Explain?

• 19 Replies
Explain?
« on: June 03, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »
Why doesnt someone here hazard a guess as to what this conspiracy is? And explain to me in detail, the optical illution that creates sunrises and sunsets.

PS they didnt have photoshop in the 60's idiots.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

Explain?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 01:10:40 AM »
They had crayons and stuff though.

Also, search feature.

Explain?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 08:43:02 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
They had crayons and stuff though.

Also, search feature.

Jesus Christ! Will you people ever give a straightforward answer? EXPLAIN THE OPTICAL ILLUTION THAT CAUSES SUNRISES AND SUN SETS IN DETAIL.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Explain?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"
Jesus Christ! Will you people ever give a straightforward answer? EXPLAIN THE OPTICAL ILLUTION THAT CAUSES SUNRISES AND SUN SETS IN DETAIL.

Oh, hm.  Since your thread had a content-free title and you asked two totally unrelated questions in the first post, I guess we figured we were invited to answer whichever one we felt like, or none at all.

Probably since you also included a fact that you thought was supposed to make us go, "Oh, duh, I hadn't realized that powerful photograph editing software was not available to the general public before the advent of the personal computer.  I guess that proves that all those photos must be real after all, because clearly without the personal computer man is an incompetent staggering idiot," I guess we figured that the first question was more important to you.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Explain?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 11:07:43 PM »
Another thing is you can't expect us to spoon feed anything.  Bring something you've thought through very well and perhaps you might get a "straight" answer.

As for the conspiracy theory, this has been discussed many times.  There was one thread I remember posting in that had a viable discussion on it; you may want to read up on it there.  What was generally said was that a round earth is simply much more wonderful, colorful, and, well, imaginative than a flat one.  I believe I brought up the analogy of your parents telling you about Santa Claus.

But honestly, something like a conspiracy can never be unraveled until the conspirators come forward with their motives.  Until such a thing happens, you'd never know what exactly was going on.  I personally find a worldwide conspiracy to be somewhat weak in nature...but that's only because I haven't thought it through completely yet.

That's the thing here.  I myself don't find the conspiracy hugely viable because *I* haven't ironed out the details for myself.  Not because anyone else didn't provide enough information, but because I did not think it through enough.  We like people who think things through before they ask things.  It makes for a better discussion.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Explain?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 12:29:49 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"

Oh, hm.  Since your thread had a content-free title and you asked two totally unrelated questions in the first post, I guess we figured we were invited to answer whichever one we felt like, or none at all.

Probably since you also included a fact that you thought was supposed to make us go, "Oh, duh, I hadn't realized that powerful photograph editing software was not available to the general public before the advent of the personal computer.  I guess that proves that all those photos must be real after all, because clearly without the personal computer man is an incompetent staggering idiot," I guess we figured that the first question was more important to you.

There was no Photoshop in the 1960's. Why would they spend all that money on faking it when they could send up a guy for real for the same price?
quote="Dogplatter"]

LOL

Explain?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 01:27:34 AM »
You do realize that it was possible to doctor photographs before the invention of photoshop, don't you?

Especially when the subject of the photograph is something no one has ever seen before, such as the earth. It's much easier to trick the audience into believing your picture is real if they don't know what a legitimate picture would look like.

Explain?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:15:44 AM »
You do realize that it was possible to doctor photographs before the invention of photoshop, don't you?

Especially when the subject of the photograph is something no one has ever seen before, such as the earth. It's much easier to trick the audience into believing your picture is real if they don't know what a legitimate picture would look like.

Are you trying to tell me that for the last thousand years or so, there has been this huge conspiracy covering up the flat earth and noone, absolutely noone, has managed to come up with definative proof of the FE's existance?

Riiight :roll:
quote="Dogplatter"]

LOL

Explain?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 03:29:14 AM »
It's much easier to trick the audience into believing your picture is real if they don't know what a legitimate picture would look like.

True, except the picture is Earth, and the audience is the entire population of the planet. If they made up the spherical earth, they must have been geniuses because every single detail of the hoax is valid and one hundred percent believable.

Explain?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »
If every single detail of the "hoax" is valid and believable,

Why the hell do you contest it so much?

The FE model is full of many more holes than the "hoax" model.
 I Feel Like A One-Legged Man In An Ass Kicking Contest

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Explain?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 10:29:50 AM »
Quote from: "Solid_Granite"
True, except the picture is Earth, and the audience is the entire population of the planet.

This hardly makes the audience a body of experts on the subject.  For example, up until relatively recently (this century in fact) people believed the Earth would appear green from space.

Maybe if the pictures taken from space were of individual towns, then people would be better apt to distinguish truth from lies.  But the entire population of the planet doesn't have any perspective about the Earth as a whole, except that which they get from the government.

Explain?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 11:45:18 AM »
But the entire population of the planet doesn't have any perspective about the Earth as a whole, except that which they get from the government.

This is incorrect.
Ask a independent geologist/geographer.
Ask any independent individual who has been in space.

I know they was a team of people a while back that built their own rocket and flew it.

Explain?
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
I just read through this, and I noticed no one has answered the sunrise/sunset question thing yet.

The poster was right, you guys dodge questions like dodgers.

Explain?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 12:00:17 PM »
I just read through this, and I noticed no one has answered the sunrise/sunset question thing yet.

Er, I can try:

The world is a rotating sphere. One day is the period of that rotation. Since the rotation axis does not point to the sun, an observer on earth gets the illusion of the sun wandering across the sky from east to west. When the line setup by the observer and the earths center points in the direction of the sun, there is noon, when it points into the opposite direction, it is midnight, the sun is then hidden by the earth's body. When you can not see the sun it means that the earth is between the line set up by the sun and your location. The case in which the earth moves into the line between you and the sun we call sunset, the case in which it moves out again we call sunrise.

This explanation of course assumes a RE model.[/quote]
ife is great!

Explain?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »
Quote from: "deadlock"

Er, I can try:

The world is a rotating sphere. One day is the period of that rotation. Since the rotation axis does not point to the sun, an observer on earth gets the illusion of the sun wandering across the sky from east to west. When the line setup by the observer and the earths center points in the direction of the sun, there is noon, when it points into the opposite direction, it is midnight, the sun is then hidden by the earth's body. When you can not see the sun it means that the earth is between the line set up by the sun and your location. The case in which the earth moves into the line between you and the sun we call sunset, the case in which it moves out again we call sunrise.

This explanation of course assumes a RE model.
[/quote]

Oh I knew that.  Those are the facts.  I wanted the crazies to answer.

Explain?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 12:11:13 PM »
Hehe, ok, I am really loking forward to their explanation now
ife is great!

Explain?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 01:01:14 PM »
Youre most likely not gonna get one.

Anyone with the balls to answer you would have to be talking straight out of there ass.

Because the Flat Earth Model doesn't make any sense.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Explain?
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 10:09:10 AM »
Quote from: "Scruffy"
But the entire population of the planet doesn't have any perspective about the Earth as a whole, except that which they get from the government.

This is incorrect.
Ask a independent geologist/geographer.
Ask any independent individual who has been in space.

I know they was a team of people a while back that built their own rocket and flew it.

Normally I don't like to do nested replies but I think it's important that you note my use (now italicized for emphasis) of the phrase "the entire population of the planet".

Do you think these people you mention are pretty much a good statistical representation of the entire population of the planet?

-Erasmus

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Explain?
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
Quote from: "Scruffy"
Youre most likely not gonna get one.

Anyone with the balls to answer you would have to be talking straight out of there ass.

Because the Flat Earth Model doesn't make any sense.

What the hell is this supposed to be, an RE morale booster?  Quit cheering for yourself and stick to the discussion.

Explain?
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »
Another thing is you can't expect us to spoon feed anything. Bring something you've thought through very well and perhaps you might get a "straight" answer.

the only time you guys give an answer is when you think you know the answer, otherwise you try and dabte your way away from the question originaly posted, as happened here
 am the center of the universe