Explain this Picture

• 55 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Explain this Picture
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:14 PM »
Then why do we not see the day/night terminator?

Because the day/night terminator in FE is rounded.

At that kind of altitude we're looking down at the distinct circular spotlight of the sun's light.

Tom, the day/night terminator is not a sharp, distinct line.  It's a wide gradient.  Have you ever heard of twilight?  Depending on your location, civil twilight can last 30 minutes or more.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

LogicIsBetter

• Round Earth Romanticist
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 08:16:52 PM »
I posted a similar picture in this thread:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22119.msg453322#msg453322

where there was a similar discussion to this one. 

The usual explanation is that the window is convex or the camera lens is a fisheye.
A more complicated explanation is that light bends due to something or other to do with electromagnetic acceleration.

In all honesty, you can't really debate a picture like this unless you know the focal length of the lens used to take the picture.  In my case, I did know, because at the time I took my picture, I only owned two lenses, neither of which was wide angle at all, let alone fisheye.

I would like to point out, however, that a piece of bent plexiglass is not the same thing as a lens.  I've never seen an airplane window that was truly convex, only possibly bent slightly.  We should easily be able to do experiments to determine if bent plexiglass causes any distortion of light.

?

LogicIsBetter

• Round Earth Romanticist
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
These images provide great evidence for the curvature of light rays.

The appearance of flat horizons from windows is great evidence that convex eyeballs cause a distortion of the curved horizon making it appear flat to humans.

JohnBreckman007

• Shaken not stired
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
Beautiful pictures guys!!!

the curve is obvious... but in FE that is the edge of the earth and that makes earth really small.... all the FE maps are wrong then  ???

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 10:29:48 PM »
Yes, it's true!  We don't have an accurate map.  :(
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
Damn underfunding.  Anyone care to donate to me so that I can map the earth?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 01:00:21 AM »
Because the day/night terminator in FE is rounded.

At that kind of altitude we're looking down at the distinct circular spotlight of the sun's light.

But all of the shadows created by the cloud tops are going the same direction.  If we were looking at a significant portion of the "spotlight" you would see some variance in the direction of the shadows.

What the hell are you talking about? Stop posting.

Tom, the day/night terminator is not a sharp, distinct line.  It's a wide gradient.  Have you ever heard of twilight?  Depending on your location, civil twilight can last 30 minutes or more.

What makes you think that it would be a sharp line in the FE model?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:01:57 AM by Tom Bishop »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 01:18:39 PM »

What makes you think that it would be a sharp line in the FE model?

At that altitude the dirigible is looking down at the sun's distinct circular spotlight shining upon the earth.

Let's see.  If the earth were flat, you should still be able to see some sort of detail in the background as the sunlight fades.  I only see atmospheric haze that appears to rise upwards, not a gradient of FE extending backwards.  So either the earth is flat and the sun's spotlight has a nice sharp edge, or the earth is round and the sun is still shining behind the horizon.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 01:26:23 PM »
But all of the shadows created by the cloud tops are going the same direction.  If we were looking at a significant portion of the "spotlight" you would see some variance in the direction of the shadows.

What the hell are you talking about? Stop posting.

You don't understand this? From the shadows of the cloyds we see that the light is consistently coming from the right of the picture. If we were looking at the spotlight, it would be coming from the top, with slight variation in angle.

This is not observed, so the spotlight theory is incorrect.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:59:54 AM by ghazwozza »

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »
Thanks guys for taking up the argument in my absence.  :)
I have little more to add, but it occurred to me that a this picture with the contrast boosted might prove useful in demonstrating the curvature of the horizon and drop off point under the atmosphere.

If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
That definitely doesn't look like the big cereal bowl that we were led to believe we would see from a balloon launched into the atmosphere...

The Earth's horizon and the Cloudline's horizon are much like concentric circles. The second circle is larger than the first and thus once penetrated, curvature temporarily becomes less obvious again. His observations were on a clear day so the cloud layer was not observed.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 07:52:18 AM »
You don't understand this? From the shadows of the cloyds we see that the light is consistently coming from the right of the picture. If we were looking at the spotlight, it would be coming from the top, with slight variation in angle.

It's impossible to even see the shadows of the clouds. I'm not sure what you're babbling about.

hanks guys for taking up the argument in my absence.
I have little more to add, but it occurred to me that a this picture with the contrast boosted might prove useful in demonstrating the curvature of the horizon and drop off point under the atmosphere.

Looks like you're adjusting the contrast of the spotlight sun to me.

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:33 AM »

It's impossible to even see the shadows of the clouds. I'm not sure what you're babbling about.

hanks guys for taking up the argument in my absence.

I believe he is speaking about the shadow on the clouds themselves, not the shadow the clouds are casting on the ground.  I understand that you are trying to be difficult because your theory is falling apart, but come on, playing dumb.......really?  I love it when my students do this.  Its usually the beginning of the end.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
I believe he is speaking about the shadow on the clouds themselves, not the shadow the clouds are casting on the ground.  I understand that you are trying to be difficult because your theory is falling apart, but come on, playing dumb.......really?  I love it when my students do this.  Its usually the beginning of the end.

The post specifically said the shadows of the clouds, not the shadows on the clouds. It helps to be specific in these matters.

But after going back and looking at the picture again It's clear that the shadows on the clouds wouldn't play much of a difference between FE and RE. In the shot the sun is just to the upper right of the image.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »
Then why does the atmosphere separate from the Earth so cleanly? If you believe that the earth does continue and the is no edge of atmosphere, then why does the earth cut off cleanly twice for one spotlight. I see an edge for earth and for atmosphere followed by space.

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »
Then why does the atmosphere separate from the Earth so cleanly? If you believe that the earth does continue and the is no edge of atmosphere, then why does the earth cut off cleanly twice for one spotlight. I see an edge for earth and for atmosphere followed by space.

Also, why is there not a large region of twilight?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 09:19:58 AM »

You're looking at an atmosphere which is backgrounded by gloom and shadow.

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »

Where? I see daylight going directly to pitch blackness.

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2008, 04:59:57 PM »
Below is a picture I took on my recent trip to Europe. I see a curve, and unless the "ice wall" is in the middle of Northern Canada, then I don't see how this picture could make any sense unless the Earth is round. I made a straight line across the horizon so that you can compare it with the curve. Notice how the curve is easier to see the farther you are from your screen. This is why the Earth looks flat from up close (when you are standing on it).

Here is the picture:
some obsene picture

All I could see was goatse.
Your mother.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 06:00:38 AM »
Then why does the atmosphere separate from the Earth so cleanly? If you believe that the earth does continue and the is no edge of atmosphere, then why does the earth cut off cleanly twice for 'one' spotlight. I see an edge for earth and for atmosphere followed by space.

Yes, I know your theory. I'm asking how you think it holds based on the observations I listed. Try reading my questions again.

MadDogX

• Resistor is fubar!
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »
The photographs are fake. The students are in league with the lizard army (NASA)

/troll

/spelling nazi
Quote from: Professor Gaypenguin
I want an Orion slave woman :(
Okay, I admit it.  The earth isn't flat.

MadDogX

• Resistor is fubar!
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 06:33:55 AM »
The word may exist, but I can find no evidence that the phrase "to be in liege with somebody" is valid.
Quote from: Professor Gaypenguin
I want an Orion slave woman :(
Okay, I admit it.  The earth isn't flat.

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
though i may be RE, i disagree. just because somebody said something you can tfind someone else once said doesn't make them wrong.  ;)

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 06:37:57 PM »
There certainly is a "curve", but that image is quite frankly innappropriate. This is a family friendly site. Take your smut elsewhere.

The moment I read this, I had to respond.

Mr. Oscar Wilde, you yourself were not an appropriate man and therefore should not be on these forums. I wrote a paper, only 14 pages though, on you and your homosexual beliefs and lifestyles. I realize this really isn't you, as you died a "Catholic" many years ago, but reading this "family freidnyl" quote and then looking at your name created too much irony for me to pass up.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
There certainly is a "curve", but that image is quite frankly innappropriate. This is a family friendly site. Take your smut elsewhere.

The moment I read this, I had to respond.

Mr. Oscar Wilde, you yourself were not an appropriate man and therefore should not be on these forums. I wrote a paper, only 14 pages though, on you and your homosexual beliefs and lifestyles. I realize this really isn't you, as you died a "Catholic" many years ago, but reading this "family freidnyl" quote and then looking at your name created too much irony for me to pass up.

This is your warning.  Take the trolling elsewhere.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

This is your warning.  Take the trolling elsewhere.

I don't find myself trolling anymore than the posts just around 6 above mine.

But, nonetheless I'll stop. My English Literature and historical side got to me, and I can't simply leave an incorrect statement be.

Back to the picture: I agree. I see a curvature, and there's not much to deny it that I've seen as of yet. I will respond again once suitable evidence against the curvature of the horizon of the picture has been presented.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:46:57 PM by OompaHolzbach »