Evolution didn't happen

• 1539 Replies

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
Re: Evolution didn't happen
« Reply #1260 on: November 15, 2009, 07:54:19 PM »
Babs took those pictures straight from Wikipedia. He is right, what was believed to be some kind of feathers turned out to be from a plant. But since then we have uncovered dinosaur remains with fully intact feathers on them. So your argument is moot.

babsinva

• aka Mr. Fahrenheit
« Reply #1261 on: November 15, 2009, 08:24:54 PM »
Babs took those pictures straight from Wikipedia. He is right, what was believed to be some kind of feathers turned out to be from a plant. But since then we have uncovered dinosaur remains with fully intact feathers on them. So your argument is moot.

Oh so finally someone agrees with something I said, - because your bud Pete called me liar.  Thanks for that one Chief.  However although they have found dinosaurs with feathers - they have also found some that were NOT.  I never said ALL - Raist was implying all, and my response was to that.  And it's not moot, because like i said they found some that were this way, and not moot because Many people feel the same way- see references cited.

B-T-W- they are not the only 3 men who have studied this- there are others - MANY MANY MANY.

Wow! Thats so cool! Oh wait, your just lying again.

Righty-O!  I am just a liar- just like the time you said the Lipson piece did not exist, nor the journal- and I proved it did, and even took pictures of the full article, and proved everything, but you just think I concoct everything in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.  Sure, yeah, OK Pete.  See references below on the many people who had studied this bird Gastornis and it's similar bird Diatryma. 

Bigelow, Phil (2006): Controversial Patterson "Diatryma footprint" slab has been moved. Posted on the Dinosaur Mailing List 2006-APR-02. HTML fulltext

Brodkorb, Pierce (1967): Catalogue of Fossil Birds: Part 3 (Ralliformes, Ichthyornithiformes, Charadriiformes). Bulletin of the Florida State Museum 11(3). PDF or JPEG fulltext

Buffetaut, Eric (2004): Footprints of Giant Birds from the Upper Eocene of the Paris Basin: An Ichnological Enigma. Ichnos 11(3-4): 357-362. doi:10.1080/10420940490442287 (HTML abstract)

Cockerell, Theodore Dru Alison (1923): The Supposed Plumage of the Eocene Bird Diatryma. American Museum Novitates 62: 1-4. PDF fulltext

Cope, Edward Drinker (1876): On a gigantic bird from the Eocene of New Mexico. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 28(2): 10-11.

Cox, Barry; Harrison, Colin; Savage, R.J.G. & Gardiner, Brian (1999): The Simon & Schuster Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures: A Visual Who's Who of Prehistoric Life. Simon & Schuster.

Cuvier, Georges (1800): Sur les Ornitholithes de Montmartre ["On the bird fossils of Montmartre"]. Bulletin des Sciences par la société Philomatique de Paris 41: 129. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Doughton, Sandi (2004): Big birds on the Green River? The debate continues. Seattle Times, 2004-DEC-06. HTML fulltext

Dughi, R. & Sirugue, F. (1959): Sur des fragments de coquilles d'oeufs fossiles de l'Eocène de Basse-Provence ["On fossil eggshell fragments from the Eocene of Basse-Provence"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 249: 959-961 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Fabre-Taxy, Suzanne & Touraine, Fernand (1960): Gisements d'œufs d'Oiseaux de très grande taille dans l'Eocène de Provence ["Deposits of eggs from birds of very large size from the Eocene of Provence"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 250(23): 3870-3871 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.
Haines, Tim & Chambers, Paul (2006) The Complete Guide to Prehistoric Life. Firefly Books Ltd., Canada.

Hébert, E. (1855a): Note sur le tibia du Gastornis pariensis [sic] ["Note on the tibia of G. parisiensis"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 579-582 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Hébert, E. (1855b): Note sur le fémur du Gastornis parisiensis ["Note on the femur of G. parisiensis"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 1214-1217 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lartet, E. (1855): Note sur le tibia d'oiseau fossile de Meudon ["Note on the fossil bird tibia from Meudon"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 582-584 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lemoine, V. (1881a): Recherches sur les oiseaux fossiles des terrains tertiaires inférieurs des environs de Reims (Vol. 2): 75-170. Matot-Braine, Reims.

Lemoine, V. (1881b): Sur le Gastornis Edwardsii et le Remiornis Heberti de l'éocène inférieur des environs de Reims ["On G. edwardsii and R. heberti from the Lower Eocene of the Reims area"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 93: 1157-1159 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lyell, Charles (1865): Elements of Geology (6th ed.). J. Murray. HTML/PDF fulltext at Google Books.

Mlíkovský, Jirí (2002): Cenozoic Birds of the World, Part 1: Europe. Ninox Press, Prague. ISBN 80-901105-3-8 PDF fulltext

Prévost, Constant (1855): Annonce de la découverte d'un oiseau fossile de taille gigantesque, trouvé à la partie inférieure de l'argile plastique des terrains parisiens ["Announcement of the discovery of a fossil bird of gigantic size, found in the lower Argile Plastique formation of the Paris region"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 554-557 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Wetmore, Alexander (1930): The Supposed Plumage of the Eocene Diatryma. Auk 47(4): 579-580. DjVu fulltext PDF fulltext

Quote from Big Giant Head:  "Considered fictitious or phantom does not quantify its non-existence."

Quote from Soze:  "We cannot escape perception, but we can't assume reality doesn't exist outside of perception."

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #1262 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
Oh so finally someone agrees with something I said, - because your bud Pete called me liar.  Thanks for that one Chief.  However although they have found dinosaurs with feathers - they have also found some that were NOT.  I never said ALL - Raist was implying all, and my response was to that.  And it's not moot, because like i said they found some that were this way, and not moot because Many people feel the same way- see references cited.
Nobody ever claimed that all dinosaurs had feathers.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #1263 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:39 PM »
The dinosaurs that developed feathers are the ones that gave rise to birds.  Before they had full flight feathers they had plumage a lot like what you have shown.  Flight feathers developed from simpler proto feathers that were originally used for insulation, not flight.  Birds still have plumage today, exactly like many dinosaurs had.

Funny, that picture you provided looks a lot like an emu.  This is because emu's, as well as all birds are modern day dinosaurs that evolved from ancient feather bearing dinosaurs.

The three toed foot of an emu is unique in the animal kingdom, all birds have them, and all theropoda dinosaurs had them.  In fact, every trait common in dinosaurs we also see in birds.  Hence birds are dinosaurs. 

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #1264 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »

Oh so finally someone agrees with something I said, - because your bud Pete called me liar.  Thanks for that one Chief.  However although they have found dinosaurs with feathers - they have also found some that were NOT.  I never said ALL - Raist was implying all, and my response was to that.  And it's not moot, because like i said they found some that were this way, and not moot because Many people feel the same way- see references cited.

Maybe if you learned to back up your claims with studies, we'd respect you more?

B-T-W- they are not the only 3 men who have studied this- there are others - MANY MANY MANY.

Wow! Thats so cool! Oh wait, your just lying again.

Righty-O!  I am just a liar- just like the time you said the Lipson piece did not exist, nor the journal- and I proved it did, and even took pictures of the full article, and proved everything, but you just think I concoct everything in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop.  Sure, yeah, OK Pete.  See references below on the many people who had studied this bird Gastornis and it's similar bird Diatryma.  

Your stupid opinion piece again?

Bigelow, Phil (2006): Controversial Patterson "Diatryma footprint" slab has been moved. Posted on the Dinosaur Mailing List 2006-APR-02. HTML fulltext

Brodkorb, Pierce (1967): Catalogue of Fossil Birds: Part 3 (Ralliformes, Ichthyornithiformes, Charadriiformes). Bulletin of the Florida State Museum 11(3). PDF or JPEG fulltext

Buffetaut, Eric (2004): Footprints of Giant Birds from the Upper Eocene of the Paris Basin: An Ichnological Enigma. Ichnos 11(3-4): 357-362. doi:10.1080/10420940490442287 (HTML abstract)

Cockerell, Theodore Dru Alison (1923): The Supposed Plumage of the Eocene Bird Diatryma. American Museum Novitates 62: 1-4. PDF fulltext

Cope, Edward Drinker (1876): On a gigantic bird from the Eocene of New Mexico. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 28(2): 10-11.

Cox, Barry; Harrison, Colin; Savage, R.J.G. & Gardiner, Brian (1999): The Simon & Schuster Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Creatures: A Visual Who's Who of Prehistoric Life. Simon & Schuster.

Cuvier, Georges (1800): Sur les Ornitholithes de Montmartre ["On the bird fossils of Montmartre"]. Bulletin des Sciences par la société Philomatique de Paris 41: 129. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Doughton, Sandi (2004): Big birds on the Green River? The debate continues. Seattle Times, 2004-DEC-06. HTML fulltext

Dughi, R. & Sirugue, F. (1959): Sur des fragments de coquilles d'oeufs fossiles de l'Eocène de Basse-Provence ["On fossil eggshell fragments from the Eocene of Basse-Provence"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 249: 959-961 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Fabre-Taxy, Suzanne & Touraine, Fernand (1960): Gisements d'œufs d'Oiseaux de très grande taille dans l'Eocène de Provence ["Deposits of eggs from birds of very large size from the Eocene of Provence"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 250(23): 3870-3871 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.
Haines, Tim & Chambers, Paul (2006) The Complete Guide to Prehistoric Life. Firefly Books Ltd., Canada.

Hébert, E. (1855a): Note sur le tibia du Gastornis pariensis [sic] ["Note on the tibia of G. parisiensis"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 579-582 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Hébert, E. (1855b): Note sur le fémur du Gastornis parisiensis ["Note on the femur of G. parisiensis"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 1214-1217 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lartet, E. (1855): Note sur le tibia d'oiseau fossile de Meudon ["Note on the fossil bird tibia from Meudon"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 582-584 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lemoine, V. (1881a): Recherches sur les oiseaux fossiles des terrains tertiaires inférieurs des environs de Reims (Vol. 2): 75-170. Matot-Braine, Reims.

Lemoine, V. (1881b): Sur le Gastornis Edwardsii et le Remiornis Heberti de l'éocène inférieur des environs de Reims ["On G. edwardsii and R. heberti from the Lower Eocene of the Reims area"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 93: 1157-1159 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Lyell, Charles (1865): Elements of Geology (6th ed.). J. Murray. HTML/PDF fulltext at Google Books.

Mlíkovský, Jirí (2002): Cenozoic Birds of the World, Part 1: Europe. Ninox Press, Prague. ISBN 80-901105-3-8 PDF fulltext

Prévost, Constant (1855): Annonce de la découverte d'un oiseau fossile de taille gigantesque, trouvé ?  la partie inférieure de l'argile plastique des terrains parisiens ["Announcement of the discovery of a fossil bird of gigantic size, found in the lower Argile Plastique formation of the Paris region"]. C. R. Hebd. Acad. Sci. Paris 40: 554-557 [Article in French]. PDF fulltext at Gallica.

Wetmore, Alexander (1930): The Supposed Plumage of the Eocene Diatryma. Auk 47(4): 579-580. DjVu fulltext PDF fulltext

If you can't be bothered to post relevantly, and have to resort to copy pasta from Creationist websites of mostly outdated materials, I'm not going to waste my time. Explain how each of these studies is relevant instead of copy pasting crap without understanding it. And if you claim you understand it, I call bull, since about 5 of those articles are in French.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:40:26 PM by Pete »

« Reply #1265 on: November 16, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
RAWWRR-A-DoodleDOOOOOOOO!!!

Yeah. Or you could have posted an image of one of the dinosaurs that we happen to know, for fact, had feathers and/or wings.

That has to be the dumbest thing I ever saw, though I did laugh my ass off.
"We know that the sun is 93 million miles away and takes up 5 degrees of the sky.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #1266 on: November 16, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
 Sometimes it is taught that evolution is true because the development of the fetus within the womb of the human mother allegedly goes through all the stages of evolution, from single cell to multi-cell to fish-like to ape-like to human. However, such a theory is based upon sketches proven to be fraudulent by the Jena University Court, and is unequivocally and absolutely rejected by modern embryologists. Thus, the infamous Recapitulation Theory is a complete fraud!

Moreover, although vestigial appendages sometimes appear temporarily during the embryonic stages of development for human beings and animals, that is not the issue at hand. For instance, just because human baby embryos go through a stage in which they grow, and then eventually lose, a set of gills, does not mean that they look like fish or that they are fish at that point in time. Naturally, there are going to be similarities at times among biological life-forms because the Divine Creator used a common biological structure and basis for creating all of them.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #1267 on: November 16, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »
Sometimes it is taught that evolution is true because the development of the fetus within the womb of the human mother allegedly goes through all the stages of evolution, from single cell to multi-cell to fish-like to ape-like to human. However, such a theory is based upon sketches proven to be fraudulent by the Jena University Court, and is unequivocally and absolutely rejected by modern embryologists. Thus, the infamous Recapitulation Theory is a complete fraud!

Moreover, although vestigial appendages sometimes appear temporarily during the embryonic stages of development for human beings and animals, that is not the issue at hand. For instance, just because human baby embryos go through a stage in which they grow, and then eventually lose, a set of gills, does not mean that they look like fish or that they are fish at that point in time. Naturally, there are going to be similarities at times among biological life-forms because the Divine Creator used a common biological structure and basis for creating all of them.
Once again trying to use out-dated claims to prop up your conclusion. It wont fly.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Pete

• I believe that the earth is round
« Reply #1268 on: November 16, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »

Your right. Good thing that no one has ever used that as proof of evolution. Its an example of atavism, I believe. No one is retarded enough to use it as proof of evolution.  ::)

Moreover, although vestigial appendages sometimes appear temporarily during the embryonic stages of development for human beings and animals, that is not the issue at hand.[/quote]

Yes, ignore the fact that atavisms exist, indicating a line of common descent within phyla. We won't notice.  ::)

For instance, just because human baby embryos go through a stage in which they grow, and then eventually lose, a set of gills, does not mean that they look like fish or that they are fish at that point in time. Naturally, there are going to be similarities at times among biological life-forms because the Divine Creator used a common biological structure and basis for creating all of them.

"God did it" is not science. Try again.

?

Mykael

• Professor of the Horrible Sciences
« Reply #1269 on: November 17, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Relevant: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/11/speciation-in-action/

Quote from: Wired
Birth of New Species Witnessed by Scientists

On one of the Galapagos islands whose finches shaped the theories of a young Charles Darwin, biologists have witnessed that elusive moment when a single species splits in two.

In many ways, the split followed predictable patterns, requiring a hybrid newcomer who?d already taken baby steps down a new evolutionary path. But playing an unexpected part was chance, and the newcomer singing his own special song.

This miniature evolutionary saga is described in a paper published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It?s authored by Peter and Rosemary Grant, a husband-and-wife team who have spent much of the last 36 years studying a group of bird species known collectively as Darwin?s finches.

The finches ? or, technically, tanagers ? have adapted to the conditions of each island in the Galapagos, and they provided Darwin with a clear snapshot of evolutionary divergence when he sailed there on the HMS Beagle. The Grants have pushed that work further, with decades of painstaking observations providing a real-time record of evolution in action. In the PNAS paper, they describe something Darwin could only have dreamed of watching: the birth of a new species.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1270 on: November 18, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

Those sketches were proven to be fraudulent, however the modern theory is based off of photomicrographs, which confirm the predictions.

Vestigial appendages appear in adult organisms too.  Snakes have small knobs on their underbelly which turn out are actually tiny, useless legs.  Same thing with whales, many have useless pelvis bones that are not connected to the spinal chord, but instead exist uselessly disconnected in their abdomen.  A remnant of a time where their ancestors had legs.

Also, you have no evidence at all that a "Divine Creator used a common biological structure and basis for creating".  God of the gaps argument is not science.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #1271 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
Hey wow, I can use wikipedia too!

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1272 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »

ShnitzelKiller

• Everything not in front of your eyes doesn't exist
« Reply #1273 on: November 19, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
Evolution didn't happen, of course. A magic man in the sky that we can't see created us with magic in six days.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1274 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »
Evolution didn't happen, of course. A magic man in the sky that we can't see created us with magic in six days.
Finally some sense
Stop all this nonesense and bring on the lapdancers.
I understand Jack1704. It's a Brit thing.

?

EireEngineer

• Woo Nemesis
« Reply #1275 on: November 20, 2009, 10:55:41 AM »
And then on the eighth day he made the transistor, lol.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1276 on: November 20, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »
And then on the eighth day he made the transistor, lol.
I like Frankie Boyles version.

'and on the 8th God made a talking leopard and forgot all about us'

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #1277 on: November 20, 2009, 11:27:27 AM »

WOW, you are the first person to try to parody that stance in this thread. In fact you are probably the funniest person in this thread.

Someone sticky this.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1278 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
Ive stopped posting in this thread.  My last two posts have been deleted.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1279 on: November 20, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
Ive stopped posting in this thread.  My last two posts have been deleted.
But you just have!!!

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1280 on: November 20, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
Just wait...it will disappear too.  I think there is a conspiracy to eliminate me all together.  Its like I don't exist!!

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #1281 on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
Your last two posts are still there.  If anything they were deleted because of strait copy paste from another page without any citation.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1282 on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Just wait...it will disappear too.  I think there is a conspiracy to eliminate me all together.  Its like I don't exist!!
Your like the McFly's in BTTF

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #1283 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:28 PM »

Doesn't Marty end up having sex with his mother? What are you implying?
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #1284 on: November 20, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
NOT all dinosaurs that did have feathers were actually feathers.  There is also fossilized evidence of dinosaur birds that were supposedly feathered that were not.

If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Jack1704

• Official Member
  • Francine?!?!?
« Reply #1285 on: November 20, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »

I must have missed that bit!!!!

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #1286 on: November 20, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »

I must have missed that bit!!!!

I'm pretty sure it happened.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #1287 on: November 20, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
I have also stopped posting in this thread. Largely due to the embarrassment I feel in being proved wrong in my belief that evolution did happen. If only I had paid attention to the overwhelming evidence instead of assuming it was just pathetic copypasta. Evolution didn't happen and I am sorry for all the people I may have offended.

Oprah
God
The Jonas Brothers
Angela Landsbury
Jesus
Fred Phelps
All the Blue Peter presenters
Ben 10

I am so sorry. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #1288 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »
I'll never understand why people think evolution is at odds with a god.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1289 on: November 20, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »
I'll never understand why people think evolution is at odds with a god.

You forgot the capital "G" and you are also absolutely right.  It may not be.  Maybe.