The Earth is round because

• 100 Replies
?

Corey B. Trotz

The Earth is round because
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
Suppose the North Pole is the center of a flat Earth.  The distance around the arctic circle would be much smaller, therefore, than the distance around the 40 degree north line.  There would be little difference of comparison for these circular distances between a flat Earth model and a round Earth model.  However, the problem with the flat Earth model arises when we apply the same rules past the 0 degree line. 

In a flat Earth model, as you go "south" the circumference would increase more and more until the antarctic circle would be the greatest circumference possible.  Why does a flight from Rio de Janiero to Cape Town take less time than a flight from Los Angeles to London?  Being in the "Southern Hemisphere," in the flat Earth model an arc of the same degree measure should be a much greater distance than one in the "Northern Hemisphere."

The answer is that 40 degrees North and 40 degrees South have the same circumference.  The Earth is not flat.  I win.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
Re: The Earth is round because
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:52:50 AM »
Have you measured the 40 degree north and south lines? 

?

Corey B. Trotz

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »
Not personally.  What does it matter?  Are you going to propose that the circumference 40 degree south line is significantly larger than the 40 degree north?

I am saying, suppose it is significantly larger and the Earth is therefore flat.  This would lead to absurdities in international air travel, in both its durations and directions.  The RE model fits actual flight times and directions perfectly.  The FE model does not.

?

Corey B. Trotz

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »
You can make up new models of a flat Earth of where exactly the continents are to account for certain flight durations, but whichever way you do it you can never account for all the flight durations, and if you do, then the flight turns will be off.  When I take off from Memphis to Amsterdam, I am not making this ridiculous 270 degree turn to make the flight duration 10 hours.  No, I am traveling north across the continental U.S. for a little while and then we take a 90 degree turn and go east across the Atlantic.  That is all there is to it.  The RE model fits flight durations and velocity changes perfectly.  The FE model has to propose government conspiracies, or propose flight patterns that planes clearly do not follow.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
Not personally.  What does it matter?  Are you going to propose that the circumference 40 degree south line is significantly larger than the 40 degree north?

Why yes.  But without actual measurements, we do not know a thing.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:35 PM »
All you need is the speed of the plane.
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
We can also use ratios to work out thinks in lieu of direct measurements.

As we know that the Circle on a flat Earth in the south Hemiplane will, by mathematical necessity, be larger and a circle in the Northern Hemiplane, we know that it should take longer to travel or require the plane to move faster when flying between two points in the Southern Hemiplane.

Now, as planes travel both ways, we can rule out any air currents that might be influencing the planes as these air currents would cause planes travelling on one direction to makes the RE predicted times, but in the other direction they would not. As both directions fit RE times, we can rule out any air currents (and if you had two air currents one going one way and the other going the other way, they would cause massive amounts of turbulence that would be detected, and even be strong enough to knock the planes out of the air - and as they aren't knocked out of the air, then there is not that much turbulence out there, definitely not enough to account for two high speed jet streams passing one another).
Everyday household experimentation.

?

Fileffel

• Member of the Sam Jackson Alliance
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 12:03:38 AM »
*Facepalm*

^ That was directed at the topic creator.
Robot Fidel Castro will rub is pube-beard all over your ignorant capitalist faces!

?

Oom19

• BLARG
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

Why yes.  But without actual measurements, we do not know a thing.

Measure it to prove its flat then.  Since society generaly accepts that its round, you really have to prove to us its flat.  I have never seen real evidence, only speculation.
Listening to the FE'ers try to disprove this is like watching a train derailment in slow motion...

(I have no theory, my life is now dedicated to the destruction of the FET)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:51:54 PM »
Measure it to prove its flat then.  Since society generaly accepts that its round, you really have to prove to us its flat.  I have never seen real evidence, only speculation.

It has already been measured and proven through test, trial, and experiment. Read Earth Not a Globe and the other Flat Earth Literature referenced in my signature link.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
The earth has been proven flat so well, even an RE'er must not deny its flatness.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »

It has already been measured and proven through test, trial, and experiment. Read Earth Not a Globe and the other Flat Earth Literature referenced in my signature link.

Your flat earth literature is a joke. It has been discredited too many times to be considered worthy of admission into debate.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »

Experiments that were later shown by a qualified surveyor to point to a round earth, something FE refuses to acknowledge.  Just like you refuse to acknowledge any evidence that contradicts the FE model.  Show me evidence of a conspiracy Tom.

Rowbatham never explained midnight sun at the poles.  Care to join my discussion Tom?  It's been almost a week and FE has been silent.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25214.0

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
Experiments that were later shown by a qualified surveyor to point to a round earth, something FE refuses to acknowledge.

Actually, it didn't. Both Wallace and Hampden walked away from the wager claiming that their own side had won.

The wager between the two men was for a year's worth of pay. How is a large bet between two men concrete proof for anything?

Rowbatham never explained midnight sun at the poles.

Sure he did. It doesn't happen. There is no midnight sun in Antarctica.

Read Earth Not a Globe.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:04:45 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Again, read Earth Not a Globe.

You're not listening:
Your flat earth literature is a joke. It has been discredited too many times to be considered worthy of admission into debate.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 04:22:36 PM »
Proof? Who discredited it? You?

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
Proof?

Do a search. Alternatively, I propose a challenge. You submit a page, any page, from ENaG, and I'll point out either a scientific error or an unsurported claim.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
Proof?

Do a search. Alternatively, I propose a challenge. You submit a page, any page, from ENaG, and I'll point out either a scientific error or an unsurported claim.

So you don't have any proof that ENAG was discredited, then?

Thought so.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »
Proof?

So you don't have any proof that ENAG was discredited, then?

Thought so.

PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY, PUSSY,
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
Proof? Who discredited it? You?
-Yes, I have already shown myself that ships/cities/drilling platforms on the horizon cannot be restored by any powerful telescope.
-I have posted a thread showing that Rowbotham's numbers could not have been accurate to the nearest inch, or even foot, based on his starting data so he must by lying or hiding data.
-I have explained the flaws of experiments relying on tools such as levels.

-Then there's the fact that thousands of non-government, non-conspiracy people have witnessed midnight sun at the poles.
-Your spotlight-sun model cannot explain the illumination phases of other planets.
-The orbits of other planets are consistent anywhere in the world, something that is impossible on a flat earth (along with vertical orbits without colliding with the flat earth).
-Bendy light is not only a worthless theory with no evidence at all, but it cannot explain the perception of stars at different locations at night, nor why the sun cannot be seen, nor the angle of the sun's rising and setting positions to the north pole on the equinox.
-You have not provided a valid, evidence-backed explanation of how we are traveling at vastly different speeds in the northern and southern hemisphere.
-You have not explained how 'the ice wall' can be circumnavigated in such a short time. The 'peninsula' explanation doesn't work, because than a ship would not end up back where it started.
-You have not provided a valid explanation of how the sun defies the laws of physics by traveling much slower above the Tropic of Cancer and much faster above the Tropic of Capricorn.
-You have not explained how odometers could possibly by tricked by the conspiracy.

I will add more as they come to me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:38:01 PM by Perfect Circle »
Like the sun, the stars are also expanding and contracting their diameter as they spin around the hub every six months.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 05:37:07 PM »
I still don't see any proof that Rowbotham's work was discredited or disproved.

How about bringing some actual contradicting evidence to the table?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:51:42 PM by Tom Bishop »

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »
I still don't see any proof that Rowbotham's work was discredited.

How about respond to my threads and posts, you know, the ones you've been conveniently ignoring?

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »

ENaG claims the Nile drops by only a foot. In actuality, it drops 400 meters. If the Nile dropped by only a foot, it wouldn't flow.

How about respond to my threads and posts, you know, the ones you've been conveniently ignoring?

Would be nice, TB. YOu do tend to ignore contradicting evidence.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
ENaG claims the Nile drops by only a foot. In actuality, it drops 400 meters. If the Nile dropped by only a foot, it wouldn't flow.

Where does ENaG say that the Nile drops by only a foot?

Would be nice, TB. YOu do tend to ignore contradicting evidence.

What contradicting evidence? I haven't seen you guys present any evidence for your claims period.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »

Alfred Russel Wallace and John Hampden performed an experiment on the Bedford level with independent verification that the surface of water is curved, in disagreement with Parallax's findings.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
What contradicting evidence? I haven't seen you guys present any evidence for your claims period.

I can't be bothered to go searching for evidence now. Pick a page, any page, and link to it, and I'll tell you why it's wrong.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 06:03:07 PM »
Alfred Russel Wallace and John Hampden performed an experiment on the Bedford level with independent verification that the surface of water is curved, in disagreement with Parallax's findings.

Both Wallace and Hampden walked away from the wager claiming that their own side had won.

The wager between the two men was for a year's worth of pay. How is a large bet between two men concrete proof for anything?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:05:15 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
I can't be bothered to go searching for evidence now.

Thanks. I knew you didn't have any.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:06:09 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
I can't be bothered to go searching for evidence now.

Thanks. I knew you didn't have any.

Alright, I'll bite. In this thread, Rowbotham's claim to understand physics is completely destroyed.

To name but a few of his errors, he:
- claims that momentum is a force.
- assumes an object loses all momentum when it reaches the top of it's path.
- fails to use boundary condition reasoning to spot his errors.
- doesn't perform a control experiment (or even consider one), which is what the OP did.
- states (incorrectly) that a falling object takes a diagonal course, not a parabolic one.

Perfect Circle

• You are a pirate!
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 06:24:46 PM »
You still ignored my threads:
Planetary illumination, orbits and transit: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25251.0
Bendy light: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25219.0
The accuracy of Rowbotham: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25098.0
The flaw of experiments assuming a flat horizontal: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=25117.0

Then there's the threads about the equinox, the sun defying the laws of physics and drastically changing speed throughout the seasons, etc.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:26:35 PM by Perfect Circle »