Take That Mac Users

• 22 Replies
Take That Mac Users
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
Re: Take That Mac Users
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »
The great thing about Linux is that it will never be popular enough for malware.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
It's about time attention was redirected.  Oh well, I guess we have yet to see how big the virus/whatever situation with Macs gets over time.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
The great thing about Linux is that it will never be popular enough for malware.
There is a reason for that
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
Yup, there's so many versions that the sort of noobs who download malware are too scared.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

?

Proleg

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
Can't even get negative attention? I guess they figure Linux users are suffering enough as it is.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
It's about time attention was redirected.  Oh well, I guess we have yet to see how big the virus/whatever situation with Macs gets over time.

There are hundreds of viruses for macs. No one is dumb enough to release them yet. Most virii are for single attacks, not to spread all over.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
I wish all macs just stopped working one day. That would be nice.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »
There are hundreds of viruses for macs. No one is dumb enough to release them yet. Most virii are for single attacks, not to spread all over.

Why would releasing them be dumb?  What's the opportune time?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »

Why would releasing them be dumb?  What's the opportune time?
When they stand to benefit somehow. When they release a virus, the hole gets patched. If they just exploit the vulnerability one at a time, they can benefit much more.

?

Anteater7171

• I am the FAQ!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
I wish all macs just stopped working one day. That would be nice.

That will happen soon, due to the fact they are made of dog shit.
I don't remember anything. Well, I do, but it's really vague. Like I was on drugs the whole time.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »
Mac: 1
Windows: 140,000+ and growing...

That's what Mac users get for poorly pirating software. My copy of iWork '09 was clean.

Plus, it's so rediculously easy to remove, unlike most of the Windows malware out in the wild. At least Mac's don't get infected in 10 minutes of connecting to the Internet from being unpatched.  :-*

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »
Malware for downloading pirated software huh, serves 'em right.

Last I checked, Mac's market share was up around 14-15 percent.  They posted a profit of 1.14 billion, up from 904 million this time last year.  They shipped 2,611,000 computers, a 21 percent unit growth and 17 percent revenue growth.  As a company they have 25 billion in cash in the bank and zero debt.  Again, last I checked, their market share was up around 15 percent, making them the third largest computer manufacturer next to Dell and HP.  Point is, they aren't going away, so give up your hopes of that happening.  Oh and before you make all the statements about how all of this is because of the iPod, all the above information is based solely on the computer side of things except the cash in hand; that has a lot to do with the iPod and the iPhone.
The Earth is Round.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
Now if only they'd gain more attention before Jobs dies.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

They have a good man set to take his place if he can't continue on.  Have no worries.
The Earth is Round.

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »

They have a good man set to take his place if he can't continue on.  Have no worries.

You should have some worries look at what happened last time when jobs just tried to retire

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:50 AM »

He's a bigger asset then those sitting billions to that company.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
Jobs never retired. He was forced to resign from Apple by the board of directors, then he went and founded the UNIX based system, NeXT. Apple eventually bought NeXT, bringing Jobs back in as CEO of Apple. That's when Apple became truly successful.

Back to this trojan bit, again, it's the fault of the users for not realizing "Hey, I can just download this trial from Apple and enter a valid serial from SerialBox!".

In my eyes, everything is bound to be attacked sooner or later, but most of the security of the system comes from the user themselves, the system has the means to protect itself, but if the user has no idea how to do so, then you cannot say that it was the integrity of the system that was at fault.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
Jobs never retired. He was forced to resign from Apple by the board of directors, then he went and founded the UNIX based system, NeXT. Apple eventually bought NeXT, bringing Jobs back in as CEO of Apple. That's when Apple became truly successful.

Back to this trojan bit, again, it's the fault of the users for not realizing "Hey, I can just download this trial from Apple and enter a valid serial from SerialBox!".

In my eyes, everything is bound to be attacked sooner or later, but most of the security of the system comes from the user themselves, the system has the means to protect itself, but if the user has no idea how to do so, then you cannot say that it was the integrity of the system that was at fault.

I agree it was only a matter of time before Mac's began to be attacked.  Most Mac users are very aware of this though; and are proactive in keeping their systems secure.

It might also be good to note that Mac's don't use executable files the way PC's do.  They don't have file types that just automatically start to run when opened.  Notice the article states that software had to be installed for the malware to take over.  Unlike PC's that use the .exe file types that just automatically launch upon mounting, Mac's use .dmg and it must actually be installed on the unit by the administrator.

At least to my knowledge this is how it still works.  Vista may have taken care of this issue; and to my knowledge this feature hasn't changed on 10.5.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.
The Earth is Round.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »
I enjoy mac n cheese. who is with me?

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
I prefer Cheese and Macaroni

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »
I prefer Cheese and Macaroni
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »

I agree it was only a matter of time before Mac's began to be attacked.  Most Mac users are very aware of this though; and are proactive in keeping their systems secure.

It might also be good to note that Mac's don't use executable files the way PC's do.  They don't have file types that just automatically start to run when opened.  Notice the article states that software had to be installed for the malware to take over.  Unlike PC's that use the .exe file types that just automatically launch upon mounting, Mac's use .dmg and it must actually be installed on the unit by the administrator.

At least to my knowledge this is how it still works.  Vista may have taken care of this issue; and to my knowledge this feature hasn't changed on 10.5.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.

There is no way to auto run a shell script to do stuff when mounting disk images, which is why it will always be more safe to examine and even install possibly infected files. Pacifist is great for this because you can still install an infected package and skip the infected part entirely with it. I'm not sure you can do that with Windows because of the .exe ability to just autorun when it touches Windows.