Why?

• 21 Replies
Why?
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »
I understand people and tehir arguments for a flat earth; I understand that this theory is built off both the questionability of some theories, and the inability to disprove others. In addition, everywhere there seems to be agreement that NASA and Google and anyone else who claims to have seen and/or taken photos of a round earth is clearly part of some conspiracy theory.

I understand there was one person who once went looking for the apparent ice wall, died on the expedition; and the camera was found years later along with a note stating that she saw the wall, got photographic proof, yet the film was destroyed due to exposure to the arctic/antarctic temperatures.

I understand that relying on the theory that everything that says the earth is round is a lie, and everything that says the earth is flat is true; there is a plausibility.

My question however, is not on any evidence or theories or hunches; it is on the shared argument that NASA, Google etc. are allegedly hiding the fact that the earth is flat. I question, Why? What cause or use is it? None have perished from the earth being round or flat, it has no impact on day to day life, it does nothing for anyone; why is it that they are hiding it from us? To what cause and purpose?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:24:22 AM »
Money.

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »
They could make more if they disproved the theory that the Earth was round when they first found out.
They could make more by getting the government to give them money to research the cosmos, seeing as all our current theories are wrong, they need to research from scratch.
They could make money exploring what's under this flat Earth, seeing as even you armchair philosophers can't even create a theory for it.
They could make more writing books about life under the conspiracy.

Don't be so ridiculous Tom. And why is it you don't answer these threads, as there is still no rebuttal to the arguments. My only guess is that you can't think of one because you're wrong.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=26662.0
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=26661.0

Go fish.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:19:38 AM »
Money.
And how do they make money from that?
I hate myself for coming here

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
Money.

The FAQ has their reasons. Refer to my post for reasons the reasons are dumb

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »
He just told you to read the FAQ Kingman, are you going to take that?
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

?

Proleg

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
Money.
How long have you been here again?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Read Plato's Republic. It is in the nature of governments to control what people believe. Even it it is pointless, you can't tell everyone you've been lying. Governments are stubborn.
Think hard. Think Flat.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Governments get caught lying all the time.  What makes you believe that the conspiracy could keep such an obvious lie for so long?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Proleg

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
As has been long established, the conspiracy is sustained by the government but not orchestrated by it. Lurk moar.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
Governments get caught lying all the time.  What makes you believe that the conspiracy could keep such an obvious lie for so long?

If the shape of the earth were so obvious, why have you felt the need to spend countless posts here debating it?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:15:53 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »

If the shape of the earth were so obvious, why have you felt the need to spend countless posts here debating it?

So you are saying that it isn't obvious that the earth is flat?  ???

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »

If the shape of the earth were obvious there would be nothing to talk about.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:39:54 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »

If the shape of the earth were particularly obvious, why are you here debating?

I suppose for pretty much the same reason you're here debating.

*In before the ninja edit.  :P

?

Proleg

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree with Tom for once. I would say that the earth's flatness is obvious. It is because the establishment opposes this reality and has indoctrinated the majority of the earth's population in RET's falsities that there is reason for this debate.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »

I'm going to have to disagree with Tom for once. I would say that the earth's flatness is obvious. It is because the establishment opposes this reality and has indoctrinated the majority of the earth's population in RET's falsities that there is reason for this debate.
So you are saying that we can't see the flatness of the earth for the same reason that we can't see the fnords, right?

?

Proleg

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »

So you are saying that we can't see the flatness of the earth for the same reason that we can't see the fnords, right?
What is this nonsense you are spouting?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »

What is this nonsense you are spouting?
lrn2alt.discordia

?

Proleg

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
Kindly do not spam the debate boards.

Thank you.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 04:53:05 AM »

But Tom, you have argued against a RE on the basis that it appears flat and so this should be the default position. But now you are directly contradicting yourslef by saying that it is not obvious that it is flat.

So then, with this new information, on what basis do you presume that a FE is the default position?
Everyday household experimentation.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 04:09:02 PM »
But Tom, you have argued against a RE on the basis that it appears flat and so this should be the default position. But now you are directly contradicting yourslef by saying that it is not obvious that it is flat.

So then, with this new information, on what basis do you presume that a FE is the default position?

A flat earth is the default shape. But that doesn't discount other shapes. The earth could be inside out, for all we know.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/cc/index.htm

Rowbotham's convexity experiments discounts the RE model, but the results are actually applicable to other models and cosmologies such as the Cellular model.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:23:06 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 04:46:28 PM »

A flat earth is the default shape. But that doesn't discount other shapes. The earth could be inside out, for all we know.

We know a lot.