Flat earth society today

• 10 Replies
?

Wendero

Flat earth society today
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:44:33 AM »
Hello

I have a question: does the society exists today? How are they working? who's the leader?

Hope for answers
/John G
Örnsköldsvik, Sweden

Flat earth society today
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:11:32 AM »
The flat earth society founded by Samuel Rowbotham in the nineteenth century existed continually under different presidents until it folded with the death of Charles Johnson in early 2001.  This website founded by Daniel and more specifically the flat earth users group moderated by Chaltier are the closest thing I know approaching a flat earth society today in the west.  

Cheesejof has also posted a list of genuine flat earth sites which includes one from Venezuela, although it appears to be only the website of one individual.

There have also been flat earth meetup groups in various places begun since the death of Charles Johnson (they appear to have started popping up in 2003 or 2004), although they have not tended to have permanence.  These were in existence before this website was founded in early 2005.  The biggest meetup group appeared to have been in Monterey, New Mexico.

The much more traditional and exclusive Flat Earth Society of Canada founded by Leo C. Ferrari ran from 1972 to 1985.

And there are other flat earth traditions in existence.  The biggest permanent group of whom I know that incorporate flat earthism as part of their beliefs are the Jains of India.

- Dionysios

Flat earth society today
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:30:37 PM »
i should find out where the guys join toether, get some terrorist action goin on
 am the center of the universe

Flat earth society today
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 04:16:01 AM »
I was thinking more about burning at the stack you know? reverse  history the people that are wrong burn this time :twisted:

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Flat earth society today
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:07:44 PM »
Quote from: "geekcorerob"
I was thinking more about burning at the stack you know?

Better to be burned at the stack than on the heap.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Flat earth society today
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:23:08 PM »
At my church everyone is a flat-earther.
-ujb.

Flat earth society today
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:12:34 PM »
Quote from: "UNCLE JIM BOB"
-ujb.

I know it's not on topic, but after visiting your web site, I think you are one sorry-ass fat pedophil with some very-very sick believes. You would probably disgust even most liberal antichristian, let alone any man of faith. Oh, and also, you should NOT tell people that you are a man of faith, because you are so far from it that you cannot even imagine.

You can get back to the topic now.

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
Flat earth society today
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:50:49 PM »
Quote from: "googleSearch"
Quote from: "UNCLE JIM BOB"
-ujb.

I know it's not on topic, but after visiting your web site, I think you are one sorry-ass fat pedophil with some very-very sick believes. You would probably disgust even most liberal antichristian, let alone any man of faith. Oh, and also, you should NOT tell people that you are a man of faith, because you are so far from it that you cannot even imagine.

You can get back to the topic now.

Rarely do I agree with googleSearch yet I going to have to side with him on this.
An enraged
Cinlef
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

Flat earth society today
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 06:24:34 AM »
I have not visited the website in question.  And I am no saint myself, but from what Chaltier informs after having visited the website in question, I would definitely concur with googleSearch and Cinlef as far as condemnation of despicable acts.

I would merely suggest the condemnation of an evil word or declaration or wicked act itself rather than the condemnation of the individual.  (To the extent I have not followed this philosophy myself, I apologize to any offended as I am myself far from perfect, but I believe this is more  correct and Christian perspective to have towards subjects like that (as Cinlef has said elsewhere, all men all sinners).  I have read in the Ladder of Divine Ascent by Saint John Climacus that a certain man sinned openly, and he judged him as a degenerate, but the same man repented in secret and he had judged a man that was just in the sight of God.  

Anyway, neither flat earthism nor anything else ill needs such a repulsive reputation.

- Dionysios

Flat earth society today
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »
it looks like www.g0tjesus.com has been defaced.

It looks like some kids cracked the site and posted as much racist nonsense they could type in all-caps.

If you read the quotes they are ended with "not uncle jim bob"

i doubt any man of god would have a site like: www.g0tjesus.com the way it is now.

Either Bob needs to be shot or the ppl that defaced his site.
verybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the Moon. - Tori Amos

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Flat earth society today
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
The real site was bad enough, but the defaced one is horrible.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson