Omnipotence: Possible?

• 74 Replies
Omnipotence: Possible?
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:47:51 AM »
People have been asking for a while, can God create a stone so heavy that He cannot lift it? Or, in Homer Simpson's version of the question, "Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that He himself cannot eat it?"
Perhaps the best example is: If God has control and power over everything in the universe, how can He grant free will to lesser being, thereby limiting His own power?
"And walking out, we saw once more the stars."
Inferno, Dante Alighieri

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Re: Omnipotence: Possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:37:17 AM »
I believe the future being decided does not limit free will. He simply knows which choices we would make. Before you call unfair on that one, he does not force you to make the decision, he just knows which one you will make and bases accordingly.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:23:08 AM »
But the problem is he is controlling our fate simply by letting us choose what he knows we will choose.  He knows what will happen to us in the end and by not preventing it he has controlled our lives.  (That is if he did exist.)
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:38:34 AM »
The basic flaw with that argument, Raist, is that if that's true, christians can call on predetermined destiny and claim that they don't have to take any responsibility for their actions. Which I know most christians wouldn't do, but it's still possible.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:36 AM »
The basic flaw with that argument, Raist, is that if that's true, christians can call on predetermined destiny and claim that they don't have to take any responsibility for their actions. Which I know most christians wouldn't do, but it's still possible.

No, thats a flaw with predeterminism e.g. Calvinism. What Raist said was that the future isn't predetermined by God, its preknown but not predetermined.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Ravenwood240

• I disagree. What was the Question?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:59 AM »
People have been asking for a while, can God create a stone so heavy that He cannot lift it? Or, in Homer Simpson's version of the question, "Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that He himself cannot eat it?"
Perhaps the best example is: If God has control and power over everything in the universe, how can He grant free will to lesser being, thereby limiting His own power?

He isn't limiting his power.  In the case of free will, he chooses not to use it.  That is not the same as not having it.

Omnipotence is the ability to do anything.  Nothing about being Omnipotent says you have to control every bird's flight, every fish's mating or every human action, merely that if you want to, and exert the effort, you could.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

(Paraphased from R.A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love.")

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »

That is flawed. No matter how well known your actions are by god, they are still what you chose to do. He still will punish you for them.

Just because they are predetermined, doesn't mean they aren't predetermined by the way you are. If it is the way you are that predetermines them, then it is your choice.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:34:24 AM »
But the problem is he is controlling our fate simply by letting us choose what he knows we will choose.  He knows what will happen to us in the end and by not preventing it he has controlled our lives.  (That is if he did exist.)

If your parents give you a decision and already know what you'll choose, did they not give you a choice? My parents on so many occasions have told me exactly what will happen, I ignore them, and it happens. They still gave me a choice to do it. Perhaps that is the way it is with god, he can see what will happen, but he allows us to do it anyways because it is our choice. Perhaps what he does in the beginning doesn't predetermine everything, with quantum states being unknown until they are observed, perhaps that is the way randomness is allowed into the process. He sets it up, and knows what we will ultimately do, but it really is up to us.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »

If your parents give you a decision and already know what you'll choose, did they not give you a choice?

If your parents can see you're going to cause harm to yourself, or someone else, don't they have a duty to intervene and protect the person at risk?

Doesn't God have a duty to protect his "flock"?
This forum blows spunk bubbles out of its diseased, bleeding ass.

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »

If your parents give you a decision and already know what you'll choose, did they not give you a choice?

If your parents can see you're going to cause harm to yourself, or someone else, don't they have a duty to intervene and protect the person at risk?

What is the better teacher, experience or being told?  Being told that something is hot is not nearly as effective as the burned finger.

God if he exists, allows us to learn from experience.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »

So your parents were the controlling type I take it.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:35:52 PM »

What is the better teacher, experience or being told?  Being told that something is hot is not nearly as effective as the burned finger.

No he damns us to an eternity in Hell if we don't make the right choice. We might learn form experience, but that is scant comfort if we don't get to use it.
Everyday household experimentation.

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:38:04 PM »

No he damns us to an eternity in Hell if we don't make the right choice. We might learn form experience, but that is scant comfort if we don't get to use it.

Purgatory... Then Hell if you warrant it.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

• Zeteticist, Moralist, Feminist
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
No two people have the same chemical reactions in the brain, so how do we have a choice in anything?

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 05:49:59 PM »
I believe the future being decided does not limit free will. He simply knows which choices we would make. Before you call unfair on that one, he does not force you to make the decision, he just knows which one you will make and bases accordingly.

You're mixing omniscience and omnipotence.
Your mother.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »

Being all powerful does not mean you control everything.

@ woman lady if we all had the same brain, then there would be no choice.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »
Damn it! You beat me to it.
Now I have to take the opposing side...  ;)

Omnipotent is having all abilities and omniscience is the ability to know everything. Therefore, omniscience is a derivation of absolute power. Therefore, since he didn't mention omniscience, he could just be examining a portion or implication of omnipotence. [/pointless]
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »
Does omnipotence mean you can make a false statement be true at the same time?
Your mother.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:26 PM »

Omniscience means that you know that statements are not necessarily true or false.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 06:18:52 PM »

Omniscience means that you know that statements are not necessarily true or false.

Thank you for quoting me and giving a completely random sentence in return.
Your mother.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »

Thank you for quoting me and giving a completely random sentence in return.

Thank you for asking a meaningless question based on linguistics.

This statement is false.

There you go. A statement that is both true and false. Does not take omnipotence.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
You are right. I misused the term 'statement'. I should have said 'proposition'. But it boils down to linguistics again. Maybe a more general example would be:

Does omnipotence mean you can make A be non-A, while non-A not becoming A?
Your mother.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »
Yes. That would be within the term all powerful. Perhaps god is not all powerful in the sense we use the word, but there is no law he must fit the current definition for the word omnipotent.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »
So, then, if They have this power, how can they know whether 'non-A' is 'A' or 'non-A'?
Your mother.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
So, then, if They have this power, how can they know whether 'non-A' is 'A' or 'non-A'?

Do not ask me, I am not omnipotent or omniscient.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
I guess this was my (weak) attempt to disprove the proposition 'If G-d is omnipotent, then G-d is omniscient'.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:44:17 AM by John Jackson »
Your mother.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

• Zeteticist, Moralist, Feminist
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 07:43:09 AM »
@ woman lady if we all had the same brain, then there would be no choice.
Either way, we're cogs in a machine.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
I guess this was my (weak) attempt to disprove the proposition 'If G-d is omnipotent, then G-d is omniscient'.
And for anyone who watched School House Rock as a kid, knowledge is power. Therefore omniscience is omnipotence!
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:50 AM »
And for anyone who watched School House Rock as a kid, knowledge is power. Therefore omniscience is omnipotence!

Knowledge of a thing is not power over that same thing or the free will we all supposedly have is a myth.

God may know what you plan to do tomorrow, but free will allows you to do it, even if he would rather you didn't.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 10:01:32 AM »

Knowledge of a thing is not power over that same thing or the free will we all supposedly have is a myth.

God may know what you plan to do tomorrow, but free will allows you to do it, even if he would rather you didn't.
The point is, if G-d know what you will do, do you really have free will? I mean, can you do the opposite of what They know you will do?
Your mother.