I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION

• 17 Replies
I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Hey Flat-Earthers

So i was doodling today and i came up with another whole in your theory.
the earth as a sphere is thinner at the poles than in the equator, so therefore how could the earth be a flat, even circle? it'd hale to look like pac-man

Re: I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »
Hey Flat-Earthers

the earth as a sphere is thinner at the poles than in the equator, so therefore how could the earth be a flat, even circle? it'd hale to look like pac-man

What do you mean "thinner at the poles than in the equator"
oh so now the moon is in on the conspiracy too?

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 02:05:52 PM »
Hey Flat-Earthers

Sup.

Thats nice.

???

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
I think he means... This is the first noob I've been unable to translate. I need some time to think.
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
I think he's referring to the fact that the Earth is an oblate spheroid that has a smaller radius at the poles than the equator. Quite what he means by the pac-man remark is anybody's guess.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »
ok let me attempt to explain better

the earth is shapes like a sphere.    now going east to west, the earth is wider at the equator than at the pole.

therefore, if one was to translate the earth into a disk, the southpole in the disk would end up being wider than BOTH thew equator and the North Pole.   the only way this would make sence would be for the earth to have a wedge cut out of it, like pac man's mouth

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »

the earth is shapes like a sphere.    now going east to west, the earth is wider at the equator than at the pole.

therefore, if one was to translate the earth into a disk, the southpole in the disk would end up being wider than BOTH thew equator and the North Pole.   the only way this would make sence would be for the earth to have a wedge cut out of it, like pac man's mouth

I see! A translation is in order:

"Ok, allow me to demonstrate that I am not a lunatic.

The Earth is spherical, which means a line of latitude running East-West around the globe is longest at the equator, going to zero at the poles. However, if the Earth were a disc, the longest line of latitude would be at the South pole. RE and FE distances are incompatible.

This situation could be rectified by the disc having a larges, curved-wedge section cut out of it."

It's the southern hemisphere travel times argument again folks.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 05:48:33 PM »

The Earth is spherical, which means a line of latitude running East-West around the globe is longest at the equator, going to zero at the poles. However, if the Earth were a disc, the longest line of latitude would be at the South pole. RE and FE distances are incompatible.

This situation could be rectified by the disc having a larges, curved-wedge section cut out of it."

You mean how it takes the same amount of time to travel around the planet 40 degrees south or 40 degrees north of the equator but on a FE it should be different?
oh so now the moon is in on the conspiracy too?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
"Re: I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION"

Sounds like it belongs in the 'Questions and Clarification' section...
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=12.0

In either case, it has yet to be demonstrated that the Flat Earth does not conform to a stretched out version of RE.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »

*smacks head* I get it now!  Ast Onok is a moron!  I kinda suspected.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
You really know how to handle new members and boost the site's activity.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

inorite?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »

He probably deserves it if he's going to present "pac-man-earth" theory.. or is it a pizza with a slice missing?

Either way it would be a lot easier to prove/disprove the presence of the missing wedge than the great ice wall, surely?

?

zeroply

• Flat Earth believer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »

I liked the original better. When you translate it into English it seems somehow familiar and previously discussed.

MadDogX

• Resistor is fubar!
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »

Bring in the fish!
Quote from: Professor Gaypenguin
I want an Orion slave woman :(
Okay, I admit it.  The earth isn't flat.

MadDogX

• Resistor is fubar!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
*smacks head* I get it now!  Ast Onok is a moron!  I kinda suspected.

If you want new trolls to come to this forum you need to nurture and protect them.

Don't forget the feeding. It is of utmost importance.
Quote from: Professor Gaypenguin
I want an Orion slave woman :(
Okay, I admit it.  The earth isn't flat.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »

He probably deserves it if he's going to present "pac-man-earth" theory.. or is it a pizza with a slice missing?

Either way it would be a lot easier to prove/disprove the presence of the missing wedge than the great ice wall, surely?

its not a pac-man earth theory, its putting holes in the flat earth theory....

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:54:52 AM »
The only reason this question gets asked so much here is because no FEer has ever bothered to address it. At most we get a 'Well, we don't personally have accurate measurements so we can't be certain that it would take longer' or 'There's probably jet streams or something, whatever works', by which time the thread's derailed.