I just got fired from my job!

• 47 Replies

Tao of Pooh

• I owe it all to good, clean living.
I just got fired from my job!
« on: December 20, 2008, 05:13:44 AM »
No reason given. Over the phone too! When I asked the manager said she didn't want to get into any "specifics" but they've decided to let me go. I was with the company for almost 9 years, only one person has been there longer than me, was a supervisor & the only person to have ever received a merit raise.

Merry fuckin' Christmas y'all.
Click dis:

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Re: I just got fired from my job!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »
In all seriousness, I would give her a call back and ask her to 'get into specifics', because it's totally unacceptable that they're not giving you a reason for letting you go. If you go to get another job, they may well ask you why you were let go from your previous job, and saying they wouldn't tell you is going to look bad. Besides, I am sure they're legally required to give you a reason. Honestly, that's atrocious stuff right before christmas. You should definitely give them a call back and find out why, because they have no right to fob you off like that.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:10:10 AM »
According to the law, an "at will" employement (which is what I had) can be terminated by either party for any reason or no reason. So, in other words...no job security whatsoever. Even on the lawyer board I posted this on the only advice I got was "look for another job"  ::)
Click dis:

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:14:34 AM »
Yeah it depends on what country you live in. Are you in the US? Kinda sounds that way...

Yes, the Hundred Acre Wood is actually in Kentucky.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:17:26 AM »
Rough.  :-X
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:20:53 AM »
Yup, U.S. California.

someone I told i was fired told me their timing sucked. Actually, their timing is spot-in because now I bet they're not gonna give me my Christmas bonus.
Click dis:

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »
I don't know anything about the whole "at will" situation, but normally you would get bonus entitlements along with money for vacation and possibly severence pay.  You should at least look into it.
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
I'll look in to the bonus situation...not that it would be much of one anyway. I know that from past experience  ::)
Click dis:

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 07:26:16 AM »
If you are friends with any of your ex-co-workers get them to find out why you were let go.

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:54:48 AM »
I just got the employee handbook delivered to me by the woman I worked with. According to her no one has been told anything, not even the other supervisors. I called her during the night to see what was going on & one of the other supervisors was covering my shift & was just as surprised to hear that I had been fired. Maybe the management thinks no one will notice if I just never show up again?
Click dis:

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »
I just got the employee handbook delivered to me by the woman I worked with. According to her no one has been told anything, not even the other supervisors. I called her during the night to see what was going on & one of the other supervisors was covering my shift & was just as surprised to hear that I had been fired. Maybe the management thinks no one will notice if I just never show up again?

If no-one but the top brass knows maybe you could just sneak back in gain... ok getting paid might be hard but I'm sure you could fudge it...

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 08:16:31 AM »
Burn them down
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 08:34:52 AM »

If no-one but the top brass knows maybe you could just sneak back in gain... ok getting paid might be hard but I'm sure you could fudge it...
I could go in there any time over this weekend & what could they do? No one was told I'm not allowed in anymore, and this is supposed to be a high-security job!
Click dis:

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
Click dis:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Tao of Pooh

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »
Burn them down
Don't gimme any ideas! ;)

I hear burning them down is good
I wouldn't wish it on most of the people who work there, some of whom I've known for ovr 15 yrs but honestly....

I hope the whole place fucking crashes & burns!!!
Click dis:

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
I'll drink to that.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »
Wow that really sucks.  Good luck with finding work.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 02:35:31 PM »
Condolences or something similar seem to be due. I hope it works out for the better down the line.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 02:43:44 PM »
My question is, what is an "at will" job?
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          
|     STFU          |||""'|"""\___            O
| ______________|||___|__|__|)          -|- 
  (@)@)""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)          / \

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
Burn them down
Don't gimme any ideas! ;)

I hear burning them down is good
I wouldn't wish it on most of the people who work there, some of whom I've known for ovr 15 yrs but honestly....

I hope the whole place fucking crashes & burns!!!

"Hello, ma'am? We're from the Department of Homeland Security. There's a little matter we'd like to discuss with you..."

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 02:47:56 PM »

I think it's equivalent to "tillsvidareanst?llning", if that's any more familiar.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
Burn them down
This.

Or you can post their address and one of us can handle it for you. :P

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »

I think it's equivalent to "tillsvidareanst?llning", if that's any more familiar.
No not really, but it sounds like they would be the same thing.
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

New Flat Earth FAQ: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=30512.0

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »
It's your fault for being an "at-will" employee. I have no pity for you, lrn2thnkahed.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
It's your fault for being an "at-will" employee. I have no pity for you, lrn2thnkahed.

Everybody in California is an at-will employee unless they are under a contract of some kind.  California is an at-will employment state.  Everyone is essentially a temp - even if you've been there 30 years.  My dad always taught me that job security is a myth - send at least one resume out every month.
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me

Sexual Harassment Panda

• Now more sophisticated
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
So people that are at-will don't have contracts? So they are paid by the hour?
|^^^^^^^^^^^\||_____          

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »

Everybody in California is an at-will employee unless they are under a contract of some kind.  California is an at-will employment state.  Everyone is essentially a temp - even if you've been there 30 years.  My dad always taught me that job security is a myth - send at least one resume out every month.

or find a job with a contract...or move....or stfu...pick maybe?
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

Guessed

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »

or find a job with a contract...or move....or stfu...pick maybe?

Uh-oh, Beno's having his period again.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
Everything will be fine on Friday
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.