Not only is the Earth Flat, but it is my personal choice to see it that way!

• 8 Replies
?

KIT

So here is my first discussion and rather than spout off about the fact that the Earth is without question flat (which those with insight know to be true) I wish to voice another, often neglected factor, a factor which is extremely important to the whole argument.

Firstly, it is without question my personal freedom to see the world as flat, even if those wish to take my freedom away by trying to manipulate me into another way of thinking. That very freedom I see as the key to this entire issue, I accept that those people who wish to see the Earth as round may do so, I just ask that they accept my personal point of view. The round earthers can throw any piece of evidence my way, any picture, painting, video tape, anything to try to convince me, they never will because I have made a choice. In my world the Earth is flat. But why....?

To my second point.

When I speak of a flat earth I am no just making reference to the physical appearance of the planet. I am raising my cup to the ancient world (in particular the Hellenic world) and joining the ranks of Homer and all those wonderful people, it never hurt them to see the world as flat. For me the flat earth is not just about the physical appearance of the earth it is about the wholesale rejection of modern scientific thought. Rather than bury my head in New Sceintist I ponder the questions that were posed by those of long ago. Questions which modern science has the habit of assuming sole ownership over, questions that were asked centurys ago but today scientists make claims to be the first. Even the atom was being spoken about before the birth of christ, all modern science did was invent the microscope to make research in this area more provable. So for me the flat earth connects me with the past, the art and religion, medicine and science, drama and poetry of the old world. The world of the flat earth....

Thirdly.

I distrust science because it makes claims that it cannot always justify and creates products which destroy nature. By stating that the world is flat I protest against any round world theory's that can be thrown at me.

In conclusion the world is what ever shape you wish to see it. Dont forget that if viewed from above (high above and far away) it does indeed look like a disc (as does our sun. That friends is enough proof for me. What we are all talking about is an optical illusion, like life really, it all depende on how you see it. I stand with the ancients, they never finished a train of though and drew a cast iron conclusion because they knew that life does not work like that. What I will say to the round earthers is, dont be so sure. Upon my earth I cannot fall off.....

?

zork

Firstly, it is without question my personal freedom to see the world as flat, even if those wish to take my freedom away by trying to manipulate me into another way of thinking. That very freedom I see as the key to this entire issue, I accept that those people who wish to see the Earth as round may do so, I just ask that they accept my personal point of view.
I for example don't accept your personal point of view, I only accept the fact that your view is the flat earth view. You are free to think whatever you like until you go and start preaching it. And if you start then there are others who are going to go against it.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.

it is without question my personal freedom to see the world as flat

It is my personal freedom to laugh at you.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
it is without question my personal freedom to see the world as flat

It is my personal freedom to laugh at you.
You could, however in the end it does little but make you look ignorant.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

Then I have the freedom to think that the sky is red during daytime, no matter what pieces of evidence you throw at me.

Wow... I'm pretty sure you didn't get a good grade in your Logical Principles course at uni ;)
Quote from: Neil Armstrong
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
Then I have the freedom to think that the sky is red during daytime, no matter what pieces of evidence you throw at me.
You could be colour blind.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

?

Dr Matrix

• In Soviet Russia, Matrix enters you!
Excellent first post KIT, if I do say so - you are setting out your principles very clearly, even if they do somewhat preclude rational debate.  Still, welcome to TFES!
Quote from: Arthur Schopenhauer
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

You could be colour blind.

.... I'm pretty sure that you have understood what I meant.
Quote from: Neil Armstrong
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

?

utilitarianism

• do you know the muffin man...
well, by the same logic I am a solipsist. my subconcious mind made you all RE'ers so I could have something to prove in order to practice my concious mind's thoughts to perfection.

you, do not exist. I invented you solely to torture myself for that time I ate a baby.

negative level utilitarianism hath just condemmed you to death.