• You are a pirate!
Sun on the Equinox
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
http://theflatearthsociety.net/forum/index.php?topic=683.0

Yet to be answered. I've never heard a dumber response before:
Quote from: Tom Bishop date=1227947373
Quote from: 3 Tesla date=1226924784
Here is a diagram which illustrates the point, I think:

This shows the position of The Sun at sunrise and sunset relative to an observer on The Equator during The Equinox (when night and day are both 12 hours long) in The Flat Earth Model.

It can be clearly seen that the compass bearings of The Sun at surise and sunset are not due East / West (not 90 degrees and 270 degrees) - results which have been determined by our very own experiments!

The observed results - 90/270 degrees - are explained perfectly well by The Round Earth Model (where The Earth is a spinning globe a long way away from The Sun) ...

But cannot be explained by The Flat Earth Model (where The Sun circles a mere 3,000 miles above The Equator).

So I conclude that our planet is, in fact, a globe.

Would Flat Earthers care to respond to this?

After looking at the diagram again, the problem is scale. Say a person is at the latitude of Los Angeles in that diagram. When we double the size ratio of the entire diagram, suddenly the approaching sun is at a slightly different position in relation to the observer. As the scale increases in scale the sun gradually moves eastwards in relation to the observer. When the diagram increases in size, the sun moves Eastwards in relation to the observer.

Now where would the sun be in relation to LA if the scale was at 1:1 with the earth? If the circle of the sun's path were painted on the earth the observer would look down and just see a straight line, since the circular path around the equator is so huge and vast. Therefore the sun would be coming from the East in the Flat Earth model.
According to Tom Bishop, as shapes get larger, their contained angles change.

I propose that everyone perform this experiment on the upcoming equinox and post their results. We'd have to give the equipment we used, the data we collected, and pictures (a full, 24-hour time-lapse video would be best). If everyone gets the same results (regardless of location), it is an ultimate blow to the FET.
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

Re: Sun on the Equinox
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:33:42 AM »
There isnt an equinox until around the 22nd of March. Its the winter solstice thats coming up soon on the 22nd December. It would still be a good time to make some observations though.

?

oneworldresistance

• Resist or serve
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
You'd like that wouldn't you?  Have us all out there measuring the sun and burning our retinas...  then when we had your proof, you'd just deny it and claim we messed up.  YOU measure it.

OWR

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, PerfectCircle believes in a Round Earth.
The Earth is Round.

?

oneworldresistance

• Resist or serve
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »

I know what he believes.  But if we did his little "experiment" we'd find the truth (that being a flat earth) then he'd just claim we did it wrong.

Face it round earthers...you have NO evidence of a round earth...not any.  Yet rather than listen to the facts, you make stuff up or waste your time on stupid experiments that prove nothing other than that you're blinded by the conspirers

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:23 PM »

I know what he believes.  But if we did his little "experiment" we'd find the truth (that being a flat earth) then he'd just claim we did it wrong.

Face it round earthers...you have NO evidence of a round earth...not any.  Yet rather than listen to the facts, you make stuff up or waste your time on stupid experiments that prove nothing other than that you're blinded by the conspirers

I've seen Perfect Circle debate.  He wouldn't refute your findings.  It is an FET point of view that is us that needs to prove our reality, when in all actuality it is your guys who need to try and prove your theory.  At least advance it from hypothesis to theory.  Read up on scientific methods.

You know your first post it actually seemed like you had an open mind.  It's obvious that door has abruptly shut.
The Earth is Round.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

I've seen Perfect Circle debate.  He wouldn't refute your findings.  It is an FET point of view that is us that needs to prove our reality, when in all actuality it is your guys who need to try and prove your theory.  At least advance it from hypothesis to theory.  Read up on scientific methods.

You know your first post it actually seemed like you had an open mind.  It's obvious that door has abruptly shut.

I think he's an alt.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:42:52 PM »
The last time RE'ers tried this experiment they got contradicting results.

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:59 PM »
I will try this experiment, although I will not be able to get 100% accurate data because trees block my view of the absolute sunrise :(... But it should be good enough to prove RE wrong without a reasonable doubt....

I assume the only things needed will be a camera and a compass?

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
The last time RE'ers tried this experiment they got contradicting results.
No, if I remember correctly, one person was 6 degrees off, which is well within the margin of error for their location.

You'd like that wouldn't you?  Have us all out there measuring the sun and burning our retinas...  then when we had your proof, you'd just deny it and claim we messed up.  YOU measure it.

OWR
If you clicked the link, you'd know that this experiment was performed twice by several people on these forums, and the results concluded that the earth is round.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:29:17 PM by Perfect Circle »
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
I will try this experiment, although I will not be able to get 100% accurate data because trees block my view of the absolute sunrise :(... But it should be good enough to prove RE wrong without a reasonable doubt....

I assume the only things needed will be a camera and a compass?
You will need an unobstructed view, a compass and a map. You must measure the azimuth of the sunrise and sunset, then you must factor in the magnetic offset for your area. If you get numbers close to 90 degrees and 270 degrees, the Earth is round.

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
Tell me how do every one of those steps as you RE'ers would like so I can provide acceptable proof.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 04:04:34 PM »
Tell me how do every one of those steps as you RE'ers would like so I can provide acceptable proof.
Read the threads above. I'm probably not the best candidate to organize an experiment like this, I have a lot of work to do.

?

trig

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
First, get a reasonable compass. Usually you can get one for a few tens of dollars, that lets you see your intended orientation and the scale at the same time. If possible, avoid the simplest compasses that you can buy for about a dollar, that have a very bad axis so that the needle sticks, making the measurement very erratic.
Second, you look at the sun only for enough time to choose a reference point that you can then measure with your compass. You do not look at the sun for prolonged periods. Alternately, you could use a filter but you should know what you are doing.
Third, you take both measurements, at dawn and dusk. If you take them the same day that is great, if you take them one or two days apart that is usable too.
If you have a limited view of the horizon please tell the forum the altitude of the obstacles, so we can evaluate the error this causes.
Fourth, subtract the azimuth at the dawn from the azimuth at dusk. The azimuths should be about 270 and 90 if the Earth is round, and about 295 and 65 for most of Europe and the USA if the Earth is flat. After subtracting, the result is about 180 if Earth is round, and some 230 if Earth is flat

The above assumes a flat Earth according to the model by Rowbotham. By subtracting both results any effect caused by the difference between magnetic and true north is eliminated.

Important note: any time after March 22 and before September 23 is good for this measurement. If the Earth is flat, the difference in azimuths will be greater than 220 for most populated places on Earth if Earth is flat, and it will be less than 190 degrees if Earth is round. (I am placing some allowance for error in measurements)

?

trig

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
And a second note: of course the measurements posted here will be considered unacceptable as evidence if the reader does not like them. This is the easiest way anyone can do his own check, without depending on anybody.

Some trolls will post doctored measurements to discredit the test. If you do it yourself, you will get your own answer, to reaffirm or change your own life decisions.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
You must also compensate for magnetic offset according to your area. See the original thread for more information.

?

trig

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »
You must also compensate for magnetic offset according to your area. See the original thread for more information.
This is taken care of when you subtract the measurement at dawn from the measurement at dusk, since the offset is the same in both measurements.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 02:47:14 AM »

This shows the position of The Sun at sunrise and sunset relative to an observer on The Equator during The Equinox (when night and day are both 12 hours long) in The Flat Earth Model.

It can be clearly seen that the compass bearings of The Sun at surise and sunset are not due East / West (not 90 degrees and 270 degrees) - results which have been determined by our very own experiments!

The observed results - 90/270 degrees - are explained perfectly well by The Round Earth Model (where The Earth is a spinning globe a long way away from The Sun) ...

But cannot be explained by The Flat Earth Model (where The Sun circles a mere 3,000 miles above The Equator).

After looking at the diagram again, the problem is scale. Say a person is at the latitude of Los Angeles in that diagram. When we double the size ratio of the entire diagram, suddenly the approaching sun is at a slightly different position in relation to the observer. As the scale increases in scale the sun gradually moves eastwards in relation to the observer. When the diagram increases in size, the sun moves Eastwards in relation to the observer.

Now where would the sun be in relation to LA if the scale was at 1:1 with the earth? If the circle of the sun's path were painted on the earth the observer would look down and just see a straight line, since the circular path around the equator is so huge and vast. Therefore the sun would be coming from the East in the Flat Earth model.

I propose that everyone perform this experiment on the upcoming equinox and post their results. We'd have to give the equipment we used, the data we collected, and pictures (a full, 24-hour time-lapse video would be best). If everyone gets the same results (regardless of location), it is an ultimate blow to the FET.

The problem with that diagram is the directions. That red circle would be east and west. Also, that sun is a quarter way around the world by then.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »

The problem with that diagram is the directions. That red circle would be east and west. Also, that sun is a quarter way around the world by then.

By Jove, I think that he's getting it.  Congratulations Raist, you are finally starting to realize that the FE model does not match our reality.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »

By Jove, I think that he's getting it.  Congratulations Raist, you are finally starting to realize that the FE model does not match our reality.

I was referring to her shitty labeling. Even on the flawed RE model they claim nothing so ridiculous as East and West being straight lines. They are curved in concentric circles to give it at least the appearance of realism.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
I was referring to her shitty labeling. Even on the flawed RE model they claim nothing so ridiculous as East and West being straight lines. They are curved in concentric circles to give it at least the appearance of realism.
Even on FE the directions of East and West are horizontally perpendicular to the direction of North. This means that the labelling of that diagram is correct.

On Flat Earth this means that the local East/West direction is at a tangent to the circle of that radius form the North Pole. This is one of the Geometric anomalies that FE can not explain and shows that we live on a Round Earth.

Sure, if you were to keep looking at your compass as you moved around the Earth, you would describe a circle, but that is only because you have to keep adjusting your movements to suit the Local Horizontal Perpendicular to North.

The Motions of the Sun, Moon and Stars would be different from what we observe if we lived on a Flat Earth. They would rise in the North East and Set in the North West. It is an inescapable aspect of the Geometry of a Flat, Disk-like Earth. But as this is not what we see, it rules out a FLat, Disk-like Earth. Therefore FET is wrong.
Everyday household experimentation.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 08:42:36 PM »
Even on FE the directions of East and West are horizontally perpendicular to the direction of North. This means that the labelling of that diagram is correct.

Technically it is the tangent to the circle at any point, but it turns as it goes around.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »

Technically it is the tangent to the circle at any point, but it turns as it goes around.
Well technically, because the centre for Rotation and Magnetism are different, then no.

But, simplistically, Yes. It is a tangent. But something that is horizontally perpendicular is also a Tangent. The reason that I used my phrase is that it is more accurate to call it that because the direction North is not a circle and East and West are based off this vector, not as a tangent.

Also, even in RET East and West are horizontally perpendicular to North, but they are not horizontally tangent to the equator. They are vertically tangent to the Equator.

But all this is pointless detail and does not change the original point: The Labelling of the diagram is correct and that this means that FET can not explain the rising/setting of the Sun during the Equinox (and at other times, it is just most obvious and easy to demonstrate the problem during the situation with the equinox).

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
I'm bumping this thread. Here's some easier diagrams and a simpler explanation:
http://www.theroundearthsociety.net/index.php?topic=22.msg561#msg561

Is any FE'er going to take the challenge this time?

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:20 AM »
A simpler way to get measurements of the position of the sun may be to measure the direction of a shadow cast by something, such as a pole, and then rotate that measurement by 180 degrees.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »

Well technically, because the centre for Rotation and Magnetism are different, then no.

But, simplistically, Yes. It is a tangent. But something that is horizontally perpendicular is also a Tangent. The reason that I used my phrase is that it is more accurate to call it that because the direction North is not a circle and East and West are based off this vector, not as a tangent.

Also, even in RET East and West are horizontally perpendicular to North, but they are not horizontally tangent to the equator. They are vertically tangent to the Equator.

But all this is pointless detail and does not change the original point: The Labelling of the diagram is correct and that this means that FET can not explain the rising/setting of the Sun during the Equinox (and at other times, it is just most obvious and easy to demonstrate the problem during the situation with the equinox).
No it is not. In FET East and west are concentric circles radiating out from the center.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »

No it is not. In FET East and west are concentric circles radiating out from the center.
No East and West are defined as being 90 degrees from the direction of North/South. Therefore on FE East and West are at a tangent to the circle of the Earth.

If you constantly used a compass to adjust your heading as you moved on an East/West direction you would describe a circle, but that is because as you move on the East/West tangent to North/South the angle to North changes and you adjust for this change in angle by turning slightly with each step.

For your claim of East/West being a circle, compasses would need to be calibrated to the latitude, and if you took them form one latitude to another, you could not use them to accurately navigate. But, since people do take compasses to different latitudes and do successfully use them to navigate without recalibrating them for the new latitude, then we can conclusively rule out your claim.

Sorry, you are wrong. East/West is at 90 degrees to North/South and so are not concentric circles around a centre.

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 07:16:13 PM »
I have a theory to explain this effect.

The atmolayer is convex. As light travels from the sun it hits the atmolayer and refracts widdershins and turnwise according to the angle of incidence. Since the atmolayer is convex - this explains the discrepancy between the FE predicted azimuth and the observed azimuth.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »

The atmolayer is convex. As light travels from the sun it hits the atmolayer and refracts widdershins and turnwise according to the angle of incidence. Since the atmolayer is convex - this explains the discrepancy between the FE predicted azimuth and the observed azimuth.
Would not work like that. If this did work like that, then photos would come out all twisted around the centre of the image, as they don't we have evidence that this is not the case. Also, optics says that it would not do what you are claiming would occur.

So, no. It does not explain it.

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 07:36:11 PM »

Would not work like that. If this did work like that, then photos would come out all twisted around the centre of the image, as they don't we have evidence that this is not the case. Also, optics says that it would not do what you are claiming would occur.

So, no. It does not explain it.
The suns light rays are not parallel.