DIY Experement: The Distance Between the Earth and the Moon

• 184 Replies
?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
Re: DIY Experement: The Distance Between the Earth and the Moon
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
If by logic you mean listening to NASA's tripe, then no he wont read it.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 01:32:07 PM »
He won't read anything, if it doesn't support him, then he'll claim it is NASA conspiracy - kinda sad really.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »
No I won't read information about the earth published by NASA. That's like getting everything you know about Jews from Hitlers Mein kampf .
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
No I won't read information about the earth published by NASA. That's like getting everything you know about Jews from Hitlers Mein kampf .
Or indeed like getting everything you need to know about the earth from the Flat Earth Society.

PS. perhaps you should read Mein Kampf, you clearly have no knowledge of its contents.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
Or indeed like getting everything you need to know about the earth from the Flat Earth Society.

PS. perhaps you should read Mein Kampf, you clearly have no knowledge of its contents.
I get information about this flat earth through scientific trial and error. Not whats published, though most of it is accurate.

?

reyo

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »

I get information about this flat earth through scientific trial and error. Not whats published, though most of it is accurate.

I don't suppose you have proof of your scientific experiments?  No?  Thought not.

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »
Then please - cite your source, so that I may also be party to this scientific revelation. I would love to see evidence that shows that the earth is flat.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
Look out you're window already!

And BTW Mien Kampf has lots of anti-Jewish propaganda.

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
Look out you're window already!
OK done that - it is dark, but quite a clear night. The neighbours across the street are having a party. What does this prove?

And BTW Mien Kampf has lots of anti-Jewish propaganda.
Well der! It's written by Hitler, so I suspect that there are amoeba on Saturn who could have guessed that. I was hoping that you'd know a little more than that.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
Note the shape of the horizon.

There are no organism on Saturn. Although I have not read the book I have read a summary of it, and therefor am pretty familiar with it's contents.

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
Very curved - again, this proves what (perhaps you should first have asked if I could see a large hill from my window).

There are no organism on Saturn.
Even though my comment was flippant, I can't resist this - And you know that there are no organisms on Saturn how?

Although I have not read the book I have read a summary of it, and therefor am pretty familiar with it's contents.
So you are happy to rely on someone elses opinion with regard to Hitler, but not the globe - interesting!

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
Very curved - again, this proves what (perhaps you should first have asked if I could see a large hill from my window).

There are no organism on Saturn.
Even though my comment was flippant, I can't resist this - And you know that there are no organisms on Saturn how?

Although I have not read the book I have read a summary of it, and therefor am pretty familiar with it's contents.
So you are happy to rely on someone elses opinion with regard to Hitler, but not the globe - interesting!

1. Look out at the ocean so you don't get local data.

2. An entity as small as Saturn could never support life.

3.Well The summary I read was not biased in the least, and had no personal interpretation of the text.

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
1. Look out at the ocean so you don't get local data.
I have a problem, I can't see the ocean, being that it is over 100 miles away!

2. An entity as small as Saturn could never support life.
And you know the size and conditions incumbent on Saturn how?

3.Well The summary I read was not biased in the least, and had no personal interpretation of the text.
And you know it was not biased how? You cannot know that there was no personal interpretation since you have already stated you have not read the book, thus your entire knowledge comes from someone else.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
1. Okay then, you have no personal experience or data, just blind faith. Thanks for finally admitting that.

2. measurements.

3. Wikipedia and my high school history text book tend to be very balanced.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
1. Okay then, you have no personal experience or data, just blind faith. Thanks for finally admitting that.
I have plenty of personal experience, how does the fact that I am a long way away from the coast equate to I have never seen the sea? You asked a specific question to which I gave you a specific answer. You asked me what I could see out of my window - I told you, you have yet to show me how this relates to a flat earth.

2. measurements.
And these measurements were taken by whom?

3. Wikipedia and my high school history text book tend to be very balanced.
So once again we return to the fact that you are happy to rely on someone elses opinion with regard to Hitler, but not the globe.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:26:45 PM by Hammod »

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
I don't rely on someones opinion when my personal experience contradicts their opinion.

svenanders

• I'm always right. If you disagree, you're wrong.
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »

What kind of scientific trial and error have you been conducting. Care to show some data from your experiments?

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
I don't rely on someones opinion when my personal experience contradicts their opinion.
But in my example, you have no personal experience of Mein Kampf - you have not read it, you said so, and you did not live in Nazi Germany.
So if I could summarise, it seems you are happy to believe what you have been told, provided you can cherry pick the bits that appeal to you?

Interesting that you dropped the other two points, had you spotted that you were painting yourself into a corner - handy tip, don't play chess with me!
I grew weary of arguing with you about them, since you clearly have your opinion set in stone.

Exactly my personal experience does not contradict the author of the summaries opinion. however my personal experience about the earths shape vastly contradicts what is being taught.

svenanders

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »
But in my example, you have no personal experience of Mein Kampf - you have not read it, you said so, and you did not live in Nazi Germany.
So if I could summarise, it seems you are happy to believe what you have been told, provided you can cherry pick the bits that appeal to you?

Interesting that you dropped the other two points, had you spotted that you were painting yourself into a corner - handy tip, don't play chess with me!
I grew weary of arguing with you about them, since you clearly have your opinion set in stone.

Exactly my personal experience does not contradict the author of the summaries opinion. however my personal experience about the earths shape vastly contradicts what is being taught.

These personal experience about the earths shape you're talking about, care to share a few?

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 03:00:58 PM »
I have stated it several times already in many of these boards.

svenanders

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 03:06:56 PM »
I have stated it several times already in many of these boards.

Where?

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
The spots where I stated that the horizon is flat.

svenanders

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 03:13:11 PM »
The spots where I stated that the horizon is flat.

Are you talking about the "Look-out-of-your-window" experience?

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
No I told them to look at the horizon over the ocean.

Note the flatness.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 04:14:16 PM »
I put a ruler up to my screen, and if you have a flat screen like I do, you can see the spot under the sun poke up above the ruler's line.  Don't believe me? (I doubt you do)  Grab a ruler and try yourself.  Have fun experimenting!   No seriously, try yourself.

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 05:38:02 PM »

*big photo*

Note the flatness.

What would you expect the photo to show if the world was a sphere 12,000 km wide? What would you expect it to show if it was a cube with edges 20,000 km long? What about if it was a dodecahedron 40,000km across, or a giant tulip 40 trillion lightyears across?

A person does not take a tape measure marked in meters, measure a bunch of objects less than 50 cm big, and then declare all the objects have no size as their ruler only allows them to determine the size of said objects to the nearest meter.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »

*big photo*

Note the flatness.

What would you expect the photo to show if the world was a sphere 12,000 km wide? What would you expect it to show if it was a cube with edges 20,000 km long? What about if it was a dodecahedron 40,000km across, or a giant tulip 40 trillion lightyears across?

A person does not take a tape measure marked in meters, measure a bunch of objects less than 50 cm big, and then declare all the objects have no size as their ruler only allows them to determine the size of said objects to the nearest meter.

The outside shape of the earth is dependent on how the Ice Wall freezes. It's not going to be a perfect geometric circle. It will probably look similar to the coastline.
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

hi

• Love the debate, hate the stupidity!
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 10:26:18 PM »

*big photo*

Note the flatness.

The outside shape of the earth is dependent on how the Ice Wall freezes. It's not going to be a perfect geometric circle. It will probably look similar to the coastline.
Wow... You guys are sinking low to come up with an explanation such as that...

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »
What is so unreasonable about what I said?
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:39 AM »
What is so unreasonable about what I said?

I'm not sure what it had to do with what I said, to be honest. All I'm saying is that if you use equipment that's not going to be sensitive enough to detect curvature, you're not going to detect any curvature regardless of whether it's there or not. The photo does not enable us to determine between a FE model or a RE model, so trying to draw either conclusion from it is pointless.