feeds"? NASA creates this doctored footage ahead of time, then shows it when they want.

Did you read the other reply to this answer? No Zero G shot lasts longer than 25 seconds. And by live feeds, I mean the live interviews NASA crews do with various talk show hosts while in space, interviews that also last longer than 25 seconds. Hence my comment "Unless Jay Leno is in on the conspiracy."

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2006, 03:37:36 PM »
Okay, if you wrap a string around an RE globe 30 degrees above the equator and cut it so it's just long enough to touch end to end, that will be just enough to wrap around the globe 30 degrees below the equator (give or take a few millimeters).

I believe this claim is false.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2006, 03:37:59 PM »
I don't see what that has to do with why a flat Earth would have less surface area than a round Earth.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »
Someone ban him please.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2006, 04:58:18 PM »

Here's a rough diagram of the point I'm trying to make.

On top is RE, below is FE.