Chartered space flights.

• 76 Replies
?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
Re: Chartered space flights.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
Please, explain. I've been in an airplane and the earth seems pretty spherical to me.

THIS is exactly the point. We've had at least two professional pilots on here state emphatically that it is not possible to see the curvature of the Earth from a commercial plane. We had someone post a photo from an airplane window of the "curvature", and I drew a straight line across it to demonstrate that it was an optical illusion, and the actual horizon was a straight line.

If you're wrong about being able to see the curvature from a plane, then why can't the space tourists be wrong about seeing it too?

Who are these pilots? Are they even really pilots? Maybe they are just fes imposters trying to trick us into believing that the Earth is flat.

Except they were RE advocates.

Here's the thread, enjoy:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=23109.0

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
How close is the camera to the edge of the sun's spotlight in that image?

Judging by the fact that the photo was taken during midday, and around summertime for the Northern hemisphere, I would say that it's quite a distance from the edge of the spotlight.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
How do you know that is a NASA image?

I've seen images from the Concorde. That isn't one of them. The flight never breaks into earth orbit.

Judging by the fact that the photo was taken during midday, and around summertime for the Northern hemisphere, I would say that it's quite a distance from the edge of the spotlight.

What are you talking about? The edge of the sun's spotlight passes overhead every single day.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:00:04 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Earthquakesdontbend

• Earthquakes don't bend.
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 10:47:36 PM »
About that straight line you drew:

Did you look at the atmosphere?

You can see that you have two magical "spaces" below your red line at each end, which suggests a slight curve. Also, in case you really want to prove/disprove that, you need an image of something smooth, like the sea.
I was thinking of putting up the "top ten shapes of the earth". I've got Pyramid Earth and Cubic Earth so far...

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:32 PM »
What makes you think that they won't want the money upfront?

The contract that you sign sets out the time schedule for payments.  A significant portion of these payments are after you have begun the training.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 05:37:47 AM »
What are you talking about? The edge of the sun's spotlight passes overhead every single day.

In a FE model, at midday, an observer will be as far as they can be from the edge of the spotlight as is possible for their latitude. The photos were taken around midday. Therefore, the camera is about as far as It can get from the edge of the spotlight.

Unless, of course, spotlights now operate is some new way that I've yet to see explained.

ASK

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »
Please, explain. I've been in an airplane and the earth seems pretty spherical to me.

THIS is exactly the point. We've had at least two professional pilots on here state emphatically that it is not possible to see the curvature of the Earth from a commercial plane. We had someone post a photo from an airplane window of the "curvature", and I drew a straight line across it to demonstrate that it was an optical illusion, and the actual horizon was a straight line.

If you're wrong about being able to see the curvature from a plane, then why can't the space tourists be wrong about seeing it too?

Who are these pilots? Are they even really pilots? Maybe they are just fes imposters trying to trick us into believing that the Earth is flat.

well looking at that thread and the pictures. It is clear in the second picture that the earth is round. Look at the red line. It is straight and the Earth bends. Thanks for proving our point.
I really hope this website is a joke.

If not please dont tell your kids that the earth is flat.

ASK

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »
How do you know that is a NASA image?

I've seen images from the Concorde. That isn't one of them. The flight never breaks into earth orbit.

How do you know that the images you saw were really from the Concorde? Look at your image from that weather balloon. The Concorde goes twice as high.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
What makes you think that they won't want the money upfront?

The contract that you sign sets out the time schedule for payments.  A significant portion of these payments are after you have begun the training.

Scroll up: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/09/25/2008-09-25_daisuke_enomoto_sues_space_adventures_fo.html

A man is suing Space Adventures because he paid 21 million upfront and never received his flight to space.

In a FE model, at midday, an observer will be as far as they can be from the edge of the spotlight as is possible for their latitude. The photos were taken around midday. Therefore, the camera is about as far as It can get from the edge of the spotlight.

Really? How do you know that the photos were taken mid-day?

How do you know what the spotlight of the sun would look like even if the images were taken at exactly mid-day?

How do you know that the images you saw were really from the Concorde? Look at your image from that weather balloon. The Concorde goes twice as high.

Uh, no.  The images from the amateur dirigible were taken over 30km in altitude. The Concorde reaches a maximum altitude of 60,000 feet.

More like the dirigible went twice as high as the Concorde.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:40:27 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »

well looking at that thread and the pictures. It is clear in the second picture that the earth is round. Look at the red line. It is straight and the Earth bends. Thanks for proving our point.

No, the Earth appears to bend because your perspective makes it look that way. If you look at the line it follows the horizon exactly. We're not concerned with whether the objects in the foreground look like they're on a curved surface, but just the shape of the horizon.

Also, go a few posts down and you'll find this:

Ok Im going to yell a little here so that everyone can hear me.

YOU CANNOT SEE THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH FROM A COMMERCIAL AIRLINER.  CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T.  IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.   If you think you see a curve it is most likely because the window is causing it.  Either from the fuselage of the airplane being curved or the window itself for whatever reason.  End of story.

I have got more flight time at altitude than anyone on this board.  I guarantee it.

So you think Wardogg is part of the conspiracy? As far as I know he's a REer.

ASK

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
Lookin at those pictures and the pictures Tom posted from the balloon the Earth is clearly round.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
From the edge of space one is looking down at the distinct circular spotlight of the sun.

Example: http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Curvature results from the fact that on a flat earth we are looking down at the circular spotlight of the sun. A circle is always curved in two dimensions.

The distant continents of the earth are still tens of thousands of miles away horizontally from the observer at the edge of space, and thus beyond the resolution of the human eye and merged with the line of the horizon, indiscernible and faded with the thickness of the atmosphere. This is why the view is limited to the immediate vicinity below the observer, and why the land fades into a blueish fog as it recedes.

We can confirm that we are looking down at the sun's circle of light upon the earth by noting that shots from amateur high altitude balloons show an elliptical horizon. If the earth were a globe, curving downwards in three dimensions, all curvature seen in photographs would appear as an arc of a circle. However, curvature does not appear as an arc of a circle.

ASK

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 02:51:14 PM »
Look at the Images from the balloon. The Eart is round.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »
Proof?

I just see the sun's circular area of light.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:02:50 PM by Tom Bishop »

ASK

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 03:12:06 PM »
Proof?

You are not the brightest crayon in the box are you?

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
if you're looking down at a spotlight and you're not exactly at its centre you won't see a circle but an elliptical object. only a spherical object appears round from every possible angle of view. so i'd say by stating an circular area of light you're actually admitting that the earth is round.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:41:55 PM by iznih »

ASK

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
if you?re looking down at a spotlight and you?re not exactly at its centre you won?t see a circle but an elliptical object. only a spherical object appears round from every possible angle of view. so i?d say by stating an circular area of light you?re actually admitting that the earth is round.

Ty

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
Ty
Now go buy a baseball cap and stop being so faggotly.

ASK

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »
Ty

Lol your just mad because the Earth is round.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
if you're looking down at a spotlight and you're not exactly at its centre you won't see a circle but an elliptical object. only a spherical object appears round from every possible angle of view. so i'd say by stating an circular area of light you're actually admitting that the earth is round.

We can confirm that we are looking down at the sun's circle of light upon the earth by noting that shots from amateur high altitude balloons show an elliptical horizon. If the earth were a globe, curving downwards in three dimensions, all curvature seen in photographs would appear as an arc of a circle. However, curvature does not appear as an arc of a circle.

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
i wonder where you spotted anything elliptical in these pictures ???

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 04:07:09 PM »
Ty

I know it is, you angry hat shy boy band reject.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »
Proof?

From an altitude of 30,000m, the horizon is approximately 625 KM away.  Seeing as the balloon flight was performed in the early afternoon, that would make for a pretty small spotlight.  My guess it that it would be far smaller than the amount of daylight observed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:10:54 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ASK

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
Ty

Lol talking shit on the internet is like winning the special olympics

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
Ty

Lol talking shit on the internet is like winning the special olympics
Who said anything about winning?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
i wonder where you spotted anything elliptical in these pictures ???

The same way I didn't see an arc of a circle in the images. I looked at them.

From an altitude of 30,000m, the horizon is approximately 625 KM away.  Seeing as the balloon flight was performed in the early afternoon, that would make for a pretty small spotlight.  My guess it that it would be far smaller than the amount of daylight observed.

Really? How did you estimate that at an altitude of over 30 km (100,000 feet) that the distance to the horizon would be only 625 km away?

Did you use an RE horizon calculator to arrive at that figure?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:22:35 PM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »

Really? How did you estimate that at an altitude of over 30km (100,000 feet) that the distance to the horizon would be only 625 km away?  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon#Approximate_formulas
For SI units, the straight line of sight distance d in kilometers to the true horizon on earth is approximately

d = sqrt(13h)

where h is the height above ground or sea level (in meters) of the eye of the observer. Examples:
    * For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 m (average eye-level height), the horizon appears at a distance of 4.7 km.
    * For an observer standing on a hill or tower of 100 m in height, the horizon appears at a distance of 36 km.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
Oh, so you did use RE calculations to suppose that the horizon would be 625 km away on a Flat Earth.  ::)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
Oh, so you did use RE calculations to suppose that the horizon would be 625 km away on a Flat Earth.

Well, it seems to agree with the bendy light theory.  That is unless you have a more accurate FE formula that I should be using.

ASK

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
Oh, so you did use RE calculations to suppose that the horizon would be 625 km away on a Flat Earth.

Well, it seems to agree with the bendy light theory.  That is unless you have a more accurate FE formula that I should be using.

Ofcourse he doesnt. Its all made up. The earth is round.