Problems with Distances on the FE model Definite proof of RE

• 18 Replies
The lines of longitude are imaginary lines that, in the RE model extend from the north pole of the earth to the south pole.  The largest distance between two adjacent lines directly along a line of latitude occurs at the equator and the distance between them decreases as one travels closer to either pole.

The following is a picture showing the phenomenom

In the FE model longitudal lines extend from the center of the earth (North Pole) towards the outer edge of the disc.  In this model the distance between two adjacent lines along a line of latitude would not be greatest at the equator but at the edge of the disc.  

A picture (thanks to EnCrypto

The problem with the FE model is that it would take a much longer time to travel between say the southern tips of africa and south america than to travel between the northern tips of the two.  Obviously even in a RE model the times wont be the same.. in fact in a RE model the time to travel between the southern tips would be less than the time to travel between the northern tips.  I personnaly can't see any way to refute this logic..and no you can't use the "have you ever travelled between africa and S. America, because even though I haven't, other people have.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
You answered your own question in the first sentence.

The lines of longitude are imaginary lines
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »
imaginary lines are used for reference, distance is a finite concept, which even the FE people cannot refute
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 11:44:14 AM »
The lines themselves are imaginary, which only means that there isn't a group of giant white lines streaking across the earth.

The concepts defined by the lines are not imaginary.

Similiar concept to money.  Why should a piece of paper dictate whether I can buy a can of soup or not?  Its the concept that the money represents that means I can buy things.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:46:08 AM »
Quote from: "Sepulchre"
The lines themselves are imaginary, which only means that there isn't a group of giant white lines streaking across the earth.

The concepts defined by the lines are not imaginary.

Similiar concept to money.  Why should a piece of paper dictate whether I can buy a can of soup or not?  Its the concept that the money represents that means I can buy things.

Yeah. And paper money, just like longditude, is an empty representation of a non-real thing which has no material value.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 12:07:22 PM »
Ok,  I'll restate my arguement in a different wording

Looking at an example

Two people travel south from the north pole, one through europe and one through north america. Eventually they will reach the southern ends of africa and S. America.  In a FE model the distance between them will be greater than any previous point in their journey.  

The actual reality, which has been tested by various groups (airlines, scientist..etc.) is that the farthest distance between them would have occured when they were at the equator.  The RE model has an explanation for this, the FE model doesn't.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »

The actual reality, which has been tested by various groups (airlines, scientist..etc.) is that the farthest distance between them would have occured when they were at the equator.  The RE model has an explanation for this, the FE model doesn't.

Besides the stock government conspiracy argument, which is exactly what I intend to rebut you with now.

The scientists of the establishment (and the airline operators of the establishment) are all well aware that the Earth is a huge disc. The government uses coercive means, either bribery or the threat of force, to make them falsify the results of such tests.

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »
So in effect the rough shape of the atlantic ocean is really a trapezoid?

really?    so every shipping company, airline and  recreational sailor who has ever sailed across the atlantic  has been coerced or fooled by the government?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 12:31:12 PM »
So in effect the rough shape of the atlantic ocean is really a trapezoid?

really?    so every shipping company, airline and  recreational sailor who has ever sailed across the atlantic  has been coerced or fooled by the government?

That's right, yeah.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 12:42:43 PM »
Noone, not even the supposed conspiracy driven governemt could have enough resources to do that..

(yes the arguement doesn't have any strong points to it..  its just my personal thoughts and common sense.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 02:10:53 PM »
Have you ever travelled between south america and africa?

Here's the thing: you're making assumptions about what would be true if the earth were round, and using these assumptions as evidence that the earth is round.

Yes, we can all agree that, if the earth were round, the distances between two lines of longitude would become smaller as you move closer to the poles.

We can also agree that, if the earth were flat, the distances between the lines of longitude would increase as you moved further south, or rimward.

We have two perfectly legitimate and 100% correct statements, and all we need to do now is find out which one is the case in "real life". Until you have proof of the former or I have proof of the latter - neither of which is likely to happen - this discussion is going nowhere.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 04:19:20 PM »
Quote from: "Dogplatter"
You answered your own question in the first sentence.

The lines of longitude are imaginary lines

Bet you didn't read past that sentence either. :)
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
Here's the thing: you're making assumptions about what would be true if the earth were round, and using these assumptions as evidence that the earth is round.

That's exactly what you do, haha.

Have you ever gone up in the air? Well, go high enough, and you can see with your own eyes that the Earth is round. Go into space, and you will have no doubt about it. *thumbs up*
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 04:29:55 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"

Have you ever gone up in the air? Well, go high enough, and you can see with your own eyes that the Earth is round. Go into space, and you will have no doubt about it. *thumbs up*

I've been in planes many a time and it looked flat to me.

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 04:45:48 PM »

I've been in planes many a time and it looked flat to me.

Got too impressed by agricultural fields to turn your head up and look towards the horizon?  :lol:

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 04:51:35 PM »

Got too impressed by agricultural fields to turn your head up and look towards the horizon?  :lol:

No, I looked at the horizon on numerous occasions and it was flat.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »

No, I looked at the horizon on numerous occasions and it was flat.

Ok, Don Quijote.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »

Yes, that is exactly what I do. I'm glad you agree that your argument is no more valid than my own.

Have you ever gone up in the air? Well, go high enough, and you can see with your own eyes that the Earth is round.

No, I would see with my own eyes that there is an apparent curvature of the horizon, which you assume is the result of some curvature of the earth. I think the curved horizon is a result of a static radius of visibility in "clear" conditions, an explanation which works quite well with my personal observations.

Go into space, and you will have no doubt about it. *thumbs up*

I would love to go to space, it would prove once and for all the earth is flat.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 06:07:47 PM »

Yes, that is exactly what I do. I'm glad you agree that your argument is no more valid than my own.

What? :) I never agreed on anything.
Your making senseless assumptions with  which you can gain nothing.
You're basing your belief on a theory of which none of us has seen any proof? Where is the proof? RE has proof - What about you? :)

Stop being pathetic, if you're really serious. I find your gathered ignorance rather interesting.
[/quote]

Have you ever gone up in the air? Well, go high enough, and you can see with your own eyes that the Earth is round.

No, I would see with my own eyes that there is an apparent curvature of the horizon, which you assume is the result of some curvature of the earth. I think the curved horizon is a result of a static radius of visibility in "clear" conditions, an explanation which works quite well with my personal observations.

Obviously, you think too much nonsense.
I actually think the sky is purple. But it's not, since there is scientifical evidence that it is blue - as there is scientific evidence that the Earth is round. There is evidence that the earth is round - there is NO evidence that the Earth is flat.

Go into space, and you will have no doubt about it. *thumbs up*

I would love to go to space, it would prove once and for all the earth is flat.

It would also prove that you are insane, my friend. :(