A question aimed at pro-lifers

• 243 Replies
?

Dark Knight

• There are no athiests in Foxholes
Re: A question aimed at pro-lifers
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2008, 08:08:35 PM »
He who goes to bed with itchy but, wakes up with stinky finger.

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 08:15:24 PM »
And I have spent a lot of time I NICU's.   

I guess you didn't get the subliminal message in that telling you to stop breeding, your genes suck.
Says the person who believes the Earth is flat.

When did I say I believed the earth was flat?

You people need to seriously stop making assumptions about me.

They are if you choose one definition over another.

Well, you have to choose the one that's of the right context. That involves more facts though.
And there you have it.

There's only one definition for fetus and baby, though. So at that point it's no longer opinion, nor do you have a choice.

You lose.

The string isn't about the definition for fetus, it was a discussion on if it was right to destroy a fetus, particularly a late term fetus.  It was found that some people think that it is ok to destroy a late term fetus even at 39 weeks due to its definition only.  That is were our main difference is.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
And I have spent a lot of time I NICU's.   

I guess you didn't get the subliminal message in that telling you to stop breeding, your genes suck.
Says the person who believes the Earth is flat.

When did I say I believed the earth was flat?

You people need to seriously stop making assumptions about me.

They are if you choose one definition over another.

Well, you have to choose the one that's of the right context. That involves more facts though.
And there you have it.

There's only one definition for fetus and baby, though. So at that point it's no longer opinion, nor do you have a choice.

You lose.

The string isn't about the definition for fetus, it was a discussion on if it was right to destroy a fetus, particularly a late term fetus.  It was found that some people think that it is ok to destroy a late term fetus even at 39 weeks due to its definition only.  That is were our main difference is.

So you are trying to infer that time takes part in what defines a fetus and a baby?

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »

[/quote]

So you are trying to infer that time takes part in what defines a fetus and a baby?
[/quote]

No, again definition is not the objective.  The issue is that during the string it was stated that any fetus is ok to abort.  And that if the Fetus is 11 weeks old or 40 weeks old has no bearing, as long as it is a fetus, it is ok to abort.  To base a decision off of that is blind.  The difference between a 10 week old fetus and a 40 week fetus is huge. 

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #214 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:12 AM »
Since when am I divito?

Since you entered a dream.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #215 on: December 02, 2008, 07:42:46 AM »
No, again definition is not the objective.  The issue is that during the string it was stated that any fetus is ok to abort.  And that if the Fetus is 11 weeks old or 40 weeks old has no bearing, as long as it is a fetus, it is ok to abort.  To base a decision off of that is blind.  The difference between a 10 week old fetus and a 40 week fetus is huge. 

Except for the fact that it's still a fetus.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #216 on: December 02, 2008, 12:46:57 PM »

Yup it is a fetus, and since it is still a fetus, even at 40 weeks, you feel it is ok to still abort?

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

Yup it is a fetus, and since it is still a fetus, even at 40 weeks, you feel it is ok to still abort?

I do, since by definition it's still a parasite.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2008, 12:59:06 PM »
I don't but only to punish people for being so damn indecisive. Other than that, I don't care.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #219 on: December 02, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »

ok, so let me get this straight I'll play along some more.  So, say a mother has twins.  The first baby is delivered, umbilical cord cut and laying in her arms.  The second is still not delivered yet.  The mother decides she doesn't want the babys and smothers the first baby and then has the doctor abort the second baby.  Was murder committed 1 time, 2 times or not at all?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #220 on: December 02, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
Once, smothering the baby already born is murder.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #221 on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »

ok, so let me get this straight I'll play along some more.  So, say a mother has twins.  The first baby is delivered, umbilical cord cut and laying in her arms.  The second is still not delivered yet.  The mother decides she doesn't want the babys and smothers the first baby and then has the doctor abort the second baby.  Was murder committed 1 time, 2 times or not at all?

Your personal text pisses me off for some reason.
Read the FAQS.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #222 on: December 02, 2008, 05:48:35 PM »

I doubt that any sane woman will abort in the delivery room. If I recall, there are also laws which prevent third term abortions.

Please, try again.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:50:55 PM by Hara Taiki »

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #223 on: December 02, 2008, 06:12:07 PM »

Under U.S. law twice. 3rd trimester abortions are illegal fuckwit.

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »

I know that, the question is on a basis of his idea that a fetus isn't a baby till it is born and that it is ok to abort.  It is a moral question dumbass.  read the string.

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »

I doubt that any sane woman will abort in the delivery room. If I recall, there are also laws which prevent third term abortions.

Please, try again.

This is a moral question dumbass, I is asked because of the answers that you gave me that any fetus can be aborted and that your ok with it.
Nice try.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »
You didn't ask a moral question. You asked how many murders took place, which is defined by law.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »
If she was going to abort, again, she wouldn't do it in the third trimester. Also, she wouldn't kill the born child, she would give it up for adoption instead if she didn't want them.

Learn to use some logic, man.

But, to answer your ridiculous scenario, by definition of the law and not morals, two murders would have been committed. I cannot give you a moral answer because all logic prevents such a scenario from occurring.

Also, it's called a thread, retard, not a string.

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Fine, just as long as it is in agreement that a full term child at 40 weeks is also a fetus before it has been born because that is also the definition.  And in that case as long as it is still a "fetus" you are ok with it being aborted.

Personally, I'm actually okay with the death of anyone. In the case of abortion though, I believe that until a fetus is its own separate entity (umbilical cord cut), it does not deserve rights as an individual human, because it's not an individual.

Well saying someone must stop at stop signs and drive the speed limit is authoritarian and hypocritical as well.

Yes, it's authoritarian. No it's not hypocritical. I'm calling your stance hypocritical because just as a fertilized egg contributes to a potential human, so does sperm. For someone who is pro-life, all sperm should then be kept viable. Anyone who destroys any sperm is a murderer.

Again changing the terminology,  and again using a quote for "House".  Now that you changed the term from baby, to parasitic entity.  I am getting dizzy from the circles your speaking in.

I haven't changed terminology, I simply cite similarities and equivalencies. And it wasn't from House. I came up with this stuff in high school (as have many people), long before House ever became an idea for a show.

Nope, I was just going off what you feel and  as YOU stated in YOUR Quote in the last thread, it seems that you think THIS  since you provided me with those stipulations.  YOU stated that YOU feel that they cannot think, see , feel or choese something and I provided you proof that they do at 23 weeks.  I like how you cut the quote off to serve your need,  Next time you quote someone, you should provide the entire quote because that was as direct quote from you.  This is getting funny.   Please re-read the last 2 threads so you can rememer what your beliefs are.

I've stated my beliefs in the first reply above.

Arbitrary?  Last I heard, each only have 23 chromosomes.  That to is a fact so you may want to consider that as you, and I quote "simply use definitions and facts to make conclusions and choices."

It's arbitrary in that you make chromosomes the basis for being a human versus countless other things.

And you are missing the point also.  Killing someone due to a change its terminology, no matter what it is, is killing someone.

I said you can call it killing someone, I just like using the most accurate word to describe this "someone." Calling it a person and applying rights is just an appeal to emotion, rather than a valid argument.

nuff said..... again

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Fine, just as long as it is in agreement that a full term child at 40 weeks is also a fetus before it has been born because that is also the definition.  And in that case as long as it is still a "fetus" you are ok with it being aborted.

Personally, I'm actually okay with the death of anyone. In the case of abortion though, I believe that until a fetus is its own separate entity (umbilical cord cut), it does not deserve rights as an individual human, because it's not an individual.

Well saying someone must stop at stop signs and drive the speed limit is authoritarian and hypocritical as well.

Yes, it's authoritarian. No it's not hypocritical. I'm calling your stance hypocritical because just as a fertilized egg contributes to a potential human, so does sperm. For someone who is pro-life, all sperm should then be kept viable. Anyone who destroys any sperm is a murderer.

Again changing the terminology,  and again using a quote for "House".  Now that you changed the term from baby, to parasitic entity.  I am getting dizzy from the circles your speaking in.

I haven't changed terminology, I simply cite similarities and equivalencies. And it wasn't from House. I came up with this stuff in high school (as have many people), long before House ever became an idea for a show.

Nope, I was just going off what you feel and  as YOU stated in YOUR Quote in the last thread, it seems that you think THIS  since you provided me with those stipulations.  YOU stated that YOU feel that they cannot think, see , feel or choese something and I provided you proof that they do at 23 weeks.  I like how you cut the quote off to serve your need,  Next time you quote someone, you should provide the entire quote because that was as direct quote from you.  This is getting funny.   Please re-read the last 2 threads so you can rememer what your beliefs are.

Arbitrary?  Last I heard, each only have 23 chromosomes.  That to is a fact so you may want to consider that as you, and I quote "simply use definitions and facts to make conclusions and choices."

It's arbitrary in that you make chromosomes the basis for being a human versus countless other things.

And you are missing the point also.  Killing someone due to a change its terminology, no matter what it is, is killing someone.

I said you can call it killing someone, I just like using the most accurate word to describe this "someone." Calling it a person and applying rights is just an appeal to emotion, rather than a valid argument.

nuff said..... again

So you agree with divito that you are merely denying facts, replacing them with an appeal to emotion to absolve yourself from having to actually argue the facts that in the case of pregnancy, a woman has the right to choose if she wants to abort or not?

Red letter day for divito, I'd say.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 10:04:21 AM by Hara Taiki »

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »

I know that, the question is on a basis of his idea that a fetus isn't a baby till it is born and that it is ok to abort.  It is a moral question dumbass.  read the string.

I think it is wrong to kill the fetus when it would be a baby in nearly no time, with no additional risk to the mother.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »

That's every day.
objectively good

?

T.T. Monsieur

« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:33 AM »

That's every day.
Hubris is an appeal to emotion, divito... ::)

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
Hubris is an appeal to emotion, divito... ::)

Relative.
objectively good

?

T.T. Monsieur

« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2008, 10:16:32 AM »

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

I think it is wrong to kill the fetus when it would be a baby in nearly no time, with no additional risk to the mother.

Agreed, That is the point I was trying to make. 

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

Well that is no reason not to have an abortion. That is just evidence against very late term abortions which are illegal. Congrats.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »

But we're discussing abortion in a logical scenario, not one of those near impossible/illogical what-if scenarios, so your point is, well, pointless.

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »

nuff said..... again

So you agree with divito that you are merely denying facts, replacing them with an appeal to emotion to absolve yourself from having to actually argue the facts that in the case of pregnancy, a woman has the right to choose if she wants to abort or not?

Depends on what you would say is a fact, If a fetus is in fact not a baby, or another term for a baby fine.  If you feel that the fact that a late term fetus is not a baby then that is your decision, not fact.   The fact of what the definition of a fetus is has no bearing on the the choice of if it is ok to abort. 

?

Dark Knight

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

This is a scenerio that was presented by you