tachyons

• 67 Replies
Re: tachyons
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
But it has nothing to do with the cause of this phenomenon. Read the bloody article. I can find more sources if you need me to
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
But it has nothing to do with the cause of this phenomenon. Read the bloody article. I can find more sources if you need me to

How do you know it doesn't? A tachyon is like the higgs boson, we don't even know if it really exists right now, it's all hypothetical. I provided a very likely method on why it is able to travel at FTL speeds and be negative mass.

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »

How do you know it doesn't? A tachyon is like the higgs boson, we don't even know if it really exists right now, it's all hypothetical. I provided a very likely method on why it is able to travel at FTL speeds and be negative mass.
I was talking about how stuff appears to slows down as it approaches the event horizon.

If I understand what your saying is that if you went near a tachyon you would travel faster through time unlike when you are near a gravity well where time slows down for you.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

I was talking about how stuff appears to slows down as it approaches the event horizon.

If I understand what your saying is that if you went near a tachyon you would travel faster through time unlike when you are near a gravity well where time slows down for you.

Close. I was more referring strictly to the mechanics of how just the tachyon might move through space-time at FTL speeds.

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
Yeah that slow down of time is not why stuff appears to slow down to almost a dead stop when it comes close to an event horizon.

?

REman

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »
Just because it was in star trek does not mean that it is an idiotic theory. >:(

Is it a theory? Or just something someone made up?

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
it is mathematically possible

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2009, 04:47:30 PM »
Hmmm. There are Tachyonic fields in quantum field theory. Occasionally they are mentioned in special relativity as a particle constrained to the region v>c on a plot of gamma against v. Although in practise there are obviously problems in such a particle existing, for example it cannot carry information or causality would be violated. Such a particle would have an imaginary mass also. I believe they come up in string theory but I've only ever really seen them in relation to spontaneous symmetry breaking. Here they exist only at unstable points and no real (importantly observable) particle can be associated to the field. Its pretty hard stuff I've never totally got to grips with it.