Poll

Is gun control an effective means of reducing violent crime

Yes.  People cannot be trusted with guns for any reason.  If the population is not armed, then there are less guns in the hands of criminals.  As a result there will be less violent crime
Yes.  But only for gun crimes, it will have no effect on other types of violent crimes
Yes and no.  It may reduce crimes commited with guns, but criminal will then resort to other weapons such as knives.  Other violent crimes will increase
No.  Criminals will get guns despite the law, it will have no effect on crime
No.  Not only will criminals ignore this law and get guns illegally, but such laws will make for easier victims since they will not be armed.  Crime rates will increase

Gun Control

• 2002 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #1440 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »
Having assault rifles don't help normal citizens, they only help mass killings.
Having high capacity magazines don't help normal citizens, they only help mass killings.

I have no problems with concealed pistols and pistol ownership.
I DO have a problem with high capacity magazine Assault Rifles.
You are backwards and wrong.
Handgun crime is much higher than rifle crime. You may want to look it up yourself. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #1441 on: January 16, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
What the hell is an Assault Rifle, anyway?  I can assault someone with any rifle.  I can also assault them with a broom, but I don't call it an assault broom.  Can we please stop using this term?

Lorddave

« Reply #1442 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
Having high capacity magazines don't help normal citizens, they only help mass killings.

Handgun crime is much higher than rifle crime. You may want to look it up yourself.
hmmmm... when did I say otherwise?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #1443 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

Good question.  You did not say otherwise.  Glad I could help.

« Reply #1444 on: January 16, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
What the hell is an Assault Rifle, anyway?  I can assault someone with any rifle.  I can also assault them with a broom, but I don't call it an assault broom.  Can we please stop using this term?

Any rifle capable of fully automatic fire. It's an important distinction.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #1445 on: January 16, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Would you mind telling us why you are for handguns and against assault rifles when handguns cause way more deaths per year?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Lorddave

« Reply #1446 on: January 16, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
Would you mind telling us why you are for handguns and against assault rifles when handguns cause way more deaths per year?
Because I don't look at it as numbers on a yearly scale.  I look at it as numbers on a single incident scale.

Take a look at the world around you.  If a single person is shot, we ignore it.  We ignore people lying on the ground dying in the middle of a major city.  We justify it as "oh it's in a bad neighborhood" or "Gang wars" or even "She shouldn't have married that man".  But when someone opens up in a place we assume is safe (school, mall, movie theater) and kills many people just like you and me, well... we think differently.

I'll put it another way.
If one person died every day to a gun for 10 years we don't care.
If 10 people die in one room from a gun on the same day, we do care.

You want to keep your guns?  Stop the large scale killings.  We ignore the small stuff.

This bill, this reaction is not about stopping gun violence.  It's not about making the streets safer or homes safer.  It's not even about making our public ares safer.  It's about lowering the per incident deaths.  Even if that increases the number of incidents.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #1447 on: January 16, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »
Because I don't look at it as numbers on a yearly scale.  I look at it as numbers on a single incident scale.

Take a look at the world around you.  If a single person is shot, we ignore it.  We ignore people lying on the ground dying in the middle of a major city.  We justify it as "oh it's in a bad neighborhood" or "Gang wars" or even "She shouldn't have married that man".  But when someone opens up in a place we assume is safe (school, mall, movie theater) and kills many people just like you and me, well... we think differently.

I'll put it another way.

You want to keep your guns?  Stop the large scale killings.  We ignore the small stuff.

This bill, this reaction is not about stopping gun violence.  It's not about making the streets safer or homes safer.  It's not even about making our public ares safer.  It's about lowering the per incident deaths.  Even if that increases the number of incidents.
Virginia Tech. Fort Hood.
The law is about praying on a scared and ignorant populace and taking away guns civilians have that the military fears. They don't care about the children.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #1448 on: January 16, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »

Rifle designed to assault enemy positions. Light, magazine fed, accurate at ~500m, and fully auto. That's my understanding somewhat mixed with the official definition.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #1449 on: January 16, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »

I've heard this "assault rifle is a political term" blabber a lot from what might be called the 'pro-gun' side. But I'm pretty sure that the term "assault rifle" relates to the historical development of these class of rifles and their intended emphasis in combat. The original assault rifle was the late-WW2 German Sturmgewehr, which translates roughly as 'storm/assault rifle' (storm having the connotation of 'storming a castle', or more infamously Hitler's SA).

A quick Wikipedia search backs this up:

In July 1944, at a meeting of the various army heads about the Eastern Front, when Hitler asked what they needed, a general exclaimed, "More of these new rifles!". This caused some confusion (Hitler's response is reputed to have been "What new rifle?"), but once Hitler was given a chance to see and test-fire the MP 44, he was impressed and gave it the title Sturmgewehr. Seeing the possibility of a propaganda gain, the rifle was again renamed as the StG 44, to highlight the new class of weapon it represented, translated "Storm (Assault) rifle, model 1944", thereby introducing the term

So I think what people need to do is stop pretending that 'assault rifle' is a political term. It has been the name of this class of weapon since they were invented.

Do NRA members not watch the 'Secret Nazi Weapons' programs on the History channel?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #1450 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Rifle designed to assault enemy positions. Light, magazine fed, accurate at ~500m, and fully auto. That's my understanding somewhat mixed with the official definition.
This is correct. The bold part is why people in this thread keep using the term incorrectly.  An AR-15 is an assault weapon, it is not an assault rifle. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #1451 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
This is correct. The bold part is why people in this thread keep using the term incorrectly.  An AR-15 is an assault weapon, it is not an assault rifle.

Yes, but with regard to jroa's point, the important detail is that the term 'assault' has its roots in the historical development of such weapons, and not in an attempt to demonise them through language.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #1452 on: January 16, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

Assualt rifles refer to rifles that look a certain way. A fully automatic gun is a machine gun. The media uses the term assualt rifle to scare people. Assault rifles can be fully auto, but often are not.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #1453 on: January 16, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
Assualt rifles refer to rifles that look a certain way. A fully automatic gun is a machine gun. The media uses the term assualt rifle to scare people. Assault rifles can be fully auto, but often are not.
[/quote]
Incorrect.

Yes, but with regard to jroa's point, the important detail is that the term 'assault' has its roots in the historical development of such weapons, and not in an attempt to demonise them through language.
I see that now.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #1454 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »

And let's not forget how the media loves using stock footage of people firing machine guns when discussing assault weapon bans and such, which pertain to semi-autos.

CNN pulled a fast one once demonstrating an evil assault weapon consisting of a MAK-90 (ironically a post-ban configuration AK-47 clone) compared to a bolt-action rifle chambered for the same round. 

Shattered a cinder-block with the MAK90.  What happened when he fired the bolt-action?  Nothing.  He missed on purpose.   -to the viewing audience, "See how much more destructive the AK is?"

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:21:15 PM by 29silhouette »

Beorn

• Flat Earth Editor
  • If I can't trust my eyes, what can I trust?
« Reply #1455 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »
The law is about praying on a scared and ignorant populace and taking away guns civilians have that the military fears. They don't care about the children.

You gun lovers show time and time again that you rather have your nice little weapon than having your kids safe. Don't try to turn it around and act as if the people who want to make your country a safer place don't care about kids.
Only one thing can save our future. Give Thork a BanHammer for Th*rksakes!

« Reply #1456 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
Here's some information about "assault weapons" everyone should at least know if they're discussing the matter.
http://www.assaultweapon.info/

Vindictus

« Reply #1457 on: January 16, 2013, 11:59:58 PM »
Here's some information about "assault weapons" everyone should at least know if they're discussing the matter.

wat. The site compares the AR-15 to pistols and rifles, saying they're all semi auto and therefore the same. The AR-15 comes with a 30 round magazine, how is it even remotely the same? It also claims a limit of 40-60 rpm, which is bullshit; it can shoot just as fast as a fully auto version.

I don't care that it's not technically an assault rifle because it has no automatic option, what matters is that it's still designed to kill people in a quick and effective fashion; it's light, it's small and it shoots 30 shots before requiring a reload. It's also one of the most popular weapons in America. It's used in lots of mass shootings in America, and it was also used in our worst mass shooting.

I'm not sure if this is already the case, but is it really so bad to ask all Americans to keep their guns in a safe at all times?

« Reply #1458 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:34 AM »

wat. The site compares the AR-15 to pistols and rifles, saying they're all semi auto and therefore the same.
Well they are.  That 'rancher' rifle they pictured?  It's a 'mini-14'.  It fires the same round, and there are 10,20,and 30 rnd mags for it.  It just doesn't look as scary.  A quick changing of the stock however and you have the same scary looking guns they used in the original 'Total Recall' movie.

The AR-15 comes with a 30 round magazine,
No, it comes with whatever size magazine that is legal in whatever state you're in.  I purchased an AR once or twice that came with 10 round mags.  A couple of mine are set up for target shooting, and all I use in them are 10 rounders, or maybe 20.   NY just banned anything over 7 rounds.  One can't even buy a Ruger 10/22 .22lr there now.

how is it even remotely the same?
They're both semi-auto, they both fire the same round, and they both use detachable magazines.

It also claims a limit of 40-60 rpm, which is bullshit; it can shoot just as fast as a fully auto version.
40-60 is an understatement, I agree, unless one wants to be accurate and hit anything.  I can pull the trigger faster, but after the first shot, I'm wasting bullets.  No, it can't shoot as fast as a full auto unless you 'bump-fire' it, but then you have very little control over when the gun starts firing, and it's hard to stay on target.  It also takes a light enough and smooth enough trigger to do that.  Not all semi-autos are capable of it.  It takes practice to even do it anyway.

I don't care that it's not technically an assault rifle because it has no automatic option, what matters is that it's still designed to kill people in a quick and effective fashion;
No, it's designed to fire bullets. 

it's light, it's small and it shoots 30 shots before requiring a reload. It's also one of the most popular weapons in America. It's used in lots of mass shootings in America,
"lots"... do you have a number?

and it was also used in our worst mass shooting.

I'm not sure if this is already the case, but is it really so bad to ask all Americans to keep their guns in a safe at all times?
Mine are in a safe.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:39:26 AM by 29silhouette »

Vindictus

« Reply #1459 on: January 17, 2013, 01:27:14 AM »
Well they are.  That 'rancher' rifle they pictured?  It's a 'mini-14'.  It fires the same round, and there are 10,20,and 30 rnd mags for it.  It just doesn't look as scary.  A quick changing of the stock however and you have the same scary looking guns they used in the original 'Total Recall' movie.

Out of interest, how does the 30 round magazine mini-14 stack up against the AR-15 30 round (what is the occurrence of 30 round magazines with both rifles, pricing of the two guns etc)?  This isn't information I've been able to find quickly on Google.

No, it comes with whatever size magazine that is legal in whatever state you're in.  I purchased an AR once or twice that came with 10 round mags.  A couple of mine are set up for target shooting, and all I use in them are 10 rounders, or maybe 20.   NY just banned anything over 7 rounds.  One can't even buy a Ruger 10/22 .22lr there now.

20 and 30 round magazines are standard issue, although I am not sure how many areas have laws regarding magazine size.

40-60 is an understatement, I agree, unless one wants to be accurate and hit anything.  I can pull the trigger faster, but after the first shot, I'm wasting bullets.  No, it can't shoot as fast as a full auto unless you 'bump-fire' it, but then you have very little control over when the gun starts firing, and it's hard to stay on target.  It also takes a light enough and smooth enough trigger to do that.  Not all semi-autos are capable of it.  It takes practice to even do it anyway.

RPM is mostly irrelevant anyway, I just wanted to call bullshit on that 40-60 figure. I can't imagine that 1 shot per second is all the AR-15 is capable of, and there's nothing to stop it from firing as fast as the automatic variant except your fingers.

No, it's designed to fire bullets.

Yes, at people. You no doubt know that it was designed for the army, and they don't equip soldiers to hunt.

"lots"... do you have a number?

No, and I'm amending my position. I'm sure there was another massacre in which it was used, but I can't seem to find it.

Mine are in a safe.

But that's not because the law requires it, is it? A simple law like that may have prevented the sandy hook shooting. I don't think banning a gun this prevalent will do anything to prevent another shooting, even though I also believe that people shouldn't have had access to the AR-15 in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:24:10 AM by Vindictus »

« Reply #1460 on: January 17, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

Incorrect. An assault rifle, by definition, has the capability for full automatic fire.

Lorddave

« Reply #1461 on: January 17, 2013, 03:27:24 AM »

I'll put it another way.

Yes, given several hours of planning on a large campus and chaining exits to a building does help. The Norway shooter spend 3 hours with a rifle killing 60 people. He was on an island.

It took Cho 10 minutes, 3 classrooms, and 174 rounds of ammo to kill 30 people(with many wounded). Even after shooting most people multiple times AND returning to previously attacked classrooms.

Adam, in the same time frame and two classrooms killed 20 students and 6 adults. He fired half the number of shots and killed all but two people he hit.
His kill could would have likely been higher if the classrooms held 30 students each (like my district's school) or if there weren't as many places to hide.

As for fort hood: That's military. Different category.

It seems obvious to me that an assault rifle is more accurate than a pistol. And by definition, more deadly in the hands of a novice.

Why are you trying to argue that pistols are just as bad? Are you saying ALL guns should be banned? Because that's what it sounds like.

Lorddave

« Reply #1462 on: January 17, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »
I also feel it's with noting:
If pistols were as deadly as assault rifles, why do people want assault rifles and not just pistols?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #1463 on: January 17, 2013, 04:25:53 AM »
Ill just leave this here.

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_08.html

Four years running more people were killed with hammers/clubs than rifles.  The president says if only one life is saved then we must do something. 

And dont even get me started on cars.

The liberal stance on gun control is absurd. 

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #1464 on: January 17, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »

http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_08.html

Four years running more people were killed with hammers/clubs than rifles.  The president says if only one life is saved then we must do something. 

Chances are good that if we legalised hand-grenades and pipe-bombs more people would still be killed with hammers/clubs. Should we legalise hand-grenades and pipe-bombs?

?

illmunati

• Nope
« Reply #1465 on: January 17, 2013, 04:51:16 AM »
If pistols were as deadly as assault rifles, why do people want assault rifles and not just pistols?

and pistols are easier to conceal

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1466 on: January 17, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »

Chances are good that if we legalised hand-grenades and pipe-bombs more people would still be killed with hammers/clubs. Should we legalise hand-grenades and pipe-bombs?

We arent talking about legalizing explosives are we?  No, we are talking about things that are currently legal to own.  I have a better chance of getting killed by a hammer than I do by an AR-15 according to the numbers.  And that rifle statistic covers all long guns just not ARs.  I wonder what the actual breakdown is.

BTW rocket launchers are illegal too but they are still out there.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/28/16221808-rocket-launchers-surface-during-los-angeles-guns-buyback?lite

I know you aren't delusional enough to think that making something illegal removes it from existence.

Lorddave

« Reply #1467 on: January 17, 2013, 05:33:36 AM »

Are you suggesting that this ban is supposed to decrease deaths from accidents?
Or are you suggesting that the ban is to decrease total deaths?

Because both would be wrong. Stop repeating the same flawed argument as the rest of your side and start looking at WHY this issue arose.

Of course, we could just ban all handguns too. That's what you want right?

and pistols are easier to conceal
Lack of concealment hasn't stopped any mass shooting.

Adam had a rifle and no one noticed until he was shooting.
The columbine kids had shotguns but no one noticed until they started shooting.
And Cho had two pistols. No one noticed until he started shooting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:38:41 AM by Lorddave »

WardoggKC130FE

« Reply #1468 on: January 17, 2013, 05:38:21 AM »
This issue arose because some sick, twisted, mentally deranged fuck walked into a school and shot little children.

So you agree then that placing armed guards at school is a good thing? 

I am all for getting rid of all the deranged lunatics and locking them away forever so they can't hurt another child ever again.  How do you propose we accomplish this?  I am all ears.

Lorddave

« Reply #1469 on: January 17, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »
This issue arose because some sick, twisted, mentally deranged fuck walked into a school and shot little children.

So you agree then that placing armed guards at school is a good thing? 

I am all for getting rid of all the deranged lunatics and locking them away forever so they can't hurt another child ever again.  How do you propose we accomplish this?  I am all ears.
Exactly. That's why part of the president's plan is to improve mental health detection and information sharing.  But that takes time and there is no guarantee that it'll catch anyone. So in the mean time, they need to ensure that the gun he used can't be bought anymore.

Also, to clarify:  " sick, twisted, mentally deranged fuck walked into a school and shot little children" with his mother's legally owned gun.

Also let me ask you this. Which is better for clearing out a building of people: a rifle or a pistol?