Please Explain: Lava

• 12 Replies
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:31:15 PM »
Hi guys, could you please tell ignorant little old me how the flat Earth produces Lava, Earthquakes, Tektonics and Continental Drift? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Please Explain: Lava
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »
Quote from: "FungusMcUncle"
Lava,

It's hot underground.  Rocks melt.

Earthquakes, Tektonics and Continental Drift?

There are these plates, you see, and they move around.  On top of the Earth.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »
Where underground? I thought the Earth was a flat disc, to speak of an "underground" implies the Earth is cylindrical, think about it!

If convection current theory isn't going to be derided here, then how come there isn't a constant upwelling of lava at the "centre" of the Earth pushing the continents to the outer edge of Earth? In fact how can there be lava in a flat Earth yet ice sitting on top of it? I though hot air rises? It would melt the ice wouldn't it?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:52:01 PM »
Where underground? I thought the Earth was a flat disc, to speak of an "underground" implies the Earth is cylindrical, think about it!

Yes yes, you've found a fatal flaw in the theory; the Earth cannot be an idealized two-dimensional plane, with no thickness whatsoever.  Man, so foolish of us.

If convection current theory isn't going to be derided here, then how come there isn't a constant upwelling of lava at the "centre" of the Earth pushing the continents to the outer edge of Earth?

How come there would be such an upwelling?  There's upwelling in other parts of the world... ridges and such, and, I suppose, volcanoes.

In fact how can there be lava in a flat Earth yet ice sitting on top of it?

How can there be lava in a round Earth yet ice sitting on top of it?

I though hot air rises?

You thought correctly.

Fortunately, lava is heavier than air.

It would melt the ice wouldn't it?

Well when the hot air rises, probably the direction it will go is "up".  If it's still hot by the time it gets to... whatever ice you think there is up above us, yes, I suppose it would melt it.  Then I guess it would rain.  Or something.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 09:59:09 PM »
I actually meant the ice "ring" around the flat earth and ice on top of mountains, polar caps etc, it would be plain foolish to think a massive chunk of ice is suspended above us (we can't see it can we?).

A round earth has would have vastly more mass, thus the heat of the lava/core doesn't reach the ice at as hot a temperature, a flat earth would conduct the heat through its thinner "plane" and melt the ice....

Hang on... if the Flat earth is rising, and hot air rises, how is it we aren't living trapped in a pocket of superheated air? The earth would have to be rising pretty fast, does that mean the whole solar system is rising too?

Erasmus: you've been through this a few times havn't you :-)

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »
A round earth has would have vastly more mass, thus the heat of the lava/core doesn't reach the ice at as hot a temperature, a flat earth would conduct the heat through its thinner "plane" and melt the ice....

The places you find ice tend to be not the same places where you find lava.

Hang on... if the Flat earth is rising, and hot air rises, how is it we aren't living trapped in a pocket of superheated air?

Because the hot air rises above the cold air.

Anything that rises must be moving upwards faster than the Earth, which means it will be getting farther away from the Earth.  That's what "rising" means.

Erasmus: you've been through this a few times havn't you :-)

I haven't heard this exact line of attack yet.... not that I really see where you're going with it, no offense.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 10:17:30 PM »
hey hey! Not attacking, just curious, no-one has really provided me with concrete irrefutable "in the flesh" proof either way, I'm genuinely interested in why the flat earth vs round earth debate still continues to this day...

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
I'm genuinely interested in why the flat earth vs round earth debate still continues to this day...

I hope your sojourn with us, however brief, will sate your curiosity.  Perhaps you will accept a hint, however: the debate is not flat Earth vs. round Earth.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »
what exactly are we discussing/debating...

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 10:53:21 PM »
what exactly are we discussing/debating...

Sorry.  Only one hint per customer.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 10:55:40 PM »
haha, clever :-)

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 10:52:53 AM »
I do not believe in the modern theory of continental drift.  People come up with novel theories all the time, and this is another one of them.  It seems the newness of an idea unfortunately often lends it popularity while ancient concepts are scoffed at.

As far as lava, I have read that dragons exist at the bottom of active volcanoes.  I have not investigated this (which would be nice given the time to do so), but I actually believe this shy of more convincing explanations.  It is definitely more credible to me than many modern geologists which would deny the dragons' existence due ONLY to their prejudiced ideas.  Something creates the heat, and I do have some evidence that the heat which transforms suvbstances into lava being produced by dragons was a widespread belief in the past.  It would be interesting to see the views of learned men of the past about this, not the garbage of prejudiced modern scientists (unless you are talking about cryptozoologists like Loren Coleman).

- Dionysios

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »
Dionysios: Big bloody Dragons. Mate. If the Earth is flat there aint much room down there for them and how would a being made of flesh not cook from having lava in its gullet - you are a person of very limited intelligence aren't you.....