Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat

• 42 Replies
Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:08:31 AM »
http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

Wacky disproving starts now!

PS:The moon IS made of cheese! ;D
I myself am not a RE'er or FE'er more a OE'er with lumpy bits (Oval Earther with lumpy bits)

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
Re: Top 10 Ways to Know the Earth is Not Flat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »
The only one I saw that FET doesn't have an immediate explanation for is number 7, the planets. I've never seen anything either in the faqs or threads that could explain retrograde planetary motion.
Reality becomes apparent to the patient observer. Or you can learn a thing or two if you're in a hurry.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 05:22:00 AM »
I would love to see explanations 1 to 10 right here, as I don't find anything in theflatearthsociety.org (as well as the faq) better organized than what is in this link. Must be the government conspiracy! ::)
I myself am not a RE'er or FE'er more a OE'er with lumpy bits (Oval Earther with lumpy bits)

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 05:41:35 AM »
I've been around a bit in this forum, so I think I can speak for the FE'ers when I say...

1)Shadow object.
2)Faked, Telescopes, Bendy light.
3)Stellar gears.
4)Bendy light.
5)Bendy light.
6)Jet streams, Hallucinations, Bendy light.
7)TBA
8)Bendy light.
9)Causality defying constant upward acceleration.
10)Conspiracy.
Reality becomes apparent to the patient observer. Or you can learn a thing or two if you're in a hurry.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:54:32 AM »
"stupidity can be fixed but ignorance prevents it"

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »

Story of most REer's lives.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:21:15 AM »
Are you writing for readers digest? I don't think anyone asked for platitudes.

Seriously, I've seen far better arguments for FE than what was in the link. Other than 7, that's pretty much a primer on posts that will get you pounced on by FE'ers.

Heres some good arguments for this forum.

1)Even though the north star and south stars do not change their relative positions during the year, you still get significant changes in the stars visible in different seasons. How do you explain stellar precession?

2)Neither a spotlight sun nor a bendy light sun can adequately explain annual light patterns. What's up with that? This can be confirmed by sunrise/sunset data from cities in all inhabited nations, and a simple extrapolation of that data would show the curve for the uninhabited portions.

3)The stellar gears theorem leaves almost 65% of the southern oceans devoid of stars in the sky. (blue portions) Multiple gears lead to continuity problems due to stars having multiple occurrences.

4)Due to the stars using bendy light, you should observably be able to note differences in the distance between rim stars at different latitudes. This is not observable.

I'm sure other RE'ers can help me out with some more pertinent questions.

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 06:34:02 AM »

Story of most REer's lives.

If you really were a FE'er, and not just an arguer, couldn't you argue that that is the story of most FE'ers lives as well?

If you say we are ignorant because we cannot adequately prove ourselves to you, how should we feel when FE'ers assert that they do not even feel the need to argue/explain/prove/show the reasoning behind whatever current assertion they are adamant about.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:46 AM »
If you really were a FE'er, and not just an arguer, couldn't you argue that that is the story of most FE'ers lives as well?

If they were legitimately FEers, then yes.

If you say we are ignorant because we cannot adequately prove ourselves to you, how should we feel when FE'ers assert that they do not even feel the need to argue/explain/prove/show the reasoning behind whatever current assertion they are adamant about.

Depends on if they are claiming to know the shape of the Earth.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

AmateurAstronomer

• Rouge Scholar
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »

If they were legitimately FEers, then yes.

Depends on if they are claiming to know the shape of the Earth.

I agree 100% on both points.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
http://www.smarterthanthat.com/astronomy/top-10-ways-to-know-the-earth-is-not-flat/

Wacky disproving starts now!

PS:The moon IS made of cheese! ;D

and the silly scientist referred to gravity.  All FEers know that there is no such thing.  ;)

Snaaaaake

• ROUND000
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:21:20 PM »
I can't to see what a real FEr (none have responded yet) makes up in this thread.
We told you to go to rehab, but you were all like "no, no, no!" ::)

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »
I can't to see what a real FEr (none have responded yet) makes up in this thread.

Apparently you didn't read the article linked in the OP?

General Douchebag

• Flat Earth Editor
  • King of charred bones and cooked meat
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »
As for 7, I don't see a valid point. It just says "Jupiter is round, we must be too" which is an incredibly bad logic, because we're not Jupiter. Or has there been an "advance" in RET that we haven't heard about?
No but I'm guess your what? 90? Cause you just so darn mature </sarcasm>

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
The list is shit.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
The only one I saw that FET doesn't have an immediate explanation for is number 7, the planets. I've never seen anything either in the faqs or threads that could explain retrograde planetary motion.

The retrograde motion is caused by the fact that the planets are rotating around the sun, while the sun itself rotates around the Northern Hub.

?

Kira-SY

• Ja pierdole!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
As for 7, I don't see a valid point. It just says "Jupiter is round, we must be too" which is an incredibly bad logic, because we're not Jupiter. Or has there been an "advance" in RET that we haven't heard about?

We aren't Jupiter, but we are not such an special specie as FET wanna make us think (with I-dont-know-what-philosphy according to), we are only a bunch of bioquimical casualities that provoked something we call "life", and because we aren't special, all the laws in universe are applied to us normally, so what causes Jupiter, or any other planet to be round, it's suitable for us too.
Signature under building process, our apologies for the inconveniences

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »
The retrograde motion is caused by the fact that the planets are rotating around the sun, while the sun itself rotates around the Northern Hub.

Hmm, forgive me here, but that doesn't make sense.  An observer in the northern hemisphere wouldn't see the same relative motion as an observer in the southern hemisphere if that was the case.  What would be retrograde in one hemisphere would be the normal path for the other because they would be on opposite sides of the Sun.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
Hmm, forgive me here, but that doesn't make sense.  An observer in the northern hemisphere wouldn't see the same relative motion as an observer in the southern hemisphere if that was the case.  What would be retrograde in one hemisphere would be the normal path for the other because they would be on opposite sides of the Sun.

You're right. Two far off observers on the Northern and Southern Hemisphere wouldn't see the same retrograde motion of the planets. The stars and constellations are also upside down between the areas. In RE this is explained by the observers being on different sides of the earth looking in different directions. In FE the observations are explained by the observers being on different sides of the sun looking in different directions.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »

This would cause retrograde motion, but not the same retrograde motion we observe. It would also mean the paths of the planets would look very different from different sides of the Earth, which isn't the case.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 04:46:40 AM »
This would cause retrograde motion, but not the same retrograde motion we observe.

Evidence?

It would also mean the paths of the planets would look very different from different sides of the Earth, which isn't the case.

Actually it is the case, even on the Round Earth model. In RE different observers are standing at different angles to the planets.

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 05:07:47 AM »
This would cause retrograde motion, but not the same retrograde motion we observe.

Evidence?

It would also mean the paths of the planets would look very different from different sides of the Earth, which isn't the case.

Actually it is the case, even on the Round Earth model. In RE different observers are standing at different angles to the planets.

How can the sun cause such retrograde motion if when it is observed, the sun is nowhere to be seen?  (i.e. It's night-time).

What I am getting at here is that the sun's position in the sky appears to have no obvious bearing on the motion of the planets in the sky;  In a flat solar system you would expect the sun and planets' interaction to be pretty obvious and predictable.
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »
Here is a diagram of the FE explanation for retrograde motion...

An observer at point "S" would see one motion, one on the opposite side of the "orbit" would see a different motion and an observer at "A" or "P" would see yet a different motion.

So Jupiter, which is currently overhead when you are approximately 23° south latitude, would look different to someone at 15° south latitude and someone at 40° south latitude.  This is something that doesn't happen.

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »

Evidence?

Let me put it another way. This is what the motion of planets looks like. Can you provide a detailed, plausible explanation of how this is possible within FET?

The left pictures show some group of stars from a location ("Location A") on the Earths surface where the stars are directly overhead. The right pictures show this same group of stars seen from another location ("Location B") in the other hemisphere.

Notice that while in RET the stars appear upside-down (as you correctly said), in FET they are distorted by perspective. Also, the path of the planet appears below where it should because the planets are at a lower altitude than the stars.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:40:16 PM by ghazwozza »

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
Those diagrams are better than anything I could have described with words.  Good job.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:43 AM »
number one way of telling the world is round and that space travel is possible. google earth.

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 04:20:49 AM »
number one way of telling the world is round and that space travel is possible. google earth.
Why?
Quote from: General Douchebag[/quote
If Eminem had actually died, I would feel the force realign.
Quote from: ghazwozza
Of course it doesn't make sense, it's Tom Bishop's answer.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 04:32:03 AM »
because it is satellite images, meaning a satellite has been sent into space. Theres also no icey wall around the world, on the satellite. I do believe, ive just fucked over your theory.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 04:36:26 AM »
Or, space-flights are impossible, thus Google Earth and those satellite images are altogether fake.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 04:39:31 AM »
I do believe, ive just fucked over your theory.
That's because you've been here for 20 minutes and you're arrogant enough to believe that you have thought of something that no-one else would possibly have thought of in the 400 000 posts that have been made at this forum.
Quote from: General Douchebag[/quote
If Eminem had actually died, I would feel the force realign.
Quote from: ghazwozza
Of course it doesn't make sense, it's Tom Bishop's answer.