NASA caught in their own lies!

• 18 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
NASA caught in their own lies!
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »

This is what NASA claims the sky would look like if the atmosphere could not scatter light.  Interesting.  Without an atmosphere they claim one could see stars.

Unfortunately Neil Armstrong and Mike Collins have both said they could not see stars while in space. 

Also, on their site they again claim this is impossible:
An artist's fanciful view of the Apollo 13 crew working on the lunar surface. Among other problems: (1) stars are not readily seen in the daylight lunar sky by either the human eye or a camera because of the brightness of the sunlight surface; (2) the streaks in the sky are highly implausible; (3) no Apollo Commander would have landed in a place with a rocky outcrop so short a distance downrange; and, (4) it would have been extremely difficult for an astronaut in a pressurized Apollo suit to climb up on a rock as shown here. Scan by Kipp Teague.

So which is it NASA?  Can you see stars without an atmosphere or not...

The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Re: NASA caught in their own lies!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »
You could see starts but camera could not, unless you used so long exposure that that surface of the moon becomes overexposed.

You can test this yourself. Try taking a picture of the stars during nighttime and remember the lenght of the exposure time you needed to use to make stars visible. Then take picture during daytime using the same exposure time and you'll see that the picture will be overexposed.

Edit. To see the stars you would need to look away any bright object such as surface of the moon and wear spacesuit helmet that does not have darkened glass.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:48:19 AM by jargo »

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »
But the astronauts themselves claimed they could not see stars.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

To see the stars you would need to look away any bright object such as surface of the moon and wear spacesuit helmet that does not have darkened glass.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:54:14 AM »

To see the stars you would need to look away any bright object such as surface of the moon and wear spacesuit helmet that does not have darkened glass.

They have also been quoted saying they could not see it from space, their space shuttle, etc.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »

They have also been quoted saying they could not see it from space, their space shuttle, etc.

They probably also have darkened windows. And besides you really can't easily see stars even through window of your own house if you have lights on inside.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »

On the sunny side, while you are in a space shuttle, the Earth is also reflecting light. That's why camera outside the ISS or outise the space shuttle do not "see" the stars". It is a matter of time exposure. Our lens eye is acting like a camera lens. The astronauts would need to be completely in the dark, even with lights turning off inside the ISS or the space shuttle. They would now get a beautiful view.

And did you see any videos of astronauts on the moon? The moon is so bright, it is impossible for a human eye to see dim stars while seeing the surface of the moon (as it is impossible to a camera short time exposure).
Quote from: Neil Armstrong
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
The astronauts on the moon would have seen stars if they were able to look the sky without getting the bright surface of the moon in sight.

No atmosphere = no diffusion of light.

NASA isn't lying at all. You are only misinformed.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »
The astronauts on the moon would have seen stars if they were able to look the sky without getting the bright surface of the moon in sight.

Well misinterpreting what is being said.  If the astronauts were on the dark side of the moon they could see stars.
The Earth is Round.

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:03:57 PM »

Well misinterpreting what is being said.  If the astronauts were on the dark side of the moon they could see stars.

I totally agree with you.

?

Proleg

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »

They probably also have darkened windows. And besides you really can't easily see stars even through window of your own house if you have lights on inside.
Be careful; the straws you're grasping at might sue you.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
If I go outside right now I cannot see any stars. I would be able to see the moon and maybe Mars but that is it so what is the point
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »
OP: Could we have some reference to where NASA said this? It seems to me to be an innacurate artists impression. Also, I don't see what this has to do with the RE/FE conspiracy, the atmosphere is pretty much the same in both model. It looks like someone at NASA made a mistake.

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »

I can see the stars perfectly, even with ambient light.  Why cant you?
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_evidence_for_Apollo_Moon_landings

Long-exposure photo taken from the surface of the Moon by Apollo 16 using a special ultraviolet camera. It shows the Earth with the correct background of stars.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »
OP: Could we have some reference to where NASA said this? It seems to me to be an innacurate artists impression. Also, I don't see what this has to do with the RE/FE conspiracy, the atmosphere is pretty much the same in both model. It looks like someone at NASA made a mistake.
I'll see if I can dig up the page again.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »

I can see the stars perfectly, even with ambient light.  Why cant you?

That really depends how close to the window you stand and you probably don't have  10 inch portholes as windows in you house.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:38:22 AM by jargo »

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
Out of interest, does the image take into account the fact that the Sun is several orders of magnitude brighter than the stars around it?

I'm sure that we could observe sunspots at the same time as 6th magnitude stars if we had eyes that are sensitive to so many levels of light simultaneously, but unfortunately most of us don't have eyes with that kind of ability.

?

RE4L

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 03:08:02 AM »
The surface of the moon acts just like any other big city night. There is too much light around absorbed by the cones of the eye, not enabling the rods of the eye to detect distant faint light which would be like stars. Just like in A big city with a lot of ambient light, you can hardly ever see stars. this is the same situation on the moon. Plus, when youre in space, the sun is always out, so its too bright either way to see the faint light of the stars. (unless you were in low earth orbit in the shadow side of the earth (night time)