A distance question

• 19 Replies
A distance question
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »
From the FAQ:

Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator. They are located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. Each functions similar to a "spotlight," with the sun radiating "hot light" and the moon "cold light." As they are spotlights, they only give light out over a certain are which explains why some parts of the Earth are dark when others are light. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by optical illusions.

The stars are about as far as San Francisco is from Boston. (3100 miles)

How come I can see the Moon from Boston, but I can't even see New York?
Your mother.

Re: A distance question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
Becaue you cant see through air, duh
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:18 PM »
So, isn't there air between me and the moon?
Your mother.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »
I guess not because if you cant see new york because the you cant see through air then obviously there is no air above us
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
I guess not because if you cant see new york because the you cant see through air then obviously there is no air above us

Non sequitur.
Your mother.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
- There is significantly more air between New York and Boston than there is between New York and the top of the atmosphere.

- Intense illuminating bodies can shine through the thickness of the atmosphere like headlights in fog.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
There is significantly more air between New York and Boston than there is between New York and the top of the atmosphere. Not to mention that very bright bodies can shine through the thickness of the atmosphere like headlights in fog.

So, how much air is between me and the moon. And, New York is pretty bright.
Your mother.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
So, how much air is between me and the moon.

About 14.7 pounds per square inch worth.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:17:20 PM »

That would depend where the moon is. When the moon is near the horizon it's just a muddy orange, representing the length of atmosphere its light must shine through.

And, New York is pretty bright.

Is New York at a distance brighter than the surface of the moon?

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »
How much light does the moon emit

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

That would depend where the moon is. When the moon is near the horizon it's just a muddy orange, representing the length of atmosphere its light must shine through.
So, could you give a lower bound. For example, when it is exactly at the top of someone's head.

And, New York is pretty bright.

Is New York at a distance brighter than the surface of the moon?

I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain?
Your mother.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:34:59 PM »
John was b&. HaHa!
I hate myself for coming here

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
He has been asking for it for a while.  Creepy bastard.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »
There is significantly more air between New York and Boston than there is between New York and the top of the atmosphere. Not to mention that very bright bodies can shine through the thickness of the atmosphere like headlights in fog.

Keep in mind you can't see the moon in RET when the earth has cast a shadow on the moon (although this is not the mechanism to describe this phenomena accurately). How bright it is has a lot to do with it.
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:54 AM »

Keep in mind you can't see the moon in RET when the earth has cast a shadow on the moon (although this is not the mechanism to describe this phenomena accurately). How bright it is has a lot to do with it.

John was banned.
So why are you still answering him?
I hate myself for coming here

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 04:48:33 AM »

Actually, in RET even when the moon is in th4e shadow of the Earth you can still see it because there is scattering of light due to the atmosphere, it makes it a kind of reddish colour.

What I think you might be getting confused with is when in RET the sun is behind the Moon and we have what is called a "New Moon". In this case, it is not the shadow of the Earth that is preventing us from seeing the surface of the Moon, but the shadow of the Moon itself. We are in fact seeing the Night Side of the Moon.

However, even then we can still see it a bit because there is light reflecting off the surface of the Earth and this has enough brightness to very faintly illuminate the surface of the Moon. To see this Earth Shine you need a clear night and be away from city lights. A good telescope or set of binoculars is also a good help.
Everyday household experimentation.

?

grogberries

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
Okay, if New York was as bright as the moon, then New York would do that as well. But New York is not.
Think hard. Think Flat.

?

MessiahOfFire

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 03:37:53 AM »
- There is significantly more air between New York and Boston than there is between New York and the top of the atmosphere.

- Intense illuminating bodies can shine through the thickness of the atmosphere like headlights in fog.

Please give evidence of this claim....

Your claim is that there is MORE atmosphere from Boston to New York than there is to the Moon.

That is a claim

So please, Tom Bishop, give us proof and evidence of this claim.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:40:19 AM by MessiahOfFire »

?

MessiahOfFire

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:45 AM »
One more thing. I live in Australia, Canberra, and have seen the moon during daylight. It was about 4pm and the day was so nice! I looked into the sky and saw the moon! Why did I see the moon (in FE theory terms).

?

grogberries

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »
It is in the nature of the moon to be visible during daylight hours. This does not always happen but occurs on certain occasions.
Think hard. Think Flat.