Circumnavigating antarctica

• 12 Replies
Circumnavigating antarctica
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »
Some travel agencies provide trips around the antarctic on a boat. How is this explained in the FET ? They can't circumnavigate around the entire outer rim of the earth because it would require the boat going constantly 200 mph.

Re: Circumnavigating antarctica
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18:09 AM »

A link to such agencies would be useful. With details of journey times and boats empleyed. Perhaps.

http://www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/antarctica_cruise5.asp

?

utilitarianism

• do you know the muffin man...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
try booking a trip.
it's 17000 dollars min.

I doubt they actually give any tours, but a joke website looks pretty cool

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:49:34 AM »
I doubt they actually give any tours, but a joke website looks pretty cool

What makes you think it's a joke? They offer wide range of travel holidays in South America... the antarctica being one of them.

?

12345SA

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
http://www.antarcticacup.com/x_HOME.CFM

Applicable in this thread as well. Web link takes you to a site of a well documented trip around Antarctica in a Sail Boat.

?

Dr Matrix

• In Soviet Russia, Matrix enters you!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
Ah, so you were on this boat?
Quote from: Arthur Schopenhauer
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

?

12345SA

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »
Nope. But know some who were involved with the coordination of the Solo Sail.

?

12345SA

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
chirp, chirp, chirp... does silence mean "You have proven your point in a way we can not Fairy Dust away so we now allow this Thread to go away"?

?

Dr Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:21:36 PM »
Talk is cheap - unless you were on the boat that did it, have independent navigational devices such as a laser gyroscope and accelerometers and kept a video log of the event and your data collection, how are we supposed to trust your testimony? "Some dude told me it happened" doesn't really cut it from a scientific standpoint.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
unless you were on the boat that did it, have independent navigational devices such as a laser gyroscope and accelerometers and kept a video log of the event and your data collection

Of course, all we need is an unreasonable amount of data to show that the planet is the shape it is.

It may not be much, but it's more evidence than there is for a vast wall of ice around the planet. Unless there's an obvious reason to not trust it, I don't see why it should be dismissed.

?

Dr Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:36:59 PM »
Well one obvious reason to distrust such an event is that it shows the Earth is not flat, which it clearly is.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »
Well one obvious reason to distrust such an event is that it shows the Earth is not flat, which it clearly is.

It's never looked flat to me.

Plus, starting off by assuming the Earth is flat is hardly an unbiased way of determining the shape of the planet.

?

12345SA

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
Hmm, I see a problem with this logic. No Matter what anyone says unless they did it they are full of it. Easy to defend a position when you provide no details and cry BS when someone tries to give details.

So I can not take realtime data while the race was going on and GPS readings after the race from the Boats as Fact to prove that the Yacht has indeed circumnavigated Antarctica as well as the word of a friend but you can take the writings from the Bible and older when the Earth was indeed "smaller" as Modern Travel was not around and loose Conspiracy Theories stating that the world is flat as Fact. Even educated medieval people did not believe the Earth to be flat. In fact, if they studied their Plato, Aristotle, or Euclid, they knew the shape of the Earth.

There is a dangerous tendency to mask ignorance and claim one understands a subject without context, real knowledge or relevant literature and only extreme prejudice to back up spurious claims.  :-*