How come when I am flying in an airplane, I can see a curve.

• 18 Replies
?

dryer-lint

How come when I am flying in an airplane, I can see a curve in the Earth? Or even standing on a tall mountain. How come when I am in one state, I can't look up and see my own state? :?:  :roll:

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:29:37 PM »
"Because the governemt put a curtain in da way foo!"

LOL

Re: How come when I am flying in an airplane, I can see a cu
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:33:25 PM »
Quote from: "dryer-lint"
How come when I am flying in an airplane, I can see a curve in the Earth? Or even standing on a tall mountain. How come when I am in one state, I can't look up and see my own state? :?:  :roll:

the current FE explanation is that the governemnt puts curved glass in the windows. doesnt account for personal jets tho :roll:
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

dryer-lint

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »
Erasmus was right.  :wink:

?

Astrocide

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:57:39 PM »
How come on a clear day, you can look out on the ocean and the water just stops at one point instead of fading into the distance?

Same answer:  The Earth is ROUND(and this forum is nothing more than an interactive joke).

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »
Quote from: "Astrocide"
How come on a clear day, you can look out on the ocean and the water just stops at one point instead of fading into the distance?

Same answer:  The Earth is ROUND(and this forum is nothing more than an interactive joke).

A VERY entertaining joke though.

Please people, don't give up on your pointless and misproven beleifs!

Oh, and P.S. Documents in china were uncovered that stated that the earth was round. These documents were, in fact, a detailed study by a chinese astronomer in the 13th century. Why the government didn't exist back then but the rumor that the earth was round still spread, is because the earth actually IS round. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the bubble isn't even flat.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:09:20 PM »
Quote from: "Marshy"

the current FE explanation is that the governemnt puts curved glass in the windows. doesnt account for personal jets tho :roll:

Wouldn't that seriously affect the structural integrity of the plane? Just like when the windows used to be square?

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 07:17:51 PM »

Or those of us who have jumped out of a plane, and seen the world from 10,000 feet.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:23:02 PM »
Quote from: "Doubter"

Or those of us who have jumped out of a plane, and seen the world from 10,000 feet.

Well the government must put curved plastic in the goggles you wear!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 07:46:53 PM »
Quote from: "MiniCooper"

lol, quote pyramid!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »

Or, the curvature you are seeing is not relevant to the question of whether the Earth is a sphere.  You can suspend a dish below your eyes and its edge will appear curved in the same way; that doesn't mean that the dish is curved.

If you could tell that the spot directly below you was higher up than the spots around the edge, that would be different.  How can you tell that?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 03:20:54 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

Or, the curvature you are seeing is not relevant to the question of whether the Earth is a sphere.  You can suspend a dish below your eyes and its edge will appear curved in the same way; that doesn't mean that the dish is curved.

If you could tell that the spot directly below you was higher up than the spots around the edge, that would be different.  How can you tell that?

-Erasmus

Well, the curve appears about the same distance, regardless of where I jump, has the effect of hiding the base of objects while the tops are expose, and has the same apparent arc as when I look out of an airplane window.

Speaking of Arcs, the apparent arc of looking over a sphere is different than looking at the edge of a circle, this is related to Magellan's quote:

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

All one has to do is take a circular object, like a plate, and try to match the edge to the horizon either from altitude, like in a plane or atop a mountain or tall building, or when at the ocean.  It will not match, and the difference occurs the same as long as you are looking at a smooth horizon.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 02:06:29 AM »
Well, the curve appears about the same distance, regardless of where I jump, has the effect of hiding the base of objects while the tops are expose, and has the same apparent arc as when I look out of an airplane window.

All that shows is that the curvature you are seeing depends on some process or effect local to you.

Speaking of Arcs, the apparent arc of looking over a sphere is different than looking at the edge of a circle, this is related to Magellan's quote:

“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

All one has to do is take a circular object, like a plate, and try to match the edge to the horizon either from altitude, like in a plane or atop a mountain or tall building, or when at the ocean.  It will not match, and the difference occurs the same as long as you are looking at a smooth horizon.

I can make it match.  Take the horizon to be the base of a right circular cone with you at its vertex.  Suppose the ratio of this cone's altitude to its base radius is X.  Now place the plate a distance X from you -- where appropriate units have been chosen that the plate has radius 1 -- so that the plate is perpendicular to the axis of the cone and intersecting that axis at its centre.  The plate will exactly obscure the visible area of the ground; this will work on a flat Earth or on a round one.

Magellan's quote was referring to the fact that a circular plate appears as an ellipse and casts elliptical shadows when viewed other than perpendicularly.  The experiment you suggest would always return "plate matches horizon" if and only if the planes containing the plate and the horizon are parallel and the plate's centre intersects the optical axis; i.e. it does not depend in any other way on the geometry of the world.

-Erasmus

*edit* p.s. great quote.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 03:21:01 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

-Erasmus

frickn' laser beams

yeah i said it
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 05:32:16 AM »
How about this? The glass in the plane is slightly curved in some way to make the horizon look curved?

Of course that doesn't work if you're on a tall mountain and you see the curve, obviously that's caused by the good ol' optical illusion.

Demosthenes

• Leader of the Anti-Loli coalition
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 05:40:15 AM »
so, is the moon round an the earth not? That would defy the current laws of physics. (or are they just government lies too?) gravity always pulls towards the center of the object. ALWAYS. There is a supposed counter weight "under" the earth. Is this also flat?

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 06:51:31 AM »
my dad's plane only has a front windshield. there are no doors or windows at the sides.
when I look out the side, I still see a curve at the horizon. and it curvs the same amount as if I go out to the beach, on the ground, and look at the horizon.
he computer genius guy

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
Quote from: "An_Atheist"
my dad's plane only has a front windshield. there are no doors or windows at the sides.
when I look out the side, I still see a curve at the horizon. and it curvs the same amount as if I go out to the beach, on the ground, and look at the horizon.

That's quite an amazing discovery. If the earth were a sphere the apparent curvature would increase with altitude; the fact that it doesn't implies the earth is a different shape entirely! You've just disproved both FE and RE, congratulations!

?

satoshi

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 08:58:45 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
Quote from: "An_Atheist"

That's quite an amazing discovery. If the earth were a sphere the apparent curvature would increase with altitude; the fact that it doesn't implies the earth is a different shape entirely! You've just disproved both FE and RE, congratulations!

Um, I'm sorry.  The height an airplane flies at is insignificant to the size of the Earth.  What do planes normally fly at, 20,000ft?  Yea.  How big is the Earth?  12,756.274km, which is 41,851,292.7ft.  20,000ft is only .0004% of the total diameter of the Earth.  You're not going to notice ANY difference in the apparent curvature of the horizon at that point.  Now, when you leave the atmosphere and get into space, you WILL notice that the Earth is, in fact, a sphere.  It's impossible to ignore.