Atheists! Are They Brave!

• 96 Replies

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
Re: Atheists! Are They Brave!
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
That must be Eric Bloedow's personal website.

?

WendalKane

• Perhaps we don't exist at all.
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
NO one can be 100% sure there is a god or there isnt a god.

There isnt enough evidence for either side.

Which is why i am agnostic.
and also why i never gave a fuck about religion.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

• Zeteticist, Moralist, Feminist
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »

The absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »

There's no evidence that there isn't a god and there's no evidence that there is a god.  You could use that argument on either side.  Either way, it's far beyond our current understanding.
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »

There's no evidence that there isn't a god and there's no evidence that there is a god.  You could use that argument on either side.  Either way, it's far beyond our current understanding.
One cannot prove a negative. That is within our current understanding.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »

I meant that god, if such a thing exists, is beyond our current understanding. 
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »

I meant that god, if such a thing exists, is beyond our current understanding. 
How do you know?

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
Many people claim to understand God very well. Are you suggesting they are wrong?

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »
Many people claim to understand God very well. Are you suggesting they are wrong?

I'm claiming no one knows and most likely no one ever will.  If there is a god, and he is omnipotent, then we will never fully understand him.  People who claim to understand a god, in my opinion, are fooling themselves and/or others.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »
Unless they're talking about the earlier heathen gods, who were just immortal humans with superpowers.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
Unless they're talking about the earlier heathen gods, who were just immortal humans with superpowers.

There were immortal humans!?  :o

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »

I'm claiming no one knows and most likely no one ever will.  If there is a god, and he is omnipotent, then we will never fully understand him.  People who claim to understand a god, in my opinion, are fooling themselves and/or others.
Yes, but you admit that you do not know this, so how are you any better?

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »

Did I claim I was better than anyone?  I don't recall if I did.  I was simply stating my views.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »

Did I claim I was better than anyone?  I don't recall if I did.  I was simply stating my views.
You claim those who claim to understand god are fooling themselves. That, in itself, is a claim that you understand at least part of god's nature (ie. that He is unknowable).

Very interesting viewpoint.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »

There were immortal humans!?  :o

Sometimes they weren't even immortal. Take the norse gods, as an example. Baldr died, but only since h?dr was an idiot who listened to a guy who is the god of mischief. I mean, he's blind, not retarded, come on...
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
You claim those who claim to understand god are fooling themselves. That, in itself, is a claim that you understand at least part of god's nature (ie. that He is unknowable).

Very interesting viewpoint.

So, you're saying that my belief that no one knows the true nature of god, if he actually exists, is a claim that I'm somehow better than someone else who believes they know and understand god?  I also never said that god is unknowable.  I said that we could not understand him.  As humans we do not have the capacity to absorb the information an omnipotent god would have.  I'm only claiming to know something about humans.

Sometimes they weren't even immortal. Take the norse gods, as an example. Baldr died, but only since h?dr was an idiot who listened to a guy who is the god of mischief. I mean, he's blind, not retarded, come on...

Lol. Wendy, you're so strange and interesting.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:24 PM »
So, you're saying that my belief that no one knows the true nature of god, if he actually exists, is a claim that I'm somehow better than someone else who believes they know and understand god?
That is not what I was saying at all. I was suggesting your viewpoint may be interpreted as contradictory and hypocritical by some people.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
So, you're saying that my belief that no one knows the true nature of god, if he actually exists, is a claim that I'm somehow better than someone else who believes they know and understand god?
That is not what I was saying at all. I was suggesting your viewpoint may be interpreted as contradictory and hypocritical by some people.

That's a complete misinterpretation of my viewpoint then.

?

Cheryl Wiesbaden

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2008, 12:14:23 PM »

Yes, I was hoping you would get the chance to elaborate.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »

No, it's a misinterpretation. lrn2english.

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »

You know what I meant!   >:(

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

Yes, I was hoping you would get the chance to elaborate.

I'm sorry.  Somehow, I missed this post.

I'm not sure how you want me to elaborate.  I'll just tell you exactly what I believe.

I believe that there is a possibility that a god does exist.  I believe that humans created "god" in their image, not the other way around.  I believe they did this to explain things that they did not, at the time, understand.  I believe that if there is indeed a god that we do not have the mind power or knowledge to understand it and what we call god now is not.  I belive that those who claim to know that there is or is not a god are foolish for assuming we know enough to know something as complex as that.  In short, I belive that we do not and will not ever know the true existence of god.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »

You know what I meant!   >:(

I do.  :-* But that's just because you told me in bed.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:42:35 PM by Wendy »

?

AdrianaT5363

• Absurdifier.
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
There's no evidence that either the Bible or the Koran is more correct than anything written about other religions.

I will refute you:
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/sounds_from_hell.htm

That sounds like a Halloween tape playing in a crowded tunnel or subway.
Quote from: Dead Kangaroo
Quote from: T.T. Monsieur
I felt it. Punish me some more, master!
I'm sorry, I just put the cheese grater into the dishwasher, can you wait?

Northrider5

• Winter Scourge
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2008, 06:23:20 AM »
Good God AbdulAziz, even when I was a wee bit younger I never posted stuff such as this. Alright, I'll spell it out for you: Truth is subjective, just like you are unable to see why Atheists believe what they do, Atheists are unable to see why you are a Theist and believe in the existence of God. Your 'common sense' as you so call it does not apply to everyone else on the damn planet. Get used to it and stop parading around with such a ' holier than thou' attitude. And for the love of Allah ( SWT), what's with the snide comment on Jews? Have you no humility? And please, try to argue logically without resorting to ' common sense'. And if you want to encourage people into at least looking at your religion in a positive light, don't look down on them.

And another thing, you don't know about the after-life, period. I believe in God, I believe in the after-life, I have faith and I expect an afterlife to happen, but do I know better than any other man what the after-life is like? Or if there even is one? No. You can have faith and believe with all your heart that it will happen, it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with absolute certainty.
Courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Muslim.

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:31 AM »
Good God AbdulAziz, even when I was a wee bit younger I never posted stuff such as this. Alright, I'll spell it out for you: Truth is subjective, just like you are unable to see why Atheists believe what they do, Atheists are unable to see why you are a Theist and believe in the existence of God. Your 'common sense' as you so call it does not apply to everyone else on the damn planet. Get used to it and stop parading around with such a ' holier than thou' attitude. And for the love of Allah ( SWT), what's with the snide comment on Jews? Have you no humility? And please, try to argue logically without resorting to ' common sense'. And if you want to encourage people into at least looking at your religion in a positive light, don't look down on them.

And another thing, you don't know about the after-life, period. I believe in God, I believe in the after-life, I have faith and I expect an afterlife to happen, but do I know better than any other man what the after-life is like? Or if there even is one? No. You can have faith and believe with all your heart that it will happen, it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen with absolute certainty.
Jews get bagged on so much that it's ridiculous. Aren't middle easterners pissed at them because we gave them Israel back?
I hate myself for coming here

Northrider5

• Winter Scourge
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:42 AM »

Jews get bagged on so much that it's ridiculous. Aren't middle easterners pissed at them because we gave them Israel back?

Most Muslims don't even know that the Jews were given Israel after WW2 by the U.N., at least not the ones I've spoken to.

Plus Jews don't just get bagged, it's so ridiculous that Hitler is sometimes regarded as a hero by the younger students.
Courtesy of your friendly neighbourhood Muslim.

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

Most Muslims don't even know that the Jews were given Israel after WW2 by the U.N., at least not the ones I've spoken to.

Plus Jews don't just get bagged, it's so ridiculous that Hitler is sometimes regarded as a hero by the younger students.
Its pretty sad for the Jews.
I hate myself for coming here

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2008, 05:05:13 AM »
What your doing that's making you dare to this challenge? and ready to get punished if you were wrong? I admit I cannot be like you guys, and I believe countless number of humans can't be like Atheists? what's the secret behind that guts?

Really, it's just about living an honest life.  I honestly can't believe in any of our earthly religions, so if that gets me sent to hell, so be it - at least I am doing what I think is right, which is more important than where my soul ends up anyway.

On a side note:  (specifically to Cheryl Wiesbaden's comments)

I have to agree with moonlit on this one.  Or, to my best understanding of her position that is.  If God is omnipotent, then how could we know God?  We could think we know God, but how would we know it's not just some other nearly omnipotent being, that wasn't involved in the whole creation of the universe?  Someone can claim to know God, but how can you know if they do?  Maybe it's God, maybe it's delusion, maybe it's Xenu. 

The fact is, any entity with powers approaching that of God, would be indistinguishable from God to anyone in our position.  As for those who know God - do you doubt David Koresh's faith?  He truly believed he knew god, but did he?  Do clerics that sanction suicide bombers blowing up kids know God as well as they believe they know God?  Did those that truly believed interracial marriage was an abomination against the Bible know God?

We have a whole world filled with people that believe they know God very well, and yet so many of them only believe "them and theirs" have it right.  It is not hypocritical to assess the reasonably as to whether a human can know God or not.  It's merely the application of observation and reason.