Prove me wrong please

• 41 Replies
Prove me wrong please
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:02:32 PM »
I know this will eventually be moved to the angry section i would still like a response beforehand

It seems to me, that they have all these crazy theorys, with basically nothing to back them up, i can do the same

the world is in fact a dream, everyone who disagrees is part of a conspiracy set up by the nightmare people to keep us from knowing the truth, we dont know how they are doing it, we also dont know why, because they are gaining nothing... but i have proof, the bible is written about it, the armageddon is awakening, simple as that.  noone can disprove this theory, as if you are even going to start, i am going to say youre incorrect due to the fact that you have no proof this is not a dream, and anything you can think of is part of the conspiracy

^basically the exact same ideal behind the FE theory
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:11:10 PM »
If your point is that you can't disprove FE, then I agree.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »
im making the point that you cannot disprove anything if you are not allowed to use logic, example, or fact that can disprove it, by basic definition

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:22:18 PM »
The probelm is, nothing can be disproven on this forum.

If we raise a valid point including current knowledge, it is claimed to be a lie or conspiracy. If we raise other valid points, such as gravity, then there is another explaination created.

However, the same applies to the Round-Earth model. If we claim gravity exists, and all the laws that be do infact exist, they can say that the Earth has no gravity, but instead is accelerating upward.

In short, there is nothing that can be proven/disproven on this forum. We come here for the sake of intelligent argument *grins*

And it's damn fun, too.
Who really needs one of these things?

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »
i completly agree, which is why I'm saying that this whole ideal is flawed... especially since there are pictures of a round earth, both by government and civilian sources

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:54 PM »
I'm not sure what the other people who post here often believe, but by taking away the information we take for granted, a situation is setup where you must attempt to justify your belief without using, say, a photograph of the Earth.  You must then use your grasp on the sciences to put your belief in action rather than using information that is taken for granted.  And it is information taken for granted often times.

You both are exhibiting a phase many people go through on this site but few ever grow out of.  Your entire beliefs are questioned with what appears to be ridiculous notions.  You feel as though you're being attacked thusly and are prepared to counter attack with claims that turn out not to be the case.  It is natural for such a thing to happen.  We've all been conditioned to certain information as children and are taught to accept it early on without being told why.  Its often easier for the young people on here to accept it since they have not lived with such "undeniable truths" as long.

You will either grow out of it or remain so ill dispositioned towards these notions that you simply leave.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:45:22 AM »
The way it's being explained in your post, why believe anything you've ever been taught or read? Everyone has been conditioned to everything that stands as fact. Why shouldn't you question everything that has ever happened in the course of history? Why not question everything, and never be satisfied with any answer given? That's already happening here.
y the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe.

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
Prove me wrong please
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 07:58:19 AM »
Mephistopheles makes a good point. This site was proven to me the depressing fact that too many of my fellow REs have no idea how to illustrate the Earth is round but whole beliefs really are based on photos that could (in theory) be faked. The thing about the FE theory is that while its easily disproven and full of holes it is not as easily disproven and full of holes as it appears at first glance.You'lll probably have to do some research. Of course then you'll usually win.
An enraged
Cinlef
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 10:03:29 AM »
Quote from: "Welbourne"
The way it's being explained in your post, why believe anything you've ever been taught or read? Everyone has been conditioned to everything that stands as fact. Why shouldn't you question everything that has ever happened in the course of history? Why not question everything, and never be satisfied with any answer given? That's already happening here.

The way its explained in my post has no bearing on the rest of your message, sir.  Everything else you've said is already a given.  We will never be satisfied with knowledge.  We are more satisfied without knowledge because then we are not constricted in our thoughts by it.  You misunderstood the central idea behind my post which was the proposition that creative thought is easier and more satisfying when it is not constricted by certain information.  You create an environment where you use your ingenuity to solve problems instead of certain prior knowledge that you did not come up with.  For example, it is more satisfying to invent a working model for any function of RE or FE than simply showing a picture proving it one way or another.  It also helps us as humans learn more by thinking in such a way.  Think of using a satellite photo of the Earth as copyright infringement here :P  But even if you did get it yourself, its still not as good as proving it using our grasp on the sciences.

There are some on this site who actively believe in a Flat Earth while many others actively believe in a Round Earth.  There are still many things to prove on both models; no one could possibly say we know everything about our planet.

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »
This is the problem I see with this type of thinking. The not believing anything you are told but only what you observe. The greatest advancements in science have happened after results of tests were carefully documented AND recorded. Those records are passed from one scientist to another. The findings of one scientist are taken for granted by the next. Thereby continuing to build from where the previous one had left off. By the line of reasoning presented here each scientist must first start off on a quest to learn for himself whether or not the earth is round. Whether or not gravity is an issue and so forth. If tested theories and facts are not taken for granted to, at least, a certain degree there could be no advancement because each person would have to re-invent the wheel.
7.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
well it is true that empericism such as this may not be good for advancement but as was earlier stated it is very good to question everything since it brings upon one the task of taking a deeper look at everything
orry about the spelling i realize its awful but i cant spell for beans

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 12:09:11 PM »
In response to crimson kings first post. You are completely wrong about the dream world.  You see the year is actually close to 3065 and machines have taken over the world.  The world is black and the only way the machines move on is by incubating us for power. Luckily there is a resistance close to the center of the earth resisting it.  And any evidence you have to disprove that is a computer generated version of the world.  O ya and the world is flat.  )Please note that paragraph was written in sarcasm.

But here is for all of the flat earthers.

Q Why are flightplans arced?

Q Where does magnetism come from?

Q Where does the sun go when it goes over the horizon?

Q Where do you base your beliefs off of? The Bible? Greek Mythology?

Q And how do we sail to Asia by going west not east (If your in North   America)

Q Why hasnt anyone ever fallen off the edge?

Ive read these questions or ones like them before and i never see FEs reply to them with any factual evidence. Its usually "Its a conspiracy" or "Its an optical illusion". They might as well hold their ears and scream "nanananana" in my opinion.  With all do respect to the flat earthers. Im not trying to bash you, freedom of thought is a great thing, but c'mon you guys are ignorant.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 01:29:27 PM »
Its been answered before.  If you're so smart, then why do you ask something before looking it up?

There is a nifty search function on this forum and I suggest you use it; else you'll have a very rotten time on this forum.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 09:56:56 AM »
guess what chrimson king!

you cannot you logic, opinions, facts, or wikipedia!

its kinda sad that we cant prove or disprove anything.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 10:00:47 AM »
First of all Efimowho? learn to spell, thats just disgraceful

and dont forget, we cannot prove physics either!

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:28 AM »

They aren't.

Magnets.

It continues on its circular path above earth.

Personal experience and observation.

Q And how do we sail to Asia by going west not east (If your in North   America)

You go west, accross the pacific ocean, and arrive at asia without ever going within 5000 miles of the edge of the earth.

People probably have.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Prove me wrong please
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 10:11:17 AM »

Q And how do we sail to Asia by going west not east (If your in North America)

A: Flightplans are arced because since the earth is moving upwards at a constant rate, the actual "trajectory" of the plane has to go up too, or the plane would crash into the Earth (technically, the Earth would crash into the plane). When the plane wants to land, it starts going down again so it can reach the earth quickly.

A: Magnetism originates from the North Pole (center of the Earth), just like Round Earth Theory posits.

A: Read the FAQ. The sun is actually a tiny spotlight which moves around above the Earth. It doesn't shine everywhere at once.

A: I base my beliefs on personal experience, and also the fact that flat Earth theory just makes so much more sense.

A: We don't. Have you ever sailed to Asia?

A: The edge (surrounded by a giant ice wall) is heavily guarded by conspiracy grunts using advanced technology to stop us seeing the walls. I'd imagine people have fallen off the edge - the government doesn't care as long as they don't come back and show the truth!
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Prove me wrong please
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"

They aren't.

Minor point here, but they actually are. Check my answer for an explanation as to why.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:15:57 AM »
True; I was discounting the change in absolute position in the vertical direction. My statement was taking sea level as my relative base.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »

Q And how do we sail to Asia by going west not east (If your in North America)

A.So they can adjust to the curvature of the earth

A.The north and south poles create a magnetic field, something that can no exist in the FE theory, as there is no south pole (as stated in the FAQ).

A.It begins to go to the other side of the earth due to the curvature, it disappears.

A.Hundreds of years of intelectuals, and personal observation, of horizon and such things

A.because the earth is round and works like that, awesome, its simple geography

A.Because there is no edge, the earth is round

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
We can easily discard of the flat-earth theory by means of the excluding method. Every scientific proof we have today about the earth, SUPPOSEDLY, being round, has worked so far. Everything about a round planet is logical and makes perfect sense - the Flat Earth Theory does not: see the FAQ for incomplete answers and unanswered questions.

We can't prove that God exists either, nor can we prove that he does NOT exist. So why even bother? Science is always more reliable than rebellic mumbo-jumbo, so stick with it.

Point being:

Round Earth theory, has scientific backups and endless, solid proofs.
Flat Earth theory, has nothing but assumptions and imaginary explanations.

This being obvious, which theory would you rather stick to?
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
And the argument remains "It is round because it is." Stunning.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 05:54:18 PM »
i just find it funny that FE thoery is the one that keeps getting holes poked in it

while the only thing FE has against RE is, it isnt kuz we say so, its a conspiracy i tell you!

Xargo has shown, by various methods, why he is a RE'er, so he is not using that idiology

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
And the argument remains "It is round because it is." Stunning.

Wrong. This is the definition of your belief. Not mine.

Have you any proof supporting your theory? No?
We have plenty supporting ours.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 06:06:18 PM »
Sure I have proof. Every day I look around and the earth is flat. Even if I go to the highest building in town, or up in an airplane, it is still flat.

Everything I see and observe in my life on earth can be explained by the earth being flat, so why would I think it's not? You're asking me to believe something contrary to what I see with my own eyes every day, and your reasons for doing so are because your 2nd grade teacher told you so. I choose to believe in my own eyes and brain, not the fantasies of others.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 06:15:30 PM »
Sure I have proof. Every day I look around and the earth is flat. Even if I go to the highest building in town, or up in an airplane, it is still flat.

If you call that proof, you're as ignorant as a cow.

Everything I see and observe in my life on earth can be explained by the earth being flat, so why would I think it's not?

Sure, with fake arguments and made-up explanations, as good as everything can be explained in a non-scientifical way.

You're asking me to believe something contrary to what I see with my own eyes every day, and your reasons for doing so are because your 2nd grade teacher told you so. I choose to believe in my own eyes and brain, not the fantasies of others.

You see squat. You cannot embrace the whole Earth with your eyes, and if you say you can, you're just plain stupid. Do you even know what scientifically proved evidence IS? Do you think any (modern) scientist rely on  his senses, rather than experiments to evaluate his theory? Man, you have no arguments. And I have yet to find out why you're even trying to argue with any of us normal people (RE)!

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »
ok, this is gonna be distateful to some, but i can't help myself

that would be like me saying, i chose to believe i am the only one in the world with a penis.  I wake up every morning, say hello so I know its there.  i have never seen another man's, s how do i know they have them as far as i know, i have the only penis on the planet

now for a response that is actualy tasteful and good

I also know that in blueprints for largre buildings, as a friend of mine is an architect, they need to adjust for curvature.  Every time i go to Hawaii, with my friend's dad as the pilot, i know he has to adjust for curvature of the earth.  I know when i go to the beach, I can see the curvature in the horizon.  

as you so aptly put it

I choose to believe in my own eyes and brain, not the fantasies of others.

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »
Because it intrigues me that people - such as yourself - can so firmly believe something, and they don't even know why they believe it. Sure you can say "But there is scientific evidence! Like real honest to goodness SCIENCE, from SCIENTISTS!", but then you just leave it at that. My guess is you've never taken the time to explore whether or not these "scientific evidences" are valid by your own merit, and rather have just taken them for granted your whole life.

If there is an easy to do trigonometric experiment (like the one proposed by Paradoxical a few days ago regarding the Solstice), then make a new post describing it in detail, and why the observed results prove the earth is round. We can all go out and do the experiment like you said, and if we agree with your methodology, we can't help but accept it as evidence of a round earth.

If there is some manner of observable phenomenon you think can be explained only by a round earth, then make a post explaining the phenomenon in detail, explaining why it happens on a round earth, and why it couldn't happen on a flat earth.

This thread is a good example of what not to do; it asks a few superficial, easily answered questions, and then simply plugs its ears and sings "Oh when the saints go marching in," when FE explanations are given. You cannot choose to disregard FE explanations simply because they are FE, or there is no sense to discussion at all.

And that's what we are here for, and what you should be here for; discussion. If you were hoping to just come in and say "You guys are so dumb! I'm #1! Yeah rock on!", then I might suggest you start a dialogue with the nearest mirror or inanimate object. I think you'll find, however, this can be an interesting place if you would only open up your mind a touch.

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
that funny because whenever we explain science behind something its instantly either a "conspiracy" "illusion" or "myth."  but the fact of the matter is, you have never showed us RE'ers why a round earth cannot exist, you just simply assume it cannot, and that everyone is out to get you, and go on living your happy life, and dont even accepts "discussion" on the possibility of a round earth, and i always thought this was in interesting place, while i am secure in my viewpoint, i also find it fun for arguments sake

Advocatus Diaboli

Prove me wrong please
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 06:53:38 PM »
Unimportant, feel free to post any evidence that might prove me wrong on my newly added topic. Otherwise, keep shut and go read a science book instead of making this previously interesting discussion into an act of pie-throwing.