Mile Markers, Odometers, and bears - Oh my!

• 41 Replies
Re: Mile Markers, Odometers, and bears - Oh my!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
I did a search first, but didn't find anything so I'll start a new post:

Highway mile markers - how do they always manage to match up with the odometer on my car regardless of how far north/south I am?

My car is a little old, so no chips or GPS to allow conspirators to manipulate my odometer... but no matter how far north, or south, or whether I am traveling north/south or east/west the numbers seem to always match up with RET data.

There should be significant distortion between the mile marker postings on the highway and what my odometer reads depending on how far north/south I am if the world is flat.

How does FET account for this?

So, how come the map you were using to compare with the distances you measured with your odometer is drawn on a plane?

Also, before you started driving, people built the road and used a small wheel to measure distances between the mile markers.

1) Flat maps are a lot more "handy" to carry around, and the distortions are built into the map, which are exceptionally minor at small scales.  However the map doesn't even factor into this issue - we are only talking about mile markers and odometers.

2) Using the small wheel to measure the distances between the markers is part of Round Earth Theory.  According to Flat Earth Theory we live on a disk and RE distance measurements and maps are all faked by a conspiracy, including GPS to account for the northern hemisphere compression and southern hemisphere expansion.  They'd have to use a bigger wheel (for east/west roads) the farther south they got to keep the measurements in line with the fake maps and fake GPS data to fake the impression of a round Earth. 

The problem though, is even if they fake the mile markers, there is no explanation of how a car's odometer can match up to all the?se different, faked measures at different latitudes.

So you say we neglect the discrepancies between the maps and the real measurements to conclude that RE gives correct predictions. Nice.

The distance between two points measured by a small wheel does not depend on the shape of the Earth. It is 1 mile. Period.
Your mother.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
I don't need a reason.
Classic RE mantra.
And you have a problem, we'll just get rid of you, NASA style.
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 05:30:37 PM »

Highway mile markers - how do they always manage to match up with the odometer on my car regardless of how far north/south I am?

My car is a little old, so no chips or GPS to allow conspirators to manipulate my odometer... but no matter how far north, or south, or whether I am traveling north/south or east/west the numbers seem to always match up with RET data.

There should be significant distortion between the mile marker postings on the highway and what my odometer reads depending on how far north/south I am if the world is flat.

So, how come the map you were using to compare with the distances you measured with your odometer is drawn on a plane?

Also, before you started driving, people built the road and used a small wheel to measure distances between the mile markers.

1) Flat maps are a lot more "handy" to carry around, and the distortions are built into the map, which are exceptionally minor at small scales.  However the map doesn't even factor into this issue - we are only talking about mile markers and odometers.

2) Using the small wheel to measure the distances between the markers is part of Round Earth Theory.  According to Flat Earth Theory we live on a disk and RE distance measurements and maps are all faked by a conspiracy, including GPS to account for the northern hemisphere compression and southern hemisphere expansion.  They'd have to use a bigger wheel (for east/west roads) the farther south they got to keep the measurements in line with the fake maps and fake GPS data to fake the impression of a round Earth. 

The problem though, is even if they fake the mile markers, there is no explanation of how a car's odometer can match up to all the?se different, faked measures at different latitudes.

So you say we neglect the discrepancies between the maps and the real measurements to conclude that RE gives correct predictions. Nice.

The distance between two points measured by a small wheel does not depend on the shape of the Earth. It is 1 mile. Period.

That's my point.  FE states that due to the shape of the Earth being a disk, RE maps are wrong, and tools such as GPS send falsified data to convince people they are on a Round Earth.  False data sent via GPS is at least somewhat plausible, and has been discussed a lot on these forums.  What has not is how distances on land can be falsified when we have things like odometers and mile markers.  Since 1 mile is 1 mile, period (as you said), and you can use the mile markers to see this, and your odometer to see this, any false data from a GPS that claims you've moved more or less than a mile would become obvious.

How does FET reconcile the "RE maps are false, and GPS's lie" with the fact they appear to tell the truth as per mile marker indicators on highways, which can be corroborated with readings from your car's odometer?

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »

Would you agree that the maps of the Earth, where they are on continent are accurate? As 1 mile is 1 mile. So if I can measure 1 mile on the ground using whatever means I like, then that will match up with 1 mile using whatever means you like and that will agree with any map. So that FE and RE agree that Maps of the Ground are not faked at all.

If this is the case, it becomes trivial to prove FET wrong.

Using maps of the Ground (on maps we can agree are accurate, or that we check using actual mile markers or even trundle wheels or odometers) and the stated distances between locations (which we can check if we think they are wrong) we can therefore make measurements of the Geodesics for the surface of the Earth.

Using these geodesics, we can prove mathematically that the surface of the Earth is round.

I have had some experience with map making (as one might be able to tell form my other posts), and I ahve done this. I have measured the Geodesic and found that they mathematically dictate that the surface of the Earth must be Round and can not be Flat.

So, if you agree that 1 mile is 1 mile, then the only conclusion using that applied to the real world, is that the Earth is round.

Thank you for providing the conclusive proof that FET is wrong.
Everyday household experimentation.

?

britishgent

• Eli, Eli Lama Sabachthani?
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »
Stop being a fag arguing (convincingly) for FE is a challenge and requires intelligence. Arguing for RE requires google and some copypasting.
Global warming: Liberal hoax
The earth is not getting warmer after all; the effect is really just the prevalence of air conditioning. It just seems warmer when we go outside.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
Would you agree that the maps of the Earth, where they are on continent are accurate? As 1 mile is 1 mile. So if I can measure 1 mile on the ground using whatever means I like, then that will match up with 1 mile using whatever means you like and that will agree with any map. So that FE and RE agree that Maps of the Ground are not faked at all.

Using maps of the Ground (on maps we can agree are accurate, or that we check using actual mile markers or even trundle wheels or odometers) and the stated distances between locations (which we can check if we think they are wrong) we can therefore make measurements of the Geodesics for the surface of the Earth.

Using these geodesics, we can prove mathematically that the surface of the Earth is round.

I have had some experience with map making (as one might be able to tell form my other posts), and I ahve done this. I have measured the Geodesic and found that they mathematically dictate that the surface of the Earth must be Round and can not be Flat.

So, if you agree that 1 mile is 1 mile, then the only conclusion using that applied to the real world, is that the Earth is round.

Nope.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »

Yep.

Nope.
Nope.
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
....can anyone explain how FE accounts for this?

If FET is correct, there must be a rational explanation.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »
....can anyone explain how FE accounts for this?

If FET is correct, there must be a rational explanation.
Dark energy.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »

Nope.
Tom, single word posts are against the forum rules. But I am sure you know that.

So, if you disagree, please elaborate on exactly what you disagree with. And remember that specific post was not aimed at you or your model of FE, but at someone else's.

This it he ting I have found looking at the various explanations of FE. Each person has an alternative explanation of a few things between FE and RE, and for those they are usually valid. What happens though, is that outside those few situations, their explanations break down. That is no model of FE explains everything that is observed.

For instance, the bendy light model works to produce the horizon and the apparent curvature of the Earth, but it fails when it come to seasons, as bendy light would cause the distance we see the horizon to shrink by around half. So bendy light might explain the limited situation it was developed to solve, but when the consequences are applied to other situations where it would have an effect, it causes discrepancies between its predictions and reality.

It is like your perspective effect Tom, It makes a reasonable attempt to explain why things appear to shrink as they approach the horizon, but it can not explain their apparent rotation (as if they are tipping over in the direction of travel).

However, FEers have an explanation why their models fail: Conspiracy.

As a Zetetic Tom, you are required (as stated by Rowbotham - page 1 of ENaG) not to make any assumptions not supported by evidence. You also say that you base your acceptance of FET on evidence. If there is a conspiracy and they are covering up all evidence of the Flat Earth then, by definition, can not be any evidence for a flat Earth if there is no evidence for a Conspiracy.

As the claim about the conspiracy is that there is no evidence for it because it is a conspiracy, then if you accept a Flat Earth and a Conspiracy, you are violating the rules that Rowbotham set out as the Zetetic principal.

So either there is conclusive proof that there is a conspiracy and that the Earth is Flat (as opposed to any other conclusion from evidence), or it is hypocritical to accept both and still maintain you are a Zetetic.
Everyday household experimentation.

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
....should I just call this a win for RE?  Unless someone can explain the 'odometer/mile marker' issue in a manner that supports FET, it's a pretty huge hole in the theory...

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 07:24:04 PM »
Any time Tom posts, it's a win for RE.