full moon.

• 13 Replies
full moon.
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:37 PM »
The moon is full tomorrow 6/14, and nearly full from tonight for the next couple of days. I would encourage you all to get a good pair of optics, such as a good pair of binoculars. And I am not talking about the $10 walmart special kind and look closely at the moon. Better yet, look again when the moon is about half. Observe carfully the edge of light and witness firsthand the curvature of the moon. The harvest moon in the fall is the best time to see the complete shape of the moon. It is only a sliver of light but there is enough light reflected off the earth to see the shadowy part of the moon. You will see that it is, in fact, a sphere, not a spotlight.
7.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:04:27 PM »
Firstly, spotlight-ness and sphere-ness are not mutually exclusive properties.

Secondly, how exactly does one witness firsthand the curvature of the moon?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

full moon.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Are you calling the moon flat?
he only thing worse than a flat woman is a flat earth!

full moon.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:16:06 PM »

If I were a mile away from you and held up a beach ball, it would appear two dimensional. However, if I moved to within 20 feet you could clearly see the curvature of the beach ball. The good pair of binoculars will allow you to bring the moon close enough to see the curvature of the moon.

Or don't try it, it's no skin off my nose.

full moon.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:17:30 PM »
 And if you are trying to baffle someone with bullshit you must first make up a couple important sounding words.  :D

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
Quote from: "Copernicus"
Are you calling the moon flat?

I'm pretty sure I was asking a question.

*goes  and checks*

Yep, I was definitely asking a question.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »
Quote from: "lomfs24"
if I moved to within 20 feet you could clearly see the curvature of the beach ball. The good pair of binoculars will allow you to bring the moon close enough to see the curvature of the moon.

They don't bring you closer, they just magnify the image.  I thought everybody know how binoculars worked.  You'd think that if we're getting closer to the moon I would notice.

Anyway, when things are actually close as to merely appearing close then the fact that your eyes are viewing them from different angles allows your brain to reconstruct some 3-D information about the objects.  The sort of curvature that's relevant is the degree to which the moon gets closer to you as you look towards its apparent centre from its apparent rim.

full moon.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »
HUH? Are you saying that a beach ball is not really a sphere? But as I get closer to it my brain is able to make three D assumptions about it?

And no, the binoculars don't actually bring you closer to the moon. But the scenario would still work with the beach ball. If I held it up at a mile and you looked at it, it would appear 2D. But if you looked at it from a mile away with a good pair of binoculars you could clearly see it's 3 dimensional.

Anyway, when you look at the moon with good optics you can see how the edges curve away from the light source at the edges.

But as I said before, if you choose not to do that and live in your deluded world that's just fine with me.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 09:39:25 PM »
Anyway, when you look at the moon with good optics you can see how the edges curve away from the light source at the edges.

What if I were to look at the beach ball / moon through a telescope?

But as I said before, if you choose not to do that and live in your deluded world that's just fine with me.

It's good that you keep saying that.  I appreciate the reminder, really.

full moon.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 10:14:38 PM »

What if I were to look at the beach ball / moon through a telescope?

It's good that you keep saying that.  I appreciate the reminder, really.

If I held up a beach ball and you closed one eye, would you believe I was holding up a dinner plate? All a telescope does is remove one eye. You can still see shapes. At worst, it would only make it more difficult to rapidly judge distance. The telescope really has no bearing whatsoever.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »
If I held up a beach ball and you closed one eye, would you believe I was holding up a dinner plate? All a telescope does is remove one eye. You can still see shapes. At worst, it would only make it more difficult to rapidly judge distance. The telescope really has no bearing whatsoever.

What if the beach ball had no markings on it, and the only illuminating light source was very far away?  Would it still look 3-D?

full moon.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 11:11:46 PM »

What if the beach ball had no markings on it, and the only illuminating light source was very far away?  Would it still look 3-D?

This really is a poor argument. Since we are talking about the moon, there are plenty of markings and there is plenty of light.

What if we took away all the light. Then we couldn't see the moon at all, then we couldn't see the earth, then we couldn't see each other. Then nothing would exist because we couldn't see it.

Try to stay on task. Taking elements away that bolster your position is not how truth is revealed.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
full moon.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 11:22:10 PM »
Since we are talking about the moon, there are plenty of markings and there is plenty of light.

It has markings, yes.  But does it have bright red, white, and green regions bounded by great circles intersecting at a point, which, when viewed at an angle, clearly appear to be elliptical arcs, which, knowing that in reality they are circles, are an excellent indication of the relevant curvature?

*peeks out the window*

Nope, looks like not.

full moon.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »
This is the biggest load of Madison Avenue Bullshit I have ever heard.
1. Are you saying that a sphere must have large stipes and bands for mind to recognize it's a sphere? If I held up a smooth blue ball you would think it's a dinner plate? What a load of crap.

Secondly, I don't know what you just peeked out the window at. The moon isn't even up yet. Not even in Vancouver. Please don't try to lie to me, it won't work.