Greatest NHL goaltender of all time?

• 23 Replies
?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
Greatest NHL goaltender of all time?
« on: March 20, 2009, 07:35:47 AM »
With Martin Brodeur getting his 552nd career win on Tuesday night, and passing Patrick Roy for the all-time record, who do you think is the greatest goaltender in NHL history?

I'm gonna have to go with Patrick Roy.
"There is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise on this." -Rorschach

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
Re: Greatest NHL goaltender of all time?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
Wayne Gretzky.  Because that's the only goaltender I know of.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Wayne Gretzky wasn't a goaltender. Lol! He was a forward. Goaltender is the guy who guards the net. Visit this link:http://www.goaliesarchive.com
"There is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise on this." -Rorschach

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
He was actually a center. That doesn't change the fact that he's the only hockey player I know. Well, he and Foppa Forsberg.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »
A centre is a forward player. And Foppa was amazing in his prime. I miss watching his play.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »
I hear that he got a manoeuvre named after him. Is that true?

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »
Not to my knowledge. Do you know what it's called, by any chance?

LordTalon69

• I think I may have the lulz.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
 ;D I know hardly anything about hockey just basic words like icing, off sides.. and basic positions because most of them are similar to soccer. In wendy's defense though I can only name two hockey players off the top of my head too ..

gretzkey and lemiuo [can't spell either of em].

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »
Ice hockey is great but I'm rubbish with remembering names. Plus I don't follow NHL, I watch SM Liiga and occasional the Swedish league
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:43:44 PM »
Saku Koivu played for TPS Turku in SM-Liiga.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Nothing good comes out of Turku (although I guess in Saku's case its an exception). I support Ilves.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:04 PM »
Who has played there? I'm not familiar with that team...

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
Not to my knowledge. Do you know what it's called, by any chance?

I don't remember. Maybe it's a Swedish thing from when he played in MoDo Hockey.

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »
It's very likely. He's an icon out there. Here in North America, however, people just refer to him as Peter the Great.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 12:55:59 PM »
Who has played there? I'm not familiar with that team...

Markus Mattson used to play for them. He was also the first Finnish goaltender in NHL.

Its the most succesful team in SM Liiga overall but haven't been too good lately

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »
Intereseting. I will look into this...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Brodeur or Plante or Sawchuk;  I hate Roy, so I'm probably a bit biased.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
Tim Tebow and Dennis Dixon are the best goaltenders of all time.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
I say Oliver Kahn.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

?

Garaleus

• Twisted Devotion
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 06:32:36 AM »
Brodeur or Plante or Sawchuk;  I hate Roy, so I'm probably a bit biased.

I never seen Plante play (and I doubt many people on this forum have), but I would put him in my top 10, as well as Sawchuk. I've never really been a huge Brodeur fan, and I've always admired Roy. I mean, how could you compete with 10 overtime victories en route to a Stanley Cup? That's a record that'll never be broken, not even by Brodeur.

Tim Tebow and Dennis Dixon are the best goaltenders of all time.
These guys play football. We're looking at goaltenders. Not quarterbacks.

I say Oliver Kahn.

Good choice, but again, this is hockey. Olaf Kolzig is pretty good, in my books, however, for a German goalie.

?

prometheuspyrotechie

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:01 AM »
Either Vladislav Tretiak, Ken Dryden, or Jacques Plante. Considering what each did for the game, or did first. But if we're talking Roy versus Brodeur, that's way to close to pick one. I loved watching Roy, but Brodeur does have the record.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:34 AM »
Chris Fucking Osgood. BEST EVER.

Ok, maybe not... but Martin has been awesome, and he didn't get his ass kicked by Vernon AND Osgood, so... Brodeour wins.

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
1. Brodeur
2. Roy
3. Luongo

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
Luongo is terrible in the playoffs so he cannot be the best. It's close for me. Roy was stellar, clutch and inspiring. Brodeur was consistent, reliably great, technically superior. Both were amazing from word go. I give the edge to Brodeur for prolonged greatness, but its a coin toss. Dominik Hasek was the greatest show on ice for two years though. The best and most infuriating goalie I had seen for a short time. Great before and after, but really earned his nickname in 1998: The Dominator.

1. Brodeur
2. Roy
3. Hasek

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.