Abortion

• 178 Replies

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
Re: Abortion arguement derailled from The "M" word.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
Its different when its concerning something that hasn't been conscious yet
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »

To some extent, I agree.  As soon as a heart starts beating, I think it's no longer just a thing, but a person.
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
Thats why I think if someone decides to have an abortion, they should decide as early on as possible. But its a difficult decision to make so it takes time.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 12:15:14 PM »
Thats why I think if someone decides to have an abortion, they should decide as early on as possible. But its a difficult decision to make so it takes time.

Agreed.  But once you hit the second trimester I think it's time to look at alternate options.  By 3 months the baby is moving.  By 4 months you can begin to feel it. 
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »
Definitely. I wouldn't agree with someone having a second trimester abortion unless its for medical reasons. I'm not sure if its even allowed here.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
Definitely. I wouldn't agree with someone having a second trimester abortion unless its for medical reasons. I'm not sure if its even allowed here.

:)  It's nice having a healthy debate on here.  I wish this could happen more often.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:03 PM »

To some extent, I agree.  As soon as a heart starts beating, I think it's no longer just a thing, but a person.

This is the big dilemma, when exactly does a potential life become a life?  When does that life get rights equal to that of the mother?  This is an unanswerable question because it is a question of morality.  Some people believe it is the moment of conception, some believe it is when the fetus becomes viable (able to survive outside the womb) and others believe it starts at birth.  None of these people are right or wrong.  Moral judgment is decided by the people who are in power.

It is for this reason that I believe it should not be legislated.  However, natural checks and balances can be established without forceful regulation.  Morality should be taught by parents, community, religion, but never enforced by government in my opinion.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 02:44:40 PM »

:)  It's nice having a healthy debate on here.  I wish this could happen more often.

Indeed  :)

Til ragnarr comes along and bores us all by stating the obvious. And the obviously overstated.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »
There's not enough angry ranting in this thread. RAWR.

I think that abortion is a private matter, and completely up to the woman.  As long as the abortion procedure is done early I don't see how it's anyone's business. A little lump of cells is no more a person than a wart is.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Ravenwood240

• I disagree. What was the Question?
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
There's not enough angry ranting in this thread. RAWR.

I think that abortion is a private matter, and completely up to the woman.  As long as the abortion procedure is done early I don't see how it's anyone's business. A little lump of cells is no more a person than a wart is.

Hear hear.  Until it can be sustained outside of the mother's body, it's not a person, it's technically a parasite.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

(Paraphased from R.A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love.")

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »
Using the term parasite is as annoying as pro-life people insisting that the foetus is a baby, not a foetus. No woman is going to refer to, or think of, the foetus in her as a parasite, and if she does then she's a bit fucked up and needs an abortion pronto.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »
Using the term parasite is as annoying as pro-life people insisting that the foetus is a baby, not a foetus. No woman is going to refer to, or think of, the foetus in her as a parasite, and if she does then she's a bit fucked up and needs an abortion pronto.

Lol.  I agree.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »

Lol.  I agree.

x2
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

• Zeteticist, Moralist, Feminist
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
I support a woman's right to choose. However, I will say this much: anyone who denies that there is a human element to an unborn child or postulates that it is simply a growth on the woman's body does not deserve to hold a position on the matter.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I support a woman's right to choose. However, I will say this much: anyone who denies that there is a human element to an unborn child or postulates that it is simply a growth on the woman's body does not deserve to hold a position on the matter.

I am pro choice as well, but this implies a couple of things:
1. Your opinion is worth more than other people's opinions.
2. There exists a group of people who do deny a human element to a fetus. (I have yet to meet anyone here or elsewhere who do deny this)
3. A growth is less deserving of 'life' than anything else organic.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »

I am pro choice as well, but this implies a couple of things:
1. Your opinion is worth more than other people's opinions.
2. There exists a group of people who do deny a human element to a fetus. (I have yet to meet anyone here or elsewhere who do deny this)
3. A growth is less deserving of 'life' than anything else organic.

At option 3, government funding for cancer research would say so.

?

Ravenwood240

• I disagree. What was the Question?
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »

True, but that is what it is at that point.  Would I tell my sister that she has a parasite in her?  No.

"Biology:   An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host."

The first definition of the word in the American Heritage Dictionary.  A baby contributes nothing to it's host until it is viable.

I do not deny there is a human element.  Obviously, the being, Parasite, Person, Fetus whatever is human genetically.  I don't believe it is a person however.  At that point, it is a mass of human genes and cells that have some potential to be human at some point in the future.

By the way... "simply a growth on the woman's body".  Anyone that doesn't know that a baby grows inside a woman doesn't deserve to hold a position on the matter.

I take the position that life begins at viability.  According to this:  http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/156236/worlds_youngest_premature_baby_survives.html

The youngest age at which a baby can be supported outside its mother's body is 21 weeks.  Therefore, I think what the woman does with the B/P/F/whatever before 20 weeks is a matter for her, her SO and her higher power.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

(Paraphased from R.A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love.")

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
Re: Abortion
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
as I said when i joined, it does center around the definition of "person." It is clear that, as the OP illustrated, abortion at time of birth is ghastly....but why? I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts, and don't intend to because I'm now bored of this debate, but has anyone given a comprehensive definition of person yet?
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

?

britishgent

• Eli, Eli Lama Sabachthani?
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2008, 07:24:15 AM »
Would describing personage phenomenologically be acceptable to you?
Global warming: Liberal hoax
The earth is not getting warmer after all; the effect is really just the prevalence of air conditioning. It just seems warmer when we go outside.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2008, 07:33:15 AM »
Whether the fetus is a person or not does not matter in the abortion debate is what he was saying. Basing a debate over which terms define what is pointless. That'd be like in a debate saying a tomato is less nutritious than a pepper, because it is a fruit.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Not true, most debates are over word definitions. I was at a serious former debate on the words of Thomas Gray "Ignorance is bliss, and to be wise is folly" or something, and it all descended to insults because the proposition defined ignorance as ignorance of both problem and solution and bliss as a state of personal happiness, while the opposition decided that ignorance was only of a solution and bliss was synonymous with cultural advancement for some reason. They were the ones who were flinging insults too, so they lost. That's how you all look, pro-lifers.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
Not true, most debates are over word definitions. I was at a serious former debate on the words of Thomas Gray "Ignorance is bliss, and to be wise is folly" or something, and it all descended to insults because the proposition defined ignorance as ignorance of both problem and solution and bliss as a state of personal happiness, while the opposition decided that ignorance was only of a solution and bliss was synonymous with cultural advancement for some reason. They were the ones who were flinging insults too, so they lost. That's how you all look, pro-lifers.

It is a debate ON WORDS, yes word definitions are important there. I am speaking of a political issue, not an academic one.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »
At option 3, government funding for cancer research would say so.
That's a subjective equation:
Something organic > Something else organic

Government funding is appeal to authority, but I don't think you were actually trying to make a case as much as a point.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »

True, but that is what it is at that point.  Would I tell my sister that she has a parasite in her?  No.

"Biology:   An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host."

The first definition of the word in the American Heritage Dictionary.  A baby contributes nothing to it's host until it is viable.

I do not deny there is a human element.  Obviously, the being, Parasite, Person, Fetus whatever is human genetically.  I don't believe it is a person however.  At that point, it is a mass of human genes and cells that have some potential to be human at some point in the future.

By the way... "simply a growth on the woman's body".  Anyone that doesn't know that a baby grows inside a woman doesn't deserve to hold a position on the matter.

I take the position that life begins at viability.  According to this:  http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/156236/worlds_youngest_premature_baby_survives.html

The youngest age at which a baby can be supported outside its mother's body is 21 weeks.  Therefore, I think what the woman does with the B/P/F/whatever before 20 weeks is a matter for her, her SO and her higher power.

A foetus is a foetus. It doesn't need any othe definition, we all know what a foetus is. Calling it a parasite is as much an appeal to emotion as calling it a baby.

Benocrates

• Canadian Philosopher
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2008, 06:35:08 PM »
Whether the fetus is a person or not does not matter in the abortion debate is what he was saying. Basing a debate over which terms define what is pointless. That'd be like in a debate saying a tomato is less nutritious than a pepper, because it is a fruit.

It is important because we grant political right to "persons" and not simply organic life. The personhood of a thing is what makes it human, and a human cannot be rightly killed out of pure convenience. I don't see how else this can be debated.
Quote from: President Barack Obama
Pot had helped
Get the fuck over it.

The One True Rat

• Cannot Understand Sarcasm
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
Thought Experiment from Jullian Baggini's "The Pig That Wants to be Eaten":

Joe worked downstairs in the administration area in the hospital, and was celebrating his new promotion with a few buddies. Joe was drinking, but nothing too much. Just enough to accidentally take the elevator to the wrong floor and pass out on the first empty bed.
On waking, Joe realized that he had passed out on one the organ donor beds! He was already hooked up to a 20 year old violinist who was in deep need of his kidneys, and other vital organs.
There was no need to operate to remove Joe's parts, the process merely keeps Joe alive until a useable organ is found for the violinist. Joe exclaims in dismay that he cannot remain here, he has a job to do! He cant just drop his life for someone else that he doesnt even know and came to on accident!
The doctor understands, but tells Joe that if he were to discontinue the procedure it would most certainly kill the young violinist...

What does Joe do?
I like the thought experiment because it takes alot of moral "walls" out of the issue.

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
Well, imo, if you're so against abortion, you can have the baby when it's out.

Not aimed at anyone specific, just in general.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »

After the mother dies of childbirth complications.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »

Do me a favor and contact these sites with your offer.  I bet you would have plenty of takers.

http://www.americanadoptions.com/

http://adoptionnetwork.com/

http://www.adopthelp.com/

http://www.adoption.com/

http://www.adopting.org/

http://www.adoptuskids.org/

http://www.adopt.org/assembled/home.html

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »
Sites willing to help adopt children does not mean that capable parents are using those sites to obtain children. I have found sites completely dedicated to finding you a hook-up in your local area. I'm willing to bet there are about 2 real women on the whole site.