• 680 Replies

Dead Kangaroo

• FES' Anchor Roo
  • The Elder Ones
  • K800 Model 101.
Re: Athiest World
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
I would do this too but I am to lazy to type very long
That and you couldn't conceive the purpose of "ctrl+c" and "ctrl+v".

« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
I didn't realize that it was just repeated.
I hate myself for coming here

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
I didn't realize that it was just repeated.

No, it is really a long rambling text. Feel free to read it all. He means you can find that giant block of text on the internet, and copy paste it into a thread.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
Though it is repeated at least three times.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
Out of curiosity, what do theists want from atheists?

Looking back, and thinking about all the religious people I've known:  the wisest Christian, the wisest Wiccan, the wisest Buddhist, the wisest Hindu, the wisest Muslim, the wisest Jewish person, etc... no two of them could agree on which religion was right.  Even within Christianity, the wisest Catholic, the wisest Mormon, the wisest Baptist, the wisest Jehovah Witness - no two of them could agree on which branch of Christianity was right

There are atheists who are annoying as hell I am sure - just as there are annoying people of all faiths or lack thereof, but they don't seem any more annoying that the zealous vegans or greenies or any other human with a specifically zealous cause. 

If you want to believe that Atheists are somehow less moral than religious people, I guess you can keep checking your closest and under the bed for them before you go to sleep, what ever floats your boat.... but what exactly do you want from us?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #455 on: December 18, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »
I think that what all religions want from people outside the religion is to make a choice: Croak, either by natural or less natural causes, or convert. Also, for the record, it's jew, not jewish person.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #456 on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
The religious want more drones for the most part. 

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #457 on: December 18, 2008, 04:24:15 PM »
The atheists want more company in hell.

Guessed

« Reply #458 on: December 18, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
The atheists want more company in hell.

sig'd for truth. I'll bring the chips.
Is Dino open source?

Quote from: grogberries

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2008, 03:35:51 AM »
And I make a great garlic dip.

« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »
That was from the Uncyclopedia.

« Reply #461 on: December 29, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »
And the spiritual just want to get along.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #462 on: December 30, 2008, 03:56:14 AM »

You're kidding, right?
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2008, 05:54:12 AM »
If you want to believe that Atheists are somehow less moral than religious people, I guess you can keep checking your closest and under the bed for them before you go to sleep, what ever floats your boat.... but what exactly do you want from us?
Have you ever heard the story of the Twins?

It goes like this:

There are two twin siblings and both have messy rooms.

One of the Twins, finding it hard to get the things that he wants from within the mess, realises that if the room was tidied, then he would find it easier to get the things he wants. And so he tidies his room.

The other Twin only tidies his room because his parents threaten to punish him if he does not obey them, and offers rewards if he does obey them.

Which of the twins is the better child?

This is like Religion and Atheism. Religions have a Superior force that give them the rules by which they are to act and threatens them with punishment if they do not obey and offers them a reward if they do obey. Atheists, with the lack of a higher authority have had to work out what rules work and what don't by themselves.

The Atheists are like the First Twin that has worked out that a tidy room is better for them than an messy room, where as the religious are like the second twin in that they require their rules to be told to them and only do them under threat of punishment and offer of reward.

This shows that Atheists appear to be more moral than the religious.
Everyday household experimentation.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #464 on: December 30, 2008, 06:42:10 AM »

You're kidding, right?

Yes. Unless they are being manipulated by the powerful, but that may just be them conforming to the social norms of that particular belief and no real spirituality.

« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

You're kidding, right?
Yeah. I was tired and screwing around mostly.

?

Dr Matrix

• In Soviet Russia, Matrix enters you!
« Reply #466 on: December 31, 2008, 05:11:21 AM »

It goes like this:

One of the Twins, finding it hard to get the things that he wants from within the mess, realises that if the room was tidied, then he would find it easier to get the things he wants. And so he tidies his room.

The other Twin only tidies his room because his parents threaten to punish him if he does not obey them, and offers rewards if he does obey them.

This is like Religion and Atheism. Religions have a Superior force that give them the rules by which they are to act and threatens them with punishment if they do not obey and offers them a reward if they do obey. Atheists, with the lack of a higher authority have had to work out what rules work and what don't by themselves.

The Atheists are like the First Twin that has worked out that a tidy room is better for them than an messy room, where as the religious are like the second twin in that they require their rules to be told to them and only do them under threat of punishment and offer of reward.

Win.
Quote from: Arthur Schopenhauer
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

« Reply #467 on: December 31, 2008, 10:10:04 AM »

It goes like this:

But that is assuming that all Atheists do the right thing. And just because I follow the commendments doesn't mean I don't know when something is right or wrong. I would estimate that 90% of the situations in which I need to decide to go one way or the other are not addressed in the bible. I make the decision based on what is right and wrong. So that is a nice little anecdote but ultimately useless.

« Reply #468 on: December 31, 2008, 12:48:39 PM »

It goes like this:

But that is assuming that all Atheists do the right thing. And just because I follow the commendments doesn't mean I don't know when something is right or wrong. I would estimate that 90% of the situations in which I need to decide to go one way or the other are not addressed in the bible. I make the decision based on what is right and wrong. So that is a nice little anecdote but ultimately useless.

Oh, goodie!  The commandments!  Lets see, almost half of them are about Yaweh's vainglorious jealousy, two more are thought crimes, two control who you fuck, and one is designed to ensure a family stays loyal to the church through the generations.  That leaves one about killing (which really tells Jews not to kill other Jews - clearly Yaweh wanted them to kill lots of other tribes, just not their own.), one about stealing, and one about lying. 

This is a code to live by?  I need more direction than that, let me read a bit more.  Ahhh, there we go, Deuteronomy! - lots of rules for me there!

Deuteronomy 14:21: You shall not boil a young goat in its mother?s milk. Phew!  I was just about to drop that goat in the pot, too!

Ohh, and Leviticus - I should find some direction for my life there!

Leviticus 20:13:  If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.  Damnit, I have gay friends!  I better check some more.

Leviticus 21:16-24:  Speak to Aaron, saying, None of your offspring throughout their generations who has a blemish may(R) approach to offer the bread of his God. 18For no one who has a blemish shall draw near, a man(S) blind or lame, or one who has a mutilated face(T) or a limb too long, 19or a man who has an injured foot or an injured hand, 20or a hunchback or a dwarf or a man with a(U) defect in his sight or an itching disease or scabs or(V) crushed testicles. 21No man of the offspring of Aaron the priest who has a blemish shall come near to(W) offer the LORD?s food offerings; since he has a blemish, he shall not come near to offer the bread of his God. 22He may eat the bread of his God, both of(X) the most holy and of the(Y) holy things, 23but he shall not go through the veil or approach the altar, because he has a blemish, that he may not(Z) profane my sanctuaries,(AA) for I am the LORD who sanctifies them." 24So Moses spoke to Aaron and to his sons and to all the people of Israel.
  Wow, I sure am glad I'm not in any way malformed, apparently Yaweh doesn't want people to have to look at that shit!

OK, I'll check Exodus, maybe there's something sensible in there:

Exodus 22:18:  You shall not permit a sorceress to live.  Well, shit, my best friend and his wife are well versed in the Craft of the Wise (students of mine, years ago).  I guess I'll have to kill her.  There goes one of the decent commandments!
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #469 on: December 31, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
I'm sorry, do you send a horribly deformed person with scabs to present a king with bread? Why would you do it to God?

« Reply #470 on: December 31, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
WOW! You really showed me! Good Job looking on Google for Bible passages that don't make sense or whatever. I find it really funny how much scripture is quoted at me here.

« Reply #471 on: December 31, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
WOW! You really showed me! Good Job looking on Google for Bible passages that don't make sense or whatever. I find it really funny how much scripture is quoted at me here.

Right... because I'd never had this discussion before, and all I threw out there were passages that don't make sense.  Think about it - who gets to choose which verses are sensible?  The commandments are ludicrous, and most of the mandates within the OT are complete moral skulduggery.  There are instructions on how to properly make burnt offerings, for fuck's sake!  Is this a book you want your kids to look to for moral guidance?  Is this our source of direction as to what is good and what is evil?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  The Judeo-Christian god is about as likely to exist as the Smurfs, and if he does, I don't want anything to do with the prick.
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me

« Reply #472 on: December 31, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »

Right... because I'd never had this discussion before, and all I threw out there were passages that don't make sense.  Think about it - who gets to choose which verses are sensible?  The commandments are ludicrous, and most of the mandates within the OT are complete moral skulduggery.  There are instructions on how to properly make burnt offerings, for fuck's sake!  Is this a book you want your kids to look to for moral guidance?  Is this our source of direction as to what is good and what is evil?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  The Judeo-Christian god is about as likely to exist as the Smurfs, and if he does, I don't want anything to do with the prick.
Alright, you can believe that. I don't have all the answers to your questions so I might as well give up.

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #473 on: December 31, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »
Isn't the whole point of religion to answer questions science isn't able to? Now the tables have turned, it seems!
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

« Reply #474 on: December 31, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

It goes like this:

And all religious people do the right thing right... [/sarcasm]

No. That was not what I was saying. It was in response to the claim that Atheists were less moral than the Religious. I was disproving that claim.

It is a common argument against Atheism, that saying that because they don't have a higher Authority from which they get their Morals, then they must therefore act immorally.

The fact is, if you only follow a morality based on threat of punishment and offer of reward, then you can not claim you have a higher morality because your morality is only "Don't get punished and get the reward". It is based in Self Interest.

If however, you have had to develop a morality from scratch, then you can claim moral high ground because your morality is based on the interests of the whole, not just the self, and since morality (and ethics) are about behaviours in a group (society), actually looking at the interests of the group is far better than self interest.
Everyday household experimentation.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #475 on: December 31, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »
I make the decision based on what is right and wrong.

So who told you that?
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #476 on: December 31, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »
That example shows both atheists and religious people as acting 'right'. Both groups of atheists and religious people have people who act wrongly. I think you have this perverse idea that atheists are more immoral than religious people.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

?

0din

« Reply #477 on: January 02, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
This is what it would be like, if the majority of people were athiests.
ATHIEST KID: Mom, I'm going to go fuck a hooker.
ATHIEST MOM: Okay, son.
So, what you are basically saying is that if you don't believe a cosmic overlord for whose existence there is no evidence will burn you in a made up place forever if you dont obey his will you will be an extremely bad parent and won't give a shit if your kid goes in jail or gets an STD.
ATHIEST KID: Afterwards, I'm going to go smoke pot with my friends, since it's "not addictive."
ATHIEST MOM: Okay, come home soon!
Your opinion about pot being addictive has nothing to do with you being an atheist. I bet that there is roughly the same percentage of pot smokers in both the christian and atheist population.
The athiest kid leaves the room. The father comes home from work several minutes later.

ATHIEST DAD: Hey!
ATHIEST MOM: Hi, honey! I'm pregnant again. I guess I'll just get another abortion, since "fetuses don't count as human life."
ATHIEST DAD: Okay, get as many abortions as you want!
If abortion is murder, masturbation is genocide. It's a joke by the way. If the child is unwanted it would be better to just end its "life" when it's a fetus and doesnt have a conscience rather than completely fucking up his life after the child discovers the joys of it.
ATHIEST MOM: Oh, and don't go in the bedroom.
ATHIEST DAD: Why not?
ATHIEST MOM: There are two gay men fucking eachother in there.
ATHIEST DAD: Why are they here?
ATHIEST MOM: I wanted to watch them do it for awhile. They just aren't finished yet.
ATHIEST DAD: Okay, that's fine with me!
What is wrong with homosexuality, and what's wrong with them having sex in their bedroom if the owners of the bedroom have no problem with that.
Suddenly, their neighbor runs into the house.

ATHIEST NEIGHBOR: Come quick, there's a Christian outside!
ATHIEST MOM: We'll be right there!

The athiest couple quickly put on a pair of black robes and hoods. They then exit the house, and run into the street, where a Christian is nailed to a large, wooden X. He is being burned alive. A crowd of athiests stand around him, all wearing black robes and hoods.

RANDOM ATHIEST: Damn you, Christian! We hate you! We claim to be tolerant of all religions. But we really hate your's! That's because we athiests are hypocritical like that! Die, Christian!

I don't hate people if they are christian, I hate people that are ignorant assholes. I have many christian friends and I'm getting along with them just fine.
THE END

Scary, isn't it?

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #478 on: January 02, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
ATHEISM:

GOD APPROVED

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #479 on: January 07, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »
I actually lol'd. Were I God, I'd have approved of atheism.