Why cant i see the sun with a telescope ?

• 6 Replies
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:41 AM »
Why cant i see the sun with a telescope at night ?

If the earth would be flat i would clearly be able to see the sun in a telescope at night. And at sunsets, wouldn't the sun fade out in size ?

Re: Why cant i see the sun with a telescope ?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "Mattias_Olsson"
And at sunsets, wouldn't the sun fade out in size ?

Yep, probably. Are you saying it doesn't? But how can that be possible; surely you realize that, if the earth were a sphere, you would be closest to the sun at midday, and rotating further away at night. If you can't see the sun getting smaller (because it's moving further away), then surely the earth isn't a sphere.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:46:51 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
Quote from: "Mattias_Olsson"
And at sunsets, wouldn't the sun fade out in size ?

Yep, probably. Are you saying it doesn't? But how can that be possible; surely you realize that, if the earth were a sphere, you would be closest to the sun at midday, and rotating further away at night. If you can't see the sun getting smaller (because it's moving further away), then surely the earth isn't a sphere.

The sun is 93,000,000 miles away. The distance from the sun increases by 4,000 miles from high noon to sunset. The difference in size is impossible to discern with our own eyes.
nyone who truly believes the earth is flat needs to get thrown down an elevator shaft.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 09:09:06 PM »
Thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:42:36 AM »
Hey, if you could see the sun with a telescope and burn out your corneas, that would be GREAT proof that the earth was flat!
 love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they don't know I'm using blanks.

- Jack Handey

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
Quote from: "You undeducated morons"

The sun is 93,000,000 miles away. The distance from the sun increases by 4,000 miles from high noon to sunset. The difference in size is impossible to discern with our own eyes.

Good point

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:45:44 PM »
The distance from the sun increases by 4,000 miles from high noon to sunset.

Where did you hear this? If I'm not mistaken the Earths distance to the sun doesn't vary more than 2% over the course of an entire year, I don't think it changes much over the course of a day.

Edit: Never mind, I see what you were saying.