I wrote a paper...

• 41 Replies
?

Fileffel

• Member of the Sam Jackson Alliance
Re: I wrote a paper...
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
Yeah, thanks. I'm more worried about the math involved than the english. XD
Robot Fidel Castro will rub is pube-beard all over your ignorant capitalist faces!

?

Moonlit

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The Rebound
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »
You should be more worried about job availability.
You think that a photograph is indisputable evidence?  Would you like me to show you a photograph of Barack Obama having sex with a gorilla?

?

Fileffel

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
The video game industry is a growing business. I'm not too worried. I dont mind working for whoever in the event that places are full anyway.
Robot Fidel Castro will rub is pube-beard all over your ignorant capitalist faces!

IHOP

• lrn2Grammar
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
ya if you get decent marks you shouldn't have a problem
Anal leakage is the result of the relaxation of the anal sphinctor

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 06:30:24 PM »
How quickly you forget, Tom.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=20398.0
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=19360.msg382412#msg382412

Can you show me where someone went out and made triangulation calculations at different far off latitudes?

How do those threads mean anything if a Round Earth is only assumed and the the authors neglect to collect data for their hypothesis?

Johannes

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »

Can you show me where someone went out and made triangulation calculations at different far off latitudes?

How do those threads mean anything if a Round Earth is only assumed and the the authors neglect to collect data for their hypothesis?
If you assume the sun is in the same place at the moment of the calculations it is unneeded to actually confirm these results in an FE model. The request for proof here beyond mathematical proof is absurd...

thanks to markjo and fredo i am now converted to RE ...

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »

Tom, you do have a short memory, don't you?  Does this look familiar?
On March 21-22 the sun is directly overhead at the equator and appears 45 degrees above the horizon at 45 degrees north and south latitude. As the angle of sun above the earth at the equator is 90 degrees while it is 45 degrees at 45 degrees north or south latitude, it follows that the angle at the sun between the vertical from the horizon and the line from the observers at 45 degrees north and south must also be 45 degrees. The result is two right angled triangles with legs of equal length. The distance between the equator and the points at 45 degrees north or south is approximately 3,000 miles. Ergo, the sun would be an equal distance above the equator.

Using observable data I've demonstrated that the sun is 3,000 miles away on the Flat Earth model.

Can you show me where you (or anyone) made the observations that you referred in your triangulation calculation?  I used your same methodology, just at different latitudes and got different results that you can't explain.  It's not my fault that you posted a flawed experiment.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 01:47:48 AM »
The Flat Earth Society actively uses Eratosthenes' experiments to explain features of the FE model. Here's a link which explains the idea. The explanation is at the very bottom.

Tom, the very last sentence from your linked article:

We conclude that the flat earth/near sun model does not work.

Thanks, Tom.  That's all we needed to know.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 03:05:24 AM »
Can you show me where you (or anyone) made the observations that you referred in your triangulation calculation?  I used your same methodology, just at different latitudes and got different results that you can't explain.  It's not my fault that you posted a flawed experiment.

So who went out and studied the position and angle of the sun at your different latitude?

How can you assume where the sun is at a certain latitude without any collected data or evidence?

I'll tell you once again Tom, don't quote sources that refute your claims. From your own link:

We conclude that the flat earth/near sun model does not work.

Anyone interested in why Tom's guff really is nonsense should read the last section Tom so kindly provided, titled "An Alternative Model".

The author isn't claiming that it doesn't work because of the triangulated distance of the sun at different latitudes. He's questioning why the sun does not appear to change diameter as it recedes, a whole different subject.

The author did not read Earth Not a Globe.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:08:07 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 03:43:45 AM »
So who went out and studied the position and angle of the sun at your different latitude?

How can you assume where the sun is at a certain latitude without any collected data or evidence?

I have done it.  If you want hard data, I can do it again today.

The author isn't claiming that it doesn't work because of the triangulated distance of the sun at different latitudes. He's questioning why the sun does not appear to change diameter as it recedes, a whole different subject.

It is a legitimate question.  Even if the Sun is a spotlight as hypothesized by the FES, it would have size change based on distance.

Imagine that you are in a dark room and your friend is shining a flashlight at you while you are standing next to a wall.  As your friend moves farther away, the  apparent size of the light would decrease.  This models a Sun with the light focused by a lens, but that isn't what we observe.

The author did not read Earth Not a Globe.

That probably wouldn't change his opinion since the claims in ENaG conflict with the observations that he has made. 

Where does ENaG discuss the fact that the size of the Sun does not change?  I must have missed that section.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 05:24:19 AM »

Exactly the same way you did.  My method of data collection was no different from your's, yet mine is wrong?  Tsk tsk Tom.  How is your assumption of a near sun/flat earth any more valid than my assumption of a distant sun/round earth when neither of us collected data or evidence?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Fileffel

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 11:53:29 PM »
Wow, this topic went pretty far. I must say though, my teacher didn't believe that the International Flat Earth Society existed at first. After I told her about it, she got really frustrated, but also thought it was kinda funny at the same time.

But that class ended along with November and now I'm on to Calc/Trig and Programming 1.

Calc/Trig is kind of a joke, for all that we're going to be using it for, but the programming class is really interesting. It's fun to make simple programs. XD