Stellar aberration

• 23 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Stellar aberration
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:11:43 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the phenomenon of stellar aberration?  It was discovered by James Bradley in 1725 when he was looking for stellar parallax and is said to be conclusive proof that the earth orbits the sun.

http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/aberration.html
http://www.newtonphysics.on.ca/aberration/index.html

*oops, moved from Information Repository*
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Ravenwood240

• I disagree. What was the Question?
Re: Stellar aberration
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:23:57 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the phenomenon of stellar aberration?  It was discovered by James Bradley in 1725 when he was looking for stellar parallax and is said to be conclusive proof that the earth orbits the sun.

http://henry.pha.jhu.edu/aberration.html
http://www.newtonphysics.on.ca/aberration/index.html

*oops, moved from Information Repository*

The second link is giving me a headache to read.  I'll finish it tomorrow, but right now I am curious as to why the effects cannot be consistently predicted.

" The exact position where a star appears in the sky does not only depends on the coordinates of the source observed, but also on the observer's relative velocity. The observer velocity is responsible for a phenomenon called "Bradley aberration" or "Stellar aberration". Stellar aberration is a well known phenomenon among astronomers. It was discovered by the astronomer James Bradley [1] in 1727. It is claimed to be caused by the relative transverse motion between the earth and the star emitting the photons.
        Some authors [2-5] have shown that this prediction is not fully compatible with observations. There is no available explanation for the fact that, while the observational data on stellar aberration are compatible with a moving earth, the symmetric description, when the star (and not the observer) possesses the relative transverse motion, does not apparently lead to observations compatible with predictions."

(From the second link in the OP.)

If the supposed motion of the planet and the range to sun remain the same and the speed of light is correct, you should be able to correctly predict all the measurements.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

(Paraphased from R.A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love.")

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
That second link may not have been the best example.  This one should be a little easier read:
http://cseligman.com/text/history/bradley.htm

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
It's proof that the stars move, not the earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
It's proof that the stars move, not the earth.

Nope. 
Quote from: http://www.globalserve.net/~bumblebee/geocentrism/aberration.html
If you watch the stars (using the necessary equipment) over the course of a year, you'll note that they move about in little ellipses.  The paths of the stars over the poles (or more precisely, above the plane of the Earth's orbit) will be almost circular, while the paths of those near the equator will be flat.  This effect is called stellar aberration.  Unlike parallax, this affects all stars equally, no matter what their distance.

Here's the effect you see over the course of a year, highly exaggerated (that big yellow circle with the ring around it represents the Solar System, whether it be Heliocentric or Geocentric)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:42:32 PM »
Nope.

If the stars shift slightly in patterns over the year and expand and contract in their radius much like the sun, how does it follow that the earth is moving at all? That's not what's observed. No one observed the movement of the earth. The only thing observed and experienced is the movement of the stars.

Instead of making assumptions and forcing your model to fit the facts, how about opening your eyes to the direct and observable.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:51:55 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Nope.

If the stars shift slightly in patterns over the year and expand and contract in their radius much like the sun, how does it follow that the earth is moving at all? That's not what's observed. No one observed the movement of the earth. The only thing observed and experienced is the movement of the stars.

Instead of making assumptions and forcing your model to fit the facts, how about opening your eyes to the direct and observable.

*sigh*  Tom, did you actually read the links that I supplied, or is that not your job?
Quote from: http://cseligman.com/text/history/bradley.htm

How Bradley's observations differed from the expected effects of parallax. As shown on the left, as the Earth moves to one side of its orbit, g Draconis should move to the opposite side of its parallactic ellipse (the path the star seems to follow during the year, as a result of our motion around the Sun). Thus, when the Earth is at points A, B and C, the star should appear to be at points a, b and c. Instead, as shown on the right, as the Earth moves from one point to the next, the apparent positions are shifted in the direction of the Earth's motion, which is a quarter circle ahead of the expected parallactic shift. In addition (although not demonstrated here), the amount of the parallactic shift depends upon the star's distance, being larger for closer stars, and smaller for more distant stars; whereas stellar aberration is the same for every star in a given region, regardless of its distance. (Parallax produces an elliptical motion, circular at the Ecliptic poles, and linear at the Ecliptic plane, whose semi-major axis equals the reciprocal of each star's distance in parsecs, which is of course different for different stars. Stellar aberration produces an elliptical motion, circular at the Ecliptic poles, and linear at the Ecliptic plane, whose semi-major axis equals a constant, regardless of the distance or angular position of the star, equal to one radian multiplied by the ratio of the Earth's orbital velocity, to the speed of light. Said statements to be explained in further revisions of this page.)

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »

*sigh*  Tom, did you actually read the links that I supplied, or is that not your job?

Tom's job is to ignore the facts and replace them with what Rowbotham wrote.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:18 PM »

Tom's job is to ignore the facts and replace them with what Rowbotham wrote.

Thing is, stellar aberration was discovered in 1725.  Long before Rowbotham and, to the best of my knowledge, not refuted by any FE'er to date.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »

Yep. It said that the observers saw the stars move. Not the earth.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

Yep. It said that the observers saw the stars move. Not the earth.

So, how does FET explain the observed aberrant movement of the stars at different angles to the celestial plane?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »
So, how does FET explain the observed aberrant movement of the stars at different angles to the celestial plane?

The stars expand and contract in their radius over the year, just like the sun.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:45:06 PM »

The stars expand and contract in their radius over the year, just like the sun.

Why would they do that? ???

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »

They do it because that's what we observe them to do.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »

They do it because that's what we observe them to do.

That is the what they do, not the why they do it.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

It doesn't matter "how" or "why". All that matters is that's what it does.

The astronomer can only observe and interpret.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »

It doesn't matter "how" or "why". All that matters is that's what it does.

The astronomer can only observe and interpret.

In other words, you don't have an answer.  Just like I thought.  Would any other FE'er like to take a crack at explaining this phenomenon?

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
The earth is rocking (causing tides). This rocking motion puts an observatory at different distances from the celestial bodies, in a consistent reliable pattern. 
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 08:45:13 PM »
The earth is rocking (causing tides). This rocking motion puts an observatory at different distances from the celestial bodies, in a consistent reliable pattern. 

If the earth was rocking, wouldn't all the tides be moving in the same direction?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »

Nope.  It's not so much that the path of the stars are in ellipses, but that the star's position within that ellipse is not where it should be.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
Nope.  It's not so much that the path of the stars are in ellipses, but that the star's position within that ellipse is not where it should be.

Actually, the stars are expanding and contracting in their radius Northward and Southward like I mentioned on page one. That's what creates the ellipses. The stars near the equator move less than the stars near the hub, that's why there's a difference near the edge of the celestial system.

The underlying mechanism to this movement is presently unknown. No hypothesis can be tolerated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:02:47 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »

Actually, the stars are expanding and contracting in their radius like I mentioned on page one. That's what creates the ellipses. The stars near the equator move less than the stars near the hub, that's why there's a difference near the edge of the celestial system.

The underlying mechanism to this movement is presently unknown.

Tom, you are still confusing stellar aberration with stellar parallax.  They are not the same phenomenon.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »

Tom, you are still confusing stellar aberration with stellar parallax.  They are not the same phenomenon.

I thought Tom was supposed to be intelligent?

If he can't even understand what is being told to him how can we expect him to even have the capacity to debate?

Jeez Tom, stop being such a fool.

?

zork

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:54 AM »
If he can't even understand what is being told to him how can we expect him to even have the capacity to debate?
It's one more evidence to theory that Tom really is a script.
Rowbotham had bad eyesight
-
http://thulescientific.com/Lynch%20Curvature%202008.pdf - Visually discerning the curvature of the Earth
http://thulescientific.com/TurbulentShipWakes_Lynch_AO_2005.pdf - Turbulent ship wakes:further evidence that the Earth is round.