God

• 263 Replies
Re: God
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:17 AM »
I am a devout christian, and I can say to you that there isn't any real evidense that he is real. But you have to believe and trust him and after awhile you know he is real.

Well thank goodness you weren't born to a family of Scientologists.  Or Buddhists, Hindus.... etc etc.
Luckily you were born in the exactly right place to sponge up the teachings of the one true God - born somewhere else you could strapping explosives to your chest right this moment.

Edit:  If that comes across as too hash, my point is if you leave your moral compass up to something as
capricious as an unquestionable belief, you are basically throwing the dice.  You can feel as smug as you like if you feel your beliefs happen to coincide with a faith that has decent morals, but whether someone ends up a Buddhist that wouldn't harm a fly or a radical Muslim that would happily strap a bomb to a child's chest, both of them feel just as smug and morally righteous as you do.
It doesn't matter, he was banned for some reason. And I feel sorry for you, have a good time in Hell
I hate myself for coming here

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »
I don't believe in God because all of the pain and suffering around the world that a 'just and merciful god' should prevent.  If there turns out to be a god I'll more then happily spend eternity in hell because your god has a lot of explaining to do.
You don't mean that. Hell is beyond your comprehension, so don't claim to gladly go there.

I'll gladly go to hell, if it exists. All the interesting people will be in there. Plus, Satan can't be that bad. I mean, what the hell, he used to be an angel. A being made of purity and goodness must have some sense of decency, or maybe he'll at least give us a day off the torment once every hundred thousand millennia or so.
Hitler, Ghengis Khan, Ed Gein, Charles Manson....

I can get Hitler and Charles Manson, but Genghis Khan? Seriously, even if he went to hell(which he did, on second thought, being the dirty unwashed heathen that he is), he was not a bad person per se. He united the tribes of mongolia and established an empire encompassing almost all of Asia, which demeaned the importance of ethnicity and instead established a system of meritocracy. Anyway, my point is that these men you describe, with the possible exception of Genghis, are what society in general describes as "evil" men. That's what I find so interesting about them. I am pretty sure that Hitler, to mention one, wasn't all that bad before his rise to political power. I want to know what causes a failed artist to turn into an anti-Semitic dictator waging a war on the world and killing millions of innocent people. I also want to meet Himmler, and ask him what the fuck he was smoking.

Genghis Khan enjoyed watching the families of people he killed weep in front of him, then he would kill them too.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »
I am a devout christian, and I can say to you that there isn't any real evidense that he is real. But you have to believe and trust him and after awhile you know he is real.

Well thank goodness you weren't born to a family of Scientologists.  Or Buddhists, Hindus.... etc etc.
Luckily you were born in the exactly right place to sponge up the teachings of the one true God - born somewhere else you could strapping explosives to your chest right this moment.

Edit:  If that comes across as too hash, my point is if you leave your moral compass up to something as
capricious as an unquestionable belief, you are basically throwing the dice.  You can feel as smug as you like if you feel your beliefs happen to coincide with a faith that has decent morals, but whether someone ends up a Buddhist that wouldn't harm a fly or a radical Muslim that would happily strap a bomb to a child's chest, both of them feel just as smug and morally righteous as you do.
It doesn't matter, he was banned for some reason. And I feel sorry for you, have a good time in Hell

Don't cry for me King Man, I'm perfectly willing to go to Hell if that's what my moral beliefs require of me.   :)

Out of curiosity, what gives you the impression I'm hell bound anyway?  It's not like I said anything that everybody doesn't already know....

Genghis Khan enjoyed watching the families of people he killed weep in front of him, then he would kill them too.

Yeah, he's probably going to hell.   You'd pretty much have to be part of the Spanish Inquisition to do that sort of thing and still get into heaven. 

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »

For someone who has no proof whatsoever you sure are on the ready to condemn people you have never met.  I think your jealous, evil god is a bad influence on you.
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »

For someone who has no proof whatsoever you sure are on the ready to condemn people you have never met.  I think your jealous, evil god is a bad influence on you.
You condemned yourself

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »

You condemned yourself

How can someone condemn themselves? 

We all just live our lives, it's the guy upstairs (should he exist) that does the actual condemning.  You can believe he'd condemn someone for being skeptical, raising logical questions, etc if you like but that's just your opinion. 

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 06:26:23 PM »
Fuck you, implied Pascal.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
Fuck you, implied Pascal.

The feeble-minded LOVE the Wager!  It's funny, the first time I heard of Pascal's Wager, a baptist minister was trying to use it to convert me from agnosticism!  I kind of looked at him incredulously and said, "You want me to pretend to believe to hedge my BETS?"

Silly flatworlders - I mean christians.
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me

?

Proleg

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

?

Proleg

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
Fail comic is fail
Meaningless opinion is meaningless.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Fail comic is fail
[/quote]

God wants everyone to be good people and go to heaven. God is all-powerful. God does not exist, or we have misinterpreted his intentions.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »
God wants everyone to be good people and go to heaven. God is all-powerful. God does not exist, or we have misinterpreted his intentions.

Or his capabilities.
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Dear Shredderbeam,
You wanted solid proof that God exists, right?
Well, I will not tell you read the scripture then you will get a feeling.
God gave us a brain, so we must use it. We cannot take faith by vague statements like they say in the church "just have faith" nor should we expect anyone to simply read the scripture and just get a feeling. You may know that every religion on earth has very strong feelings, but since many of them have a definition of god that is contrary to the others, then they cannot all be right ....

Some of them worship the devil as god ... some say God is impersonated with the head of an elephant, some say god is 3 in 1 ..... and believe you me, they ALL have very strong feelings in what they believe.
What all this means is that feelings can be misleading.
The only solid faith can only be a rational one. One that is arrived at through mental verification rather than whimsical feelings.

Nor should we adopt a faith through inheritance ...... just because our parents had a certain faith is no guarantee whatsoever that that faith is the truth.

When we use our brains we find that the proofs of the exitence of God are endless.
If you want some of the scientific proofs please see the following page,

http://www.quran-islam.org/80.html

good luck in your search,
Muhammad

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »

Strawman -- you misunderstand Christianity.
Quote from: Dead Kangaroo
Quote from: T.T. Monsieur
I felt it. Punish me some more, master!
I'm sorry, I just put the cheese grater into the dishwasher, can you wait?

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »
What exactly did I misunderstand about Christianity? 3 in 1 is not a phrase I made up. It is the core of the Trinity concept.
For your information, the word TRINITY is not found in the Bible, it was never taught by Jesus, and it was formulated 3 centures after Jesus at the council of Nicaea in 325 AD.

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
What exactly did I misunderstand about Christianity? 3 in 1 is not a phrase I made up. It is the core of the Trinity concept.
For your information, the word TRINITY is not found in the Bible, it was never taught by Jesus, and it was formulated 3 centures after Jesus at the council of Nicaea in 325 AD.
I don't know what trinity concept your refering to. Do you mean "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost"?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »

ehhhhh strawman? Who says any rules were changed? The entire new testament is not jesus changing rules, at most he just clarifies them.

I'm really sick of atheists trying to claim intellectual superiority, then using a logically flawed, and frankly idiotic comic to represent them.

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »
<<<<I don't know what trinity concept your refering to. Do you mean "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost"?>>>>>

Is there another religious concept called TRINITY? yes , the concept of the TRINITY, which was adopted in the council of Nicaea , 325 years AFTER Jesus (as I wrote in previous email) says that God is 3 in 1 .... the father, the son and the holy spirit .... all equal , substance from substance. Only people who studied the history of Christianity know these historical facts. This concept was never taught or advocated by Jesus, and the word TRINITY itself is NOT in the Bible.
Moreover, if you value the words uttered by Jesus you will see that they actually prove that this adopted concept is false.
Jesus said "my father is greater than I" (John 14:28)..... this is quite the opposite to the false claim of the trinity concept that all 3 are equal.

?

Bob28

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
I did not find a relevant topic in this section, so I decided to make a new one.

Does God exist?  If so, how do we know?
i believe he does exist, but we don't know for sure, thats where faith comes in.

?

Proleg

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
ehhhhh strawman? Who says any rules were changed? The entire new testament is not jesus changing rules, at most he just clarifies them.
Whenever we cite the Old Testament, Christians claim to only follow the New Testament etc... ::)

I'm really sick of atheists trying to claim intellectual superiority, then using a logically flawed, and frankly idiotic comic to represent them.
Give us something less logically flawed and frankly idiotic to work with then.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »
Whenever we cite the Old Testament, Christians claim to only follow the New Testament etc... ::)

? How is that confusing?

None of the rules changed, there are just different interpretations. Do I have to spoon feed you, or can you think for yourself like a big boy?

?

Proleg

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
? How is that confusing?

None of the rules changed, there are just different interpretations. Do I have to spoon feed you, or can you think for yourself like a big boy?
I'm afraid that I'm not that capable of doublethink. You're probably going to have to spoon-feed me your bullshit.

Jesus was sacrificed to save humanity from its sin. True or false?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
? How is that confusing?

I'm afraid that I'm not that capable of doublethink. You're probably going to have to spoon-feed me your bullshit.

Jesus was sacrificed to save humanity from its sin. True or false?

Jesus allowed himself to be sacrificed, because in order for your sins to be forgiven there has to be a sacrifice.

That rule still applies. Therefore believing in jesus is necessary for your sins to be forgiven, because if not, you do not have a sacrifice.

Please don't bring up some bull shit about the rules being changed. Finally, just because you argue with an idiot (read as: kingman) does not mean that is a fair representation of our religion.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »
Jesus allowed himself to be sacrificed, because in order for your sins to be forgiven there has to be a sacrifice.

How exactly was God Incarnate sacrificed?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »

With a cross and spear?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »

With a cross and spear?

A cross and spear can kill God?  Then how did Christianity even come into existence?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Bob28

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »

With a cross and spear?

A cross and spear can kill God?  Then how did Christianity even come into existence?
well he rose 3 days later, i think that had a lot to do with it

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »

I'm disappointed in you Roundy.  I thought fallacious statements were beneath you.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »

With a cross and spear?

No. Who said god died? They physical manifestation of god may have become temporarily non living.

And really since he brought himself back to life, no they couldn't.