This Theory is Amusing

• 72 Replies
?

Synopsis

This Theory is Amusing
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:33:15 PM »
Now, when I hear theory's such as these that goes against the known science I try to take an unbiased view and ask people to explain contradictions that could exist.

When I found this thread,(someone linked it on another forums laughing at it) I read through it and thought about.

A few things crossed my mind.

1. Airlines and Curvature/How deep would this conspiracy run?

My uncle works as a captain/pilot for an airline. As he flies you can see how the earth curves and the clouds circle around the curvature. He also calculates the curvature of the earth. When you fly from florida to japan, on a map a strait line appears to lead you over the ocean. But because of the curvature of the earth it's actually easier to fly over alaska and follow the land mass. (An easy way to simulate this is to take a string place one end at florida on a globe, then lay it as tight as you can against the globe and run it strait to japan.)
So with all he knows, and calculations he uses, does that mean the goverment has gotten to all airline pilots around the world.

What about private flyers? Hell they gave them to undereducated foreigners in florida.

2. Explanation of tilting world creating the waves.

Now I could have payed more attention in my physics class but you explanation for waves is that the flat world tilts back and forth creating sloshing.... why does this only effect water? When I am standing infront of the ocean I don't get thrown back and forth, neither does the sand right infront of the water.

3. The improbability of such a massive secret being kept.

Ok, knowing as many people as I do who use calculations that require the world to be round, does this mean that the government has gotten to them as well?

How come on their dying bed has someone not came out and said. "THE WORLD IS FLAT!" There would be way too many people to keep quiet. You would hear more stories in tabloids about the world being flat than you would about alien sightings.

This is just the first of many questions. Any explanation would be welcome.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:39:57 PM by Synopsis »

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
Re: This Theory is Amusing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
Waves are created by wind..... Are you high? What do waves have to do with the shape of the earth?

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »
Now, when I hear theory's such as these that goes against the known science I try to take an unbiased view and ask people to explain contradictions that could exist.

When I found this thread,(someone linked it on another forums laughing at it) I read through it and thought about.

A few things crossed my mind.

1. Airlines and Curvature/How deep would this conspiracy run?

My uncle works as a captain/pilot for an airline. As he flies you can see how the earth curves and the clouds circle around the curvature. He also calculates the curvature of the earth. When you fly from florida to japan, on a map a strait line appears to lead you over the ocean. But because of the curvature of the earth it's actually easier to fly over alaska and follow the land mass. (An easy way to simulate this is to take a string place one end at florida on a globe, then lay it as tight as you can against the globe and run it strait to japan.)
So with all he knows, and calculations he uses, does that mean the goverment has gotten to all airline pilots around the world.

What about private flyers? Hell they gave them to undereducated foreigners in florida.

Now I could have payed more attention in my physics class but you explanation for waves is that the flat world tilts back and forth creating sloshing.... why does this only effect water? When I am standing infront of the ocean I don't get thrown back and forth, neither does the sand right infront of the water.

Ok, knowing as many people as I do who use calculations that require the world to be round, does this mean that the government has gotten to them as well?

How come on their dying bed has someone not came out and said. "THE WORLD IS FLAT!" There would be way too many people to keep quiet. You would hear more stories in tabloids about the world being flat than you would about alien sightings.

This is just the first of many questions. Any explanation would be welcome.
money - and lots of it.
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
the tides are caused by tilting of the earth, but that doesnt explain how there are two tides on opposite sides of earth.

i believe the world is an oblate spheroid. anything i say that contradicts this is purely for the sake of argument.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:14:08 AM »
the tides are caused by tilting of the earth, but that doesnt explain how there are two tides on opposite sides of earth.

um, 1 to the left and when it tilts again, the other to the right...

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »
both at the same time means it would have to tilt two ways at the same time
i believe the world is an oblate spheroid. anything i say that contradicts this is purely for the sake of argument.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »
take a flat disc - try and make it tilt both ways at the same time...
another win for FE!

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:26:24 AM »
you can if you bend it. surely that is a win for RE?

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »
flat earth doesnt bend.
definitely a win for FE.

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »
if FE cant bend, how can it tilt in two vectors

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 03:29:46 AM »
take a flat disc - try and make it tilt both ways at the same time...
another win for FE!
Dont you mean RE? If FE cannot move in a way which would explain the tides, then that is a win for RE. Also, what use would someone on their deathbed have for money?
Just noticed my name is actually pretty insulting. Apologies.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 03:42:58 AM »
1. This conspiracy is only known by NASA and the other space agencies of the world, not the governments themselves. And not all the employees of NASA, just the upper echelon. I'm guessing in the early 60's they discovered that space flight is impossible, because without an atmosphere to help with lift, the thrust required to stay aloft and get to the moon was unatainable. Now they could admit this and put themselves out of work, or they could generate a charade that would allow them to continue to syphon billions of tax payers dollars from the government cophers. Also, they promised their dead president they'd walk on the moon before the end of the decade, and they certainly weren't going to let the impossible stand in their way.

Your uncle is using the information he has been given, it's just wrong. And you cannot see the curve of the earth from a plane.

2. I'm going to make the assumption you mean tides, not waves. And yes I don't think the tilting earth can be the cause of the tides. Particularly if the Earth is an infinite plane bisecting the Universe. The best explanation I've heard is that the UA which is propelling the Earth upwards is rotating underneath us, and that is causing the tides.

3. Again, there are not that many people that need to be in on the conspiracy.
Quote from: General Douchebag[/quote
If Eminem had actually died, I would feel the force realign.
Quote from: ghazwozza
Of course it doesn't make sense, it's Tom Bishop's answer.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:08 AM »
You can. Not normally on jumbo jets, but planes like concorde could. Also, It takes more than space agencys.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
Your uncle flies in a concorde?

Who else needs to be involved?
Quote from: General Douchebag[/quote
If Eminem had actually died, I would feel the force realign.
Quote from: ghazwozza
Of course it doesn't make sense, it's Tom Bishop's answer.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »
flat earth doesnt bend.
definitely a win for FE.
Start rocking it back and forth. See what happens. Perhaps water can bend....

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
Synopsis's uncle probably doesn't fly concorde, but thousands of people have been passengers.
Anyone who has been at high altitude, the Ice wall guards, the people who make the balloons, the the people who supply the guards, EVERY LONG-HAUL PlANE NAVIGATOR IN THE WORLD, most observatory staffers, tecnicians who fake photos, etc etc.

By the way, can you answer what use do people on their deathbed have for money? Especially ones with no living relatives.

And thanks, I did mean tides. Apologies.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:34:27 AM by PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic »

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
As he flies you can see how the earth curves and the clouds circle around the curvature.

Another Criss Angel believer has graced us with his presence.

He also calculates the curvature of the earth.

I can calculate lots of things...what's your point?

When you fly from florida to japan, on a map a strait line appears to lead you over the ocean. But because of the curvature of the earth it's actually easier to fly over alaska and follow the land mass. (An easy way to simulate this is to take a string place one end at florida on a globe, then lay it as tight as you can against the globe and run it strait to japan.)

Because of the curvature of the Earth? Apparently not:

http://i37.tinypic.com/npjbiu.jpg

No.

No.

Generally unbelieved.

When I am standing infront of the ocean I don't get thrown back and forth, neither does the sand right infront of the water.

Well, if the whole Earth is going back and forth, it doesn't matter if you stand in front of the water or not.

Improbability != impossible

No. And what things require these calculations?

There could be many reasons for the silence.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

?

spacemanjones

• Magic pushes earth
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »

When you fly from florida to japan, on a map a strait line appears to lead you over the ocean. But because of the curvature of the earth it's actually easier to fly over alaska and follow the land mass. (An easy way to simulate this is to take a string place one end at florida on a globe, then lay it as tight as you can against the globe and run it strait to japan.)

Because of the curvature of the Earth? Apparently not:

http://i37.tinypic.com/npjbiu.jpg

Is this your official flat earth map?

I am just wondering so I can start showing you everything that is wrong with it.

This is very common for FE, they will use their "evidence" to prove 1 point but it does not support any other points.

Let me know when you have an official map.

WardoggKC130FE

• What website is that? MadeUpMonkeyShit.com?
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
That map looks like we are all sliding off the the bottom.  AAHHhhhhh!!1!!

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:37:19 AM »
Is this your official flat earth map?

There is no official map.

I am just wondering so I can start showing you everything that is wrong with it.

Given you have no facts, I'd love to hear all your assumptions and speculations about it.

This is very common for FE, they will use their "evidence" to prove 1 point but it does not support any other points.

The picture is a concept illustrating what it would look like. Exact measurements and scales are obviously not worked out.

It is common, however, for RE to discount explanations because they'll exploit any little thing they can.

Let me know when you have an official map.

Sure.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:07 PM »
Can someone please answer my post? "there are many reasons" none of which you have given...why dont you have an official map?

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »
Can someone please answer my post? "there are many reasons" none of which you have given...why dont you have an official map?

Because no one, RE or FE, has the time, money or inclination to go and map the entire earth. The closest you can get is a distorted RE map: http://i37.tinypic.com/npjbiu.jpg

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 01:26:40 PM »
Can someone please answer my post?

The one about deathbeds? Can you rephrase your question please?

"there are many reasons" none of which you have given

Ok; they are devoted to their cause, and thus will not give the secret away; they are murdered before they can contact anyone; they are held in such a way where communication with the outside world is not possible. Basically two main reasons, either they don't want to or don't care; or they are silenced by members of the conspiracy.

why dont you have an official map?

No one has traversed the Earth to take measurements for the flat Earth cause. Thus, nothing can be to scale without a lot of work and trust of RE sources.
objectively good

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
If no one else knows, Tom Bishop is currently working on a Flat Earth map, and a Flat Earth Wikipedia. Email him to supply him with some information on the Flat Earth if you have some.
Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
If no one else knows, Tom Bishop is currently working on a Flat Earth map, and a Flat Earth Wikipedia. Email him to supply him with some information on the Flat Earth if you have some.
Is he allowed to handle sharp objects like pencils?
I believe the earth is flat because I have a brain the size of a peanut.

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
Sure: point one: thousands of people flew on concorde and saw the earth was round. point 2: more people need to be in on it than the space agencies (see earlier post). the goverment isnt in on it according to  you, why would they silence people?

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 01:55:35 PM »
Sure: point one: thousands of people flew on concorde and saw the earth was round. point 2: more people need to be in on it than the space agencies (see earlier post). the goverment isnt in on it according to  you, why would they silence people?
DER! Because it means that we can claim the earth is flat without proof!
I believe the earth is flat because I have a brain the size of a peanut.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »
Sure: point one: thousands of people flew on concorde and saw the earth was round.

They saw a curve. That doesn't prove anything.

Are you a Criss Angel believer?

more people need to be in on it than the space agencies (see earlier post). the goverment isnt in on it according to  you, why would they silence people?

The government doesn't know.
objectively good

?

PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic

• RE'er (for now)
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »
so why would they silence people? they saw a curve that was not getting closer. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:02:51 PM by PeopleOnBehalfOfLogic »

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
so why would they silence people?

They don't know, therefore they wouldn't silence anyone.

they saw a curve that was not getting closer. 

...ok, so you do believe in Criss Angel?
objectively good