Athiest World

• 680 Replies

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
Re: Athiest World
« Reply #570 on: February 11, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
Hey smart one, pot isn't addictive.

Looks like somebody graduated the D.A.R.E. program with honors.

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #571 on: February 11, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
Hey smart one, pot isn't addictive.

I think you need to read up a bit on things.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

« Reply #572 on: February 11, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
I don't know if its physically addictive, but because of the way it makes you feel you probably want to do it again afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:04:08 AM by KingMan »
I hate myself for coming here

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #573 on: February 11, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
Mental addictions > Physical addictions.

IMO.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #574 on: February 11, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
Mental addictions > Physical addictions.

IMO.

Such as?  What's the difference?
Why justify an illegitimate attack with a legitimate response?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #575 on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
When you are physically addicted, your brain chemistry has had time to make slight changes to adapt to drug use, which means that abstinence will have an actual physical effect, rather than mental addiction, where any physical effects of abstinence are caused by psychological trauma. Or that's how I've interpreted it, at least.
Here's an explanation for ya. Lurk moar. Every single point you brought up has been posted, reposted, debated and debunked. There is a search function on this forum, and it is very easy to use.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #576 on: February 11, 2009, 11:24:32 AM »
I was under the impression that all addictions stem from the same basic chemical processes.  How do you separate physical and mental if in both cases it is your brain interpreting/causing the sense of addiction?

Wendy

• I laugh cus you fake
« Reply #577 on: February 11, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
I wouldn't know. Sorry, I'm no expert on these things.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #578 on: February 11, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
Same.  I am biologically retarded.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #579 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:36 AM »
If you are physically addicted to something it will affect your body if you stop using it.  If you are mentally addicted to something you can quit without any physical symptoms, but you will have mental symptoms, such as anxiety and depression.

Alcohol - the DTs
Opiates - sweating, cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, etc... 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

?

Robbyj

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #580 on: February 11, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »
Makes sense.

« Reply #581 on: February 11, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »
Read the old testament then talk about tolerance entire cites were destroyed and you could argue that they were filled with sin but did the children or the babys in the town deserve it. Second I said nothing of the teachings of jesus. I said the  Religious orginazation was easly corrupted when you have a Hierarchy.

Talk to some jews about that particular story. Most stories in the old testament I believe are stories. Perhaps the jews did slaughter cities and justify it with god. The fact remains is they didn't slaughter the city for god, they used god as an excuse.

And if you get to switch back and forth between religions do I get to bring in every single atheist that has committed an atrocity and blame it on their lack of morals?

The old testament is part of the Christin bible You can't ignore it completly Also although christanity split from jewish Religion  it came form a part of it Jesus was a jew
 You can not use single atheist to prove your point You can however use an army of atheist that did a horrible thing to prove your point
You can't outrun death forever
But you can sure make the old bastard work for it.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #582 on: February 11, 2009, 07:43:47 PM »
Read the old testament then talk about tolerance entire cites were destroyed and you could argue that they were filled with sin but did the children or the babys in the town deserve it. Second I said nothing of the teachings of jesus. I said the  Religious orginazation was easly corrupted when you have a Hierarchy.

Talk to some jews about that particular story. Most stories in the old testament I believe are stories. Perhaps the jews did slaughter cities and justify it with god. The fact remains is they didn't slaughter the city for god, they used god as an excuse.

And if you get to switch back and forth between religions do I get to bring in every single atheist that has committed an atrocity and blame it on their lack of morals?

The old testament is part of the Christin bible You can't ignore it completly Also although christanity split from jewish Religion  it came form a part of it Jesus was a jew
 You can not use single atheist to prove your point You can however use an army of atheist that did a horrible thing to prove your point

So the actions committed by jews that they justified with religion, somehow affect my religion? Gotcha. As for jesus being a jew, I really don't think that matters, if you do, then you can go join the third reich somewhere.

An army of atheists doing a horrible thing, hmm lets see, how many countries did the soviet union attack? They're an atheist state, so anything they have done wrong is clearly on the head of atheist because they are one of your few mass representations. Atheists also helped stir the nuclear weapon build up, took advantage of millions, killed more than Hitler did (not comparing to him, just using him as a benchmark), broke up families and had forced labor in an area so cold and without food you were expected to die when you were sent there.

Yay atheism. (p.s. when you have a non represented group, never give permission for the other person to bunch them together)

?

Proleg

« Reply #583 on: February 11, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
Any source on the majority population of communist nations being atheist?

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #584 on: February 11, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »
It is an atheist country. I never said the majority was atheist. He asked for an atheist army, and an army representing an atheist country would fit the description.

?

Proleg

« Reply #585 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:36 PM »
It is an atheist country. I never said the majority was atheist. He asked for an atheist army, and an army representing an atheist country would fit the description.
He asked for an "army of atheists". All of the atrocities you mentioned also were not committed entirely by atheists either.

I agree that his argument is retarded, but you're handling it wrong.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #586 on: February 11, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
He asked for an "army of atheists". All of the atrocities you mentioned also were not committed entirely by atheists either.

I agree that his argument is retarded, but you're handling it wrong.

Not at all, I'm doubting there has ever been an "army" of Christians by anything other than name.

I am not handling it wrong, a country that is atheist, would be the only thing in the world capable of representing atheism. The fact that you are a lurver of communism, and atheism means this argument irritates you, but it does not make it wrong.

?

Proleg

« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
Not at all, I'm doubting there has ever been an "army" of Christians by anything other than name.
You doubt there has been an army composed entirely of Christians?

I am not handling it wrong, a country that is atheist, would be the only thing in the world capable of representing atheism. The fact that you are a lurver of communism, and atheism means this argument irritates you, but it does not make it wrong.
Hardly. I'm no fan of the state capitalist bureaucracies and dictatorships masquerading as champions of the working classes, but you are wrong about several things:

1. The populations of these "atheist states" are not atheist.
2. The states are/were not even atheist. Marxism-Leninism and its various offshoots have developed their own very complex mythologies. The state religion is always the doctrine of the Party.
3. You are legitimizing his fallacious reasoning by sinking to his level and engaging in an argument so flawed that neither side can win. You should be attacking his initial statements rather than attempting to counter them with absurdities of your own.

« Reply #588 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
the Crusades was a Christin army. In that day and age Most of the solders couldn't read so they had to trust the priest interpretation of the bible they trusted the church and most of /them I am sure believed what they were doing is right and Christan. This is showing what I am saying. Organized religion is what cause the problem second I am sorry I got off topic I was trying to argue about organized religion as a whole. And last that was god that destroyed those towns not the Jews. The same god that you believe in.

?

Proleg

« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2009, 08:29:19 PM »
I do not think Raist is defending organized religion.

« Reply #590 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
I know I am sorry I got off topic. Raist said that Christianity did not breed intolerance. I was tryig to prove that christianity like all orginized religions breed intolerance when not exposed to new ideas

?

Proleg

« Reply #591 on: February 11, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
I know I am sorry I got off topic. Raist said that Christianity did not breed intolerance. I was tryig to prove that christianity like all orginized religions breed intolerance when not exposed to new ideas
No more than any other tradition. I do not think anyone here would dispute this (except maybe KingMan).

« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2009, 08:55:04 PM »
My question originally was why atheist are usually accused more often of being immoral then people who are part of a organized religion when atheist have through history a better track recorded

?

Proleg

« Reply #593 on: February 11, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
My question originally was why atheist are usually accused more often of being immoral then people who are part of a organized religion when atheist have through history a better track recorded
Well, there are more people involved in organized religion than there are atheists. That might be why atheists are more often accused of immorality.

Also, most atheists do not view the world as ethically black and white as most sects dictate, so this is probably viewed as moral weakness. Rejection of absolutes makes the average theist uncomfortable.

« Reply #594 on: February 11, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
I don't think of Atheists as immoral, and I don't think I know anyone who does. Stop playing such a put upon victim.
I hate myself for coming here

« Reply #595 on: February 11, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »
I don't think of Atheists as immoral, and I don't think I know anyone who does. Stop playing such a put upon victim.
Atheist are not allowed to join the boy scouts as scout masters, then there was what George bush senior said "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." Now picture the uproor if he said this about a different religion such as Buddhism.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #596 on: February 11, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
Atheist are not allowed to join the boy scouts as scout masters, then there was what George bush senior said "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." Now picture the uproor if he said this about a different religion such as Buddhism.

Are you an atheist like I am? I was able to join whatever I wanted and I've never been shunned. In fact, I'm probably more accepted because I'm not a fucking lunatic who talks to himself at his bedside every night.

« Reply #597 on: February 11, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
Are you an atheist like I am? I was able to join whatever I wanted and I've never been shunned. In fact, I'm probably more accepted because I'm not a fucking lunatic who talks to himself at his bedside every night.
I have mentioned I don't adhere to any specific religion three times in high school. I spent many hours of people trying to convert me to save my soul and how I would go to hell if I didn't convert. Granted that might have been because it was high school. But they talked like It was horrible to be an atheist.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #598 on: February 11, 2009, 09:52:27 PM »
I have mentioned I don't adhere to any specific religion three times in high school. I spent many hours of people trying to convert me to save my soul and how I would go to hell if I didn't convert. Granted that might have been because it was high school. But they talked like It was horrible to be an atheist.

If only "Ask The Atheist" was around then...

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #599 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »
the Crusades was a Christin army. In that day and age Most of the solders couldn't read so they had to trust the priest interpretation of the bible they trusted the church and most of /them I am sure believed what they were doing is right and Christan. This is showing what I am saying. Organized religion is what cause the problem second I am sorry I got off topic I was trying to argue about organized religion as a whole. And last that was god that destroyed those towns not the Jews. The same god that you believe in.

I'm sorry, but that was more due to the feudal system. If you weren't a Christian you would be killed. Though that is less to blame on christianity and more to be blamed on kings wanting absolute power which they claimed they had from God.

Those cities were not destroyed by god, at most they were destroyed by jews and blamed on god or fictional. Finally there were many cases where jews destroyed cities themselves, then later claimed it was inspired by God. I thought you would have been smart enough to be referring to that.

If you actually believe God destroyed those cities, do you really believe the action was evil?