My grandpa flew the B-17 in WWII.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:14:51 PM by Raist »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Personal Experience
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »
FE predicts that from very great heights the Earth's surface will appear curved, due to the effects of electromagnetic acceleration.

Really? Where does it predict that? In the FAQ?

Unfortunately, no; it's not considered canon.  Here is an in-depth discussion of the theory of electromagnetic acceleration:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=27958.0

And so does this mean that all the accounts of the earth appearing curved were correct?

And that all the

marines, engineers and pilots here

who say there is no observable curve are wrong?

Well, no.  The apparent curvature is not noticeable from heights below about 50,000 feet.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
No extra rating for retractable....

If you are interested, my father did a bit in ww2, one of the few to survive. Amongst others, DC3/C47. The forerunner of your mode of transport. He's still alive, very mobile and reckons the DC3 is the best plane ever made. Hundreds still flying.

Really?  I think there used to be a gear requirement.

My grandpa flew the B-17 in WWII.

Sweet fucking airplane.

Here for example is "WardoggKC130FE" arguing that all he can see is a "spotlight"...

Is he wrong?

I am never wrong  ;)

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
The apparent curvature is not noticeable from heights below about 50,000 feet.

Yes, but all those marines, engineers and pilots from here who say they have flown at that altitude and say there is no curvature... are they wrong?

Here for example is "WardoggKC130FE" arguing that all he can see is a "spotlight"...

Let me ask you something.  Do you see the curvature of a big ball or the circular illumination of a spotlight on a flat plane?

BTW this was from 70K.

Is he wrong?

Well, I think the spotlight effect is caused by electromagnetic acceleration.  The sun is not literally a "spotlight", it just appears that way to us on Earth because of the bending of light allowing it to reach only a portion of the Earth's surface, and that portion does (naturally) appear curved to an observer.  So no.

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
Adding this to the many others who have seen curvature out of a jet, it means that the consensus is that they DO see a curve, which means the earth must be round.
A premature conclusion at best. The circular spotlight of the sun could easily create such an illusion from a significant enough height.

You want testimonies? Each man who has been out of space has one. Each man who has seen a curve has one.

Majority wins and everybody knows. The earth is round, we have proof + testimonies + peer reviews.
The various testimonies are inconsistent and therefore unreliable. In addition, your championship of a logical fallacy does little to assist your side of the debate.

So you have testimonies performed by scientists that confirm a flat earth? Is your logic strong enough to convince that the earth is indeed flat?

And a circular spotlight would not give the same effect as curvature. If it was just a circular spotlight, the outside of the spotlight would still be slightly visible. But because it is not (it is completely pitch black darkness), it concludes that the earth is round, and you are just seeing a true curvature.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:10:18 PM by Paralyzed Night »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
Well, I think the spotlight effect is caused by electromagnetic acceleration.  The sun is not literally a "spotlight", it just appears that way to us on Earth because of the bending of light allowing it to reach only a portion of the Earth's surface, and that portion does (naturally) appear curved to an observer.  So no.

OK so he's right.

We are looking at a spotlight from 70K. Which means there is no "apparent curvature". Which means you're wrong.

How do y'figure?  ???

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 01:51:04 AM »
http://capnspace.org/images/earth_from_92000ft.jpg

check link. looks like it curving to me!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Well, I think the spotlight effect is caused by electromagnetic acceleration.  The sun is not literally a "spotlight", it just appears that way to us on Earth because of the bending of light allowing it to reach only a portion of the Earth's surface, and that portion does (naturally) appear curved to an observer.  So no.

OK so he's right.

We are looking at a spotlight from 70K. Which means there is no "apparent curvature". Which means you're wrong.

How do y'figure?  ???

Because the photo either shows a spotlight or the curvature of the earth. Since you're saying Wardogg is right when he says its a spotlight, it means you're wrong when you say that the curvature is observable.

Sucks to be you.

You don't see apparent curvature in that picture?  I think you're confused about what I mean by "apparent".  Invest in a dictionary.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
You don't see apparent curvature in that picture?  I think you're confused about what I mean by "apparent".  Invest in a dictionary.

Don't need one. Apparent - meaning to easily see. So I can easily see the curvature... or I can easily see the spotlight. One of you two is wrong.

Evidently you do.  I was being a bit facetious when I first suggested you get a dictionary but now I see that you desperately need one.  You see, (I know this seems outlandish) but many words in the English language have multiple definitions, and you must use context (look it up, I'm not going to the trouble of finding the definition of another word for you) to figure out which definition applies.  So when I used the word "apparent", I meant it in this sense, from Merriam Webster Online:

5  : manifest to the senses or mind as real or true on the basis of evidence that may or may not be factually valid <the air of spontaneity is perhaps more apparent than real ? J. R. Sutherland>

I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your strong point; I'm sorry if I'm using too many "SAT" words for you to understand me.  Tell me, have you progressed beyond elementary/grammar school yet?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
5  : manifest to the senses or mind as real or true on the basis of evidence that may or may not be factually valid <the air of spontaneity is perhaps more apparent than real ? J. R. Sutherland>

So when you said this:

FE predicts that from very great heights the Earth's surface will appear curved

You meant "appear" but not really be. Example: "It appears you are winning this debate."

And then when you said:

Two pilots who post here, TheEngineer and WardoggKC130FE, have attested that they've never seen any curvature.

You mean that there didn't appear to be any curvature?

You really are a confused individual.

No.  There appears to be curvature in the picture; there didn't appear to be any curvature to TheEngineer and Wardogg.  I believe you pointed out that the altitude of the picture was 70K, which was likely higher than the heights to which the two of them have attested curvature is not visible.  I myself have been on several commercial flights and have never once seen curvature.

Let's remember that the picture is one situation and Engy and Wardogg's experience is an entirely other situation.  It... sounds like you're a mite confused here since the two appear to run together into one for you.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »
Lets remember that these are pilots that claim to have flown at altitudes where (according to RE) the curvature should be visible.

Can I see the quotes where they say that?  It's news to me.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
I have never seen a curvature in all my time at 45,000 feet.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:13 PM »
See?  There's no conflict here.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »
 ???

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »
See?  There's no conflict here.

http://www.sas.org/tcs/weeklyIssues_2007/2007-09-07/feature2/

Looks curved to me.

Spotlight, good try though.

FE predicts that from very great heights the Earth's surface will appear curved

http://www.michielb.nl/planetarium/mars-1600x1200.jpg

Distortion, for whatever reason makes photo's unreliable. Here is one of Mars with a concave surface. It is a N.A.S.A fake, yours is probably faked as well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:00:18 AM by spanner34.5 »
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 06:15:44 AM »
http://www.michielb.nl/planetarium/mars-1600x1200.jpg

Distortion, for whatever reason makes photo's unreliable.

Not if you know the source of the distortion and can compensate for it.  Then photographs can be incredibly useful.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
Yeah, that's not a stretch at all... ::)

Take a look at this pic of Brittany, France...

See how Brittany is deformed?... how it curves?...

How is it deformed?  How does it curve?  What point are you trying to make?  ???

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »
How is it deformed?

Look at the picture. See how that tiny part of France stretches from the foreground to the background?

What evidence do you have that this picture shows any distortion at all?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »
What evidence do you have that this picture shows any distortion at all?

Look at the picture. See how that tiny part of France stretches from the foreground to the background?

How does the relative size of Brittany in the image differ from what we would normally expect due to the laws of perspective?

Objects in the foreground tend to look larger, whether there's distortion or not.

So do you have any real evidence that this image shows distortion?

spanner34.5

• feck arse drink
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »
Yeah, that's not a stretch at all... ::)

Take a look at this pic of Brittany, France...

See how Brittany is deformed?... how it curves?...
Why, in this faked photo, have N.A.S.A. forgotten to include the atmosphere?
My I.Q. is 85. Or was it 58?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »
How does the relative size of Brittany in the image differ from what we would normally expect due to the laws of perspective?

A simple answer is that Brittany is taking up a very large proportion of the so called "spotlight".

Another answer is to examine the known distances between point around Brittany. The deformation is according to a sphere and not a plane.

Well, go ahead.  You're putting forth the notion that this picture proves that the Earth is a sphere.  Prove your statement using the method you've mentioned that "the deformation is according to a sphere and not a plane."