Prove me wrong please

• 41 Replies
Prove me wrong please
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
that funny because whenever we explain science behind something its instantly either a "conspiracy" "illusion" or "myth."  but the fact of the matter is, you have never showed us RE'ers why a round earth cannot exist, you just simply assume it cannot, and that everyone is out to get you, and go on living your happy life, and dont even accepts "discussion" on the possibility of a round earth, and i always thought this was in interesting place, while i am secure in my viewpoint, i also find it fun for arguments sake

That's the thing; we are not out to disprove the round earth, but instead to show that the flat earth is equally plausable. I'm more than willing to accept it could go either way, which is why I need not disprove the round earth.

RE'ers are fundamentally different, however, in that they refuse to accept the possibility of a flat earth, and so feel obligated to argue that the round earth is the one and only possible truth. I'm not trying to disprove round earth, so I don't need to show why it's wrong; you, however, are trying to disprove FE, so you do need to provide specific examples of why it cannot work.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 08:01:32 PM »
Tell me, how do one explain how something cannot work?
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 08:25:09 PM »
In order to disprove something like the flat earth, you need to have a fairly in depth understanding of what exactly the FE model claims. Then, you find some observable phenomenon - the length of a shadow at a particular time of day, the angle of your dish while watching satellite tv, the bahvior of objects near the horizon - and explain why the FE explanation does not produce the results observed in "Real life".

Paradoxical's solstice experiment is a good example. He, understanding the basics of the FE model, calculated two things: the theoretical length of a shadow cast on the Summer Solstice if the earth were flat, and the theoretical length of a shadow cast on the Summer Solstice if the earth were round. He made no assertions about which set of values was correct, only what would be implied by certain measurements. He found these theoretical values through some basic trigonometry, and a methodology that, at first glance, did not seem to conflict with FE canon.

So this wednesday I'm going to go out, put a stick in the ground, and measure its shadow. If I get value A, then that will be a point for Flat Earth. If I get value B, then RE has the edge.

This is a good example of how you can operate within the bounds of FE theory to come up with some theoretical observation, and then illustrate that the observed phenomenon does not happen, at least not according to FE canon.

In short, you cannot disprove FE by proving RE is more plausable. If you wan't to disprove FE, you have to show it cannot work.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 08:27:43 PM »
Since anything I write, or anything media-related I post, will be regarded as part of the Great Conspiracy, there is nothing more to say, is there?
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 08:34:13 PM »
There is plenty for you to say, and the solstice experiment is a great example of that. A while back Erasmus proposed a joint effort by 3 or more people with adjustable satellite dishes that would prove the common signal originated in a point some thousands of miles in altitude, which would help disprove the "Radio tower" theory.

You can't use photographs that can be faked, second-hand information that can be falsified, hearsay that can be lies. There are plenty of things, however, left to be said.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
If you're dead set on believing in something, you'll believe anything that is necessary in doing so. Now, what is that called again? :)

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 08:42:31 PM »
Round earthism? :)

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"

Every sane person knows that Earth is round. :)
But of course, I wont keep you from having your own hobbies.
Im not much of a believer though.

Fact is: Symmetry is part of life, nature and every aspect of the universe. This, you will see, the deeper you plunge into the world of science. Earth is as round as your face have two eyes and two ears. ^^

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 09:10:03 PM »
But I only have one nose and mouth.

Also, how is a flat disc not symmetric?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Prove me wrong please
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 09:41:48 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"

Well, if that's what you need to believe, in order to believe the Earth is round...

I have to say I haven't heard arguments as tightly circular as yours before.  It's dizzying.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
Quote from: "Xargo"

But of course, I wont keep you from having your own hobbies.
Im not much of a believer though.

Fact is: Symmetry is part of life, nature and every aspect of the universe. This, you will see, the deeper you plunge into the world of science. Earth is as round as your face have two eyes and two ears. ^^

I try to be tact when making replies, but I'm going to have to go ahead and say it.

Bullshit.

I do not tolerate trying to be fed garbage, sir, and nor do I appreciate your opinionated elitism reguarding the truths behind "every aspect of the universe".  I'm sure many others don't either.  No one attacked your beliefs; why must you attack Unimportant's?  Is it really that painful for something so contrary to your pre-conditioned notions of truth to be somehow viable?  Many people first think of it as an attack but quickly find that its simply another way of thinking about things.  You, on the other hand, have tried to launch Mutually Assured Destruction on Unimportant even though he's shown that he does not want to participate in it.

(Note to the moderators:  I apologize for perhaps getting carried away, however the recent decline in post quality has started to annoy me especially those who cannot be bothered to use the search feature instead of trying to have everything done for them.  This is quite angry ranting and perhaps my post, Xargo's, and the relating posts can be moved to angry ranting.)

-Meph
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »
I dunno, this just seems like a pasisonate discussion, and frankly, the search feature is not as useful as you paint it out to be in most situations as a consensus is almost never reached, and if were gonna go on the last person to post being right, than i can go make a bot if yould like.  and Mephistopheles, i would personally say that you are one of the few people (myself included), that actually has etiquete, and does not deserves to be set in their place a little.
That being said, personal attacks are not right (unless were talking about UJB) and only the belief themselves, and related beliefs should be criticized, in a contstructive way
That also being said, stupidity and ignorance should be dealt with quickly and evenly
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli