Would you still be you?

• 64 Replies
?

Ravenwood240

• I disagree. What was the Question?
Re: Would a clone have a soul?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2008, 01:29:59 PM »
Let's say you're on your deathbed and this is a great deal in the future.  A doctor has offered you two choices.  1.  You die and 2. Your memories, thoughts, and emotions can be downloaded on a machine so that you can continue to live.  If you choose the second one...are you really still alive?

I'd have to say no, because, we are talking about one's consciousness.  I think a new consciousness would begin, and the old "you" would die.  This is because, when you look at it, it's not a "transfer" but a destructive copy process.  All the attributes of your consciousness are first duplicated, then the original is destroyed.  You would see the machine whir to life from your bed, and then the lights would go out. 

On a similar note - I wouldn't step onto a star-trek transporter either.  I am pretty sure I'd "die" and a doppelganger would take my place at the other location.  The copy would be sure the transporter worked, unable to tell it's consciousness only began that second, and decide they are entirely safe and don't interfere with the continuity of a conscious being's experience, but that would be an illusion.

That.... or all continuity of consciousness is an illusion - for all I know the individual life-cycle of consciousness only exists for a millisecond, or until one falls asleep... no way to know for sure.  Not being able to know - I think I'd play it safe.

Another question:  Your friend who saved your life once is dying, and gets cloned and has his consciousness transferred.  Before the original is destroyed, someone busts into the room and says they have a cure that will let him live in perfect health, but with a 10% of relapse.  You, him, his clone all go rock climbing, and due to an accident, you can save the original or the clone.  Which do you save, and does it matter?

Is the original destroyed?  When I move software, I have two choices, copy it to a new location or simply move it to that location.  If your thought patterns and other mental processes are moved rather than copied, you would still be you.  Now, if the soul is a metaphysical bit that requires some sort of higher power to create or manipulate, you would no longer be you.  If on the other hand, the soul is the aggregate of all of your experiences, the mental extension of your life, then you would still be you after being put in the machine.

(I don't think they can make a computer that is as complex as the brain or store a person in one, but that was not the focus of that question.)

About the Star Trek transporter.... I wouldn't get on one either, but going by the Canon facts, it's safe.  You are broken down into your component parts and moved to a new location where you are reassembled according to the map made as you were disassembled.  No different than moving a file in a computer.

I think continuity of consciousness is real, for a healthy human.  Even when you are sleeping, you still hear and absorb input from your surroundings.  Only when you lose contact with everything around you, IE. Blackouts, comas, extremely high fevers, do you lose that continuity.  Perhaps that is why some people come out of experiences like that with severe personality changes.

In your climbing question, I would save my friend.  He is known to me, and we have history.  The clone is someone I just met and may or may not mean anything to me at this time.  It does matter.  The clone may remember everything my friend does, but since he awoke, he has been having experiences that make him different.  He may be very close to my friend, but he is not the same.  Plus, my friend has lived through a life threatening illness that I was there for, and that would change him even more. as well as bringing us closer together than the being that doesn't remember that.

Plus, my friend is the one who saved my life and I owe that person, not the fruit of his loins or whatever a clone would be considered.
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

(Paraphased from R.A. Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love.")

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2008, 08:47:26 PM »

Is the original destroyed?  When I move software, I have two choices, copy it to a new location or simply move it to that location.  If your thought patterns and other mental processes are moved rather than copied, you would still be you.  Now, if the soul is a metaphysical bit that requires some sort of higher power to create or manipulate, you would no longer be you.  If on the other hand, the soul is the aggregate of all of your experiences, the mental extension of your life, then you would still be you after being put in the machine.

(I don't think they can make a computer that is as complex as the brain or store a person in one, but that was not the focus of that question.)

About the Star Trek transporter.... I wouldn't get on one either, but going by the Canon facts, it's safe.  You are broken down into your component parts and moved to a new location where you are reassembled according to the map made as you were disassembled.  No different than moving a file in a computer.

The thing is, when you move the software, if it is from one drive to another, bits are written to the destination drive, and then deleted from the original drive after the fact.  (technically speaking, the original file is 'unlinked' so it is no longer considered protected in-use space, but it doesn't get erased until a new file buzzes over those bits with new data...but it does effectively end up deleted at some point) 
If that file had consciousness, then it would observe that odd feeling of having all it's bits read, then it's pattern of bits overwritten in such a way that destroys the pattern, and if the pattern is what creates the consciousness, then obliterate it's consciousness in the process.

All 'move' is in terms of computer files, is a copy with a post-op delete of the original.  This only varies when you move files within the same hard drive, in which case only the directory meta data is modified. 

I think continuity of consciousness is real, for a healthy human.  Even when you are sleeping, you still hear and absorb input from your surroundings.  Only when you lose contact with everything around you, IE. Blackouts, comas, extremely high fevers, do you lose that continuity.  Perhaps that is why some people come out of experiences like that with severe personality changes.

In your climbing question, I would save my friend.  He is known to me, and we have history.  The clone is someone I just met and may or may not mean anything to me at this time.  It does matter.  The clone may remember everything my friend does, but since he awoke, he has been having experiences that make him different.  He may be very close to my friend, but he is not the same.  Plus, my friend has lived through a life threatening illness that I was there for, and that would change him even more. as well as bringing us closer together than the being that doesn't remember that.

Plus, my friend is the one who saved my life and I owe that person, not the fruit of his loins or whatever a clone would be considered.

I have to agree with you 100% here.  For me, the way I see it is "the individual looking out from behind that set of eyes" was there when they saved my life, the clone has the experience, and could not experientially know they are not the original - but they still aren't. 

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Another question:  Your friend who saved your life once is dying, and gets cloned and has his consciousness transferred.  Before the original is destroyed, someone busts into the room and says they have a cure that will let him live in perfect health, but with a 10% of relapse.  You, him, his clone all go rock climbing, and due to an accident, you can save the original or the clone.  Which do you save, and does it matter?

That is an interesting one.  I don't know.  How would I know who the clone was and who the original was?  Would the clone have a different personality or wear something specific so that I know who is who?  It would be incredibly difficult to let one of them die either way.  I'd have to see the look on their face as they've realized I haven't chosen to save them.  That would affect me greatly.

It is kind of a harsh question I guess, and that is a good answer. 

I never actually answered your original question:  I would let myself be downloaded into the computer, but I would see that as an entity "patterned on me" and not myself being transferred.  I am pretty partial to my goals and views, and don't plan to have children (which I don't see as a continuation of one's own will anyway) so it would be a way to allow my work to continue after I am gone, but not extend my consciousness specifically.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »
For those of you who believe in some sort of after-life I'd like to know where you stand on this.  If someone were to be cloned and that clone was raised and acted as a human, would they go on after their death?  Since they aren't naturally conceived, could it affect whether or not you have a soul? 

Another interesting one.  If we were to take the memories, emotions, and thoughts of a human being and put it into a machine, would he/she/it have an after-life?

Very hard to say, depends on your definition of a soul, or "the" definition of a soul.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
I really used the word soul due to a lack of a better word.  When I say soul I mean your consciousness.  It all stemmed from an argument I had with my uncle on whether or not a person is actually still alive when they are copied and placed into another body or machine.  To me, you disappear when your orginal body dies and what's left is merely a copy like a video of you would have.  It's not actually you continuing.
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
I really used the word soul due to a lack of a better word.  When I say soul I mean your consciousness.  It all stemmed from an argument I had with my uncle on whether or not a person is actually still alive when they are copied and placed into another body or machine.  To me, you disappear when your orginal body dies and what's left is merely a copy like a video of you would have.  It's not actually you continuing.

By that definition I would have to say that yes a clone does have a soul, because they are conscious (aware).  As for you second point, I believe a copy of yourself would be an entirely separate entity.  Both the original and the copy have their own identities at that point and ability to take separate paths, they are not in any way linked to each other.  Therefore if your mind was to be copied into another body, and your original self was destroyed.  Then you are dead, the copy of you is a separate entity that retains your thoughts, memories and experiences.

Sorry, kinda depressing huh?  In the end I do not think we were meant to be immortal in the sense of continued existence.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:06:42 PM by ragnarr »

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »

By that definition I would have to say that yes a clone does have a soul, because they are conscious (aware).  As for you second point, I believe a copy of yourself would be an entirely separate entity.  Both the original and the copy have their own identities at that point and ability to take separate paths, they are not in any way linked to each other.  Therefore if your mind was to be copied into another body, and your original self was destroyed.  Then you are dead, the copy of you is a separate entity that retains your thoughts, memories and experiences.

Sorry, kinda depressing huh?  In the end I do not think we were meant to be immortal in the sense of continued existence.

If your Soul/Spirit/whatever you call it is the bits of you that make you you... your thoughts, conscious being emotions etc, why wouldn't you go with them into the new physical shell?

We already know that you will remain you no matter what breakages happen to the physical shell.

You can lose your arms and still be you.
You can lose your legs and still be you.
you can get any organ in your body saving only the brain transplanted and still be you.

So, either the Soul/Spirit/Whatever it is is based in the brain or it has a metaphysical being that does not depend on the shell.

In either case, if it is only the sum of those mental processes that make you different from the next meat shell, why wouldn't it go with you?

And, if it has a metaphysical being outside the meat shell, wouldn't it go where your mind goes, that being the only bit of you that can't be replaced with someone else's bits?

Sudden last minute thought:  If/When science gets to the point of being able to transplant a brain, which side is the donor?  The brain, or the body?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:04:37 PM by Ravenwood240 »
Belief gets in the way of learning.  If you believe something, you've closed your mind to any further thought.  I know some things, little things, not the nine million names of God.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 07:10:07 AM »
Sudden last minute thought:  If/When science gets to the point of being able to transplant a brain, which side is the donor?  The brain, or the body?

This one made me go "hmmmmm".  That's a good question.  I'll try to answer later.
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »
In either case, if it is only the sum of those mental processes that make you different from the next meat shell, why wouldn't it go with you?

And, if it has a metaphysical being outside the meat shell, wouldn't it go where your mind goes, that being the only bit of you that can't be replaced with someone else's bits?

In the case of copying the mind, then I think it is an entirely separate being that is created, however if you were to take your mind and put it in another body, then it would still be your soul.

If your brain was copied (but otherwise not harmed), then nothing has really changed for the original host.  Whatever receives the copy would be a separate being IMO.

This actually came up with theoretical transporters (in the startrek use of the word) on a History Channel program I was watching.  Transportation is theoretically possible if we could scan and copy every particle in a persons body, and recreate it somewhere else.  The problem is the original body is still existent and you have only created a copy of that body, the solution would then be to disintegrate (kill) the original body so only the copy is left.  If it were me being "transported", during the scanning and copying process I would not feel any difference, I am really not be transported.  After the process is done I am then disintegrated, and in my opinion some other being with my memories and likeness continue on.  All that happens to me is I get to be disintegrated, which SUCKS!

hmmm....
<--strokes beard

svenanders

• I'm always right. If you disagree, you're wrong.
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
Your consciousness is in your brain. Even though you copied your memories, thoughts, and what not, it's not really you who is copied to the machine or another body.
To keep your consciousness (soul) alive after the "copy" or "move", you'll have to have the exact same brain. The variables are so big that this is highly unlikely. Think about this: Every human beeing is unique because you can't see out of anyone elses eyes. This is your own and only consciousness, and you don't share it with anyone else. This would also apply to twins i think.
The brain is unique in its composition, and this is essentially all that is you, in my humble opinion.

Merry christmas everybody!  ;D

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »
No two people (identical twins and clones in included) have to same brain chemistry. Neurological connections and pathways within the brain store data like memories, et cetera. Why couldn't consciousness be limited to the physical realm? After all, it is the only known realm. The supernatural realm is unsupported speculation.  ;)
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

svenanders

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »
No two people (identical twins and clones in included) have to same brain chemistry. Neurological connections and pathways within the brain store data like memories, et cetera. Why couldn't consciousness be limited to the physical realm? After all, it is the only known realm. The supernatural realm is unsupported speculation.  ;)

It IS probably limited to the physical realm. The brain is physical, but its complexity is the main issue. We do not know exactly how the brain stores all its stuff. Every brain has its unique network of neuron-paths, wich is, of course unique in everyone of us. Even in twins. They don't share the same consciousness you know.

The question is: "What part of the brain stores our consciousness?"

Is my english readable and understandable? I need to know since my native language is norwegian.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

It IS probably limited to the physical realm. The brain is physical, but its complexity is the main issue. We do not know exactly how the brain stores all its stuff. Every brain has its unique network of neuron-paths, wich is, of course unique in everyone of us. Even in twins. They don't share the same consciousness you know.

Is my english readable and understandable? I need to know since my native language is norwegian.

That is a trick question, our whole brain stores our consciousness, and our brain then tricks us into thinking there is some main control that makes decisions. Ever heard of regret? Different parts of the brain looking at the same decision I'd say.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »

Yes, I can read and understand everything you've posted so far just fine. :)

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

Yes, I can read and understand everything you've posted so far just fine. :)

You're supposed to lie to him. Tell him we can't understand him.  >:(

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
That is a trick question, our whole brain stores our consciousness, and our brain then tricks us into thinking there is some main control that makes decisions. Ever heard of regret? Different parts of the brain looking at the same decision I'd say.
So what if you die and you're brain is transplanted to a cancer patient.  Would they still have their own consciousness or would it be yours?

Also, I will not be part of your evil, Raist.  >:(

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »
So what if you die and you're brain is transplanted to a cancer patient.  Would they still have their own consciousness or would it be yours?

Also, I will not be part of your evil, Raist.  >:(

Well then it would be the same as you getting a new body. w00t. Basically cancer boy loses rights to his body, though you may have slightly different urges and behaviors due to different body chemistry, testosterone/estrogen levels. Lots of variables, but basically it is you.

Also, you will be part of my evil. :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:21:32 AM by Raist »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
It is likely to only emerge only as a system and not as a component. However, both answers imply that copying the exact brain chemistry of a person would duplicate the consciousness perfectly.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »
It is likely to only emerge only as a system and not as a component. However, both answers imply that copying the exact brain chemistry of a person would duplicate the consciousness perfectly.
The original and copie's interactions post creation would deem the two entities as fractionally different beings, chaos wouldn't allow their egos to be identical, to the soul believing viewer there would be a new soul produced by this "blasphemy".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:01:35 PM by Dead Kangaroo »

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 11:48:23 AM »
Your consciousness is in your brain. Even though you copied your memories, thoughts, and what not, it's not really you who is copied to the machine or another body.
To keep your consciousness (soul) alive after the "copy" or "move", you'll have to have the exact same brain. The variables are so big that this is highly unlikely. Think about this: Every human beeing is unique because you can't see out of anyone elses eyes. This is your own and only consciousness, and you don't share it with anyone else. This would also apply to twins i think.
The brain is unique in its composition, and this is essentially all that is you, in my humble opinion.

Merry christmas everybody!  ;D

It is unique... but is the meat part of your mind required for you to be you?  If every thought, emotion ETC, all those bits of your life that make you you were copied to a clone that has been kept without any higher function brain activity, Why wouldn't that be you?

svenanders

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »

Ok, but if I was to copy my brains data exactly as it is, and impliment it to another brain. Would that mean that I control two minds?
I think there can only be one consciousness for each induvidual. There are something that seperates us from each other, but we have yet to find what excatly what that is. We can call it "soul" if you like, but I prefer consciousness.

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

Ok, but if I was to copy my brains data exactly as it is, and impliment it to another brain. Would that mean that I control two minds?
I think there can only be one consciousness for each induvidual. There are something that seperates us from each other, but we have yet to find what excatly what that is. We can call it "soul" if you like, but I prefer consciousness.

At some point, the "you" would be sent to the new brain, who maybe it would stay.  Hm.  Assuming that your whtever is accustomed to your body, I would expect it to stay and the copy you have to exactly like you, for some time.  As it had different experiences, it would begin to show differences from you until such time as people that know both of you can easily tell the differences in the way you react.

The question here, is at what point does that copy have a soul/Consciousness of it's own?

svenanders

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »

At some point, the "you" would be sent to the new brain, who maybe it would stay.  Hm.  Assuming that your whtever is accustomed to your body, I would expect it to stay and the copy you have to exactly like you, for some time.  As it had different experiences, it would begin to show differences from you until such time as people that know both of you can easily tell the differences in the way you react.

The question here, is at what point does that copy have a soul/Consciousness of it's own?

The moment its consciousness!  ::)

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »

And that is when?  As it wakes from whatever drugs the doctors gave while they did their Frankenstein work, it is you.  Until someone tells it that it's only a copy of another person, it will think it is you.  When does it have a consciousness of being a unique person?

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

And that is when?  As it wakes from whatever drugs the doctors gave while they did their Frankenstein work, it is you.  Until someone tells it that it's only a copy of another person, it will think it is you.  When does it have a consciousness of being a unique person?

In my opinion it would be the moment of it's creation (or potential consciousness).  At that point its destiny is entirely separate from the original.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:36:39 PM by ragnarr »

svenanders

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »

The moment all my data is copied to the host brain, it will perhaps think that it is me, but as it becomes aware, it will realize that it is its own consciousness. What a sentence!! ;)

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
The moment all my data is copied to the host brain, it will perhaps think that it is me, but as it becomes aware, it will realize that it is its own consciousness. What a sentence!! ;)

No, when it wakes, it's going to think, "Did it work? Did I, svenanders actually copy my entire brain into another being?"

Then some Doctor's going to examine and say "Do you have a name preference, Mr Clone?"

Then, it will realize that it is the copy, not the original.

svenanders

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:19 PM »

No, when it wakes, it's going to think, "Did it work? Did I, svenanders actually copy my entire brain into another being?"

Then some Doctor's going to examine and say "Do you have a name preference, Mr Clone?"

No. I, the one who is copied, starring at my clone, will realize that it didn't work, because I only see through my eyes. Not the eyes of the clone. The clone may think like me, act like me, do the things I would normally do in a given situation, but it's really not me after all!
It a pretty interesting concept though, don't you think?

?

Ravenwood240

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 01:59:46 PM »

No. I, the one who is copied, starring at my clone, will realize that it didn't work, because I only see through my eyes. Not the eyes of the clone. The clone may think like me, act like me, do the things I would normally do in a given situation, but it's really not me after all!
It a pretty interesting concept though, don't you think?

It would be... if you were the original.  It might suck for the clone.  I think some serious mental adjustments might be needed.  Nothing personal, but most people today aren't wrapped tight enough to deal with their every memory being someone else's.  I have to assume that your clone wouldn't like it any better.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Would you still be you?
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
The problem originates from subjective terms like consciousness. It is a continuum in which arbitrary lines can be drawn.

Some rhetorical questions:
Are people conscious?
Are animals conscious?
Are microorganisms?
Are molecules?
Are atoms?
Quarks?

All interact according to stimulus/response rules.

The complexity of the brain seems to have a direct correlation with capability of consciousness.

No there is no electrical connections between the brains. A physical gap means no control.

The original and copie's interactions post creation would deem the two entities as fractionally different beings, chaos wouldn't allow their egos to be identical, to the soul believing viewer there would be a new soul produced by this "blasphemy".
I'm not trying to imply that's its possible to achieve, I'm just trying to narrow down the philosophical consequences of the hypothetical scenario in which it does occur.  :P