Poll

Is gun control an effective means of reducing violent crime

Yes.  People cannot be trusted with guns for any reason.  If the population is not armed, then there are less guns in the hands of criminals.  As a result there will be less violent crime
Yes.  But only for gun crimes, it will have no effect on other types of violent crimes
Yes and no.  It may reduce crimes commited with guns, but criminal will then resort to other weapons such as knives.  Other violent crimes will increase
No.  Criminals will get guns despite the law, it will have no effect on crime
No.  Not only will criminals ignore this law and get guns illegally, but such laws will make for easier victims since they will not be armed.  Crime rates will increase

Gun Control

• 2002 Replies

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #1470 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:51 AM »

Exactly. That's why part of the president's plan is to improve mental health detection and information sharing.  But that takes time and there is no guarantee that it'll catch anyone. So in the mean time, they need to ensure that the gun he used can't be bought anymore.

I have no problem with any executive order that went into effect yesterday(forgiving the costs I guess), as for
they need to ensure that the gun he used can't be bought anymore.
see illegal drugs(including marijuana), rocket launchers, drunk driving, all these things that are illegal now that still happen. 

Also let me ask you this. Which is better for clearing out a building of people: a rifle or a pistol

I would say they could be equal.

Also, to clarify:  " sick, twisted, mentally deranged fuck walked into a school and shot little children" with his mother's legally owned gun.

Point?  Could have used his mother's legally owned hammer.

Lorddave

« Reply #1471 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »

Exactly. That's why part of the president's plan is to improve mental health detection and information sharing.  But that takes time and there is no guarantee that it'll catch anyone. So in the mean time, they need to ensure that the gun he used can't be bought anymore.

I have no problem with any executive order that went into effect yesterday(forgiving the costs I guess), as for
see illegal drugs(including marijuana), rocket launchers, drunk driving, all these things that are illegal now that still happen. 
Can you please name all the areas in your town where you can buy a gun illegally?

Also let me ask you this. Which is better for clearing out a building of people: a rifle or a pistol

Under what circumstance?

Also, to clarify:  " sick, twisted, mentally deranged fuck walked into a school and shot little children" with his mother's legally owned gun.

Yes and been tackled by most people. Are you saying a hammer can kill 20 people from a distance easily?
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1472 on: January 17, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »

This is the stupidest sort of  argument pro-gun people make. Blunt weapons may have a higher overall kill rate, but they do not have a higher per incident kill rate. Unless you are Thor you aren't magically going to kill 20 people.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1473 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »
Can you please name all the areas in your town where you can buy a gun illegally?
Again, point?
I'm not a criminal, I have no idea.  I also have no idea where to buy illegal drugs.  Although both crimes happen on a regular basis here.

Under what circumstance?

Under any circumstance.  I could just as easliy clear a building with an AR as I could my conceal carry pistol(which i sold by the way if the goverment is watching me or this site)

Yes and been tackled by most people. Are you saying a hammer can kill 20 people from a distance easily?

No Im not saying that.   Unless you are really good at throwing them. 

This is the stupidest sort of  argument pro-gun people make. Blunt weapons may have a higher overall kill rate, but they do not have a higher per incident kill rate. Unless you are Thor you aren't magically going to kill 20 people.

The president said if we could only save one life.  He said nothing about 20 lives per incident.

Do you know how many people have died in airplane crashes?  They hold lots of people.  Maybe the government should step in and tell the airlines they can only carry 15 people at a time to limit the lives lost per incident. 

Lorddave

« Reply #1474 on: January 17, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
Again, point?
I'm not a criminal, I have no idea.  I also have no idea where to buy illegal drugs.  Although both crimes happen on a regular basis here.
Then how do you expect a crazy person who wants to do a mass shooting to get one?

Under what circumstance?

Under any circumstance.  I could just as easliy clear a building with an AR as I could my conceal carry pistol(which i sold by the way if the goverment is watching me or this site)
Then why use one? If it's just as easy then pistols should be just as good as assault rifles in personal and home defense.

No Im not saying that.   Unless you are really good at throwing them. 
Then what was your point about the hammer?
I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1475 on: January 17, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
Then how do you expect a crazy person who wants to do a mass shooting to get one?
The same way drug addicts get illegal drugs.

Then why use one? If it's just as easy then pistols should be just as good as assault rifles in personal and home defense.
  I don't own an AR.  People have their own personal reasons for owning them.  You would have to ask them why.  Although I do know they are a dream to shoot with competition wise.

My point was he could have used it.  You asked if it would have been easy.  I answered in the negative.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1476 on: January 17, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »
Here Dave, lets use a picture to help demonstrate the absurdity of what has gone on in NY and what the president wants for the US.

« Reply #1477 on: January 17, 2013, 08:02:44 AM »
Again, point?

Probably by exerting even the least amount of effort. I have been sought out and offered a pistol before, without even expressing prior interest. If you were to actively search for one it would take very little time (in most parts of the U.S.).

Lorddave

« Reply #1478 on: January 17, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
The same way drug addicts get illegal drugs.
From the person who introduced then to the drug?

I don't own an AR.  People have their own personal reasons for owning them.  You would have to ask them why.  Although I do know they are a dream to shoot with competition wise.
I did. The answer I got was "because I might not be able to buy one later."
and "in case, and it probably won't happen, but in case I have to defend my house from a riot or attack from a crowd."

My point was he could have used it.  You asked if it would have been easy.  I answered in the negative.
And no children would have died because once you smash a window, the school would have called the cops (since no one would be shot running away) and anyone could have fought him. I would have.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1479 on: January 17, 2013, 08:23:35 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to taking away some guns that might help with the gun violence problem? I don't think there's any way to eradicate gun violence completely, and I know that we are living in an increasingly less violent society (which sometimes gets forgotten when there is a tragedy), so what should be done?

Closing the gun show loophole seems like a good idea. Increasing the availability (and affordability) of mental health care for everyone seems like a good idea.  What else? 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Lorddave

« Reply #1480 on: January 17, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to taking away some guns that might help with the gun violence problem? I don't think there's any way to eradicate gun violence completely, and I know that we are living in an increasingly less violent society (which sometimes gets forgotten when there is a tragedy), so what should be done?

Closing the gun show loophole seems like a good idea. Increasing the availability (and affordability) of mental health care for everyone seems like a good idea.  What else?
Kill all humans.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1481 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:55 AM »

I'll vote for the gunshow "loophole", if you can show me one criminal that did a mass shooting from a gun he bought from someone at a gun show.

« Reply #1482 on: January 17, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »

I'll vote for the gunshow "loophole", if you can show me one criminal that did a mass shooting from a gun he bought from someone at a gun show.

You don't need to see it happen to know that it easily could happen.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1483 on: January 17, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »

So now we are removing liberties for things that might happen.  Wunderbar!

« Reply #1484 on: January 17, 2013, 09:14:45 AM »

So now we are removing liberties for things that might happen.  Wunderbar!

We've been doing that for as long as there have been laws.

Lorddave

« Reply #1485 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »

Criminals don't do mass shootings.
However, the boys from columbine got their guns from a friend who bought them at a gun show.
denver.rockymountainnews.com/shooting/1003robyn.shtml

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1486 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »

lolwut?

However, the boys from columbine got their guns from a friend who bought them at a gun show.

Friend of a friend of a cousin's uncle doesn't count.  If we are going to use 6 degrees of separation we might as well start outlawing bars for drunken driving, which kills far more people than AR15s.

« Reply #1487 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:56 AM »
If they got the gun from a friend, that is a single degree of separation.

Lorddave

« Reply #1488 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

lolwut?
Please name one mass shooting where the shooter was found guilty of a crime prior to the shooting.

Friend of a friend of a cousin's uncle doesn't count.  If we are going to use 6 degrees of separation we might as well start outlawing bars for drunken driving, which kills far more people than AR15s.
Ummm... what?
This is a "I'm buying a gun for two under aged teens". Also called a straw purchase.
This is not 6 degrees of separation.

Also: Dram Shop laws.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1489 on: January 17, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »
Please name one mass shooting where the shooter was found guilty of a crime prior to the shooting.

Total time spent looking: 1.5 min.

Found: Mark O. Barton

Did jail time prior to mass shooting.

Also(oh the irony) started his mass shooting with a hammer, beating his wife and children to death.

What do I win?

Ummm... what?
This is a "I'm buying a gun for two under aged teens". Also called a straw purchase.

Background checks need to be done on private sales of cars to make sure Im not selling my car to a prior convicted drunk driver.

Lorddave

« Reply #1490 on: January 17, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »

Please provide source. All I found was that he was a suspect but never charged.

Also(oh the irony) started his mass shooting with a hammer, beating his wife and children to death.
That's family murder. I wouldn't call that a mass shooting. unless he was at a family reunion. Oh and they were asleep at the time.

Also note: He killed 9 people and wounded 13 in two office buildings. Not a whole lot of death for an office shooting.

Ummm... what?

Background checks need to be done on private sales of cars to make sure Im not selling my car to a prior convicted drunk driver.
Yes because drunk drivers are exactly like crazy people with a gun.
::)

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #1491 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »
Isn't the point of target shooting to be accurate?  If so, why do you need a 30 round magazine, or a gun that can shoot full auto.  I understand that more people are killed with semi auto pistols than anything else in the gun realm, but I can understand someone wanting to own one for defensive reasons.  But an AR 15?  What does anyone need an AR15 for?  Thats a military rifle, designed to kill and maim people.  I still dont see why a revolver and a 12 guage would not be enough for home defense.

And I don't see how we can keep the type of weapon responsible for the worst mass shooting in the history of country around just because some people want to use it in competition shooting.  Why not just compete with less dangerous weapons, or limit the magazine size to something more reasonable?

Rushy

« Reply #1492 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to fight against the government, not so you can shoot guns for fun. Therefore full-auto weapons are entirely comprehensible.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1493 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
Isn't the point of target shooting to be accurate?  If so, why do you need a 30 round magazine, or a gun that can shoot full auto.  I understand that more people are killed with semi auto pistols than anything else in the gun realm, but I can understand someone wanting to own one for defensive reasons.  But an AR 15?  What does anyone need an AR15 for?  Thats a military rifle, designed to kill and maim people.  I still dont see why a revolver and a 12 guage would not be enough for home defense.

Full auto is illegal to almost all civilians.  Special(very expensive) permits are required by the federal gov to own them.

What's the difference between an AR15 and a Mini 14 range rifle?

Please provide source. All I found was that he was a suspect but never charged.

That's family murder. I wouldn't call that a mass shooting. unless he was at a family reunion. Oh and they were asleep at the time.

Also note: He killed 9 people and wounded 13 in two office buildings. Not a whole lot of death for an office shooting.

Ummm... what?

Yes because drunk drivers are exactly like crazy people with a gun.
::)

1. Try wiki.

2. Explain to me how gun control laws are going to stop crazy people again.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #1494 on: January 17, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-january-16-2013-jessica-chastain

The first part is all gun control.

Some very interesting things are thrown around, and of course its a good laugh.  Appparantly as a gun shop you dont have to inventory your guns anymore, and you can sell guns to drunk people.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:46:42 AM by OrbisNonSufficit »

Lorddave

« Reply #1495 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
1. Try wiki.
I did. It's very clear that he was never charged. He even said he didn't do it in his suicide note.

You wanna quote me the text you read that says otherwise?

2. Explain to me how gun control laws are going to stop crazy people again.
You can't. You can only limit their kill count.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1496 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
The best part of that video is when he asks if there are any more federal laws that prohibit federal laws from being enforced.   Anyone want to talk about illegal aliens?

I agree with him.  Start enforcing the 20,000 laws on the books now...and then lets start worrying about new ones.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1497 on: January 17, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

Why should there be less restrictions on buying a gun from a show than from a pawn shop or sporting goods store?  Aren't there any reasonable measures you would support? If there are, I would really like to know what they are.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1498 on: January 17, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Why should there be less restrictions on buying a gun from a show than from a pawn shop or sporting goods store?  Aren't there any reasonable measures you would support? If there are, I would really like to know what they are.

I think there are too many reasonable measures already in place.   I've already stated I had no problem with any of the 23 executive orders that were signed yesterday.

Is there a reasonable measure that you think would have prevented Sandy Hook?

1. Try wiki.
I did. It's very clear that he was never charged. He even said he didn't do it in his suicide note.

You wanna quote me the text you read that says otherwise?

*sigh*

From wiki

In retaliation, he sabotaged company data. He served a small time in jail for it.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #1499 on: January 17, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

I think there are too many reasonable measures already in place.   I've already stated I had no problem with any of the 23 executive orders that were signed yesterday.

Is there a reasonable measure that you think would have prevented Sandy Hook?

What are the reasonable measures that make up "too many"? I've read that people think there are 20,000 gun laws already on the books, and that we should just enforce those, but that number is a made up figure.

I don't know if there is a reasonable measure that would have prevented Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook is an aberration, but the discussion isn't just about preventing Sandy Hook, is it?  When a shooting such as the one at Sandy Hook occurs, everyone pays more attention to the issue and then interest fades until the next one comes along. I'm pretty sure we will always have weird and horrific acts of violence no matter what we do, and it doesn't help that the media treats these things like tragedy porn. I am not in favor of banning guns, but I think we can do better than we have in making our society safer.

These are the 23 executive orders. There's nothing in them, really, to object to, unless you're against mental healthcare. I suppose one good thing may come out of Sandy Hook, if people are able to obtain better mental healthcare.

Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.

Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

Propose rule making to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

Nominate an ATF director.

Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.

Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.